2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  9.80% ABV

Old ale brewed with molasses and oak-aged.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,854 | Reviews: 1,038 | Show All Ratings:
csrbv

4.95/5  rDev +23.4%

A: Very little head despite a strong pour. Has a hazy copper color and a small, cream colored head.

S: The smell of bourbon barrels is apparent as soon as I pour this beer. Also has a sweet malty scent to it with a bit of alcohol as well.

T: The taste is sweet, caramel malts and a bit of honey are the main flavors up front. The oak barrels come through as well with some alcohol bursting through in the finish.

M: Full bodied with light carbonation. Awesome mouthfeel.

D: Another quality brew from Founders! It's hard to find anything that I don't like from them. The oak barrels are a nice touch giving this beer some nice flavor.

05-07-2011 21:07:21 | More by csrbv
taez555

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%

This beer poured an amber/brown body with an almost non existent tan head.

Nose was simple breathtaking. Whiskey, wood, oak, burnt oak, whiskey barrels, malt, rich malt, cherry and vanilla fruit smells. I could sit back and just smell this beer all day.

Taste was very near to the nose but even better. Rich malt and very smooth. Whiskey, cherries, raisins, vanilla, malt, oak, some slight charred flavors and some very very mild touches of chocolate. It's so perfectly balanced from start to finish without a big hop kick or bitterness. Just wave after wave of rich malt, fruits and whiskey.

Wow!!!! What an amazing beer. I dig the oak aged thing, but this by far one of the best. It's so well balanced I could drink it all day long.

06-27-2006 23:37:06 | More by taez555
bonsreeb85

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

Got this from a pal in Illinios. Thanks Tay.

Pours a deep and dark clouded burgundy with sticky lace and respectable head given it's strength.

The smell is vanilla syrup, oak, tabacco, and booze soaked fruits.

Taste is sweet and rich. The alcohol is so well hidden on this insulin-needed sweet-as-hell brew. Very complex and the flavors just explode. It's a barrage of slightly smokey-oaked-boozey and candied fruit flavors.

THe feel to me doesn't get much better than this. So silky smooth, lets call it "velvety". the perfect size:large body. perfect for savoring every SIP.

Wow! I continue to be impressed by the brews coming from Founders, but this may be the best. I can't wait to age a few of these bad boys.

12-03-2009 02:15:16 | More by bonsreeb85
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The bottle has been in my cellar for about 2 years.
With a gentle pour there is a creamy eggshell white head of 1 cm that fades quickly to a thin ring edge layer and wispy islands in the beer.
The color is a rich mahogany hue with deep garnet highlights on the sides of the glass.
Thick with particles from the pour even with an effort to decant, the particles dont settle readily and are suspended as if they are prehistoric insects in amber.
Aroma is rich malt with molasses and bourbony booze notes mixing with a bit of vanilla and brown sugar. I dont get any hops but do expect this to be a sipping beer!
First sip reveals a smooth creamy textured body with almost no carbonation. Very easy to drink on the physical side, and with the flavor kickin in it only enhances my thirst.
I get brown sugar and molasses, some vanilla and a bit of plum and raisin fruitiness. No hops and even the ~10% booze is very well hidden. This beer is drinking like nectar and I wish I had more of it to consume. This is a rich malty brew that I am glad to have sampled and would purchase again on the spot. Highly recommended, maybe even age for a year, this bottle is excellent!

07-27-2011 03:20:19 | More by sulldaddy
cooncat

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Serving from a 12 oz. bottle.

A vigorous pour produces a small tan colored head, but that is to be expected for this style. The head disappears almost immediately, but also to be expected. Color is almost an opaque dark ginger brown .. very dark. Nose is incredible with many mixed fruit aspects, including plums and apricots. Very sweet smelling, with some hint of the alcohol in the nose. First sip is like tasting ambrosia; wonderful fruit maltiness, with a hint of piney hops. The flavor is HUGE, and the alcohol presence is notable. The finish is sweet to the last drop, with no lingering after taste. Mouth feel is so full its almost 'chewy'. This is a perfect Winter Warmer, dessert beer, or excellent finish to a session.

Well done, Founders!
Prost!

