Founders Blushing Monk - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Blushing MonkFounders Blushing Monk

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: granger10 on 09-15-2005

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.
3.51/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Draft poured into a tulip

A: Pours an opaque, dark red color, solidifying into a mahogany. Some light gets through, but very little. The head is thin but with dense bubbles and is a beautiful purplish pink hue, very unexpected and nice.

S: Aroma is immediately strong with raspberries and tart black cherries, lending obvious credence to its fruit genre.

T/M: Taste follows suit with tart raspberry sweetness and some cherry as well, not as mediciny as Kasteel Rouge but similar otherwise. It has light to medium carbonation with a sweetness that lures you in but a tartness that follows close and fills the entire mouth. Fortunately, the alcohol is well disguised.

It’s great after one but more would be overbearing.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Founders Blushing Monk

On draft at Sunset Grill, Boston, MA

Appearance: bright pink-red, small head, and some good lacing.

Smell: fruity goodness.

Taste: fruits and rose.

Mouthfeel: medium and smooth.

Overall:
This brew is perfectly balanced. It has a quick decay as well.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml bottle poured into an Allagash stemmed glass. 2011 release - 9.2% alcohol (listing shows 12.3%)

A - Wow...this pours deep ruby, red wine red with an intense 2 finger cap of deep pink foam that slowly fizzes away down to the surface leaving a feeble amount of lacing on the glass. I have had a number of raspberry beers but I don't think I've seen anything as intensely ruby colored as this! Impressively pink!

S - Definitely no mistaking this as anything but a heavily fruited raspberry beer. Like opening a fresh picked tub of raspberries from the garden (alright - Chris and Carol's garden). Really smells just like fresh fruit - really not much else, but it doesn't seem lacking in anything either.

T - Flavor doesn't disappoint at all. As expected the raspberry presence is overwhelming and in your face up front. Sugary sweetness is a close companion but never seems overly sweet - the tartness of the fruit offsets this beautifully. I actually think I'm getting a bit of grapey fruitiness in there too at a lower, background level...not sure, but there is definitely some other fruitiness I'm getting that is lightly corrupting the raspberry goodness in here. Hops/malt...not really getting any - this is fruit all the way.

M - The fruit is intense along with its accompanying tartness that leaves the mouth watering and anticipating the next sip. Body is medium and juice-like, residual sugars beef this up quite a bit. Carbonation is ample, but not overpowering...crisp, sparkling and a bit tingly.

O - A very, very good fruit beer. I think this is a close second on my list of favorite raspberry beers behind New Glarus Raspberry Tart which is practically flawless. Glad I was able to obtain one of these...and it does hold up to the hype/demand pretty well...I have no regrets for the $18 I spent on this bottle, but after having this, I know that for half the price and a little bit of effort setting up a trade I can get all the Raspberry Tart I want and be even happier.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

2011 vintage. Finally, I sit here opening a bottle of my all-time biggest want. This bottle is in celebration of the NFL Lockout being lifted, and the Panthers re-signing Charles Johnson! For what it's worth, I have had this before, on tap.

This beer pours a full bodied dark red, reminiscent of a framboise, with a two finger, Valentine's Day pink head. It smells of Belgian yeast and sweet and tart raspberry puree. The raspberry is overpowering and delicious. It tastes of sweet raspberries, first and foremost, with a moderate tartness and a Belgian yeast finish. It offers complexity in terms of raspberry, offering every aspect of the fruit, but the beer itself is dominated by the raspberry. It is delicious and is like an imperial framboise. It drinks full in body and really is a big beer. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It's an exceptional beer and one of my all-time favorites. I can't wait to open an '07 in the following months!

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

750ml acquired in a trade with SpdKilz; shared with Klym.

Poured into a couple of Lost Abbey tulips. 2011 release.

A: A gradually violent pour yeilded a solid 2 1/2 finger head of pure strawberry milkshake froth. Creamy micro bubbles left a 360 horizon of cloudy lacing. Just a beautiful raspberry blanket smothers the walls of the glass. A deep black cherry body fills the body of the glass.

S: Potent fluffy, creamy, and seedy raspberries go deep into the nose. I think there's some essence of raspberry on my brain. Old strawberries marry the raspberries to the sounds of angelic lyres. Just a dash of yeast helps give the notes of sweetness enough texture to be identifiably raspberries. Cherry slushy sweetness certainly lingers.

