Founders Blushing Monk - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Blushing MonkFounders Blushing Monk

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: granger10 on 09-15-2005

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.
Reviews: 563 | Hads: 1,973
4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Glass Nickel for GCBW 2015. It was a pleasure to have this in the context of the barrel aged CBW event in the buzz of the hot and crowded basement of Glass Nickel for the barrel-aged Founders event. (Had it next to Sweet Repute.) You don't think you ever knew this was barrel aged. Is this really 12%+? (312 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +20.8%

Been disappointed by too many raspberry ales lately but this delivers. Pungent berry, nice mouthfeel that is very very refreshing. Brilliant ice cold but warms up to exude even more raspberry notes. Subtle use of yeast and it hides that 9.2% abv well. Excellent all round, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for that raspberry bite - but this is not a sour! (367 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A little backstory - I opened this on a whim while cooking Bigos (Polish stew consiting of a butt-ton of pork, sausages, and venison) because I needed a cup of "wine or cider", thinking this might do the trick. I poured it into a hefeweizen glass (my others were dirty and I am lazy), and took a sip.

"Holy shit, nectar of the gods" came out of my mouth involuntarily, and I RUSHED to my computer to write a proper review.

Pours a deep, vibrant cherrywood-red with overwhelming and intoxicating aromas of fresh-picked raspberries and toasted butter cookies. The head is thin, and the EXACT same shade of pink as Hello Kitty's dress.

As for flavor, this is a thermonuclear raspberry detonation - followed by soothing, rolling notes of butter, biscuits, cranberry juice, a tiny tinge of herbal hops reminiscent of marjoram, and finished by a high note of creamy, pure alcohol burn much like you'd get in a quality herbal vodka. The aftertaste doesn't linger for long, but tastes like a giant mouthful of cold raspberries and makes me want to almost *chug* this magic potion.

Overall, this is straight up the tastiest beer I have ever had in my life - Period! I'm definitely going to use it in the stew, since I shouldn't kill a whole bomber by myself, and will update this review with a pairing analysis.

UPDATE: In Bigos, this is absolutely incredible - the tart, sugary raspberry notes meld into the charred, gamey meat to hit every single major taste bud note known to man. A bite of the stuff, followed by a sip of this beer straight from the fridge, was better than sex - it makes the stew's gamey notes (especially the fresh pork) surge through my entire face, and the stew brings out the cordial-like alcohol burn that I love so much. Best pairing EVER. (1,763 characters)

4.13/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a bright ruby red with a two-finger pink head. The head leaves a light amount of soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is raspberries and maybe a light yeastiness.

T - The taste follows the aroma with juicy tart raspberries throughout. The raspberries produce a nice balance of sweet and tart.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is creamy and syrupy. Dry finish.

O - I'm really glad Founders brought this back. The flavors are a beautiful balance of sweet and tart. Delicious. (498 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quick review. It really does drink like a beefed-up rubaeus, a bit more tart, the Belgian yeast gives it significantly more body & the carbonation is pretty low. ABV is masked quite well, which adds to the drinkability of this brew. Really nice! (248 characters)

World of Beer Easton, draft poured into a 5 oz. tasting glass.

As the description implies, it's sort of an imperial Rubaeus. Light, fruity and full of raspberry flavor. Goes down pretty smoothly and the alcohol is barely noticeable, which could be trouble for 9.2% ABV beer...If you like raspberries or fruit beer then "yes", if not, then "no". (347 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a reddish color with a bubbly head and only slight lacing. Strong aroma of raspberries and fruits. Taste is of raspberry on steroids and for me that's not a bad thing. Crisp and carbonated with a clean feel. Overall, Blushing Monk was a highly enjoyable fruit beer that hit the spot, though, it may not be liked by all. (328 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Said the same about flying fish exit 3, beautiful blend of fruit and body, hard to taste the high abv. Not overly sweet, but great body and taste. Had it on draft and loved it. Then again, founders always comes through. (219 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured cold into a tulip glass; 2015 vintage drank shortly after release.
Look = 5.0 Pours a deep ruby red with 4 fingers of thick red-tinted head; great lace and retention. Great color and look.
Aroma = 4.0 Raspberry pours out, mild spice Belgian notes and a little hint of alcohol and a touch of funk.
Taste = 4.0 Sweet, juicy raspberry is the prominent flavor with a tart finish. Alcohol is present in the finish too, provides a light burn.
Feel = 4.0 Medium bodied with medium carbonation; syrupy and sticky. Coats the mouth.
Drinkability = 3.5 High ABV, sweet flavor profile and alcohol flavor all hurts drinkability.
Overall = 4.1 This is a tough one to rate. It’s different and comes with a big reputation. I was underwhelmed though; the boozy level surprised me. Hear it gets better with age. Great looking beer though. (833 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ever take a Gose and amp it up a notch or two? That's what happened to me when I had this last night when I ordered this at the Cloverleaf Tavern. Loved it but boy, was it strong and intense and almost didn't fit the category of Fruit/Vegetable beer. I did enjoy this but it took a while to get down and there weren't as many nuances to this as I would have liked, in addition.

Had this served in a snifter glass which allowed the gorgeous red hue to shine, but there wasn't a lot of light head to this. Tons of raspberries from start to finish but not a syrupy feel to them like Chambord. Slick mouthfeel with a dry finish that let the yeast show through once the tarntness faded away. Reminded me of champagne because of how it hit the palate, even though I couldn't see a lot of carbonation in this. Strong, one-dimensional, and appropriate for the season was what this turned out to be.

While not something to be enjoyed quickly, it didn't take a while to finish this off but the potency of it kept me from ordering another. Like the Southern Tier Creme Brulee, this was something that you'd probably love or hate because of how intense and straightforward it was. More of the self-described "Imperial Rubaeus" a typical Fruit/Vegetable beer, it almost came across like a Lambic on another level. Drink this if you want to kiss winter goodbye and never look back! (1,369 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -40.7%

Ok, I understand its made with crazy amount of raspberries, but that's all I get. From the nose, to the taste, to the overall. So one note its sad. Give me more funk, or tart, or SOMETHING. Not my cup of tea... (210 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle split between two Sam Adams glasses. Pours cherry red with a frothy, 2 finger pink head of foam. Smells like..raspberries! Also some subtle notes of green apples and bananas. Mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated. Almost puts me in mind of a champaign, only much heavier. Lots of tart fruit up front, mainly raspberries. Finishes dry with a slight alcohol presence on the aftertaste.

There's not really a whole lot to say about this beer. If you like raspberries, or are a fan of red wine, this will be right up your alley. My wife, who isn't too crazy about many beers but likes wine, loved this. I'm on the fence. It's pretty tasty, admittedly, just not much like any beer I've ever had. I'll probably buy another bottle to save for a special occassion, but this isn't something I'd buy, or even drink, on a regular basis. (836 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

2015-04-24
750ml bottle split between a pair of large snifters. 2015 bottle with no dates or codes that I can see.

Pours dark pink/ruby, pretty clear, with a medium light pink head. I have to admit, I don't find pink beer attractive. It makes me think of Bud Light Chelada. Smell is super raspberry. Very slight yeast. Not much else. So if you like raspberries...yes, it smells good.

Taste is sweet, balanced with tart -- quite tart -- and very raspberry. It's actually quite tasty. If you like raspberries. There is an element of unreality to it -- and it doesn't taste much like a beer.

Mouthfeel is dry and nice. Overall -- tasty beverage. (645 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving: Bomber poured into a Founder's taproom snifter. No bottling date, but just under 3 months old.

A: Pours a nice bright rose red. Foamy 1/2-finger head with an aggressive pour. Very clear.

S: Loads and loads of raspberry, cranberry and strawberry. Not picking up much of the Belgian yeast character. Smells very fresh and sweet.

T: Explodes with sweet, fresh raspberry flavor up front, followed by a cranberry twang at the end. Very rich and sweet. Again, not picking up much Belgian yeast character at all here in the flavor.

M: Nice and full, smooth, balanced. Practically no trace of the 9.4% ABV. Aftertaste is very clean. Perfect carbonation.

O: Never had a chance to try the original version in bottles, so first approach here. It's very much in line with Rubeaus, almost to a clone really. Side by side, I could probably tell the difference as I think Rubeaus is a touch sweeter and more carbonated, drinking more like fruit juice. But the Belgian-style approach is not the unique thing there, as I can't really detect that component. And honestly, I don't think it needs it. This is a great fruit beer on it's own. Is it that different from Rubaeus? Not really, but it's still a damn good beer. Super drinkable. I'm practically chugging this beer right now. It's also a great dessert beer.

Recommendation: Must try for any fruit beer fan or fan of Founder's. Don't be intimated by the bomber as it's super easy to put one away by yourself if you love juicy, sweet, fruit beers on a nice warm day. (1,520 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Quaffed this during a recent trip to Raleigh, North Carolina (Busy Bee). This concoction is fermented with raspberries (OK) and has the expected reek of raspberry on the nose. That done, there is a ruby colored body beneath a wispy head, one which dissipates quickly. The lacing is minimal.

The palate is overwhelmed by a cloying tsunami of raspberry - expected this, but not this intensity. Yah! A few scraps of malt saves the tongue from rolling up like a Tex Avery cartoon wolf. Still - there is the balance to save the day: nicely balanced, despite the high alcohol stomping around beneath.

I thought this one resembled a raspberry soda and not a Belgian. (661 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance - 4/5
Bright red, quite clear. Some nice red-white head.

Smell - 4/5
Rasperries, rasperries, raspberries.

Taste - 4.5/5
Delicious raspberry taste, but I am having difficulty distinguishing this from a Founder's Rubaeus. Also, I'm not getting much beyond the raspberries. It's not super complex.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, and carbonation is nicely balanced.

Overall - 4/5
Overall, this was a tasty beer, but mainly because raspberries are tasty. I haven't had Rubaeus since last summer, but if you had given me this blindly, I would have told you it was Rubaeus. I mean, by it's own merits the beer is great, but is it really that much better than Rubaeus to justify the large price hike? Probably not. (722 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -4.1%

This review is taken from the 2015 bottle re release.

Massive brown Backstage series bottle that's just stunning and well crafted of thick glass. Label is elegant and beautiful in a way a fruit beer is supposed to be. Poured into a stemmed tulip snifter.

A - deep dark reddish color that looks purple until the light shines it's brilliant red hue. Light pink head sits on top and pours large leaving a good and blanketed ring of lace before fading completely out toward the bottom.

S - fresh ripe raspberries, a touch of sweet sugars, Founders style bread from the malt, and hints of Belgian yeast.

T - taste Is a lovely balance of sweet and tart raspberry notes. It just works. Tart enough to start a pucker before fading out to a sweet dessert like flavor. Raspberry Is the star of course with big waves of this wonderful fruit slightly tart yet wonderfully sweet. Hints of their smaller raspberry ales and that same bread like Founders malt. Belgian yeast really shines through as this warms with alcohol notes blending well with a dark grape like wine note beneath the puckering tart and rich sweetness.

M - medium bodied and balanced well. Texture is nice. It's a sour to me but provides enough sweetness to keep its balance in check. Lovely lingering raspberry finish coats the mouth.

O - I enjoy founders fruit beers. Blushing Monk is all that except more flavor and punch at a sturdy abv. But I would much rather see this in 4 packs and say a bourbon barrel imperial stout hitting the backstage bottles. At nearly $20 this isn't a great bargain and I'd probably pass on it again. It's delicious and unique and no question worth the experience, but for me ultra special releases should be ultra special ales. Blushing monk is good but isn't special by any means. Just a good flavorful raspberry ale that's well made. (1,831 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

I drank the Founders Rübæus last night, so this is going to be my point of comparison. It was delicious as a hard beverage, just not what I would put in any beer category (as in, "Young lady, you say you don't like beer? Why don't you try this one?")

This one pours less ruby red and just a bit pinker than their other offering. Similarly thin with a lack of head but decent carbonation. The smell on this one takes the impressions I had of the Rübæus a step further. I mentioned in the other's review that it was sweet, but not quite Jolly Rancher sweet. This one literally smells exactly like a raspberry Jolly Rancher. I mean exactly like one (with a very minor hint of bubble gum from the esters). 'Nuff said.

But the taste, now that's where we start to see some character. Yeah, the raspberry is definitely there, but there's a lot more dimension to this beer than with the Rübæus. The malts are definitely more pronounced, and while it's sweet and quite fruity, it's not soda-level. I can't put a finger on what else I'm tasting in there, but it's less sour, more savory and rich, much like the Belgians who inspired this brew would have wanted it to be. Tastes more like a meal, which is the rubric I hold for all great heavy Belgian beers. A bit of grass, and bit of grain, and a malty thickness that really lasts on the back of the tongue as it goes down, and this is a solid raspberry beer. I would take it over the Rübæus any day, except that I only have one bottle and it probably won't be released again for another several years. (1,567 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep reddish caramel color. Almost like beet juice was added to an amber. A one finger white head fizzes up on the pour and then settles quickly.