01-07-2007 21:47:51 | More by cooncat
mcowgill

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

A - Pours a cloudy reddish color with no real head to speak of. Thin lacing around the edges is all.

S - I love how this beer smells. Great vanilla, oak, whiskey aroma.

T - It tastes just as damn good. A malty delight. The whiskey and vanilla comes through strong with hints of coconut.

M - Excellent mouthfeel, nice carbonation

D - Wow, I have been waiting to try this beer for awhile, not knowing what to expect. This is truly great. It's very drinkable to me.

06-01-2006 22:33:54 | More by mcowgill
jcnd9803

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance: A nice medium brown color with minimal head, but laced the glass well.

Aroma: Sweet, with hints of molasses and some caramel. As it warms, you can get some of the alcohol.

Taste: I thought a well balanced hop and malt profile. A smooth taste upfront with some sweet follow-up.

Mouthfeel: Some may say it's syrupy, but I say it's creamy.

Drinkability: This review is on an 09 bottle. I'll say that when it's early, it can perhaps be too heavy on the alcohol. But with just a year, this thing gets really smooth and is one of my favorites by Founders.

02-22-2010 04:11:27 | More by jcnd9803
beertunes

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear reddish copper. Relatively low carbonation meant there was less than a thin cap of head yet somehow left a bit of pretty lacing.

The aroma is very malt based, sweet with a honeyish background and just a bit of hops present. There was some alcohol hotness at first, but it faded quickly. The flavors were very similar, thick sticky malt, some honey (and maybe maple) flavors, a touch of hops and a nice alcohol taste that fades quickly and leaves a warm glow.

The body is pleasantly full, just short of heavy, and tongue coating. Drinkability is excellent, as long as you're not in a hurry.

Overall, a great brew that compares favorably to the only beer I've given all 5's to, North Coast Old Stock, and is certainly worth your time.

06-11-2010 20:46:49 | More by beertunes
CortexBomb

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

Pour is hazy, coppery brown with no head to speak of. Not much lacing. I like the colour but otherwise the appearance isn't striking. Smell is strongly of malts...molasses dominant too...oak...hard liquor...vaguely reminds me of the Kentucky Breakfast Stout's whiskey-esque nose. Almost mossy forest tones also present. Quite complex.

Taste...the oak bomb from the nose comes through in spades on the flavour as well. Oak and molasses tones are huge with malts not coming up far short of them. The mossy aspect from the smell is also present in the flavour in the background, but still noticeable. Finishes with a strong oak shot. One of the most cask flavoured beers I've had...not of the liquor that was kept in the cask, but just the wood itself. Distinctive and tasty, one of my must buy old ales each year.

Drinkability is good.this is a big beer, and it doesn't conceal it, but I always am up for it. The flavour is as huge as the ABV, and it's meant to be a sipper. It is a reasonable buy at about 12 per 4 pack, and I always eagerly await its release each year. Of the domestically brewed Old Ales this is probably my favourite, especially since North Coast changed Old Stock a couple of years ago.

On the mouth the beer isn't as oily as I would ideally I like my old ales, but it is very close to the ideal. It offers up some nice back of the tongue tingle to keep me interested, and does have a full body to back up the huge smell and flavour.

The bottom line: A nice effort by Founders...truly distinct from the other old ales that are out there with a beautiful oak cask flavour that is worth trying out. One of my favourites from Founders, and I've had most of their portfolio on multiple occasions. In terms of its style, it's my favourite domestic offering, and the taste chracteristics here are almost scotch like in certain ways, which is, of course, excellent. If you like ole ales you must try this.

05-19-2006 23:46:56 | More by CortexBomb
IntriqKen

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours an opaque mahogany amber with a faint head that disappears quickly. Pours almost like syrup.
Aroma will change with ever degree that it warms. Ripe bananas...vanilla...rum....bourbon...sweet and complex.
Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with a nice ...no, wonderful warmth as you swallow.
Taste...ahhh...everything you smell along with some dark sweet fruits...plums...again vanilla, rum, boubon. Again, sweet and complex. As it warms even more ripe banana and rum and boubon flavors. Amazing. The oak or bourbon barrel aging done on this beer definitely works and works perfectly. All of the vanilla sweetness and richness you would expect from that is here and then some.
Aftertaste is chewy dark fruits and alcohol warmth.
Many thanks to CRJMellor for this trade.
EDIT:
Just had a second bottle of this on Nov 10th, 2006.
Everything that I found in the first except noticed a smokiness to the aromas this time I didn't note the first time.
This is an extremely complex Old Ale...sweeter than most and I love it.

