Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  9.80% ABV

Old ale brewed with molasses and oak-aged.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005)
TTAmod

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle with a 4/26/12 date poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy reddish/dark brown with a thin tan head.

S: Smells strongly of burnt caramel, tobacco, hints of chocolate, and hints of coffee.

T: The taste of this beer is obscenely complex and layered. It starts of immediately malty. Again, strong notes of burnt caramel essentially dominate. There are hints of chocolate and leather, too. The hops are a bit more prevalent toward the end. It also turns slightly phenolic. Ends oddly sweet and fruity.

M: Full bodied, for sure. This is one stout beer.

O: In my opinion, this is akin to an imperial-ized English pale ale. It shares a lot of similar tastes (burnt caramel, leather, hops,) but much more potent. It's a nice, interesting beer that commands to be sipped and savored.

06-02-2012 05:20:57 | More by TTAmod
AaronBurr

06-02-2012 04:06:53 | More by AaronBurr
danedelman

3.98/5  rDev -1%

A-strong reddish hue with little head.

S-get a sweet tobacco smell, dried fruit and booze. Hint of oakiness or scotch.

T-very similiar to nose with an added depth of Vanilla bean and dried cacao nibs. Very nice. Bit hot at this point.

M-very crisp with a medium body and dry aftertaste. Very good.

O-may not be the hype this one is put up to but very good though. I love old ales and this may be my 2nd favorite. (I never had my favorite yet) so I always say.

06-02-2012 00:41:27 | More by danedelman

C2H5

05-31-2012 15:08:53 | More by C2H5
BruceBruce

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Great color of Raspberry Brown with no head at all, a very thin line and no lacing.

S: I really cant get much of a scent off of this, may be allergies today, but all I can get is a bit of sweet molasses, alcohol.

T: Sweet first, then the back edges of my tongue taste the alcohol. There is a bit of molasses and a tiny bit of oak, I thought there would be more of it.

M: A bit thicker then I expected but very good.

O: The first time I had this beer it was side by side with Better Half, don't do that. It would have been all 3.5 until I tried it by itself and cold to warm. This is a good beer, I have gotten many now and could drink them year round. I love it, great beer overall. Had to edit this, as it warms up it is way better, room temp you get way more flavor out of this very complex beer.

05-31-2012 01:47:57 | More by BruceBruce
KingBiscuit

05-31-2012 01:35:49 | More by KingBiscuit
pschul4

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Poured from 12oz into my Revolution taster

A- Pours something darker than orange but lighter than brown. Khaki head leaves excellent lacing

S- Some malts and booze, not much coming through here

T- This is like malt juice, in the best way possible. You'll have to try it to understand. Booze is much more subdued in the taste

M- Silky smooth, dare I say perfect

O- Best old ale I've ever had. Period

05-30-2012 19:31:33 | More by pschul4
MarkyMOD

Colorado

05-30-2012 03:37:56 | More by MarkyMOD
maximum12

Always seemed to miss this one when it came around & wasn't going to this year. Grabbed two 12 oz. singles & popped one open during a lively poker night.

Pour is straw yellow, pale enough to need sunblock on the trip in from the car. Nose is nothing to sneeze at: spare sweetness, gentle malts, cool breezes. Suprisingly mild.

Curdumdgeon is that rarest of beasts: a clean miss from one of my favorite breweries. Easygoing sweetness, light caramel, faint pear - then radio silence & a bullet of alcohol. Huh? Another sip, same reaction. Warm. Same.

I have to admit, I don't get it. There's really nothing to this beer other than a light sweetness & touch of fruit. If I'm going to consume an alcoholic drink weighing in at 9.8%, I want something tasty. This is dull; mediocre at half the taste.

05-30-2012 02:52:51 | More by maximum12

05-29-2012 11:57:55 | More by wells9uk
spunk509

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Great clarity. Almost a dark copper or a mix of deep brass and red. Not much more than a thin wisp of a head but that's to be expected with this high of ABV.

S - I was a little surprised I didn't get more oak. Really the only smell that comes through is the light alcohol burn.

T - Almost like a less sweet, liquified version of brown sugar. There's a really nice malt bill as well that balances the sweetness. I honestly think this is better than Better Half. BH was just too sweet with the addition of the maple.

M - It's thin, but not in a bad way. You get a little warmth from the alcohol which is perfect.

O - Really a great beer that I think is under appreciated. This is a hard style to do because there isn't a lot to hide behind. In my mind this is the best high ABV style - better than barley wine. Much better balance overall. I think this is a beer that will only get better for at least a year. I look forward to it.

05-29-2012 02:10:58 | More by spunk509
vic21234

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter after sitting at room temperature from the fridge for about twenty minutes. Bottled on date says 4/26/12.

A- Pours a dark reddish color with about a half fingers worth of head that quickly fades to a thin film along the top. This beer is cloudy with quite a bit of sediment.

S- Smells of sweet malts. I get alot of syrup and molasses in the overall aroma. Some of the oak is hidden in the back of each smell.

T- Lots of stuff going on in this one. Up front I get some sweet notes, with the molasses The 50 IBUs are a bit noticeable with a sort of light hop hit in the middle of the taste. Finishes off with some oak notes. Very complex beer.

M- Drinks rather heavy, definitely a sipper. The alcohol comes through at the back end of each sip but I wouldn't call it hot.

Curmudgeon is a very interesting beer, hard to describe. Lots going on with it, and I can't really compare it to anything else I've tried. I have heard that this one is better with some age on it. I bought two 4 packs, so one pack will be sitting for a year to see how they do with time.

05-29-2012 01:52:27 | More by vic21234