2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  9.80% ABV

Old ale brewed with molasses and oak-aged.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,868 | Reviews: 1,038 | Show All Ratings:
inxy

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Little to no head, poured into a pint glass. Looks thick in the pour. Reddish brown color similar to a vienna lager. No real lacing, just typical hiccups of small foamy bubbles meagerly clinging to the wall. It's hazy, the carbonation looks similar to the haze of tap water. No real movement.

S - I'm not picking up much more than a faint sweetness, ginger, and definite alcohol.

T - I'm liking it. Reminds me of a bourbon mixed drink someone made me once. Oatmeal, bourbon, vanilla, tiny bit of ginger spice. Faint smoke in the finish.

M - Thick, almost syrupy heaviness. Carbonation is persistent throughout, but it isn't harsh. Feels cloudy. Alcohol lightly warms my mouth and chest.

D/Overall - I actually am enjoying it. It's above average, thats for sure. Founders seems to be consistently delivering for me. Higher alcohol, my second beer for the night, and I'm already feeling it halfway through my glass, so probably my last. Nice warm beer for the weird winter we're having in Michigan.

01-14-2010 04:45:42 | More by inxy
Jade

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a bottle of Curmudgeon in a brandy snifter.

A - Light amber color, cloudy (unable to see through) with very little head. Bubbles fizzing up on the sides of the glass.

S - Yum! Caramel, candy malts with hints of molasses and a sour smell of sorts

T - Very malty. Bitter backend, drying on the tongue. Oak and caramalized malts. Gets better as it warms...gets sweeter and tastier more in line with the smell.

M - Medium thick, with litlle carbonation feel. Not the smoothest beer.

O - A decent old ale. A nice sipper, but not my favorite style. Definitely worth a try. Relax and enjoy on a cold evening!

12-16-2012 19:53:25 | More by Jade
ForkAndSpoonOp

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

My girlfriend recently sent me home with an entire box of goodies out of her collection. She raves about Founders pretty frequently, and she specifically pointed the Curmudgeon out as one I might like. I will forgo my usual vaguely witty review conceit, because I don't feel like calling anyone a whippersnapper. Though, in the interest of full disclosure, I am listening to this song as I type:

Poured 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Lovely amber color. The one finger tan head receded quickly to just a halo.

Malt is the first six things I smell. After all that, a bit of caramel and toffee coming through. Raisins and alcohol are both in there, too; making me think of fruitcake.

Very malt-forward again, which makes sense. Raisins, scotch, and that caramel/toffee again. I can taste the booze, but it stops just short of off-putting. A little bit of hop bitterness at the back end, again just enough.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with mild carbonation. Goes down easy for almost 10%, though that's probably the highest ABV I'd find pleasant unless it were masked REALLY well.

Founders has definitely earned my repeat business. Got quite a few of these, actually, so I'm gonna see how they age.

05-20-2011 00:07:58 | More by ForkAndSpoonOp
spunk509

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +6%

A - Great clarity. Almost a dark copper or a mix of deep brass and red. Not much more than a thin wisp of a head but that's to be expected with this high of ABV.

S - I was a little surprised I didn't get more oak. Really the only smell that comes through is the light alcohol burn.

T - Almost like a less sweet, liquified version of brown sugar. There's a really nice malt bill as well that balances the sweetness. I honestly think this is better than Better Half. BH was just too sweet with the addition of the maple.

M - It's thin, but not in a bad way. You get a little warmth from the alcohol which is perfect.

O - Really a great beer that I think is under appreciated. This is a hard style to do because there isn't a lot to hide behind. In my mind this is the best high ABV style - better than barley wine. Much better balance overall. I think this is a beer that will only get better for at least a year. I look forward to it.

05-29-2012 02:10:58 | More by spunk509
YCantWeNotBeSober

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Aged 8 months in bottle. I've had this beer fresh and it tasted young w/cloying hop bitterness. Aging for a while seems to help mellow out the hops, balance the beer, and bring out a lot more flavors.

A- Pours a majestic wood-like amber color. off-white head quickly dissipates, although lacing is present.

S- Sweet malt, Vanilla, Dark fruits (prunes), hop floral aroma, bread

T- Taste follows the nose, starting with sweet, cereal-like maltiness fading to flavors of dark fruit, some pear and other fruits. Finishes with a pleasant dry woodsy bitterness.

