Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Double TroubleFounders Double Trouble

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006)
Reviews by ghostwalker:
ghostwalker

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Neck was marked as being bottled on 1/06/12, I guess that counts as fresh in anyone's estimation. I know it works for me!

Golden body with thin head. Little lacing. Nice looking beer, nothing too special, but certainly no defects either.

Nose is all sharp hops, pine more than citrus.

Pine dominates into the flavor. Malt is there, but only to hold the hops together. Citrus and pine components combine into a buzzsaw of hop character that just totally does it for me. It's a bit hot, but that works for me in an IPA this fresh. Flavor is absolutely clean. Just a really solid DIPA.

Mouthfeel is light and slick, no creaminess here. Oddly, very little tooth-strippiness, although it's quite hoppy.

Overall, a really solid IPA. I think it's fantastic, but not a world-changer. Heresy for a Founders product? I don't think so, they make great beer, but I don't feel the need to camp out in line before each new release.

01-20-2012 01:11:43 | More by ghostwalker
threeviews

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Decanted from a 12oz bottle (Bottled On Date: 05/29/14) into a 12oz ballon/snifter @ ~40F. I would also like to make mention of the incredible artwork on the label (be sure to view it both upright and inverted).

A- Pours a hazy, yellow-orange (think of the sunrise as it breaks the horizon on a tropical island). Being a winter seasonal, gives me hope that I am one day closer to Spring. Directing the fluid to the center of the glass (i.e. aggressive pour), I was able to elicit about a 1-finger of white, wispy head. (4.75)

S- Wow! My olfactory hues are engulfed with citrus...sweet orange/tangerine with notes of tropical fruits. As the head subsides, the malt backbone along with a healthy dose of pine comes out to play. Extremely mouthwatering...dank, puckering goodness. (4.75)

T- Since eloquence is fighting me, I cannot describe this any other way than dank, piney, alcoholic grapefruit juice. The malts support but never dominate, allowing the hops to shine as brightly as this beer's appearance. Despite the IBU's, the bittering hops comes in well after taking a sip and the malts quietly do their part to support hop load. (4.75)

M- The malt-to-hop ratio is near perfect for a DIPA. The carbonation is moderate, but enough to open the palate to fully enjoy the substantial hoppiness. The malt is present in the finish to prevent any level of astringency. (4.75)

O- As it warms the alcohol is noticeable on the palate and in the chest. Founders' aggressive offerings have yet to disappoint, especially with their ability of producing exceptional stouts (KBS, Breakfast Stout and Imperial Stout). Their ability to brew a world-class Imperial IPA in Double Trouble is no different. (4.75)

Final comment: Some may criticize (as I think some have written) that this beer suffers from being one dimensional by not possessing the usual plethora of aromas/flavors found in other DIPA's. However, I have never tasted anything as dank and citrusy since Stone Ruination IPA...in this case, simplicity is Double Trouble's charm.

07-05-2014 21:59:18 | More by threeviews
CJRubes

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Purchased on 7/19/14 with a 'Brewed On' date of 6/17/14 making this bottle a little over a month old. 12 oz. Bottle poured into my Tree House Brewing tulip glass.

A – Poured with a thin, white head that dissipated quickly leaving clumps of small bubbles on top. Has decent lacing on the glass but doesn't really cling tremendously well. It has a slightly hazy, gold color. I find it a bit lighter in color than other DIPAs I've had.

S – Nice citrusy, fruity hops right up front. I'm getting some pine/resin with a lot of mango, tangerine, and orange. The malt sweetness is hiding in the background and isn't overpowered by the hops. Really nice smelling DIPA...it's making my mouth water waiting for my first sip!

T – Mmmm, very nice. I get the tropical fruit/citrus hops right up front which melds right into piney, resinous hops. It leaves a long, bitter and dry aftertaste, which isn't unpleasant. There's a lot of hop oils in this one...it's really coating my mouth well. Malts are subdued and offer a solid background for the hops to shine on. After a few sips I'm starting to notice the 9.4% abv. Certainly not overpowering but it has enough alcohol presence to notice it's there. Overall a very nice tasting DIPA.

