Founders Blushing Monk - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Blushing MonkFounders Blushing Monk

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: granger10 on 09-15-2005

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.
Ratings: 1,927 | Reviews: 612
1.39/5  rDev -67%

This beer is beyond sweet. Cloying, overwhelming, beyond sweet. Pours decent with nice red color, clarity and head. Smell is strong raspberries, but no surprise there. The Belgian notes are completely lost in the fruit flavor, and the acid overwhelms everything else. Can't even taste the malt. No sense of balance; it's like drinking thick syrup. I would avoid this beer like the plague.

1.82/5  rDev -56.8%

Not a fan, way too sweet, thick & syrupy, very much like children's cough medicine.

1.87/5  rDev -55.6%

Poured into my Founder's snifter.

Pours a dark red with a mountain of pillowy pink foam. Is this Nestle Quick? Lacing remains. Incredibly sweet on the nose. Raspberry puree. Taste is of strong raspberries. Syrup-like in the mouth with a heavy dose of carbonation. Followed by an alcohol burn. It sits deep in my chest. Nauseating and painful. Almost like my chest has a cramp in it.

Sickeningly sweet followed by a god awful throat/chest burn. Gee can I buy some more of this? Worst beer I've had from Founders hands down.

Raspberry wine with more raspberries than one can imagine. Not my thing, I don't care for wine and hated this. Luckily my wife loved it. No false advertising here, tastes exactly like what they describe.

2.06/5  rDev -51.1%

This had a weird medicinal taste for me. It was almost like drinking cough syrup.

2.21/5  rDev -47.5%

A- Pours a dark red color with a handful of pinkish colored bubbles. I knew I was in trouble right there. Pretty much no head retention or lacing.

S- There it is a ton and I mean a ton of raspberries. Smells very sweet, yeast, and a light touch of bread. Don't get me wrong I like berries, especially when I run into one of the berry trees while I'm out hunting. I just don't really like them in my beer.

T- I thought I was ready to get smashed on fruit here, but nope I wasn't ready by any means. HUGE amounts of raspberries, with a bit of booze to it and a touch of malts. Way too sweet.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

O- I'm not digging this one at all. Tastes more like a wine cooler than a beer, but to each their own.

2.29/5  rDev -45.6%

Outlier detected - for the price tag this beer should be amazing. It just awful. I hate Founders and this was the final straw. I will never spend another penny on their overhyped crap products.

2.4/5  rDev -43%

I have had this several times. A generous friend shared a bottle with me a few weeks ago. Review from notes...

A: Pours dark with a pink/reddish hue. A small head forms and recedes to nothing. Not much lace to speak of.
S: The aroma is raspberry syrup, puree and brown sugar.
T: Wow, that is raspberry syrup and puree all the way. Cough syrup and bubble gum Tasts artificial. Cloying sweetness and brown sugar. This is bad.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Though this needs to be way more crisp and dry for my liking. Plenty of alcohol, mixed with artificial fruit and cloying sweetness makes this hard for me to drink.

This is pretty bad. The fruit flavor seems very artificial to me. To much like childerens cough syrup. I love Founders, but this is crap. Not something I would recommend.

2.45/5  rDev -41.8%

Ok, I understand its made with crazy amount of raspberries, but that's all I get. From the nose, to the taste, to the overall. So one note its sad. Give me more funk, or tart, or SOMETHING. Not my cup of tea...

2.59/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks hoppymeal for this one.
Large capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

The appaearance is very nice, a deep pink, with a light pink head. From here, it is all downhill.
The aroma has a faint yeastiness, and raspberries; lots of raspberries.
The body is medium, and the flavor - raspberries. Excessive raspberries, which do not allow any other flavors to come through.
This one is a miss. The New Glarus version is vastly superior.

2.6/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really disappointed in this beer. It was glowingly sweet and the fruit flavor was overpowering. The mouthfeel was syrupy and I just could not enjoy it at all. There was little to no head on this beer and the carbonation was severely lacking. I'm not sure what the hype is about. I like Founders but this one was a miss.

2.63/5  rDev -37.5%

I love Founders' beers and, despite the cost for them out here (I have to buy them in the Philly area), have never had any reason to complain once I tasted the product. The Blushing Monk was expensive (to say the least), but as it was from Founders, I figured it would be more then worth the price. To say I was surprised and disappointed would be an understatement.

The beer pours a very red raspberry color with very little head and pretty much no lacing. On the nose the beer is very sweet smelling, reminding me of Hawaiian punch spiked with alcohol. On the palate this beer is nothing short of a disaster and I just don't get it. It sort of reminds me of a fruit flavored lambic, but it's much sweeter. The beer finishes with some sourness, but it's not enough to offset the sweet cool aide/fruit punch flavor up front.

On the bottle I have, the abv. was listed at 12.3%. I only wish it were the 9.5% listed on this site as 12.3% was clearly too high for a beer like this. The combination of fruit punch sweetness, coupled with the alcohol, made this beer nearly undrinkable.

A very poor effort from this otherwise outstanding brewery. A beer to avoid IMHO.

2.68/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an Eau Benite flute on 11/18/11; shared with PDXHops

2011 vintage

"Whoa. Whoa. Holy mackerel. Whoa."
-PDXHops

Deep ruby hue while poured. in the glass it's darker, but still has a glow about it. Nearly grape juice hued. One finger head - the color is that of strawberry ice cream. Soapy layer of retention.