T: POW raspberries, sweetness really gushes through the flood gates. This reminds me of that scene in the shining, where the red stuff comes pouring down the hallway. I just imagine that it was blushing monk staining the carpets, and not the blood of innocents. The yeast gives a flavor of age on the berries that makes it taste like a tart mixer. Sherry, raspberries, and strawberries live a harmonious life in this glass. Slightly bittering yeast notes add a tad of complexity. Otherwise pretty simple, but very tasty.

M: Extremely creamy full bodied milkshake mouth. This thing is so thick with ingredients that the alcohol has to fight through the surface in the middle end. There really isn't too much of a syrupy coating in this drink, despite the heavy concentration of ingredients. I really appreciate this, as syrupy mouthfeels aren't my favorite. At the same time this isn't a very dry mouthfeel, which I associate with most raspberry beers. That said, I love the niche that this beer has carved out for itself in the mouth. The mouth mimics the sensation of consuming fresh raspberries. Fuzzy, fluffy, and very berry.

O: I liked this a lot, but it is a bit too simple. At first I was really stoked on this beer, but after a bit I was pretty numbed by the overwhelming hand of raspberries. Half the glass and my palate was numbed, I wasn't pulling anything else of this glass at that point. Normally it's the alcohol that's numbing, but in this case it was the ingredients. That said, if you are a raspberry freak; then my friend, the eagle has landed. Outrageous raspberry fruit beer, but I would have liked some more complexity. An accomplishment in solid execution with an ingredient, but two-tones of complexity at best.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a lost abbey tulip & shared with Cavery. Big thanks to SPDKilz for providing this to cavery in a recent trade!

A: Pours a deep raspberry with a strawberry foam head. This thing looked like carbonated raspberry puree. Very true to the ingredients and very pretty head that leaves thick, foamy lacing.

S: Wow, raspberry creamsicle. Thick, natural raspberry with a cream like touch, and a hint of slightly sour yeast.

T: Pretty much true to the nose, with a raspberry/creamlike mix. One thing I love about this is I get a raspberry seed taste side-by-side with the raspberry flavor, just adding to the natural feel of it. Very sweet, with a perfect amount of raspberry tartness and some cream savory sweetness. The only thing I will say against the taste of this beer is that it's straight forward/simple with little transition, and if I sip too quickly the amount of sweetness and raspberry can get a little overwhelming and even noxious.

M: Heavy bodied for the style, but paired with refreshing carbonation and some creaminess. Some residue around the mouth, but it just adds to the natural feel of it. The mouthfeel really fits the flavor profile of the beer, which is a good thing, but I do think the thickness and creaminess of it takes away from the refreshing nature I expect from a fruit beer. That's a little personal, though, so I'll keep this at high marks for matching the flavors.

O: This beer is damn delicious. On deliciousness alone this thing would get an A+. However, I would like to see this beer calmed down just a bit, with a lighter mouthfeel, a little more tartness instead of sweetness and fewer raspberries. Point is, they may have overdone it a bit on the huge raspberry sweetness. Still love it, but to be a truly perfected, A+ beer, this thing will take some tweaking.

3.92/5  rDev -8%

On tap at the source. 7/9.

A: pours a very deep red with a minimal head. The pinkish foam receeds to nothing, no lace.

A: Sweet raspberries all the way here. I get notes of base malt and a touch of the belgian yeast, but it is all about the berries. I gt a healthy dose of alcohol in the nose as well.

T: sweet syrupy raspberries. I can appreciate a good fruit beer, a d this one seems to have all the makings. Great ripe red fruit flavor with Belgian yeast. The alcohol was not well hidden, which will limit the score some. Finishes sweet with a bunch of alcohol.

M: Medium body, lower on the carbonation. Somewhat syrupy.

O: Thicker than a regular fruit beer with way more alcohol, but not in a bad way. This is a really good beer and one I would have again. Skal.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Date: July 24th, 2011
Release: 2011
22 oz. bottle into glass snifter.
55°F

A: Hazy garnet body topped with a small pink head that quickly dissipates leaving just a ring of cover. Pretty standard fare for a beer of this style, but well executed none-the-less.

S: As to be expected raspberries fill the nose with a fresh sweet aroma. The sweetness comes off as fruit, a good thing considering how easy it would be for candy to come to mind.

T: Again raspberry is the order of the day. Interesting flavor, but without knowing it was a beer I would describe it as cheap carbonated wine. Even though this edition carries a less imposing 9.2% ABV the alcohol is detectable and a bit distracting.

M: Despite the sweet flavor you do not end up with a sugar coated tongue. A relatively dry body combined with moderate carbonation leave the palate clean.

O: This is a sipper and the bottle should definitely be shared. Served alone or possibly with cheesecake this beer would make a wonderful desert. Solid take on the style, but not my favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: I've heard this described as "maroon" or "burgundy" or "blood red" and once it's settled, it is. However, while pouring, it was a lighter, garnet color. Gorgeous all around. Very little head. Barely translucent.

S: Raspberries, champagne, Chambord. Hints of other similar fruits (eg. cherries, currants, etc.). Slight Belgian yeast undertones. Some sweet, dried scents and a hint of artificiality - almost like fruit snacks?

T: A bit tart - more like a real raspberry than I'd expected. Not overly sweet or cloying at all. Sort of like an imperial raspberry version of Cerise - nice and fruity, but also dry. Reminds a bit of a dry champagne paired with fresh fruit.

M: Not as viscous or as thick as I would have expected from the dark color. It's got the texture of a Belgian dubbel, I'd say. Or a bubbly quad, perhaps? Ample carbonation with medium-sized bubbles.

O: I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and I think it's worth the $15 price of admission. However, my wife raved about the brew, labeling it "one of the best beers" she's ever had. Well done, Founders.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

750 ml bottle into wine glass. Pours dark red color with a 1 finger fairly dense magenta colored head with great retention that reduces to a thin lacing cap hat lasts. Some light lacing on the glass as well. Aromas of huge fresh raspberries, and a bit of Belgian yeast. Very strong sweetness in the nose, with good strength as well. Taste of big raspberry sweetness with some Belgian yeast spiciness and a bit of breadiness and tartness as well. Some notes of tart raspberries linger on the finish for a bit with some spiciness from the yeast. Absolutely no alcohol noticed in the taste or finish. Medium carbonation and body. Very smooth an drinkable with a bit of a syrup-like mouthfeel. Overall just an outstanding fruit beer from Founder’s as expected. Extremely drinkable, and loaded with flavor without being too tart.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. Bottle split with my father for an early birthday celebration. 2011 Vintage picked up at the local Whole Foods.

A: Pours a perfect crimson with light purple hues around the edges. The creamy pink head is awesome. Pours out to 1 finger then slowly goes down to a mini head. A thicker film if you will. I'm very impressed with the look of this brew. No real impressive lacing going on.

S: Wonderful tart raspberries right up front that gives way to nice mild sweetness. Some cracker malts round it out.

T: Nice mouth puckering tart fruit on the initial sip. Like a dark cherry warhead or something similar. After the initial mouth shock it makes may to a mixture of semi-sweet and tart mixed berries.

M: Medium bodied with a perfect medium carbonation. Oily mouthfeel that coats the palate with a nice semi-tart candy fruit flavor.

O: I had NG Raspberry Tart last night and I must say that I enjoy this brew much, much more. I'm not getting any of the medicinal notes I picked up with the NG beer. Fruit beers are growing on me and this is another awesome example.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

If I'm going to start reviewing beer I'll start with a beer that really knocked my socks off.

Blushing Monk pours into a bright red, between scarlet & crimson. Carbonation is visible & as the baby pink-colored head recedes, minimal lacing is left on the top of the beer. The color is absolutely beautiful.

If you picked a handful of berries & put them to your nose, that is the smell of Blushing Monk. Note the natural tartness of the raspberries, yet the subtle sweetness of any berry you encounter. A very very subtle grassy smell to it. Smells nothing but natural.

The taste is tart, then sweet, then tart once more. The taste of alcohol is well concealed by the battle of the tart & sweet.

Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated & easy to drink. Perfect for a summer day, however the after-taste leaves a dry feeling in the mouth.

A wonderful beer to enjoy with friends on a wonderful day. It is a bit pricey for the style & I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer. I was curious to see what would develop from this style of beer, however Founders has found a way to make a positive contribution to fruit/vegetable beers.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

enjoyed this at a tasting with some awesome local BA's. Thanks guys! 750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

pours out just the most amazing shade of pinkish red with a nice light pink colored head.

in the aroma, straight fresh raspberries. not really getting much else.

again, nothing but big raspberry flavor here. tart, sugary, sweet raspberries. whats not to love.

much lighter bodied and very easily drinkable for the high ABV, i just wanted to keep gulping it down, i believe our bottle was somewhere around 9%, perhaps the latest version? not sure.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

7/23/2011

Big thanks to Ed (OHLRangers) for the 2011 and 2007 vintages. This is the 2011 vintage, poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: The color is a beautiful deep purple with a magnificent two fingers of magenta froth. The color is quite remarkable.

