Founders Blushing Monk - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Blushing MonkFounders Blushing Monk

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.20% ABV

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.

(Beer added by: granger10 on 09-15-2005)
4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Shared generously by fellow BA Cosmicevan. Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a goblet.

Looks a beautiful and surprising purple red color. This looks like it is going to be strongly flavored. Small foamy ring remains at rest on top.

Smells deliciously of raspberries. Very heavily scented and I'm hoping it's more on the sweet side than the tart.

Tastes rather sweet - almost boysenberry jam - but its mouthfeel takes over soon after. No hops and limited maltiness.

Mouthfeel is slightly fizzy and carbonated.

Overall a really nice beer that is one of the stronger flavored fruit beers I've tried. And, for s 9.2% beer, it's a great dessert.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

I've been anxious to try this brew since Founders announced they were going to be bottling it. Pours a magnificent, deep burgundy with a slight pinkish-tinged head. The aroma is dominated by raspberries, with some candied sugar coming through just a bit. The taste closely follows the smell, with the sweet raspberries more apparent on the initial taste, and a more tart, drying finish…quite pleasant. This is a brew that I couldn't drink regularly, but as a dessert beer (cherry/peach cobbler come to mind), or maybe even paired with fruit salad, this beer would be perfect. The alcohol really isn't that apparent, although I'm sure after a 750ml bottle of this, you'd likely know it was there!! Glad I have another bottle to try in one of these scenarios….nice job Founders.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

The body is an opaque, deep, dark red. It's almost a shade of violet and the head is a deep pink hue. It's really a great looking beer.

The smell is all raspberries and sugar. It seriously smells like a glass of sweetened raspberry juice would.

Just as the smell, the taste is completely one dimensional but it works. It's superbly tart and sweet at the same time.

Mouthfeel has a light syrup consistency but still cut with good carbonation. It wouldn't work well with most beers but because of the fruity nature of this it seems perfect.

This is an outstanding beer. It was a chore to finish a 750 because of the high sweetness, but one glass is extremely easy to put down. The abv (note 9.2% on the label, not 12.3%) is non-existant.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle into a pint glass.

A - A dark ruby red body of a beer. The head is large foamy and fizzy with a pink hue.

S - Awesome sweet smelling fruity sugary aroma that screams raspberries.

T & M & D - The sugary sweetness is right in the front and in the middle. The raspberries are there throughout the whole mouth and it is gooood! There is a nice tart level without being too dry and puckering. The beer finished pretty smooth and easy.

O - Great beer and it was more complex than your average fruit beer. It hid it's alchohol well and was crisp and refreshing. Great beer.

-Cheers

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2011 Blushing Monk

I won't claim to be a big fan of Fruit beers. I love traditional fruit Lambics but most fruit beers leave me looking for more.

Blushing Monk looks like Black Cherry KoolAid in color. A very rich red color. Very viscous, little carbonation which is perfect for this beer. The aroma is all raspberries. Just a ton of ripe berry in the aroma. Much more sweet than tart. I'm getting a metallic aroma too.

The flavor is best described as a raspberry bomb. Very sweet, Little evidence of hops, malt, or yeast initially. The yeast becomes more apparent as it warms. Some of that metallic quality shows up in the finish. Long, sweet, finish. This is a $16, liquid dessert. The mouthfeel is very full. A big beer to be sure. Overall, it's not really my cup of tea but it's a well made beer.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a BrewDog cervoise glass. From notes. Reviewed 9 July 2011. This was our last beer of the night, and it put me under. Consider it a drunk review.

A: So damn pink. Thin head, some bubbles. The rich pinkness is enchantingly interesting.

S: Very sweet. Lots of berries. It's pleasant, if one-dimensional. Honestly, I'm still more interested in looking at it than smelling it.

T: Nothing like what I expected. I've never liked fruit beers, so this was unexpectedly magnificent. Tart, lovely, and full of raspberries. Lovely sipping, and easily the best 'sour' beer I've ever tasted.

M: Light and puckery, tart and moreish. I really enjoy the feeling, especially after a night of imperial stouts.

O: I love it. It doesn't do much else other than tart raspberries, but then again it doesn't need to. Again, this is hands-down the best fruit beer I've come across. Highly recommended, despite the hefty price tag.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up from the local Binny’s for $15.99. I’ve been excited to try this. 2011 bottle, 9.2%.

Appearance – Pours a crazy deep vibrant red into my tulip. About two fingers of awesome looking pink head is achieved with a moderate pour, which dissipates relatively quickly leaving spotty lacing.

Smell – I was anticipating raspberries, and I was not disappointed. Just loads of raspberries – smells like when you puree them to make jam. Slight Belgian yeast and dark malts/caramel come through as the beer warms. But hands down, raspberries dominate the nose.