M- Full-bodied, chewy, almost a syrup like presence left on the tongue.

O- Another great seasonal beer from Founders. A good cellar beer to stock up and age if you have the patience.

11-19-2012 23:38:43 | More by YCantWeNotBeSober
tfratzke

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Pours a deep orange/brown. Opaque with a small tan head the quickly disappears. Smells of sweet syrup, caramel, maple syrup, brown sugar. Ting of grapefruit.
Taste is of brown sugar, caramel, maple and pretty boozy. Very sweet. Mouth-feel thick and syrupy. Alcohol is very present. Not in a bad way, just definitely a nice warming/sipping brew. Overall this is really good and enjoyable.

11-01-2011 01:36:50 | More by tfratzke
Blitzen15

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Let it be known that this is one REALLY dark brew. After opening the bottle you know you are in for something different because this stuff slides down your glass very slowly.

S - Never before have I smelled a beer like this one. From thirty feet away my dad new I was drinking an ale strong enough to choke a strict lager drinker or possibly incapacitate a lightweight.

T - After the sights and smells of this one hit me in the face I had braced myself but the brace was not necessary here. The taste is really quite good. My adjunct-lager drinking associates were not impressed because it has a bit of bite to it but I enjoyed this.

M - Thick. Really thick. If I were to prepare myself again, it would be for the consistency. I like a thick brew but this beer is made to drink for bragging rights like excessively hot wings that few people really enjoy.

D - The taste is different from other old ales but good, the over powering scent is just cool and something to behold. The thickness of the beer made for a very unique experience so I would love to have another if not for the price.

Purchased at: Ladd's & Co.

Served: 7JUL2010

07-07-2010 15:58:49 | More by Blitzen15
MrBluto

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

I was anxious to try this ale not only being a newly discovered Founders fan, but also because I have never had an old ale.

A - Murky copper color with huge head (I may have over poured) that dissipated slowly. Good lacing.

S - Light aroma but definite touches of alcohol, malt, molasses and even some citrus sub tones (orange?)

T - Sweet start with definite maltiness. Almost too much, but I didn't mind it. Alcohol comes through noticeably as well, but similarly not overpowering. Molasses, caramel and hint of citrus again. Moderate bitter finish.

M - Medium carbonation with oily mouthfeel. Not bad but would have liked a little more body to compliment the sweet maltiness.

Overall a very, very nice ale. Very drinkable. I want to try this again.

09-25-2012 01:56:21 | More by MrBluto
ShreddedThumb

3.99/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

As a Michigan resident, Founders Beers are widely available.
This month, Curmudgeon was released, and I was keen on purchasing a bottle.

Appearance: The color of the beer is darker than I had expected, and I was pleased by the appearance. Obviously not opaque, but a musky, dark orange with pleasant lacing.

Smell: Musk. Very unique. I like it, but at the same time, the olfactory factors do not stand out like other beers.

Taste: Up front, some fairly bitter notes are followed by smoothness. And then, an explosion of smoke, musk, and dark malty tastes erupt on the back of my mouth and tongue. I really enjoy the taste, and if I was to compare, Fat Tire is fairly similar to Curmudgeon; however, Fat Tire has lesser aroma and taste qualities.

Mouthfeel: Fairly enjoyable, but nothing special. The taste is where Curmudgeon excels.

Overall: In Michigan, Founders is extremely common, and the Grand Rapids brewery essentially shares the Michigan crown with Bells (out of Kalamazoo). I will seek Curm out in the future. I was impressed by the taste, considering my enjoyment of Fat Tire and other oakey beers. Look out for this beer, and please pick it up if you have the opportunity.

03-09-2013 23:51:07 | More by ShreddedThumb
Bay01

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Poured into a snifter from 12oz bottle

A - Pours a cloudy orange/ amber with tinges of ruby in the light, two finger head with some sticky lacing

S - Smell is fruit, butter, molasses, and toffee. Fruitier smell than I was expecting

T - Fruity and buttery, the alcohol isn't noticeable at first but then is evident at the finish, some tobacco aftertaste.

M - Relatively high level of carbonation for an old ale, not syrupy but slight chewiness. Body is full and smooth.

D - Surprisingly high due to the pleasant and balances fruitiness, the alcohol doesn't feature prominently so I could have a few of these.

This is unexpected in a good way for the style, could be dangerous due to the ABV

10-31-2010 23:18:39 | More by Bay01
adamdarcy

This is another one that was just consistent in all the five categories. Think "old"..."curmudgeon"....and "delicious". Founder's, as always, really nailed it with this one - the name and the five "senses" really matched up. Smell of biscuit, must, leather, sweat from the collar?...taste is just ....fantastic, very little sweetness that I prefer, but makes up for it with tangy, woody, bourbon-like feel. Not a heavy mouth, solid, but not heavy at all. For me, I didn't taste the alcohol at all, although the 9.8% indication made me hesitate to drink this at 5pm. Try it!!

12-13-2011 04:58:55 | More by adamdarcy
Howler89

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wow. What a pleasure to be rating this beer as my very first on BA. My good friend Clayton gave me this one from his trip to the midwest. My favorite part of beer in the past 2 years has been the friendship it comes with. A special thanks to my good friend StonedTrippin (Ben) for showing me the way.

Now for this founders GEM. There are a couple of things that really stand out for me. I have a had a few beers that call themselves "Old Ales" but I have never had one this crisp. I poured it into a Burgundy wine glass carefully and got only a fine carmel dust of a head. A thin cloud if you will. The color is a very clear redish-orange that reminds me of a good whiskey. THe aroma is very gentle. Really stick your nose in this one to pick up some of the subtleties. My intitual take away is twix candy bars, whiskey, chocolate-covered coffee bean, and almonds. VERY SWEET. Im anticipating a cavity here folks. My frist sip surprises me a bunch. I expect a smooth and heavy velvety liquid, but what I get is surprisingly thin liquid that dances around in the mouth like soda water. The time this spends in oak comes through aggressively in the flavor. Whiskey right up front, followed by all the candy, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, pecan pie, and sweet potato even. THe bitter is in the finish and at 50 IBU id say this is very respectable. The bitterness lasts 3 times longer than the flavor and almost sticks around as if to say "take another sip." Its right on the back of my throat hanging there like a vampire bat. THe alcohol is there, but at 9.8 abv this beer will definitely trick you into getting wasted fast.

I really like this. I have friends that would be more critical I think. Its a pretty sweet brew which I like, but the mouthfeel here is what I see as the standout factor which separates this old ale from others I have had. A great brew next to thanksgiving dinner.

B+ to A- depending on who is drinking it.

03-24-2013 03:27:46 | More by Howler89
gatorhophead

4.33/5  rDev +8%

poured 6oz agressively into a 13oz snifter.

A.) 1/4" head fades quiclky and moves to the edge of the glass leaving some lacing. Color is a medium reddish brown.

S.) This is all about the malts, with some caramel and molasses in mixed in and a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish

T.) just like the smell , sweet malts with strong tones of molasses and caramel

M.) Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation for the style

D.) Excellent for the ABV, I could easily enjoy one or two more, Unfortunately I only bought one :-(

01-28-2010 03:16:43 | More by gatorhophead
czoch75

3.73/5  rDev -7%

I tried this one last night and was expecting a little more but still somewhat satisfied. This one really packs a punch! ABV states 9.3 but feels much more than that.

A: poured into glass and noticed a cloudy amber color. Absolutley no head retention whatsoever and looked a little syrupy.

S: smell was really sweet and a bit of the bourbon comes through.

T: really smooth to start off and a bit of a warming to it. Can really pick up the bourbon taste to it, never had one this prominent before but rather tasty!

M: a heavy drink, little carbonation but just right. Aftertaste was...you guessed it, bourbon/whiskey or spirit like.

D: this is a good one to sip on, a little over the top on the Bourbon taste but pretty good. Should probably let sit for a year to mellow out the taste. I think I will go buy some more before it's too late and let it sit in my cellar.

06-06-2006 14:10:57 | More by czoch75
Steverus

Louisiana

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Up front, I wish this beer had a stronger aroma to help prepare the pallet for the bourbon assault that's to follow.

Appearance is great - a dark, almost burnt looking caramel (which is A+ for a beer intended to seem like the type of beer an old sea dog would down in place of the usual swill).

I didn't catch a whole lot on the nose - some subtle vanilla and oak. Maybe chalk that up to allergies.