S: Unbridled raspberry flesh and seeds. The fruit is vibrant and sweet, coming to life with each swirl of the glass. Beyond the wonder of the raspberry fruit, there isn't much else to report. It's elegant in its simplicity.

T: Sweet and sugary raspberries with, well, raspberries. It reminds me a bit of raspberry syrup or raspberry jam. It's sugary sweet, but the taste is very nice.

M: Medium body with lower moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is smooth and sticky.

Overall: A very nice fruit beer. Sweet and sugary, but the fruit profile is undeniably excellent. I'm looking forward to trying to the 2007 version soon to see how it compares. The sweetness limits the drinkability, so you I wouldn't recommend opening this alone. This would be good on french toast.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Blushing Monk pours a crazy shade of deep dark red. It resembles red wine but with carbonation. The head is an unreal shade of deep pink that is unlike anything I have ever seen on a beer. The head has pretty decent retention and also leaves pretty very nice lace.

The aroma is bursting with fresh raspberry aromas. It is pretty amazing how intense the berry aroma is. There are also notes of blueberry and even some tart cherry that are coaxed out of the beer.

Berries rule the flavor as well, though the beer is not nearly as sweet as I had expected. It IS sweet, just not overly so. It has a very refreshing tartness that once again calls to mind tart cherries. Deep down it also has a more beer like note that reminds me a bit of Cerise. I think this would be a good point to mention that this beer has absolutely no trace of its sizable ABV in either the flavor or the aroma.

The mouthfeel is medium with a pretty subdued amount of carbonation and a very tart and fruity finish. It is a bit sticky on the end, but I am not surprised due to all the fruit sugars.

I found this brew to be a pretty darn good fruit beer and appreciated its balance of sweet to dry. It was full of fresh berry flavors but just a bit too sweet and fruity to be something I would drink a lot of. Interestingly, my wife who really likes sweet fruit lambics found this beer to be too dry. Go figure.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Deep reddish-pink with pink head and light lacing.

S - Extremely dominant raspberry and not much else.

T - Very tart raspberries up front with some complexity from the Belgian yeast. It almost makes you pucker as it finishes with a lingering tartness. This would be nicer with a bit more complexity/toned-down fruitiness.

M - Thin to medium-bodied with a dry, tart finish. Very effervescent.

O - Good Lambic-style Belgian ale by Founders. Very intense fruit beer worth trying, but it lacks some desired complexity.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a really red to pink liquid with lots of bubbles in and on top of the pour.
Smell is very berry. No alcohol in the nose.
Taste is a sweet sour at first then the bitter black fruit skin comes in like a good red wine. Alcohol is not tasted either.
Mouthfeel is very clean and when the mouth is dry there is some stickiness.
Overall , Founders did a great job with this fruit beer. The alcohol is very well hidden. Only problem is I could only get one bottle!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks Tom
Poured a nice deep red raspberry. Nice lacy pink head.
Smell is straight raspberry
Taste is raspberry with a bit of a wine like finish.
Mouthfeel is fruit juice like
Drinkability well this is lethal gots down way to easy and I love raspberries
Reminds me a lot of new glarus raspberry tart.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

2011 release, poured into a DFH Snifter

A - Darkish ruby red pour with a light-cherry tinted head. Nice retention and lace.

S - Aroma has a defined yeasty nature and a heavy dose of raspberry, as one would expect. There is a certain sharpness in the nose.

T&M - Immediately fruity and sweet up front with, you guessed it, lots and lots of raspberries...probably the most defined fruit/berry taste I've ever had in a beer. Behind the sweetness there is a slight funky yeastiness. In the back it becomes rather tart, and what seems rather simple initially quickly becomes somewhat complex. The swing from one extreme (sweet) to the other (tart) is interesting.

O - Pleasantly not what I was expecting. Loads and loads of raspberry flavor. If anything, I'd say I wish I had someone to share the bottle with. Over the length of imbibing, the sweetness seemed to get stronger.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

Hadst thou thine raspberries, red foaming mist heading fruit berry ras I lie alone, mouthfeel light, tart drinkable non-syrup good.

okay okay A: Looks like a carbonated red wine. The foam is there, and it's pink and it's cool! Maybe a little bit more hazy beer-brown than a Merlot, but the influence is there. This is a beer who's very pour shows you that you're in for something different.