Taste – Wow, what an interesting beer. Though the beer itself is not “sour” per-say, it still has tartness from the raspberries which immediately makes my mouth pucker with the first sip. It really is like drinking puréed raspberries, some nice bready Belgian yeast is noticeable, and ends with more raspberry flavor. One dimensional? Somewhat, but at the same time it is doing what it does so well.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, creamy but not syrupy (much less syrupy than say Belgian Red), and finishes just a hint dry oddly.

Overall – Being a huge raspberry fan in general, I knew I’d like this beer. After drinking it I can confidently say I would buy this again in a heartbeat. I will state, however, that the price is pushing it, but for being such a unique brew, and one that hides the alcohol so well, it is really worth it. Try this if you can; it is worth the money.

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

2011 vintage; 9.2%.

A-Pours a ridiculously extravagant dark fuchsia color with a half finger reddish head.

S-Huge mouth-watering aromas of ripe raspberry mingle with some light malt and cocoa.

T-Love the complexity with some light chocolate mixed in with huge tart raspberry notes and finishes with a light bitterness.

M-Rich and luxuriously thick feel with low carbonation but a crisp finish.

D-A ridiculously enjoyable beer; way more complex than any other fruit beer I've had; most are one-note fruit bombs. This one has the fruit bomb character but also some nice chocolate with a slight bitter character that keeps me coming back for more. I don't, however, get any of the Belgian yeast character.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

2011 Vintage 750ml bottle

A- Deep but bright garnet color with an amazing head. The head stuck around like on a witbier. Amazing retention.

S - Just opening the bottle I caught a whiff of raspberry and had to dive in for more. This is one of the seriously best smelling beers ever. I really wonder how long this fresh raspberry smell can last, and how this will drink in a year.

T - Fairly one dimensional here with the raspberry, but the alcohol buoys this one to a much fuller taste than Raspberry Tart, which is the only beer that comes to mind as similar. Very exceptional raspberry taste -- I keep going back for more.

M - Carbonation seems to fit the style well. It's definitely a heavy drink with a full mouthfeel.

O - At $13.99 a bottle, it's not as bad as in some places here, and after trying it, I went back to the store for more. This is also a fairly versatile beer, as it would pair exceptionally well with a rich chocolate cake (think flourless) or even just some dark chocolate. Also would be a great dessert beer on it's own.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a: Dark red with a nice velvety pink head. good carbonation to it and decent lacing. Looks beautiful and rich...nice thickness to it

s: like dark fruit and sourness. hints of sweet alcohol permeate from the rim here.

t: raspberry up front and a mixture of dark berry in the mid. a hint of the typical belgian flair as you let this dry on the palette. There is a bit of heat this this, though it is a sweet wine like presence of alcohol that is welcome. I had the pleasure of trying this next to lindemans. I'd be interested to have a version of the framboise that was more in the 6-7% range...though I'm very curious of the heat this used to have when it was at 12.3%.

m: rich, creamy and with just enough fizz. any thinner here and it would have not been good.

o: a greate brew. Nice fruit flavor and just sweet enough that I can finish the bomber without feeling ill. Highly recommend

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Clear purple/red/pink beer poured into a bruery snifter. a very pretty color. Bubbly pink head gets about 2.5 fingers big, but quickly dies to a thin ring/layer. there is a medium amount of pink lacing left behind. swirling gets a great flow of bubbles, and leaves more lacing. A very pretty beer.

S- expecting nothing but raspberries, and that isn't far from the truth. Huge smell of wonderful fresh raspberries, haven't smelled anything close since rasp. tart, and i think this is better....maybe
behind the raspberries are some more beer-y smells, some light wood/malf smells, but you have to dig. also some alcohol smell as well... smells mighty tasty.

T- Woah! raspberries everywhere! also some great wood flavors, and a little oatiness? great initial taste! there is some alcohol taste as well, but not an off-putting amount. The only issue is the aftertaste. it's not terrible, but its kind of a tartness that is a hair rotten/lambic ish (normally wonderful) that doesn't quite fit. i think it's the huge shift from sweet to tart, but it adds a bit of bight to the beer that isn't altogether wonderful.

M- not as cloyingly syrupy as I expected, which is a great thing. the carbonation is also at a really nice level, the bubbles break up the sweetness on your tongue and accentuates the tartness.

O- Not a perfect beer, but they hit the mark they were aiming for. it is really good, and definitely worth seeking out. Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

2011 bottle poured into a Founders tulip.

Pours a very deep red with a pink head. One of the best thing about fruit beers is how they look, and this one is better than I expected.

Smell is huge raspberries of course. Smells sweet and tart, behind it is some belgian yeast character... but who are we kidding, the raspberries are the star.