Taste is good, but because it comes up on you so unaware, it's a little more shocking to the pallet than I'd like. On second taste, the sweet, oaky character comes all the way forward, bringing this tasty beverage back in to the respectable range we expect from Founders.

Nice and smooth ale. Carbonation balances the rich depth of this beer.

Overall - Worth reaching for another, but one of those beers that, while it won't be forgotten as it is far from average, lacks some of the balance of Founders' other august beers.

07-31-2012 01:28:06 | More by Steverus
kingmaker

Louisiana

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Magohany through and through with a khaki head which dissipates to a thin crown around the glass with some remaining to cover the exposed beer as a thin sheen

S: WOW. This is what I expect of an old ale. Sweet malts, hops, some caramel, the alcohol is completely absent. There's oak but honestly I'd probably miss it in between the malt and hop if I didn't know oak's intricacies.

T: The malt overtakes the hops by far. Rich malts followed by the oak and quickly behind that is the molasses, giving almost a toffee flavor. Again, no alcohol, even subtlety.

M: Medium, bordering on full with good carbonation. Very smooth and lingers on the tongue well after its gone.

O: I'm going to have to hide the other 3 bottles before I drink them warm. This was a great beer, highly complex with the addition of the oak. I'm disappointed that I let this one slip into the fold when I was the the NYC craft beerfest a couple weeks ago and instead focused solely on the KBS so much so that the server knew my name. This beer is an understated powerhouse.

04-10-2013 04:59:37 | More by kingmaker
alexgrahamlv

Nevada

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brown with a strong hint of redness in it. Very cloudy and cannot see through it. No head retention in this beer. In aromas there are cherries as well as raisins. On the taste there are cherries perhaps a slight brown sugar taste. There is almost a stale fruit taste but not in a bad way whatsoever. Full bodied, not heavily carbonated but produces a tingly sensation on the edge of the tongue. I actually enjoy this beer quite a bit. This beer is 9.8% but not a strong alcohol taste at all. Enjoy!

04-09-2009 07:22:06 | More by alexgrahamlv
404UGA

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

I was slightly disappointed when pouring this beer into the glass, as it had a small, fleeting head and was a clear reddish color. After beginning to sip, however, my disappointment left about as quickly as the beer's head. The beer smelled had a pleasant, alcohol laden smell. Kind of had a hint of whiskey to it. The taste is maltier than I expected given the color, but its not overwhelming. Again, kind of reminds me of a good bourbon. It isn't the smoothest beer in world, but is still pleasant. Very drinkable, and overall a great beer. Would gladly have another.

08-03-2010 01:32:32 | More by 404UGA
kdiggidy

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - an aggressive pour yields a nice inch of head that disappears fairly quickly. A dark brown, caramel colored brew.

S - raisins and other dark fruit, slight alcohol.

T - malty, surprisingly sweet for 9.8 abv, especially as it warms. A bit boozy on the back end.

M - very creamy. Just a small sip seems to coat the inside of the mouth very well.

O - a great old ale. It's tough to drink this and not think of how absolutely amazing the Kaiser Curmudgeon was at KBS day, but this beer is no slouch by any means.

Happy Drinking!

05-20-2011 00:27:04 | More by kdiggidy
mklooster

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Reddish gold in color. Very pale head with moderate lacing.

S - Sweet, with a hint of sourness. It has hints of fig and dried cherry.

T - Slightly boozy, very malty. It doesn't taste as sweet as it smells, which, for me, is a good thing.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation - still nice and creamy.

O - A decent old ale. Not as good as 4D or Kaiser Curmudgeon, but still very drinkable .

05-20-2011 21:47:12 | More by mklooster
Amesjeep

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance - Dark Copper in color with a slight head.

Smell - Amazing smell, light molasses smell, followed by caramel malts, and finishes with an almost Belgian yeast aroma.

Taste - Well balanced flavor, sweet yet defined. Finishes like and old ale should.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with some bite, just the right amount of carbonation for this style of ale

Overall - Well Done!!

Poured into a snifter from 12oz. bottle on 10/7/11, bottled on 04/09/11

10-07-2011 05:29:17 | More by Amesjeep
BaronVonBeauregard

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

Reddish brown; quick head. Nose is strong, caramel roasted malt, rich. Taste is on target, big malts, and sweetness. I like it. Has a barley wine taste. Lots of sediment in this bottle. It does hide the 9.8 % abv very well; not a bad aftertaste either. Solid beer, I'd drink this beer again.

04-28-2013 19:59:00 | More by BaronVonBeauregard
dschuster03

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

For my first official BA review, I'm choosing the Founders Curmudgeon. Why? I have no idea. Ever since my middle school hay days I have loved the word, Curmudgeon - although at the time I was rather oblivious to its meaning, and merely fond of the similarly titled Nirvana B-side.

For quite some time in my beer loving days I had searched high and low for this beer. I worked to set up a number of trades to pick just one up to try, each inevitably falling dead in their own tracks. Then one day, as if the gods themselves had been watching my search, it just showed up. And I'm not talking about a trip to Grand Rapids I took in search of the beer (to no avail), nor stops on the same trip to handfuls of local Michigan beer stores (again to no avail), and I'm not even talking about a happen-chance finding of a single bottle in the back room of a store no one would have ever thought to find the brew. No. I mean it just showed up. Seriously - right now, it's all over Cincinnati. I mean everywhere. How about that for serendipitous notion? But hey, I'm not complaining! And either way, it showed up, and then it found its way into my cellar - from the looks of it by the truckload at that.

But I digress. I poured this beer before even navigating to the review page here on BA and my taste buds are getting impatient. It is worthy to note that I have poured my Curmudgeon at cellar temperature into a deep stemless white wine glass - my glass of choice of lately for enjoying anything as particularly malty as this.

This beer pours a beautiful, deep red mahogany, and quickly gathers a finger and a half of light brown head. The head dissipates a little too quickly, but leaves an amoeba of lacing griping tight to the glass. There is a touch of standing sediment hanging out in the beer, but nothing to frown upon for this style.

The smell! This one knocks in with some thick, boozy notes that are backed up by caramel, molasses, deep grape, and, although I can't touch what this particular flavor is, I will describe the overall smell as "burnt sticky caramel corn." I am fighting the urge to find the correct words to describe this beer with my desire to toss this one down the hatch. And in that case... bottoms up!

Burnt Sticky Caramel Corn is pretty accurate if you ask me! The Old Curmudgeon hits the tongue with a quickly waning hit of fresh hops, grazes the tongue gracefully through its candy-like mid-body and rushes down the back of the throat almost like it wasn't even there. This one sits on the tongue after finish and simply bubbles for a while, asking for another sip. The sweetness sits with a light glaze through the mouth and reaffirms my newly coined burnt sticky caramel corn flavor profile. Plus some plum... yeah, a little bit of plum. Once it goes down, though, it's like I'm breathing fire here. Not like some crazy burn-down-the-house fire; more like a sitting by the campfire making s'mores (s'more what?) fire. The booze sits nicely and keeps the warming coming quite nicely. I could take this one out in 40 degree weather in shorts and a t-shirt and keep warm. I like that.

As much as I really like this beer, I'd love to have a little more variety in flavor aside from the aforementioned notes. For what is there, however, I can certainly appreciate the flavors, and there is nothing about this one that says, you can't have just one. On a good night with some good company, I could sip on these for quite some time. Well worth the wait to finally try these, and I am more than appreciative that I had quite a few more of these in my cellar.

Cheers!

11-04-2008 02:21:09 | More by dschuster03
Wiggedout40

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Very surprising. Lots of toffee and brown sugar sweetness both in the nose and taste. Hints of dried fruit as well (raisins and fig). Appearance is deep brown to red in color with a thin head that settles slowly. The alcohol is not overpowering but is present in the flavor. Smooth mouth-feel. Could drink this all day if the ABV was lower.

03-04-2013 03:21:38 | More by Wiggedout40
BarrelAgedBrian

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A: Poured an amber/brown color with minimal head.

S: The malt comes right through in the nose, followed by oak and molasses. Subtle caramel?

T: Excellent notes of molasses and oak. Malt comes through in the beginning, with some nice bitterness from the hops towards the end.

M: Medium body, not a whole lot of carbonation.

O: While I'm not as well-versed in old ales, this one is a particularly drinkable one with wonderful flavors of molasses and oak.

04-03-2013 02:57:55 | More by BarrelAgedBrian