Founders Blushing Monk - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Blushing MonkFounders Blushing Monk

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.20% ABV

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.

(Beer added by: granger10 on 09-15-2005)
3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

A- Dark plum with a thin red foam. Good lacing. Not much retention

S- Very sweet. Can smell the raspberries. Pleasant.

T- Tastes almost like wine or juice. Incredibly sweet, but well balanced for the abv.

M-Decent body. Light.

O- Usually I am not a fan of flavored or sweet beer. Great beer, just a little sweet for me. Still delicious to have every once in a while.

Jammies, Jul 10, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a Duvel oversized tulip

A - Deep shade of burgundy pour, sticky bright pink one finger of foam that sticks around.

N - Big wafting, boozy notes of fruit juice, fresh raspberries, grapes, cranberry cocktail, raspberry puree, all intermingled with a saison-like Belgian white pepper funkiness; crisp pear, short-lived suggestions of dark malts, raisin bread or even rum cake, carmelized sugar.

T - Fruit juice, heavy on the raspberry puree, cranberry juice, ripe cherries and grapes, slushy and syrupy mouthfeel bogs down the palate as the beer warms; a lovely component of cranberry cocktail, almost reminds me of a strawberry daiquiri; a little toasted marshmallow, dry sherry, raisin breadiness resting agianst suggestions of barnyard and wet hay leads into a long and slightly puckering finish.

D - A very tasty, savory type of beer, refreshing despite the 9.2 abv, but the alcohol is totally hidden - a unique quality that I have learned to love from Founders.

biga7346, Jul 10, 2011

2011 vintage

Deep ruby body, bright pink head that recedes into nice retention.

Impressive tartness on the nose, some raspberry.

Taste is incredible, wild raspberry, easily the best raspberry I've had, malty and sweet to balance the tartness.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth and saves this from being syrup.

Overall, an impressive raspberry strong-- I heard the description and now I believe it.

zaphodchak, Jul 10, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Great Lakes Christmas Ale wine glass. Pours a dark ruby red with a thick pink head. Nose is all raspberries with a little bit of malt behind it. Taste is sweet raspberries up front, with a tartness at the finish that really balances it out and keeps it from being the least bit cloying. Really well done balance of sweet/tart. Some strong malt flavors as well. Very faint alcohol taste. Nothing to complain about in mouthfeel. Overall this is a winner. It's a big burly fruit beer with a high ABV and perfectly balanced. This might bump Belgian Red out of my top spot. Need to have it some more first. Well done, Founders.

PenguinBeerFan, Jul 10, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

After thinking I'd missed out on the release of this beer, I stumbled upon a bottle while out shopping early this afternoon. 750 mL bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Blushing Monk pours a deep purple, borderline magenta, with ruby highlights. There's a vibrant purple and pink one-finger head with some staying power. A slight swirl of my glass conjures up waves of purple lace. Beautiful.

The smell is, appropriately enough, raspberry-forward. Some tartness, but the aroma is mostly sweet. Pleasant, if one-dimensional.

There's a very rich raspberry flavor in the taste. Sweetness again, with a tartness that reminds me of lemons. The alcohol is well hidden, but there's a definite alcohol bite. It's very faint, and I wouldn't call it a "burn" - more like a hint of booze that imparts a slight medicinal quality.

The mouthfeel is perfect for a beer this big and sweet: very thick and lush, with just a hint of carbonation. This drinks like a dessert.