Taste is very solid. Starts off with sweet raspberries, some fruity belgian malt/yeast influence, and finishes off with a tart raspberry kick. I would not put this into the sour category, but its more like the tartness of a fresh raspberry.

Mouthfeel is nice. Good carbonation level, but it finishes just a little bit too sticky for me to give it more than a 4.

Overall I am pleasantly surprised by this release. I expected it to be good, but I'm not usually a really huge fan of non-sour fruit beers. As usual, Founders delivers. It's pricey, but I wouldn't turn down another one for sure. Probably the best fruit beer I've had.

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

At 14.99 per bottle, I can't see picking this one up all too often, though its rarity assures I will not have the opportunity.

Like pretty much everything Founders makes, this beer is worth trying even if its style is not your typical cup of tea. It is a more drinkable raspberry than new glarus's raspberry tart and the considerable alcohol is masked rather well. In fact, the only evidence is a gentle warming after the fruity tartness fades.

Strongly recommended, even if only a rare diversion from the myriad IPA's and stouts that populated my fridge normally.

Note that its alcohol content, according to the label, is 9.2%, not 12.3.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Paid $19.99 for the 750 ML bottle in Western PA, hope it's worth it.

Appearance- Well this is a beautiful beer, and not at all what I expected it to look like. A very striking dark purple that turns into a deep ruby red when held to the light. It looks more like a wine than a beer.

Smell- Raspberry to the max! What did you expect? The Raspberries pretty much overpower anything else.

Taste- Raspberries, raspberries, and raspberries. Don't think that's all this beer has to offer though, you'll also get some very nice tart red wine notes along with figs and dark plums.

Mouthfeel- This is where the beer shines the most. The mouthfeel is just absolutely perfect. Velvety smooth and rolls over the tongue with a very gentle tickle of carbonation. If this beer had been carbonated more it would have been ruined.

Overall- I would seek this out again but I don't think I would pay $19.99 for a 750 again. As far as fruit beers go this is an awesome one.

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

A- Dark plum with a thin red foam. Good lacing. Not much retention

S- Very sweet. Can smell the raspberries. Pleasant.

T- Tastes almost like wine or juice. Incredibly sweet, but well balanced for the abv.

M-Decent body. Light.

O- Usually I am not a fan of flavored or sweet beer. Great beer, just a little sweet for me. Still delicious to have every once in a while.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a Duvel oversized tulip

A - Deep shade of burgundy pour, sticky bright pink one finger of foam that sticks around.

N - Big wafting, boozy notes of fruit juice, fresh raspberries, grapes, cranberry cocktail, raspberry puree, all intermingled with a saison-like Belgian white pepper funkiness; crisp pear, short-lived suggestions of dark malts, raisin bread or even rum cake, carmelized sugar.

T - Fruit juice, heavy on the raspberry puree, cranberry juice, ripe cherries and grapes, slushy and syrupy mouthfeel bogs down the palate as the beer warms; a lovely component of cranberry cocktail, almost reminds me of a strawberry daiquiri; a little toasted marshmallow, dry sherry, raisin breadiness resting agianst suggestions of barnyard and wet hay leads into a long and slightly puckering finish.

D - A very tasty, savory type of beer, refreshing despite the 9.2 abv, but the alcohol is totally hidden - a unique quality that I have learned to love from Founders.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

2011 vintage

Deep ruby body, bright pink head that recedes into nice retention.

Impressive tartness on the nose, some raspberry.

Taste is incredible, wild raspberry, easily the best raspberry I've had, malty and sweet to balance the tartness.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth and saves this from being syrup.

Overall, an impressive raspberry strong-- I heard the description and now I believe it.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Great Lakes Christmas Ale wine glass. Pours a dark ruby red with a thick pink head. Nose is all raspberries with a little bit of malt behind it. Taste is sweet raspberries up front, with a tartness at the finish that really balances it out and keeps it from being the least bit cloying. Really well done balance of sweet/tart. Some strong malt flavors as well. Very faint alcohol taste. Nothing to complain about in mouthfeel. Overall this is a winner. It's a big burly fruit beer with a high ABV and perfectly balanced. This might bump Belgian Red out of my top spot. Need to have it some more first. Well done, Founders.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

After thinking I'd missed out on the release of this beer, I stumbled upon a bottle while out shopping early this afternoon. 750 mL bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Blushing Monk pours a deep purple, borderline magenta, with ruby highlights. There's a vibrant purple and pink one-finger head with some staying power. A slight swirl of my glass conjures up waves of purple lace. Beautiful.

The smell is, appropriately enough, raspberry-forward. Some tartness, but the aroma is mostly sweet. Pleasant, if one-dimensional.

There's a very rich raspberry flavor in the taste. Sweetness again, with a tartness that reminds me of lemons. The alcohol is well hidden, but there's a definite alcohol bite. It's very faint, and I wouldn't call it a "burn" - more like a hint of booze that imparts a slight medicinal quality.