10-12-2006 02:30:13 | More by IntriqKen
midaszero

Washington

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

Thanks stopbarking for the bottle

A - Cloudy dark red brown with almost no head at all

S - can smell it from a distance. excellent mixture of dark fruits, caramel sweetness, oak, and also toffee. a little bit of boozes to be detected as well

T - Oak aged raisins covered in caramel and toffee sauce. Nice clean finish with some alcohol to be had in the back.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - WOW I could drink this all the time it is simply amazing.

09-16-2008 23:36:31 | More by midaszero
tmm313

Georgia

4.73/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled: 2/15/13
Drank: 2/11/14

A- Dark reddish, brownish amber in the glass. Poured a gorgeous creamy 2 finger head. Awesome sticky lacing. Some floaties in their as well.

S- Extremely inviting. Rich caramel and molasses, raisins, woodsy oak, vanilla, bourbon, and a little bit of pine on the back end.

T- Very nice. Big caramel, molasses, and dark fruit up front, giving way to slight bourbon, oak, pine, a touch of vanilla, and earthy hop spice. Super subtle alcohol burn and citrus rind on the finish.

M- Lighter side of thick body. Creamy and smooth. Slightly drying with a very nice aftertaste.

O- Don't you just love it when you drink a beer not expecting to like it, but walk away with a new favorite? I. Loved. This. Beer. Super balance, huge decadent flavors, and awesome complexity. I will be buying a sixer as soon as humanly possible.

02-12-2014 14:54:19 | More by tmm313
Zippie9999

Connecticut

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

S: Bottle from a 4 pack purchased at Table and Vine in W. Springfield, MA. (Damn, CT limited beer availability!)
A: Pours a reddish, brown, orange color w/ nice foamy head retention.
S: Sweet, molasses, vanilla, with almost a red-wine quality to it.
T: Sweet, bready, with traces of molasses, burnt sugar, and subtle vanilla.
M: Nice full, and frothy.
D: Phenomenal. A great beer that hides the fact that it's 9.3% Be careful, the ABV on this sucka will sneak up on you and kick you in the ass!

03-15-2009 04:38:06 | More by Zippie9999
BillRoth

Maryland

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Interesting comparing to earlier reviews. I have very little to add.
There is a prominent nose of fruit/malt with hints of wood and aging. Raisins and a touch of alcohol. Warming, and robust as you move through the bottle. An excellent winter warmer. As noted by others the classic modest carbonation of Founder's brews appears again. Fortunastely, for me this what I love any time of year. To me contrary opinions suggest this would say that I wouldn't want another glass of a full cab, or that I wouldn't be having a vintage port in the summer. Folks, this is an awesome sipping beer for any time. I agree with previous reviewer that I will age a few. For those who enjoy a full, warming sipper to enjoy as you relax at end of day...rush to purchase!

05-14-2010 00:43:23 | More by BillRoth
DovaliHops

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

This brew poured a cloudy orangish red with a beautiful head to it. The smell is amazing. Sweet malts with vanilla and a slight fruitiness. I also get a hint of whiskey. I'm not sure how this beer is made, but I could swear that it's aged in whiskey barrels, because I get such a strong whiskey taste after sipping it. It's delicious. Sweet cherries, vanilla, and whiskey in this wonderfully complex ale. Love it!

05-28-2010 09:04:07 | More by DovaliHops
Rob315

Kentucky

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Deep opaque amber with ruby highlights. Thin bone white head turns to ring of foam that sticks around.

Smell: Dark fruits, raisins and berries come to mind, buttered bread, subtle oak and wood notes, sweet caramel and toffee, butterscotch.

Taste: Sweet malt, figs, dark fruits, subtle citrus fruits, orange peel, oak, smokiness, buttery notes. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy with crips finish.

Overall: Very smooth, complex and highly drinkable. Can't wait to have this one again.