Going into this beer, I assumed it would be something of an imperial Raspberry Tart. There are definite similarities between the two beers, and while I prefer New Glarus' take I have to remind myself that Blushing Monk's ABV is over twice as high - from a purely technical standpoint, that's pretty impressive. I couldn't see myself drinking this often or in mass quantities, but it's excellent for what it is.

amphion1065, Jul 10, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

750 ml bottle, 2011 vintage. Served in a flute, the beer pours a ruby red/purple color with about a half inch dark pink head that went away quickly. Not much lacing. The brew smells like fresh sweet raspberries, raspberry jam and a bit of tart raspberries. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes mostly like sweet raspberries and raspberry jam along with some tart raspberry, too. Also, there's a little bit of bready yeastiness noticable. But this beer is definitely all about the raspberries! Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's creamy and has moderate carbonation. It's smooth and very easy to drink. I think this is a pretty good overall brew, it's certainly one of if not the best raspberry beers I've ever had. Even at $14.99 a bottle I'd definitely buy this again in the future, I thought it was worth the money.

bluejacket74, Jul 09, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured 750ml bottle into Lindeman's flute glass.

A: appears a deep dark magenta, crystal clear, the head starts as 2 fingers of bright fizzy pink foam and dissipates to a rose colored collar. Some pink lacing as well.

S: the nose begins with pungent tart quality with acidic tones and a hint of Belgian yeast. After the onslaught of tartness, it is all raspberries. The nose becomes slightly sweet and features delicate waves of fruit. Very nice.

T: the flavor starts off surprisingly tart but not overly acidic. As the tartness settles, the flavor is all raspberries. Nice balance between sweet and sour. The Belgian yeast shows up at the end and makes for a dry finish. The abv is undetectable.

MF: The carbonation is moderate, perhaps a touch lower than I'd expect for the style. The body is big but never borders into being syrupy.

O: this is a well executed and unique fruit beer. It does a great job of putting raspberries on a pedestal while still retaining qualities of a Belgian style ale.

homebrew311, Jul 09, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At the time of this review, this beer is #6 on the best of Fruit / Vegetable beers. Bottle shared by Thorpe at an impromptu tasting the other night, poured into a snifter.

WHOA!!!! This beer is dark pink to purple, incredibly dark ruby. Amazing color, makes me take a step back. Thin white / pink head of small bubbles, no retention, no lacing, moderate carbonation. I am shocked.

Aroma...eh....doesn't smell like very much to me. I am now very curious what it tastes like.

Like raspberry soda. Medium to light in body, moderately carbonated on the palate, easy drinking, bright, raspberry from start to finish. Sweet, it is a truly amazing beer. I just had a thought, maybe I should do a side by side with Raspberry tart to compare the two. Another good beer from Founders.

drabmuh, Jul 09, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -27.1%

A: pours a crimson red with two fingers of frothy pink head that recedes into a thin pink cap with a little lacing.

S: Raspberries, raspberries, raspberries.

T: Raspberries dominate yet again--maybe a slight yeast flavor? Or maybe just wishful thinking.

M: medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is sweet and has a juice-like consistency.

O: It pains me to have such a meh beer from my favorite brewery, but such is life. It's not a bad beer, but it's so completely one-dimensional and lacking in complexity that I could never call it good. Add onto that the fact that it's very expensive ($15 for my bottle) and you have an all-around disappointing beer.

n2185, Jul 09, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -24%

A: The color of the body is a dark red and there is almost no head on it.

S: The dominant aroma is pure raspberries.

T: The raspberries flavor is rather heavy upfront, but it is closely followed with malt sweetness and slightly bready. Cloying sweetness, which really inhibits everything.

M: Kind of thick with significantly less carbonation than I would like in the beer.

D: The cloying sweetness and heavy mouthfeel massively damages the overall drinkability.

OnThenIn, Jul 09, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 750ml into an Ithaca Excelsior Tulip. Big carbonation release noise when I popped the cap.

A: Deep purple crystal clear (although it was tough to tell seeing how dark it was) - tons of tiny little bubbles rose to the top leading to a 2 finger foamy light purple head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Quite frankly, raspberries are pretty much the only thing in the nose here but it is full, it is potent and it is one of the nicest smelling fruit beers outside of NG Raspberry Tart.

T: The wonderful flavor of raspberry fills my mouth and then some. Hits me with the sweet and the gets me to pucker like I just ate a sour patch kid!

M: Well carbonated, light body, tart sour makes me pucker and that hangs on for a few minutes that makes me reach for another sip.

