Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  9.80% ABV

Old ale brewed with molasses and oak-aged.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005)
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

pours a dark orange thick looking brooding ale with minimal head and lacing..the smell is strong its malts and caramel with some banana and vanilla bean smells the taste is strong its a malt driven ale with a strong alcohol taste almost to me like a liquor i detect some bourbon and toffee its thick ..the mouhfeel is full bodied malty and sweet with the b4 mentioned tastes and smells.founders is an outstanding brewery with many on my rotation.. this old ale is a sipper and not my style or preference..all though i can tell its well made its just not my thing low scores are due to this not the quality of this ale or the brewer

gatornation, Jul 17, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

This beer has its virtues, but it is not an enjoyable experience. The appearance is a nice cloudy amber brown with lots of yeasty bits floating about. The head is off white, retains a bit, not much lacing. The aroma is profoundly whisky alcohol, dark and heavy fruits, such as fig, rind, apricot, raisin. This is a full bodied beer, quite syrupy in consistency, and just plain thick and overly sweet. There is also an oaky aged quality to the beer. The taste mimics the aroma. You'll get the full gamut of heavy fruit flavors, a cloying candied sugar sweetness, and a syrupy thickness that is just over the top, and that oaky aged quality that is more apt in a bourbon. The killer for me is the alcohol throaty burn. I feel like I'm drinking a sweet whisky drink and it just burns on the way down. This is the type of beer that leaves me with a heartburn afterwards. It's just not drinkable as a beer. For a 9.3% ABV, this tastes like it is thrice that much. Way too much alcohol, and not my cup of tea at all. It's too bad, because the beer does have its virtues, just not as it is presently consistituted. The aftertaste is just doing me in. If I wanted a sweet whisky concoction, I would have mixed one myself.

albern, Apr 26, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

On tap at Haymarket into a 4oz tasting glass...Pours a deep amber with orange notes, a decent tope head, looks good...The aroma is pretty good very sweet with lots of caramel, honey, spice and a little oak. Good start...The taste just doesn't translate, this is borderline horrible. Almost all bitter alcohol from start to finish, oak, and honey try to help out but they can't do enough. I had a hard time finishing this. I just can't believe how bad this is.

Avoid for me.

Dawkins, Sep 28, 2013

Weavagra, Jul 02, 2013

timjim1327, Aug 14, 2013

Lang44, May 07, 2012

This reminds me a lot of the Arrogant Bastard Ale, or at least, the way Arrogant Bastard used to be - a little on the harsh side, except that this beer suffers from a startling lack of complexity and interesting flavors.

Appearance: Medium cloudy, brown

Smell: Primarily caramel with some hops

Taste: Bitter molasses and caramel with a slight medicinal aftertaste. Molasses less pronounced than I thought it would be. Perhaps this style just isn't for me, but I'm not the biggest fan of the taste here. Mainly I just don't like the aftertaste, it tastes like the beer is immature or too much bittering hops were added.

Mouthfeel: Doesn't go down easy. Pretty harsh.

I'm a big fan of Founders but I gotta call it like it is. This brew just isn't that great. It would be one thing if suffering through the harsh mouthfeel and weird aftertaste led to something great, but this beer is pretty one-dimensional.

JohnL9013, Sep 07, 2014