06-15-2012 17:10:24 | More by Rob315
kingmaker

Louisiana

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Magohany through and through with a khaki head which dissipates to a thin crown around the glass with some remaining to cover the exposed beer as a thin sheen

S: WOW. This is what I expect of an old ale. Sweet malts, hops, some caramel, the alcohol is completely absent. There's oak but honestly I'd probably miss it in between the malt and hop if I didn't know oak's intricacies.

T: The malt overtakes the hops by far. Rich malts followed by the oak and quickly behind that is the molasses, giving almost a toffee flavor. Again, no alcohol, even subtlety.

M: Medium, bordering on full with good carbonation. Very smooth and lingers on the tongue well after its gone.

O: I'm going to have to hide the other 3 bottles before I drink them warm. This was a great beer, highly complex with the addition of the oak. I'm disappointed that I let this one slip into the fold when I was the the NYC craft beerfest a couple weeks ago and instead focused solely on the KBS so much so that the server knew my name. This beer is an understated powerhouse.

04-10-2013 04:59:37 | More by kingmaker
Gehrig

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

As I perused the frequently aforementioned Neil St. Piccadilly, I wondered aloud to the great manager JD if I had ever tried Curmudgeon Ale, feeling that I had yet somehow not remembering it. "Old Ale with dense raisin and caramel; delicious" was his immediate response. It suddenly dawned on me that I probably had NOT tried it, that although I had seen it so many times with the other great Founders beers displayed, I might simply have thought I had tried it from having seen it so frequently--that sight memory imbricated memory of (not) tasting it.

It came home, it saw my Duvel tulip, and it conquered my palate. Holy wow.

Thin finger of slightly tan foam atop a cloudy brown body; decent lacing, however. Dense nose, rife with raisin and fig, and tons of caramel with a hint of dark chocolate. Splendid.

I cannot rave enough about the taste--reminiscent of barleywine. It has that aged, vaguely musty aroma, ample caramelized sugars that scream boozy rum, but plenty of smooth caramel malt, dried fruit that blends impeccably--at times standing out and at times receding, plus a hint of berry in the finish. Brilliant.

The mouthfeel is a great combination of smooth and rough textures, occasionally funky, bitter, and a little gritty but overall very accessible and smooth. For the style and ABV (9.3%), this is more than a sipper, to me--though it unquestionably packs a punch.

My goodness, I am not sure whether to kick myself for going this long without having tried it, or to be grateful for my having snagged it and embedded it within, rather than presuming its place in, my memory. Just fabulous. Yet again, Founders has justified its ensconced place within my top five breweries around and, with all due respect to the tremendous Bell's, assumed its place in my mind as the best brewery in Michigan. Curmudgeon Ale is truly special, and I am on my way to nailing a couple four-packs for the fridge and the cellar.

A grand achievement.

02-03-2010 19:36:11 | More by Gehrig
JWU

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

12oz bottle poured into my .4L mug.

A- A deep, cloudy amber with hints of orange. Thin white head that retains well.

S- Deep carmel malts, with an almost fruity character

T- Certainly the best part of this brew. Deep maltiness, the sweetness of the molasses is a fantastic flavor mid-sip, hints of chocolate around this point as well. Hops are absolutely perfectly balanced. Gets a bit boozy on the back end and finishes quite like a good whiskey, with oaky notes.

M- much heavier in the mouth than the appearance would suggest, but I really enjoy that part about this brew.

Overall, my favorite "old ale" because the complexities in the taste aren't overrun by the hops, or even by the bitterness (which Founders can do on certain brews) Top notch brew.

08-01-2011 00:34:54 | More by JWU
ypsifly

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

Undated 12oz stubby purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn and poured into a pint glass.

Dark crimson under two plus fingers of light tan. Has a falling effect much like Guinness. The head falls to a cm of foam in a couple minutes but it clings tenaciously to the glass and leaves a wispy sheet.

The nose has more wood than any beer I have ever sniffed. Fresh oak with some sweet malt and yeast aromas simillar to Anchor Old Foghorn. Some earth, spice and warmth from the abv in the background. Very interesting.

Full mouth that is a bit slick upfront but washes away clean.