M – The oily hop resin really stands out to me in the beer. It fills my whole mouth. Above average carbonation...a bit high in my opinion but I don't think it takes anything away from the beer. Not the most creamy IPA but the mouthfeel is still smooth and luscious.

O – Very good DIPA. It would be well worth checking out for any hophead out there. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I didn't know how well Founder's would do with a DIPA but they really succeeded with this one.

07-22-2014 21:30:53 | More by CJRubes
orcrist_cleaver

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Poured a very attractive gold/tangerine. Less than half finger of very loose head (you could see down into the beer).

S: Good tropical fruit and pine. Pineapple is very prominent. Bright, juicy, sweet with a sense of pale malts, a hint of caramel and earth.

M: Pretty slick, a little sticky and a tad of cloy. Overall, medium body lacking just a bit in carbonation. Alcohol isn't warming, but their is a tingling sensation at finish.

T: Mango, pineapple, grapefruit, orange and tangerine round out the fruit profile. Florally, pine needles and sap resin are featured. Earthy and rooty as well, biscuity notes, soft toast.

O: This is about a solid DIPA one will find that is readily available (during Summer), and that you don't have to go on a scavenger hunt for. price is equally respectable, averaging $3.50/btl. Good grapefruit tartness and the biscuit ant root malts even each other out. The tropical fruit and dank resin compliment each other as well.

08-09-2014 18:07:53 | More by orcrist_cleaver
ShadyRigglesbee

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer is a hop lovers dream!
Very hoppy, very delicious. Pours a nice golden orange. Not much head and a loose lace. Very piney with plenty of citrus notes (pineapple & mango) and a nice malt backbone. For the price and availability (Jul-Sep), this is a great Imperial DIPA. Love it. Enjoy.

08-19-2014 21:43:43 | More by ShadyRigglesbee
oberon

4.22/5  rDev 0%

I have wanted to try this offering from the home state for quite awhile.Poured into a standard pint glass a foggy/hazy light to medium golden with a tight formed 1/2 white head that settled slowly leaving shotty lace.Deep pine resin in the nose along with leather and alcohol dipped dark fruit,strong flavors on the palate,the alcohol does not hide by any means.Resiny pine and citrus rind really hit up front,big alcohol sweetness comes thru along with some overripe pineapple,it can sting ya after after one or two.A bigtime American hop monster,it will kick ya in the teeth,just the way I like it.

03-08-2009 22:00:18 | More by oberon

DanGeo

05-14-2013 21:23:18 | More by DanGeo
tectactoe

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Double Trouble pours a translucent, sunburst-orange color with some darker highlights around the edges, appearing nearly copper at times. A thick, creamy cap tops this one off, slightly off-white in color leaving plenty of fat lacing behind as it trudges down the glass. Very nice and clean looking beer - I appreciate unfiltered IPA's, although the crystal clear ones are always extremely impressive as well.

The aroma on Double Trouble is crazy-powerful, especially considering this particular bottle is less than a week old. Insane tropical fruits and citrus obliterate my sense of smell momentarily as my face is buried in the glass; pineapple, mango, nectarines, grapefruit... So fresh and deliciously juicy. Very sweet and delectable with a more-than-solid, hoppy counterpoint. Lightly floral, leafy, and piney hops hit just as hard with some oily resins and a nearly dank character. Double Trouble smells fantastic.

There's a huge hop presence on the palate - to be expected for a 9.4% ABV Double IPA, although alcohol isn't noticeable at all. Leafy, earthy, and lightly herbal, pepper-coated hops trash about with some pine and hop oil flavors in the background. Though the assertiveness of the profile takes a jump, the sweet tropical fruits are still heavy in the flavor - pineapple and nectarines are the most dominant of all.

The finish contains some grassy and onion-like notes, just enough to be interesting but not so much as to be off-putting or weird. Malt in this one is low. Lower than lower. At the most, maybe some sweet breadiness in the very, very background, but even then - I'm probably just kidding myself. This thing is all about the hoppy off-balance, and it does it so well. Medium bodied, borderline sticky with a wet and slick mouth feel; high carbonation.