The mouthfeel is perfect for a beer this big and sweet: very thick and lush, with just a hint of carbonation. This drinks like a dessert.

Going into this beer, I assumed it would be something of an imperial Raspberry Tart. There are definite similarities between the two beers, and while I prefer New Glarus' take I have to remind myself that Blushing Monk's ABV is over twice as high - from a purely technical standpoint, that's pretty impressive. I couldn't see myself drinking this often or in mass quantities, but it's excellent for what it is.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

750 ml bottle, 2011 vintage. Served in a flute, the beer pours a ruby red/purple color with about a half inch dark pink head that went away quickly. Not much lacing. The brew smells like fresh sweet raspberries, raspberry jam and a bit of tart raspberries. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes mostly like sweet raspberries and raspberry jam along with some tart raspberry, too. Also, there's a little bit of bready yeastiness noticable. But this beer is definitely all about the raspberries! Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's creamy and has moderate carbonation. It's smooth and very easy to drink. I think this is a pretty good overall brew, it's certainly one of if not the best raspberry beers I've ever had. Even at $14.99 a bottle I'd definitely buy this again in the future, I thought it was worth the money.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured 750ml bottle into Lindeman's flute glass.

A: appears a deep dark magenta, crystal clear, the head starts as 2 fingers of bright fizzy pink foam and dissipates to a rose colored collar. Some pink lacing as well.

S: the nose begins with pungent tart quality with acidic tones and a hint of Belgian yeast. After the onslaught of tartness, it is all raspberries. The nose becomes slightly sweet and features delicate waves of fruit. Very nice.

T: the flavor starts off surprisingly tart but not overly acidic. As the tartness settles, the flavor is all raspberries. Nice balance between sweet and sour. The Belgian yeast shows up at the end and makes for a dry finish. The abv is undetectable.

MF: The carbonation is moderate, perhaps a touch lower than I'd expect for the style. The body is big but never borders into being syrupy.

O: this is a well executed and unique fruit beer. It does a great job of putting raspberries on a pedestal while still retaining qualities of a Belgian style ale.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At the time of this review, this beer is #6 on the best of Fruit / Vegetable beers. Bottle shared by Thorpe at an impromptu tasting the other night, poured into a snifter.

WHOA!!!! This beer is dark pink to purple, incredibly dark ruby. Amazing color, makes me take a step back. Thin white / pink head of small bubbles, no retention, no lacing, moderate carbonation. I am shocked.

Aroma...eh....doesn't smell like very much to me. I am now very curious what it tastes like.

Like raspberry soda. Medium to light in body, moderately carbonated on the palate, easy drinking, bright, raspberry from start to finish. Sweet, it is a truly amazing beer. I just had a thought, maybe I should do a side by side with Raspberry tart to compare the two. Another good beer from Founders.

3.1/5  rDev -27.1%

A: pours a crimson red with two fingers of frothy pink head that recedes into a thin pink cap with a little lacing.

S: Raspberries, raspberries, raspberries.

T: Raspberries dominate yet again--maybe a slight yeast flavor? Or maybe just wishful thinking.

M: medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is sweet and has a juice-like consistency.

O: It pains me to have such a meh beer from my favorite brewery, but such is life. It's not a bad beer, but it's so completely one-dimensional and lacking in complexity that I could never call it good. Add onto that the fact that it's very expensive ($15 for my bottle) and you have an all-around disappointing beer.

3.23/5  rDev -24%

A: The color of the body is a dark red and there is almost no head on it.

S: The dominant aroma is pure raspberries.

T: The raspberries flavor is rather heavy upfront, but it is closely followed with malt sweetness and slightly bready. Cloying sweetness, which really inhibits everything.

M: Kind of thick with significantly less carbonation than I would like in the beer.

D: The cloying sweetness and heavy mouthfeel massively damages the overall drinkability.

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 750ml into an Ithaca Excelsior Tulip. Big carbonation release noise when I popped the cap.

A: Deep purple crystal clear (although it was tough to tell seeing how dark it was) - tons of tiny little bubbles rose to the top leading to a 2 finger foamy light purple head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Quite frankly, raspberries are pretty much the only thing in the nose here but it is full, it is potent and it is one of the nicest smelling fruit beers outside of NG Raspberry Tart.

T: The wonderful flavor of raspberry fills my mouth and then some. Hits me with the sweet and the gets me to pucker like I just ate a sour patch kid!

M: Well carbonated, light body, tart sour makes me pucker and that hangs on for a few minutes that makes me reach for another sip.

O: A wonderful Fruit beer that is pretty and delicious. Well done yet again, Founders.

Founders Blushing Monk from Founders Brewing Company