Founders Blushing Monk - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Blushing MonkFounders Blushing Monk

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.20% ABV

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.

(Beer added by: granger10 on 09-15-2005)
3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

thick cranberry juice looking beer with next to no head.
the aroma is all big, juicy, almost perfune-y raspberry with a few slightly sharper aroma that bring to mind skin and seed.
the taste is also rich sweet and sour raspberry juice. a little like vinous. there is an underlying faint woody mustiness, but that's the extent of any complexity i pick out. the booze is exceedingly well masked until it get to just about room temp and then it becomes noticable...
the body is less full than it look like in the glass, but still fullish medium. very little carbonation.
decent drinkability. a bomber is honestly a bit much, but it's very tasty. i don't know how "blegian" it is though.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Deep pinky red color. Reminds me of the old dessert 1 2 3 and the shades of red that were in it. Very carbonated but not much head. Huge rasberry and tart/sour aroma. Blast of fruit and rasberries up front. Great sourness and slightly sweet as well. Very well done between the 2 tastes. The sour bite is really, really great. Almsot seems an alcohol bite but I dont think so. Very bright and lively mouthfeel. Rather thin and quaffable. Fantastic all around. Could do this on a regular basis and often. Right up there with New Glarus-which I love-for me.

2.6/5  rDev -38.8%

I love Founders' beers and, despite the cost for them out here (I have to buy them in the Philly area), have never had any reason to complain once I tasted the product. The Blushing Monk was expensive (to say the least), but as it was from Founders, I figured it would be more then worth the price. To say I was surprised and disappointed would be an understatement.

The beer pours a very red raspberry color with very little head and pretty much no lacing. On the nose the beer is very sweet smelling, reminding me of Hawaiian punch spiked with alcohol. On the palate this beer is nothing short of a disaster and I just don't get it. It sort of reminds me of a fruit flavored lambic, but it's much sweeter. The beer finishes with some sourness, but it's not enough to offset the sweet cool aide/fruit punch flavor up front.

On the bottle I have, the abv. was listed at 12.3%. I only wish it were the 9.5% listed on this site as 12.3% was clearly too high for a beer like this. The combination of fruit punch sweetness, coupled with the alcohol, made this beer nearly undrinkable.

A very poor effort from this otherwise outstanding brewery. A beer to avoid IMHO.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

The last of the Founders bottles that my wife brought back with her from a trip to Grand Rapids. Saving the best for last, perhaps? I had this about a week or so ago and took notes.

I poured this from the 22 oz. bomber into a Belgian snifter. It was a rich cranberry red color, with a thin, light purple head. Honestly, I'd never a beer quite like this before; a remarkable shade of red, to be sure. The nose was kind of a boozy spicey raspberry scent. My wife said it smelled like alcoholic jolly ranchers, which wasn't inaccurate. It was very rich and pungent. The taste was tart throughout. Not too sweet, though, which was good. It had a spicey, peppery tang to it, which I found endearing. The mouthfeel was creamy, full-bodied, and tingly.

This is a smooth fruit beer, but also noticeably boozy; it's basically the Rubeaus on steroids. At 12.3% ABV, it's not exactly easy sippin', and there's really not much in the way of hops to balance things out. Still, it's tasty and is definitely worth a try. The folks at Founders don't do bad beers, and this is another good one.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

The strong rasberry scent of this ale is sweet but not cloying, a nice change from the candy quality of so many fruity lambics. The color is a deep pink, a mix between magenta and ruby; the blush of the Blushing Monk. Very small head. The taste is clean, sweet and fruity, but not too sweet, with a dry quality, very reminiscent of a rich red wine. The flavor was full enough to hide the strong abv. I sampled this beer at Extreme Beer Fest 2006 and had been searching for it since. I took a beer break for the past few months and found this to be very drinkable given my palate's complete cleansing.

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

What can one say about this brew? The raspberry’s come through in every aspect – sight, aroma and taste. You can almost feel them.

The taste is sweet, a bit more of a Belgium aspect would help this brew moderate from the overly sweet raspberry beer to a drinkable brew.

This is almost like drinking raspberry Kool-Aid, but with a touch of carbonation.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Can't remember where I picked this up but I've been pretty excited to try it as I like the normal Rubaeus.

Pours a slightly hazed ruby red/maroon, nice colour, thin pinkish head forms, settles to a thin layer, leaves some nice lace rings. Smell is raspberries, fruits, toast, sour and tart blackberry seeds, bread, grains, nice. Taste is sweet berries, raspberry, caramel, very fresh taste, alcohol is non existant, sugary and fruity finish, but with a tart and bitter berry seed aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, low carbonation, bit of warmth comes across, very nice fruit beer, nice complexity.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Blushing Monk costs the same as a six-pack of Rubaeus, so, by my crude, utilitarian calculations, it needs to be 3.27 times better than Founders 'other' amazing fruit beer. That's too tall a challenge (and an unfair one), but Blushing Monk comes close: this is the first fruit beer I've had that can hold its own with New Glarus's raspberry and cherry brews.

It's purplish-maroon with a thin, persistent head (which seems to be a signature of Founders's strong beers). The raspberry aroma is overwhelming and portends the flavor itself: an overwhelming burst of fruity and sour flavors. There's even a light salty edge that imparts just a hint of balance to the fruit flavors.

The finish is warming and dry and shows a slight alcohol tinge; the 12.3% ABV is as well hidden as I've ever seen in a beer--the fellas at Dogfish Head should take note here before they brew their next batch of Fort.

Unlike New Glarus's fruit beers, my praise here is not unconditional, and I do want to register a few points of contention with the folks over in Grand Rapids: how exactly does the Belgian yeast strain playing out in this beer? is this anything but a jacked-up version of Rubeaus? am I drinking a Belgian-style beer with fruit or just a fruit beer? My tasting suggests answers of "nowhere," "that's exactly what it is," and "the latter," for which I'll dock them a point here or there. These quibbles aside, Blushing Monk remains a formidable and wonderful brew.

Highly recommended. Just don't expect anything Belgian. And if you're a utilitarian, Rubeaus wins out, but don't pass this one up!

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

This beer pours a ruby red color, slightly cloudy, with a thin pink colored head. The head fades quickly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a nice sweet raspberry aroma. It smells slightly cider like. A little spicy. It also smells slightly tart.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Sweet, with a very pleasent raspberry flavor. It is slightly tart also. Very well balanced. It has a slight spicy flavor also. The alcohol is not noticable in the aroma or the flavor.

This beer leaves a sweet and tart raspberry aftertaste. It warms slightly as it goes down, showing the only hint on higher alcohol. Despite the lack of head, this beer is highly carbonated.

This beer would probably make a decent session beer. It is a little high in alcohol, but it tastes good. Not overbearing at all.

Overall: Thanks Faro for yet another great beer. My wife sends her thanks as well. This beer is great. Fruit beers are fun, and never boring.

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Got this one in a trade with DavidEddie, thanks!

Pours a lovely rosy color and settles into a dark crimson with minimal head.

Huge aroma of raspberry jam and caramel malts. A bit of alcohol but mostly well hidden.

Sweet raspberries upfront with a little tart and dry finish. Alcohol is a little evident in the finish but more in the like of dry, sour grapes. Can’t say that this is a very complex beer but it’s a real tasty one. Good carbonation but a little too dry in the finish for me.

Drinkability had to suffer for its price, I don’t see how this bomber, while being very good beer, can cost $16 or so. Definitely a beer worth nursing for a while as the raspberry sweetness and alcohol intensify a bit as it warms up.

Good beer to try but I don’t think I’ll seek this one too often.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a beautiful ruby red color with a nice thin white bubbly head. Lots of bubbles rise to the top in an attempt to keep the head afloat, but alas it dies down.

S: Nice tart raspberries with a hint of pure cane sugar. The aroma alone makes this one worth buying.

T: Nice tart Raspberry with a hint of sugar. Very nice balance between sweet and tart. There is a hint of spice hiding below which makes this one really drinkable.

M: Nice light sparkling and refreshing.

D: Very. I shared this bottle but could have consumed the entire bottle myself.

Overall: Another wonderful Founders brew. Tons of raspberry flavor that keeps you running back for more. I really enjoyed this brew; I just wish I had bought more than 1 bottle.

3.55/5  rDev -16.5%

This beer was a very pleasant summer-y fruit beer, but more boozy and challenging than most others in the genre I've had such as Leinie's Berry Weiss, New Glarus Raspberry Tart/Belgian Red, and Lindeman's Framboise. I think this is a "big" fruit beer...which for me would be a first.