Double Trouble has always been one of my favorite, local IPAs. I really wish it was available year-round, but a seasonal release means you always know that you're getting it fresh, and this stuff is amazing when it's fresh, so I guess there is a nice trade-off. So out of kilter towards the hops, but in such a lovely and delicate way. Tastes like a DIPA with the drinkability of an APA.

07-01-2012 01:04:02 | More by tectactoe
ExtraStout

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I love me a good DIPA, & have enjoyed almost all of Founder's brews to date, so what's not to like. The beer is clearer than most IPAs, innocent enough looking brew but holy crap the hops are coming off this thing in a hurricane-strength storm surge. This is good.

The first sip is such a riot of hoppyness that it just about sears the top of my mouth...you know, like when you have too many sweets? That's what I'm getting. The second & third sips follow close behind. C'mon, geez, where's the balance? Nowhere to be found. Good! Bring your hops to the party, DIPA, & leave them nasty malts behind.

My tummy is warming after about 2 oz. My nose is numb. My mouth is going numb. Maybe they should sell this in those tiny liquor bottles, because after that I'm already starting to long for that first blast to the head.

Truly a top-shelf beer & a first class DIPA. These are folks who know that you CAN'T PUT TOO MANY HOPS IN DIPA. Kudos to them!

04-28-2012 23:32:03 | More by ExtraStout
DavyJones

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Golden orange, slight haze, one finger head poured into a tulip. Mild lacing, not aggressive. A very pretty girl.

S: Pineapple is what stands out to me. Supporting roles of grapefruit citrus and hops, and mildly sweet malt ending things out.

T: Hops right at the forefront of the mouth; Hops that immediately diminish to a mild citrus fruity mid section which trails out to the back of the mouth. Dry, moderately hoppy, mildly sweet malty finish, with the quintessential double IPA-bitter aftertaste.

M: Light to medium body, slightly syrupy and resiny on the palette well after drinking, which is not a problem for me. Very drinkable.

O: A friggin fantastic brew from Founders. Picked up a four pack for first time today, and very glad to have done so. I recommend trying this beer if you're a IPA fan.

Now Igor- bring me my second Founders Double Trouble of the night!

04-18-2012 00:38:00 | More by DavyJones
somewhatdamaged

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours more like a wheat beer than a IPA, cloudy with a sun-kissed hue vs the amber rust of a traditional IPA. There is a slight creamy head that sticks to the edge of your glass. The alluring aroma has a fairly standard sweet pine vapor, maybe a little sweeter than most IPA's but it definitely draws you in. When first you touch glass to lips visions of the mad scientists at Founders pureeing whole hops and stuffing them into bottles dance through your cranium. A very powerful pungent spice hits you like a ton of bricks. Either you raise your glass in triumph or recoil in horror. This beer is not for those who enjoy a pale, but for those who wish hops to become one with their soul. A sweet piney bitterness surrounds the experience. A dominant sweet taste rushes the palette at first with a strong bitter backside. After a few deep pulls at 9.4 A.B.UV. a warmth rushes the body. The lines are drawn either you praise the hop gods or you cruse spending 9 bucks on a 4 pack! Tis not a beer for the faint of heart but a true treat for the hop hounds.

07-05-2010 01:43:52 | More by somewhatdamaged
TCHopCraver

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Reviewed from notes on 7/7/10.

A: The color is gold with a touch of orange. A slight head burns off rapidly, leaving a murky white film on top of the beer. The lacing is interesting, like beads and strings of sweat that stick to a body on a hot and muggy Michigan day.

S: A blend of super fresh tropical fruit- mango, papaya, pineapple, honeydew melon- and citrus- orange and grapefruit- leap out of this brew and into my nose. There is a slight piney hop fragrance with just a touch of sweet malt that complement the off-the-charts fruity hop profile. This is an exceptional, potent, original smell.

