Founders Blushing Monk - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Blushing MonkFounders Blushing Monk

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: granger10 on 09-15-2005

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,814 | Reviews: 590
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Too sweet, not what I was expecting

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a delightful beer. This was so much better than I had been hoping for when I ponied up the cash to give it a shot - this stuff is extremely expensive, 17.50!

Totally thrilled by the faint hint of sour that runs throughout - raspberry can be dauntingly sweet, but here it comes in at the edges and the back; this has deep, nourishing flavor all around, but drinks like a light-to-medium belgian - I went *way* too fast, as did my partner, and we got a little messed up. Terrifically serious beer, for all the love raspberry. I highly recommend it, even if the price pretty much relegates it to 'treat yo'self' moments.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This was a nice change of pace from especially with the hotter weather coming. I don't normally enjoy Belgians nor fruit beers but this was refreshing without being over the top. Alcohol well hidden for a 9% beer

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Big raspberry flavor without being cloying.

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

if you like raspberries and beers > 5% this is the one to snake. Slap a lil bass? Ax man? Is it beer? Is it wine? who cares it's cretzi. grab a case and throw it in your basement. forget about it for a few years. LOVE IT. Drink it with rubaeus, drink it with my dad, drink it and be glad.

2.72/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Sweet, medicinal, unbalanced and sticky. Not good.

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Is this beer ? I guess technically it is beer but it reminds me more of an old Bartles & James wine cooler. I personally didn't enjoy this offering. Too sweet and syrupy for my liking and like most Founders beers in my opinion Blushing Monk is over hyped as well. Pours a gorgeous glowing ruby color with a fantastic raspberry aroma but after that . . . Nothing else appealing to me.

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap

A- pours a deep ruby red color with a small sudsy white head that reduces almost completely leaving just a ring behind

S- Aroma of pure raspberry jam, fresh squeezed raspberries, just pure raspberry all around

T- tart raspberry up front eventually gives way to sweet raspberry marmalade, the sweetness continues to the finish with more fresh raspberry on the linger

M- medium viscous body with low carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a slightly chewy finish

O- a pure showcase of raspberry, remarkably drinkable for the abv

3.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a beautiful dark ruby red body, head is a pale pink and 1/8th of an inch. Head retention was bad and so was lacing.

Smells like sweet tart raspberries, slight medicinal alcohol aroma. No hops present, mostly just sugar and fruit.

Taste is big on sweet, slightly tart raspberries. Syrupy sweet malt is also present, doing a good job of covering up the 9 percent abv. Hops weren't present, and didn't really get much Belgian yeast.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, carbonation levels are average for a Belgian style beer. Head died immediately, which was a big detractor.

Overall I was disappointed with this beer, just too sweet to really enjoy it. There wasn't much head presence either which was unfortunate. Like the style, Love the brewery but this beer was too one noted.

From the bottle. Dark pinkish red body. Sweet fruity aroma. Lots of raspberry taste, but cut with a good amount of sweetness. Similar to New Glarus fruit beers, just sweeter.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap at Glass Nickel for GCBW 2015. It was a pleasure to have this in the context of the barrel aged CBW event in the buzz of the hot and crowded basement of Glass Nickel for the barrel-aged Founders event. (Had it next to Sweet Repute.) You don't think you ever knew this was barrel aged. Is this really 12%+?

4.99/5  rDev +18.2%

Been disappointed by too many raspberry ales lately but this delivers. Pungent berry, nice mouthfeel that is very very refreshing. Brilliant ice cold but warms up to exude even more raspberry notes. Subtle use of yeast and it hides that 9.2% abv well. Excellent all round, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for that raspberry bite - but this is not a sour!

2.87/5  rDev -32%

To boozy for this style, overly sweet, will not be trying this again

The raspberry flavor and the freshness along with the mild taste of the beer wins my heart.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A little backstory - I opened this on a whim while cooking Bigos (Polish stew consiting of a butt-ton of pork, sausages, and venison) because I needed a cup of "wine or cider", thinking this might do the trick. I poured it into a hefeweizen glass (my others were dirty and I am lazy), and took a sip.

"Holy shit, nectar of the gods" came out of my mouth involuntarily, and I RUSHED to my computer to write a proper review.

Pours a deep, vibrant cherrywood-red with overwhelming and intoxicating aromas of fresh-picked raspberries and toasted butter cookies. The head is thin, and the EXACT same shade of pink as Hello Kitty's dress.

As for flavor, this is a thermonuclear raspberry detonation - followed by soothing, rolling notes of butter, biscuits, cranberry juice, a tiny tinge of herbal hops reminiscent of marjoram, and finished by a high note of creamy, pure alcohol burn much like you'd get in a quality herbal vodka. The aftertaste doesn't linger for long, but tastes like a giant mouthful of cold raspberries and makes me want to almost *chug* this magic potion.

Overall, this is straight up the tastiest beer I have ever had in my life - Period! I'm definitely going to use it in the stew, since I shouldn't kill a whole bomber by myself, and will update this review with a pairing analysis.

UPDATE: In Bigos, this is absolutely incredible - the tart, sugary raspberry notes meld into the charred, gamey meat to hit every single major taste bud note known to man. A bite of the stuff, followed by a sip of this beer straight from the fridge, was better than sex - it makes the stew's gamey notes (especially the fresh pork) surge through my entire face, and the stew brings out the cordial-like alcohol burn that I love so much. Best pairing EVER.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a bright ruby red with a two-finger pink head. The head leaves a light amount of soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is raspberries and maybe a light yeastiness.

T - The taste follows the aroma with juicy tart raspberries throughout. The raspberries produce a nice balance of sweet and tart.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is creamy and syrupy. Dry finish.

O - I'm really glad Founders brought this back. The flavors are a beautiful balance of sweet and tart. Delicious.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quick review. It really does drink like a beefed-up rubaeus, a bit more tart, the Belgian yeast gives it significantly more body & the carbonation is pretty low. ABV is masked quite well, which adds to the drinkability of this brew. Really nice!

World of Beer Easton, draft poured into a 5 oz. tasting glass.

As the description implies, it's sort of an imperial Rubaeus. Light, fruity and full of raspberry flavor. Goes down pretty smoothly and the alcohol is barely noticeable, which could be trouble for 9.2% ABV beer...If you like raspberries or fruit beer then "yes", if not, then "no".

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a reddish color with a bubbly head and only slight lacing. Strong aroma of raspberries and fruits. Taste is of raspberry on steroids and for me that's not a bad thing. Crisp and carbonated with a clean feel. Overall, Blushing Monk was a highly enjoyable fruit beer that hit the spot, though, it may not be liked by all.

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Said the same about flying fish exit 3, beautiful blend of fruit and body, hard to taste the high abv. Not overly sweet, but great body and taste. Had it on draft and loved it. Then again, founders always comes through.

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ever take a Gose and amp it up a notch or two? That's what happened to me when I had this last night when I ordered this at the Cloverleaf Tavern. Loved it but boy, was it strong and intense and almost didn't fit the category of Fruit/Vegetable beer. I did enjoy this but it took a while to get down and there weren't as many nuances to this as I would have liked, in addition.

Had this served in a snifter glass which allowed the gorgeous red hue to shine, but there wasn't a lot of light head to this. Tons of raspberries from start to finish but not a syrupy feel to them like Chambord. Slick mouthfeel with a dry finish that let the yeast show through once the tarntness faded away. Reminded me of champagne because of how it hit the palate, even though I couldn't see a lot of carbonation in this. Strong, one-dimensional, and appropriate for the season was what this turned out to be.

While not something to be enjoyed quickly, it didn't take a while to finish this off but the potency of it kept me from ordering another. Like the Southern Tier Creme Brulee, this was something that you'd probably love or hate because of how intense and straightforward it was. More of the self-described "Imperial Rubaeus" a typical Fruit/Vegetable beer, it almost came across like a Lambic on another level. Drink this if you want to kiss winter goodbye and never look back!

2.45/5  rDev -41.9%

Ok, I understand its made with crazy amount of raspberries, but that's all I get. From the nose, to the taste, to the overall. So one note its sad. Give me more funk, or tart, or SOMETHING. Not my cup of tea...

4.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle split between two Sam Adams glasses. Pours cherry red with a frothy, 2 finger pink head of foam. Smells like..raspberries! Also some subtle notes of green apples and bananas. Mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated. Almost puts me in mind of a champaign, only much heavier. Lots of tart fruit up front, mainly raspberries. Finishes dry with a slight alcohol presence on the aftertaste.

There's not really a whole lot to say about this beer. If you like raspberries, or are a fan of red wine, this will be right up your alley. My wife, who isn't too crazy about many beers but likes wine, loved this. I'm on the fence. It's pretty tasty, admittedly, just not much like any beer I've ever had. I'll probably buy another bottle to save for a special occassion, but this isn't something I'd buy, or even drink, on a regular basis.

3.74/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

2015-04-24
750ml bottle split between a pair of large snifters. 2015 bottle with no dates or codes that I can see.

Pours dark pink/ruby, pretty clear, with a medium light pink head. I have to admit, I don't find pink beer attractive. It makes me think of Bud Light Chelada. Smell is super raspberry. Very slight yeast. Not much else. So if you like raspberries...yes, it smells good.

Taste is sweet, balanced with tart -- quite tart -- and very raspberry. It's actually quite tasty. If you like raspberries. There is an element of unreality to it -- and it doesn't taste much like a beer.

Mouthfeel is dry and nice. Overall -- tasty beverage.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving: Bomber poured into a Founder's taproom snifter. No bottling date, but just under 3 months old.

A: Pours a nice bright rose red. Foamy 1/2-finger head with an aggressive pour. Very clear.

S: Loads and loads of raspberry, cranberry and strawberry. Not picking up much of the Belgian yeast character. Smells very fresh and sweet.

T: Explodes with sweet, fresh raspberry flavor up front, followed by a cranberry twang at the end. Very rich and sweet. Again, not picking up much Belgian yeast character at all here in the flavor.

M: Nice and full, smooth, balanced. Practically no trace of the 9.4% ABV. Aftertaste is very clean. Perfect carbonation.

O: Never had a chance to try the original version in bottles, so first approach here. It's very much in line with Rubeaus, almost to a clone really. Side by side, I could probably tell the difference as I think Rubeaus is a touch sweeter and more carbonated, drinking more like fruit juice. But the Belgian-style approach is not the unique thing there, as I can't really detect that component. And honestly, I don't think it needs it. This is a great fruit beer on it's own. Is it that different from Rubaeus? Not really, but it's still a damn good beer. Super drinkable. I'm practically chugging this beer right now. It's also a great dessert beer.

Recommendation: Must try for any fruit beer fan or fan of Founder's. Don't be intimated by the bomber as it's super easy to put one away by yourself if you love juicy, sweet, fruit beers on a nice warm day.

to view more.