Even raspberries don't smell this much like raspberries. If the aroma wasn't sweet enough, well, just take a sip old bean. Painfully sugary - the raspberry is simply out of control. The only redeeming quality is that it finishes sort of toasty and dry. I don't know how it manages that. Full, sticky, sugary feel. Moderate carbonation situated underneath the sugar tones.

Blushing Monk is amusing for three sips - anything beyond that is overkill.

2.7/5  rDev -35.9%

I guess I do not like sweet fruit flavored beer. This tastes like sweet rasberry soda, if you don't like the taste of beer this is the one for you.

2.72/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Sweet, medicinal, unbalanced and sticky. Not good.

2.73/5  rDev -35.2%

$13.59 a bottle at Woodman’s East. Wowza! 12.3% Pours a crimson lavender with a huge pink tinged white head. Dissipation is rapid despite a lot of visible carbonation. Aroma is boozy and very powerful, consisting mostly of raspberries. Very tart and boozy flavor of raspberries. Full to the point of being heavy. Raspberry flavor is out of this world but it’s one dimensional, not that that is necessarily bad. I think this beer is exactly what the brewers were going for. It’s really quite astounding. Personally, however, I am not very happy with it. It’s just too big, too strong, and too much of a good thing. I also don’t like that the body, at least to me, seems to come more from alcohol then from raspberries. Impressive it is, simply for being so big and so fruity but I really did not enjoy it and had a tough time finishing the bottle, even with a little help.

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2012 vintage was amazing, with a frothy head. 5 rating for Look, Smell, Taste, Feel and Overall.

2015 vintage is sub par. Utterly disappointed in this brew. They changed the recipe and not a fan.

2.86/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Almost like a zinfandel wine...

2.87/5  rDev -31.8%

To boozy for this style, overly sweet, will not be trying this again

2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

Sweet fruitiness numbs the palate.

Presentation: 750 ml brown capped bottle. Lazy label with Founders branding in soft faded scarlet hue with the name of the brew and a cut out of a raspberry and faint images of the fruit in the white background. Shows vintage 2001, and 9.2% Alc. by Vol. Poured into a snifter.

A - Deep crimson pour, short pinkish head with moderate to low retention, and little lacing.

S - Intense raspberry nose, heavy and sweet. Quite mono-chord, faint yeasty touch in the background.

T - Ouch, the nose was actually a shy advanced of the things to come… Brutally sweet raspberry. Hefty sweetness destroying any nuances that this brew might be riding on. Imaginary yeasty touch in the distance, cloying sweetness screaming raspberry, and screaming annoyingly loud.

M - Medium-full body specially after the intense sense of the brew, moderate if fair carbonation that does not entertain much the brew beyond its hammering identity.

O - Not a horrible brew but the overwhelming and mono-chord fruitiness seriously compromises the drinkability. Two or three ounces as a curious taste are actually more than enough.

Notes: Founder's brews some of my all time favorite brews, and then stuff like this… It is not as bad as their Cerise but the experience with their fruit brews… This one lacks the complex boozy punch of say DFH's Fort, or the tart nuances of a good lambic. Quite surprised by the hype generated by this brew, and that this one was selected as the first release in big bottles.

2.9/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a purplish red color, with a short pink head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all sweet and tart raspberries. I really couldn't detect much else.

T: The taste hits with a tangy blast of raspberry flavor and a little bit of sweetness and creaminess in the background. The malt character is thin there's very little hops presence. The after-taste is tart and sour.

M: Crisp with a little smoothness, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry.

D: A little tasty especially if you're into the raspberry flavor, goes down ok, not very filling, strong kick, this just is not my type of beer, particularly since I could see too much in the way of beer characteristics through the intense raspberry flavor.

2.93/5  rDev -30.4%

Reviewed on 8/1/08. Bottle. Wow, I expected a lot more from this beer based on the ratings. Pours a dark red with no real head. Aroma is quite pungent, of sweet raspberry (juice-like). Aroma of slightly tart raspberry sweetness (still juice-like), also some cranberry. Quite sweet and fruity. This is a little stronger than juice but it's practically the same. I was hoping that such a renown fruit beer would have a stronger malt background, but this is not the case. It's alright to drink but it's more like juice than beer. Are people rating this based on reputation?? All I know is that there are tons of fruit beers with quite low ratings that are more delicious than this beer. Another point of interest is that a full glass of this beer is a little hard to take (in comparison to those that rated off of a 2-4 oz. sample). I'd pass on this in the future...
6/4/6/3/14 (3.3/5)

2.98/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Aroma is medicinal and I get more cherry and cranberry than raspberry. Taste and mouthfeel are cloying with hints of cranberry juice on the flavor. Oily mouthfeel that coats the palette with flavors that I don't find to be particularly enjoyable. Quite disappointing.

2.99/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Found this to be overly sweet and one dimensional. Its a raspberry bomb. I would like some more complexity. I won't be buying again at 16.99 a bot.

deep violet mahognay, light head. smells of berry fruit sweetness - almost no detectable beer notes, perhaps slight yeast. taste is a raspberry tart dominated affair almost entirely, that becomes a lingering sweet aftertaste. not artificial fruit tasting, but simply overpowering with the berries. this is a dessert beer that's probably best shared. founder's is in my top brewers and makes amazing stuff, so my lackluster score for this brew is simply indicative of my personal preferences. my wife (who isn't a beer drinker) liked it and finished the bottle. =)

Founders Blushing Monk from Founders Brewing Company