S: I mean, if you're looking for raspberry, it's definitely there. Super sweet and syrupy, almost Otter Pop-like. Getting a sweet Sprite-like soda sweetness in the back as well. Bracing myself...

T: Freaking sweet. Not really getting anything in here besides a cloying raspberry cough syrup flavor. No real Belgian yeast aspect to it at all, just a ton of raspberry syrup. I can't remember if those Welch's fruit juice boxes I used to drink as a kid came in a raspberry-grape flavor, but this is exactly what I would imagine it would taste like. (705 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%

Amazing deep red color, incredible smell of raspberries. Flavor of raspberries really shines through and it hides its abv. Just too sweet for my tastes however. (161 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

25.4 oz. bottle poured into nonic
(Jan. 7, 2015 bottling date? "005 15" printed high on bottle neck)

L: red ... literally, like Oklahoma Sooners' crimson red with a pink head of foam that is sticking like glue at the top; keeps a tidy collar of offwhite/light pink foam; clarity is very nice and helping showcase the color; man, this son of a gun is crayon red ... what a hue! no lacing

S: ice cold all you get is a generic sour note, maybe some dry white wine/sour grapes; as it warms, the yeast sourness softens a little, but it's still very tart ... much more tart than taste; if dig deep, can pick up a hint of raspberry/sweet

T: that has to be syrup, right? wow, big sweet raspberry flavor packaged around a tight little sour bite ... the tartness is fantastic, very Flemish red-like, but the sugary sweet raspberry is the key note; that tartness is really working hard to punch through the sweet as we get going -- my mouth is puckering pretty hard; can taste a little alcohol in the form of a sour grapes/wine flavor; the raspberry flavor is pervasive; the tart almost hits lemon ... not quite but every now and then it gets close

F: seems about perfect -- light, crisp, well-carbonated for a solid, full effect. in truth, it's hard to get a good read on the feel because the super sweet and puckering tartness is making my mouth do reactionary calisthenics. it's a good problem.

O: i love it ... a fantastic sweet-sour dance of sugar, rasberry and some tart yeast; if it were any sweeter, it wouldn't work, but the tart bite is helping rein in the sugar and giving it balance; fans of wild ales and sours would call this candy, but for those of us still working toward sours, this is a cool little bike ride with training wheels down a raspberry garden. what a fun ride! (1,795 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at 'Champs' in State College, PA in a snifter glass.

L: Pours a deep maroon, almost merlot in color. A thick pale pink head leaves delicate lacing on the cup.

S: Fruity, raspberry and sweet.

T and F: This is a dessert. A nice mixture of fruity sweets and raspberry tartness, and the raspberry flavor dominates as expected. Nicely carbonated and very smooth.

O: Great fruit beer, one of the best I've had and what I'd expect from Founders. It makes a great sipping dessert, and one glass is enough. Great way to finish a session. The 9.2% ABV is well (too well?) hidden. Very comparable to a Lindemans but somewhat better in my opinion. (660 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is reddish amber in color. There's a fingernail of off white foam covering about a third of the top. Light lacing is present on the glass. I smell tart raspberries and light Belgian candy sugar. The taste is a wallop of tart raspberries that seems to grow more tart at the back of the palate. The mouth is heavily carbonated,crisp,and a bit sticky. (363 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a deep purple-red with a solid finger of airy off-white foam.

Very quaffable bouquet of tart raspberries, not much else in terms of aroma.

Very sweet, slightly tart raspberry flavor. Unfortunately, after recently enjoying New Glarus' Raspberry Tart, this is a far cry from being outstanding. Has a slightly artificialness about it.

Light-bodied, medium-high prickly carbonation, tart, but overly sweet to be as refreshing as I was hoping this would be. There is an artificial feel that leaves me wanting more. (518 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a seethru pink with light pink one finger head that dies quick and leaves a little lace patch ring aroung glass. Aroma is basically tart raspberries and more tart razzies.
Obviously, the beer has an acidic tartness that is strong and wallops you with raspberries. The sweetness coming through though is just as strong and this beer is well-balanced, smooth, easy to drink, and in no way would I guess over 9% ABV had I not seen label; ABV well-hidden. A classic fruit/dessert beer that is worth trying. (513 characters)

Founders Blushing Monk from Founders Brewing Company