Color was a pinkish hue which was a bit hazy and milky in color and clarity. Head was pretty average in quantity and whitish in color, but didn't stick around for long. Aroma was pretty light and effervescent, and was fruity, lightly sour, and a bit champagne-y. Flavor was a bit sour (but not a lot of intense sour cherry-ness), tasted a bit of candied sugar, and lots of fruit. Mouthfeel was pleasant but unremarkable.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of fruit beers, but this one was pretty good.

I split this bottle with SurlySober...where he got it I don't know.

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

22oz bottle shared at Phatz' sour beer tasting

Appearance: Very deep ruby red color with a dull ruby red head that gets to about an inch and dissipates. Barely any lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: Extremely upfront in the aroma. Sour raspberries all the way. I detect a lot of sweet sugars as well, as with a raspberry preserve.

Taste: Very strong sweet and tart raspberry flavor. Alcohol is huge and clocks in at 12%, really making its presence known. The flavor is vinous and almost wine-like in intensity and shows a woody touch of flavor (from what?). Good thing I love raspberries.

Mouthfeel: Again, sugary and viscous in the mouth. Tartness is there and so is a little bit of carbonation. Alcohol is huge for me, and leaves a warming belt.

Drinkability: Why don't they bottle stuff like this in a 12 oz bottle? It would be quite hard to open one of these 22s and finish it by yourself. At $15.99 and with it being so limited, I wasn't thoroughly impressed, but it was worth trying. This is a surefire dessert beer. I'll stick with the Rubaeus from now on.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

My allergies are kicking up a bit, which means it's time to reach for the sledgehammers in my collections. That's right, time for the American Hop Bombs, and super fruit beers. Into the Arcadia footed glass...

A - Guess what? It's red. Ok, it's a darkish red/pink color with good pink head and some minimal lacing. Yum.

S - Guess what? It smells like raspberries! Well, candied raspberries. Does an amazing job of hiding the alcohol (12.3 APV according to the bottle). A nice, sweet and tart aroma.

T - Wow! It tastes like raspberries too! Actually, seems like there are apple notes too. Alcohol does show up a bit in the finish, and adds some spice, but again, I would not have know this was 12.3% I'm impressed.

M - Very crisp, but has an almost syrupy body at the same time. It works well.

D - This is scary, it's as easy to drink as the Ruebaus, but is twice as strong. It sticks to raspberry, and doesn't seem to explore a whole lot, but it is very good at what it is.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance is a maroon purple color. A finger of big bubbled head that vanishes quickly. Interesting color, although no real lacing. Nose is crazy spicy raspberries. Very light hint of sourness. Flavor is solid. Sour raspberry notes, but not as strong as the sweetness. Alcohol is covered up really well, and grows as the beer warms. Sourness shows up at the end. Winelike, although very sweet. A nice mix of random dried fruit as well. Feel is excellent: crispy, biting, refreshing high carbonation. Body is medium, maybe a little thin but good with the carbonation. Overall, I liked this one, although it's not the most complex beer in the world (standard for the style). A lot like a sparkling (and highly alcoholic) raspberry juice.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

This is Raspberry Tart with a lot more alcohol -- but so well hidden.

A perfect balance of sweet, strong and tart.
Smell is raspberries,
Taste is raspberries,
appearance is a bright red raspberry clear.

A superb offering. Certainly didn't taste its ABV. If you love New Glarus Raspberry Tart and high ABV beers (and I do) you will love this beer (and I do).

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Clear brilliant crimson with a thin pink head.

S - Very strong raspberry aroma. There is a sweetness that leans toward a sugary smell and a tartness that creates a cranberry aroma.

T - Slightly sweet to start but then becomes pretty tart. All raspberry with a touch of cranberry. It almost has a raspberry vodka feel to it with the dryness and alcohol in the taste.

M - Medium body and spritzy with the high carbonation. Dry with a slight alcohol burn.

D - I think this one is better in small doses. I always loved the samples I had at the Great Taste but drinking a whole 22oz was a little tough. Still a nice tasty fruit beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Pours a dark golden brown color with a pink head that is rocky and builds up tall on the glass. Dies down to leave lacing along the side of the glass and a ring on top of this nice looking beer. Smell is of berries and more fruit in the background. Taste is even more fruit, but not much else, and I did not complain. Absolutely a shock coming from a big beer. Anyone that says they don't like beer, give them this and it might blow their socks off... This does not taste like "beer"

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a brilliant light crimson with a frothy pink head that dies to a ring. Very lively carbonation. Smells of huge, sweet raspberries, and....raspberries. Taste is awesome. Juicy fresh raspberries that are sweet and tart. Makes me pucker with delight. Medium in the mouth with a great tickle on the toungue from the lively carbonation. ABV is absolutely non existant. This beverage is an abolute delight!

2.65/5  rDev -37.6%

$13.59 a bottle at Woodman’s East. Wowza! 12.3% Pours a crimson lavender with a huge pink tinged white head. Dissipation is rapid despite a lot of visible carbonation. Aroma is boozy and very powerful, consisting mostly of raspberries. Very tart and boozy flavor of raspberries. Full to the point of being heavy. Raspberry flavor is out of this world but it’s one dimensional, not that that is necessarily bad. I think this beer is exactly what the brewers were going for. It’s really quite astounding. Personally, however, I am not very happy with it. It’s just too big, too strong, and too much of a good thing. I also don’t like that the body, at least to me, seems to come more from alcohol then from raspberries. Impressive it is, simply for being so big and so fruity but I really did not enjoy it and had a tough time finishing the bottle, even with a little help.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- About a inch pink head on a pure red body (a bit on the darker side).
S- Huge raspberry aroma! Smells like pure fresh raspberries crushed up. Maybe just a hint of caramel.
T- Really strong raspberries. Sweet and tart with some sour ones too. Really all over the board with the different flavors of raspberries. Some fresh raspberry juice comes through. Some warmth from alcohol and alcohol tickles the tongue too. Just a hint of caramel makes it through in this. Other than that it is a concentrated raspberry flavor.
M- Medium/full body with low/medium carbonation. I think a bit lower on the carbonation would be better.
D- It is a great beer if you love strong raspberry flavors. Not a style I would usually spend $15 on but I am glad I tried it. Probably not one I would get again. Nice beer to watch a rugby game with!

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12.3% alc per label.Poured into a oversized wine glass a full rich raspberry red with a hint of brown to it a lacy pink colored head atop,wow big tart raspberry aromas a bit of sweet alcohol and toast as well.Tastes like the raspberries off the bush I used to eat when running around the woods of central MI as a kid very tart with just a bit of sweetness but the tartness really is the show,there is a toasty backbone and a sticky sweet aftertaste and mouthfeel making it more that just tart raspberries on the palate.The best fruit beer of any kind I have had I had Rubeus over the summer and this is a double version of that,kick ass beer.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

On tap at Capone's...
Appears a dense crimson and purple with a small head of pink foam that fades into a mild film and collar. Scattered spots are left around the glass.
Smell is of rich raspberry sorbet, mixed berry yogurt, & tropical fruit esters.
Taste is of a rich, complex raspberry smoothie with lip smacking, creamy goodness. Wow.
Mouthfeel is like a sweet tart filled with fruity jam. It tickles the front of the tongue upon the sip and hits the rear of the tongue with verocity. Full bodied, rich, chewy, yeasty, and chocked full of berries.

22 oz bottle was about $16 at The Keg in Clarksville, Indiana. Pours a slightly hazed garnet body with a small and soapy pink head. A few flecks of lace are left on the goblet. Aroma is earthy yeasty mushrooms and lots of raspberries. Taste mirrors the aroma, with lots of tart raspberries and some earthy yeast. Alcohol is miraculously hidden except for a slight warmth. Very drinkable for such a large fruit beer.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at Capone's outside Philadelphia.

Served in a snifter-pours a slightly burnt rose color. Head is minimal and dissipates quickly.

Smells like raspberries. Can't detect any malt aroma. Pleasant but I would have like to smell something other than raspberries.

No surprises in the taste- raspberries dominate. Tart and very thirst quenching. Not hugely complex but pleasant. Reminds me of a Jones Soda (which are tasty).

Mouthfeel is a bit thin and soda like carbonation. Good beer but I would like to have seen some malt presence to counter the fruit.

Founders Blushing Monk from Founders Brewing Company