O: A wonderful Fruit beer that is pretty and delicious. Well done yet again, Founders.

suspect, Jul 09, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter. 2011 release - can't find a date but assume it was bottled in June.

Appearance: Gorgeous ruby red with thick pure pink head, leaving nice pink lacing. When there is only a little liquid left in the glass, the beer looks more pink than red.

Smell: Raspberry (of course), pepper and very light clove & banana from the yeast. Manages to smell sweet, dry and tart at the same time.

Taste: Wow - strong sweet and tart raspberry juice. Slightly earthy, but otherwise not getting much Belgian yeast. Ends with a touch of pepper to go along with the lingering raspberry tartness.

Feel: Very thick, chewy and warming. Doesn't really feel like a beer (more like carbonated fruit juice mixed with Port), but it suits it just fine.

Overall: Very impressive, and I like it quite a bit more than Cerise (never tried Rübæus). However, despite the gorgeous look, tantalizing aroma and strong taste, it is ultimately too far outside the realm of beer (even Sour Ales seem more like "beer" to me) to want to seek this out again. So I am "only" giving it a 4 for overall.

bsp77, Jul 08, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -18.8%

I wasn't overly impressed with this beer, but then again I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet fruit beer.

It pours a deep red color. The color of a red wine. It also has a big fluffy pink head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

There is a nice aroma of fresh raspberries.

The taste is of course big on raspberries. Almost to the point where it is overpowering. You can't taste any flavor from the malt. I don't taste any of the characteristics of a typical belgian beer except for maybe a slight sour taste.

The flavor of this beer reminds me more of a raspberry wine than that of a beer. Having that overly sweet flavor that is common with fruit wines.

Overall I wasn't exactly impressed with this beer. There was a lot of hype about Founders releasing this beer again as part of there limitied edition series. Don't get me wrong I love most other Founders Beers, but not this one.

clint1019, Jul 08, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked this up fresh - 2011 release. Aggressively poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Appears a very dark purple, almost plum-like, with a thick, fluffy dark pink head. The head leaves great lacing, and actually never really completely dissipates, leaving a nice ring around the edge of the glass.

The nose is full of sweet raspberry aromas, as well as some nice yeastiness and vanilla. The aromas are quite noticeable, and not laid-back at all. The taste starts out very sweet, lots of raspberry again, then moves much more tart. Each sip is very enjoyable and the extreme difference in sweetness and tartness really adds to that. The aftertaste is tart, but as the tartness goes away there is a nice sweet aftertaste. The alcohol is very well hidden, not really noticeable at all, maybe just a little in the aroma.

The mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. Medium bodied with a great drinkability. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer. Something that helps change things up from the normal offerings and I'm definitely glad I picked this up; will be looking to score another bottle if possible.

zimm421, Jul 08, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Bruery tulip. 2011 vintage.

a - Pours a very deep purple-red color with two fingers of a heavy reddish-pink head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for one to two minutes and leaves no lacing on the glass.

s - Smells strongly of raspberries, grapes, and dark fruits up front, followed by some definite Belgian style yeast; exactly as advertised. Not quite as sweet smelling as I thought it would be, but still very enjoyable.

t - Tastes of very sweet raspberries, grapes/dark fruits, light earthy notes, and light yeast. Not as much yeast as the nose, but a lot of sweetness from the raspberries, which I love. A tiny bit bittersweet, almost sour, before more sweetness comes back in. I really love the taste; a definite step up from the nose.

m - Light to medium body and moderate to high carbonation. Pretty smooth and creamy, with just a tiny bit too much carbonation.

o - Overall I thought this was a great fruit beer; I really loved the sweetness of the raspberries in the taste. I wish the nose had been a little bit stronger and sweeter, and I wish the carbonation was a little bit less, as that would have made it almost perfect. In any event a great beer I would love to have again. My girlfriend loved it too, and I'm quite glas I have another bottle of it.

mdfb79, Jul 07, 2011
4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Founders mug and I am handed a masterpiece featuring a 3 finger pink/purple headed monster. The color is great but the pink lacing is grand.