Just like the nose, this has a strong wood flavor with caramel and spicy hops along for the ride. The alcohol comes across as a well integrated pepper yet it doesn't get hot. Some suggestion of scotch or maybe bourbon and a lingering wood and green hop finish. Unique and veryb tasty!

I could see this being a love it or hate it beer. I happen to love it and am glad I picked up a couple four packs.

05-15-2006 04:36:50 | More by ypsifly
Bouleboubier

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

Why, oh, why has it taken me so long to grab one of these? Heaven knows I've been eying it up long time, coveting it. (sigh) I gotta get a 4-pack of this ole shit.

Pale tawny hue, rich glow, with plenty specks of sediment. That's fine. 1/8" head - gone quick.

Damn wonderful aroma - toffee, caramel, and toasty crystal malt - rich, dense maltiness - with a sweet liqueur booziness pushing it all up into my noseholes, lathering my brain.

Sometimes old ales do, but this doesn't immediately recall a barleywine. Strong British pale all the way. Toffee, booze, sweet dessert wine (not vinous/red/port) highlight the flavors. Assertively malt forward, which is great. And this is the kind of barrel-conditioning I can get behind - the faint essence of oak lingers throughout. Bourbon, be gone!

I don't taste the molasses they mention having included, but it could have certainly contributed to the mouthfeel. Speaking of which, while sporting a micro drop of dry, musty oxidation, is nearly silky smooth, falling quite short of syrupy. Goddamn does it massage the palate while conjuring one of the most soothing warming feelings I've been treated to. The booze is softened expertly by the malt and semi-viscous body. They balanced the shit out of this ale. A winner!

02-13-2011 19:48:42 | More by Bouleboubier
TheRealBigC

Nevada

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was an instant favorite. Almost like a cognac - heavy vanilla and alcohol flavor, but there's more depth than that. A bit of oak and cinnamon, for instance, linger somewhere in there. The bar served it in a rocks glass which was disappointing as a snifter would have been perfect for this ale. I got plenty of enjoyment in the smell as it was, but a snifter likely would have made it even better. I really have to look into more old ales because if they are anything like Curmudgeon, it's a style perfectly tailored to my tastes.

07-28-2012 21:07:16 | More by TheRealBigC
lovindahops

4.65/5  rDev +16%

it snowed today so it's a great reason to tap into a Curmudgeon! Love old ales!

A- curmudgeon pours a fantastic rich copper color with some unexpected lacing on the sides of the glass. The brew glows with the ruby highlights across the glass

S- Get down!!!! It's a MALT BOMB! Sweet sugar from the molasses no doubt pops up along with massive caramel flavors. Brown sugar type theme arises as well. Great whiff of flavor for an old ale

T- WHERE IS THE ALCOHOL??? Unbelievable smooth flavors that consist of the aforementioned sugar and caramel are all over. Some dark raisin and bready flavors tie up the taste profile. This may be the most flavorful old ale I have ever had

M- carbonation and coating of flavor is in a perfect unison. The brew is well crafted to finish well

O- well there is a reason founders is who they are... curmudgeon is an unbelievable brew. Again it is so smooth and lively with flavor that you almost feel like you are drinking a rich amber ale. Unbelievable....

12-03-2011 00:09:48 | More by lovindahops
KickbacksSteve

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

3-4 year old bottle, not much head or lacing. Muddy, tudor brown body. Aroma includes brown sugar, raisin, date, vanilla. Taste includes all of these flavors and a slight hint of alcohol heat. Delicious in every way, one of the best old ales I've had.

08-23-2013 00:55:07 | More by KickbacksSteve
BurgeoningBrewhead

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into tulip; translucent orange red with a moderate white head that fades quickly into a nice layer of foam with a bubble ring.
Smells of nutty sweet malt, raisins, sweet bread, chocolate, molasses, oak, light bourbon, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla.
Taste is soft sweet bread malt, barrel character of oak, bourbon, and vanilla...molasses, brown sugar and some earthy hops ghosting in at the end.
Mouthfeel is smooth and thick and sticky.
Overall, very nice brew as I'd expect from Founders. Malty, los of barrel character, and you'd never know it's 9.8%.

01-08-2014 05:05:42 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead