1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  9.80% ABV

Old ale brewed with molasses and oak-aged.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005)

Petey_the_Quiet, May 03, 2014

GoldenChild, Nov 16, 2011

HarmonMW, Jul 04, 2012

rudabegga9, Mar 29, 2014
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- brown orange glow with bits of sediment dancing in the carbonation, a beige-tan head that slowly accumulates, laces down the glass

Smell- magnificent whiff of grainy breads with sweet malt undertone, light hop tinge

Taste- Excellent caramel and toffee malt sweetness with a breaded mid palate and slight hop-oiled finish. Notes of ripe fruits become apparent after a few sips (plums, dates). Slight yeasty aftertaste

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, velvety smooth

Overall- Really, really impressed with this brew. I heard a lot about Founders and this was my first try from the brewery. I can't wait to try others. This old ale is really big on flavor.

Sark, May 20, 2013

OldSmaug, Apr 19, 2014

Gaddabble, Jun 01, 2014

schreurb, Sep 01, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Lost Abbey Tulip.

Hazy deep amber, cooper in color. Thin quickly disapating head with minimal lacing.

Strong and sweet. I am getting honey and sweet dark fruit, toffee perhaps some caramel in the back.

I love the taste. Sweet and malty. This really follows through with the nose. Alcohol is present hops are taking a back seat on this one.

Thicker then expected. Malty and sweet. This is a sipper to be enjoyed on a cool evening.

Overall I really liked this beer. It delivered what it claimed to be on the label.

Boodoggy, Oct 08, 2010

Juice-O, Apr 21, 2013

JMartin, Mar 22, 2013

J-Bonestradamus, Apr 12, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +6%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip in an aggressive manner. Got a nice 1 inch head out of the deal. Lots of little floaties in here. Had to leave a splash in the bottle so I could swirl out the rest. I love crap floating in my beer, I really do. Nice honey brown color. Head that I forced out of it receded quickly but left a nice collar and lacing all the way down. Not too much, but some carbonation in there.

Smells like bourbon? WTF? I'm not sure. I smell some alcohol but it could be mixed with the other scents in there. Caramel, vanilla and possibly oak smells in there as well. definitely cherries, or a fig smell. It sort of had a cinnamon/raisin oatmeal smell to it.

Tastes big and strong. Nice caramel/ malt balance with some raisins and cherries in there. I was surprised to find that the first few sips while cold were very hot with alcohol. But as it warmed up it seemed to balance out, this is usually the opposite I think. After it warmed it balanced out perfectly. This reminded me a little of a scotch ale, and I love that.

I loved the way this felt. Thick, like a 40w oil viscosity. Chunky enough to chew on, but not oily and lingering. Very smooth and decadent.

Drinkability - I felt this one, and it was the only one I had. Had it been a weekend night I would have had more than one. I think this is a great representation of the style, maybe a little tiny bit too sweet though. All in All, I am happy to have several more of these to enjoy in the future. Another good one by Founders.

discovolante65, Mar 10, 2009