There is all kinds of raspberry in the smell. It is like smelling freshly crushed raspberries.

The taste is fairly one dimensional featuring...of course...raspberry. It is fairly sour which impedes the drinkability of this brew. I am not picking up much of the belgian yeasts. As it warms, some small nuances come out...some burnt tones and red wine qualities.

Solid moutfeel. Full with pleasant drying in the end.

I cannot believe that this is 9%. It just drinks like juice. It reminds me a lot of Rubeas and Framboise. An excellent drink but your wife/girlfriend will think it is amazing.

TCgoalie, Jul 06, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

2011 release.

Appearance: Deep purple with dark red running through it. Solid. Almost looks like a fortified wine or a melted sorbet. The head is a bright-pink and super foamy. Tiny traces of lacing stick to the glass. I was expecting the dusky rose of Rubaeus, but this managed to surprise and impress me.

Smell: Straight punch of fresh obliterated raspberries. The pure essence of the fruit jumps out as both cloyingly sweet and super fresh. A faint hint of Belgian yeast lingers in the background, muting everything a tiny bit. Rather than distracting from the raspberry aroma, the yeast enhances it, pushing the sweetness down, but letting the delicious smell of raspberry flesh come to the front.

Taste: The first sip is almost too sweet. After a few seconds on the tongue, a solid tartness comes through, helping push the sweetness back a little. The Belgian yeast brings a little earthiness to the whole thing, but this really is an ode to the raspberry. Fresh, clean, and oh so juicy. Seriously, it's like the best punch ever made. The tart flavor prevents it from ever being too sweet, but damn if it isn't tasty.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, but not in a syrupy way, which is surprising given the dark heavy look in the glass. Not something you can drink huge sips of. It really sits in the mouth and develops the longer it sits there.

Overall: It's nice to meet a fruit beer that doesn't try to be refreshing and light. This is an fruit beer for people who can't stand wheat with their fruit. It's heavy, sweet, and tart without ever being overbearing. Truly a first-class fruit beer.

Goblinmunkey7, Jul 06, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Have never had the chance to try Rübæus but Raspberries are my favorite fruit and I am very excited to give this giant bottle a go.

A-Wow this looks very impressive. Pours a brilliant Pino Noir color. Looks very much like a wine. Deep, beautiful red liquid. A slight pink frothy head forms and dies down to a small layer that hangs around. Blotchy lacing is pretty to look at.

S-Smells like a glass of smashed raspberries. A natural raspberry scent with a sugary backbone. The raspberry does not smell artificial which is obviously a plus. Tangy belgian yeast in the background too. Alcohol is masked well. The raspberries are blatantly supposed to be the unquestionable headliner in the nose. Yay for me then.

T-A giant sugary, yet natural and also fresh blast of raspberries. Almost like raspberry jam. Not much alcohol. The beer is very sugary sweet, but also displays some very attractive tartness as well. I could drink this for dessert and be very happy and fulfilled. This beer delivers the fruit flavor.

M-Full bodied. Not much carbonation. I would prefer a bit more but am not bothered. Sugars leave the tongue sticky.

O/D-This beer delivered for me. Not only did I really enjoy the flavor, this is one of the more attractive looking brews I have come across so far. I love raspberries. Now I love this beer. Founders is just allergic to making bad beer. Applause.

VelvetExtract, Jul 06, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Chilled and then poured into my Founder's snifter.

A: Deep reddish purple. It almost looks like a wine. 2 finger pinkish head. Little to no lacing.

S: Fresh, sweet, macerated rasberries. So good!

T: Just like the smell: sweet rasberries followed up by a little bit of boozy tartness.

M: This drinks like a sparkling juice. Very appropriately carbonated for the style.