S: All sorts of fun goodness here, and it definitely changes as it warms up. This is a beer that only smells Belgian after an hour or so outside of the refrigerator to me. The raspberries are there, and they're strong, one could even say that they dominate. But there's more to it.

T: Raspberries, tart funky (yeasty) sweetness, not syrupy or cloistering, maybe a little bit over-sweet but it's a drinkable beer. Very little alcohol presence present, at least not for the ABV. This is good stuff.

M: Easy drinking, dangerously so. Nice and carbonated, which gives it a sufficient tingly feeling to accomodate the heavy, heavy sweet fruit. This is the strong beer that I want to take to a barbecue when it's 100 degrees outside - that is, if I don't have to drive home.

O: There has been a lot of hype over this beer. Is it worth the high price tag? My opinion: Yes, but just barely. Maybe not even that. It's a fruit beer that doesn't suck, and a lot of fruit beers do suck, so it has that going for it. And it's as drinkable as you could ask for for a beer approaching 10% abv. But it isn't stellar, it feels like it's missing a little bit of body or substance.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a beautiful ruby color with a nice sized pinkish rose head, which falls back. The full glass is nearly opaque purplish black. Would have liked a longer lasting head or some lacing, but not sure what to expect in a strong fruit beer.

Smell is potent raspberry, reminds me of a good pie. Not too sweet. Tangy.

Raspberries. No alcohol taste. Raspberries. Raspberries.

Mouthfeel finishes pretty dry, maybe a little astringent. Some alcohol presence in the feel. Nothing notable about the carbonation, slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Am amazing beer. Not much could be improved

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Poured bloid red with a pastel pink head. Not as much visible carbonation as I expected.

S- Wow, very fresh smelling raspberry, but the light booziness makes it smell a lot like blue jolly ranchers. It does smell like real raspberries, however, nothing artificial comes through. Also reminiscent of some tomato or carrot juice earthiness.

T- Sparkling grape juice greets the palate, followed lush raspberry and light rhubarb tartness. A bit of alcoholic warmth rolls through at the end, just to remind you that this is beer. Excellent balance, but definitely a dessert beer. Like a handmade sorbet, it's refreshing and sweet while putting forth some unique character.

M- Less fizzy than I expected. This beer is very juicy but finishes a tad dry. A muscat-esque tang really rounds out the saccharine personality of the brew.

O- Fantastic beer, but too sweet to drink often. Perfect as an interesting dessert option. Considering it as such, its stellar within its style.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

2011 batch 750ml bottle. Poured into a white wine glass due to my lack of snifters.

Pours a deep red wine purplish red with a profoundly raspberry colored foamy head.

Smells of alcohol, raspberries, bready yeast, and some earthy notes as well.

Wow.. This is some tasty stuff. First taste left my wife saying she had found her new favorite beer. Raspberries right up front in your face. First sip gives me a bit of a sour cherry pucker in my back lower jaw. Lots of sweetness up front with the sour in the finish. Very drying of the tongue despite it causing me to salivate for more. You still get a bit of the yeasty malt in the middle as you would expect from a Belgian ale.

The mouthfeel is good, light carbonation, medium body, coats well.

This is a stellar fruit beer. If all fruit beers were like this one, it would be my favorite style. I just cannot find a complaint about it. My wife even had the idea to make a beer float with it and a scoop of black raspberry chip icream. AMAZING!

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

2011 Version

1/2 finger of pink hued white head. Color is a dark grape-juice purple. Very appealing.

Aroma: A ton of raspberries. A bit tart, a bit sweet. Reminds me of the previous version. I pick out the jelly that I found in the last version as well. This beer is complex, but I really can't pick out the other flavors.

Taste: Raspberries with a bit of tartness. Very fruity. There isn't really any other standout flavors. Straight up raspberry.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and tart. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends very clean.

Overall, the main thing that I noticed different about this beer was that I couldn't pick out the alcohol. I guess the small drop made a difference. A really solid beer.

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

2011 edition, 750ml bottle into a DFH snifter.

A - Dark red/purple body. Light pink head. Looks a lot like a framboise.

S - Well....raspberries. I can't detect anything else. Still really natural.

T - No suprise here. Raspberry overload. Very fresh and natural raspberry syrup. Crisp and smooth mouthfeel, but somewhat syrupy. Just a hint of alcohol on the end.

O - Very nice raspberry...drink? Its hard to call it a beer, but its still really refreshing. Made for a nice 50th review on an "excessive heat warning" day.

Founders Blushing Monk from Founders Brewing Company