O: A great example of a fruity beer and the alcohol is hidden very well. This is a good one to share with your lady friend. Founder's does not fail to impress here.

camil1mj, Jul 06, 2011

At Founders Fest

A: Poured a vigorous half finger creamy whitish pink head with medium retention. Brew itself is a cloudy deep red. Lacing is light and stringy

S: Nose is fresh red fruit with a hint of sour notes

T: Beginning is raspberry and gets sweeter and sweeter towards the middle. Ending is slight tartness with alcoholic finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with an alcoholic bite that finishes clean and dry. Carbonation is apparent.

D: Deliciously drinkable and the ABV is hidden well here. No overwhelming alcoholic nose or taste though you definitely know its there. Very Enjoyable.

LiquidBread219, Jul 04, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Grabbed a bottle of this from Downtown Wine and Spirits tonight in Somerville. I passed on this beer the last time it was out because of the high price tag, but now that I can afford it, I am game. Pours out a nice reddish pink, with a finger of white/pink heading. The nose is of fresh raspberries, and that is about it, not artificial smelling either. Flavor is very sweet with raspberries, and again, that is about it for me, but this is not a bad thing by any means. Medium mouthfeel, and the alcohol is not present at all. It appears that they dialed it back a few notches with this batch, which is fine by me. My final thoughts are that this beer is delicious, and needs to be paired with some kind of dark chocolate dessert.

jamie2dope, Jul 02, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz bottle poured at Belgique tasting, Hugo MN Thanksgiving 2010.

Dark ruby brew. Fine bubbles. Delicious tangy raspberry aroma, with an earthy leaf must underlying. Tart and extreme raspberry...incredible lack of any alcohol heat given the greater than 12% ABV. Brett provides a mushroomy flavor. A rich maltiness and slick and sticky mouthfeel. Truly a unique and fabulous brew!

kenito799, Apr 19, 2011

Yet another bottle I can't remember who shared - BA fail. Regardless, thanks for sharing.

Appearance -- Pours a vibrant ruby hue with a deep amber heart. Not much in terms of head. Handsome nonetheless, and what one hopes for in a fruit beer.

Smell -- Freshly macerated raspberries - simple, but evocative. Even after all of this time it smells of rich and vibrant raspberries. I can only imagine what this was like fresh.

Taste -- Macerated raspberries, still very bright and fresh-tasting after all of this time. Fairly singular in flavor, though there is also a hint of cracker-like malt and band-aid. Points also awarded for not tasting AT ALL like 12.3% ABV.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-to-light in body, medium carbonation. Could be better, but still pleasant.

Overall -- A very tasty fruit beer. The obvious comparison is to New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. I feel that this is less cloying but not as rich and vibrant as Tart, at least not now.

I can see this definitely creeping up on a person during the course of an evening. It was probably in the public's best interest to retire this one.

yeahnatenelson, Apr 17, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

A-pours a cloudy dark ruby red color with a light pink head.

S-lots of vanilla and berries, not exactly raspberry but overly sweet. There are some light notes of oak and some christmas spice in the back.

T-the taste is pretty sharp, the fruit is somewhat artificial and the vanilla is very strong. the oak is light with some off putting medicinal notes in this towards the back. the flavor is slightly water and has a bit of acidity in the back.

M-creamy body to this, rather big especially in comparison to other sours at the tasting. slightly heavy, decent bit of carbonation and a light to semi dry finish.

D-this is very artificial and syrupy in the flavor, it is straight forward and simple, sweet and slightly bitter in the finish.

cpetrone84, Mar 10, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

i was very lucky to find a bottle of this a few months back at a small wine store

pours dark ruby orange with a very small big bubble pinkish head

smell is of course all raspberries

taste is incredible - this rivals NG raspberry tart - sweet and tart rapsberries - i pick up no booze - one of the best fruit beers period (bring it back founders please)

mouhtfeel is where this beer was lacking something... carbonation - pretty flat (maybe the age of the bottle has something to do with this)

drinkability - even with the beer being a little flat i enjoyed every sip and could have drank a couple bombers of this beer

jsh420, Feb 21, 2011