T: Heavier on the bitter grapefruit, pine, resin, and earthy hop flavors than I picked up from the smell. Those tropical fruits are still quite prevalent, but the bitter balance lends a nice complexity to this brew. The malt and yeast lend just enough presence to this aggressive hop profile to present a truly delicious double IPA. Quite sweet and quite bitter at the same time. Remarkable.

M: The body is a little on the thin side, because the malt bill is definitely a backseat passenger on this beer's joyride. I adore the bitter hop profile that is landing on the sides of my palate.

D: For a hophead such as myself, this is quite drinkable. There really is not any alcohol detectable and the sweet tropical fruit/bitter hop counterpoint is quite mind-expanding. I have had this beer several times and I have never been quite this impressed with its complexity and craftsmanship. It is by far the best double I have had in awhile. Congratulations, Founders. I am starting to think that if I had to choose on brewery from which to drink beer from for the rest of my life, the gem in Grand Rapids would be the one.

07-08-2010 19:34:30 | More by TCHopCraver

06-19-2013 15:49:13 | More by jono0101
brownbeer

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Pink grapefruit and candied orange nose with accompanied by peach, pine, and a little whiff of alcohol that doesn't really show in the taste.

Very nice, bright and juicy fruit on the tongue. Grapefruit, cotton candy, pine needles, bitter orange, and a bit of a salty flavor as well. Loaded with pleasant sublties.

A nice DIPA that doesn't weigh on you too much, nice drinkability. Worth trying and actually fun to drink.

01-30-2010 00:14:11 | More by brownbeer
Tiernan

05-08-2013 05:04:04 | More by Tiernan
hopsleeroy

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz bottle shared with girlfriend

A-Hazy golden honey, 0.5 inch white head that dissipated quickly
S-Citrus grapefruit, slight carmael honey malt background, melon flavor as well
T-Grapefruit melon citrus, pine flavor with pine really lingering on back end(slightly overpowering), crushed aspirin astrigency at the end, very drying, nice up front flavor but finish leaves bad impression
M-Full and creamy, low carbo, nice feel in mouth until drying astrigency
D-Good flavor but finish kills the desire to have another one. Good try might be better in 6 months when hops die down a bit.

03-03-2009 03:59:49 | More by hopsleeroy
weatherdog

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield Il, served in a 10oz. snifter

It poured a clear honey with a bright white head on top. There was medium lacing that stayed on the glass sides.

The aroma is unlike anything I've smelled before. I swear I could smell grapefruit coming from the faucet. I've had many a citrusy IPA's and have smelled grapefruit before but this was insane and twice as strong as any other I've ever smelled. Since I'm a sucker for citrusy IPA's this beer really got to me. I'm gonna guess this beer is dry-hopped with insane amounts of Amarillo.

The taste had a similar intensity of grapefruit hops with an addition of a firm intense bitterness. Malt is really nowhere to be seen. Like I previously said I love me a citrusy IPA the bitterness was too intense and lingered for too long for me to rate it higher.

The carbonation was pretty high and tingly. There was this weird mouthfeel thing about halfway through the taste. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it but the mouth suddenly becomes dry. I get a similar mouthfeel in beers that are Brett heavy or have a lot of smoked malt, neither which this beer has. My only guess as to what causes it would be hop resins but I'm not positive.

05-04-2010 19:20:02 | More by weatherdog

ajkiser12

11-27-2012 20:03:38 | More by ajkiser12
sgoodship

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Picked this up at Binny's in the South Loop, Chicago.

A: Light, slightly hazy honey dew amber color with plenty of carbonation action. Popped up a nice clean and creamy 2 finger head. Superb head retention and epic lacing. Love the label BTW - one of my favorites.

S: Hops all the way. Gapefruit, pine, lemon. Slight earthiness.

T: Lovely. Nice bit of malt caramel sweetness but followed with a swift kick in the pants from the hops - a mix of the citrus and pine. Ends with an aggressive piney bite but never becomes too overbearing. Nice progression - makes you want to pound it down.

M: The malt gives a nice medium body roundness to it. There's a good amount of carbonation but it is well done and doesn't interfere with the smoothness of the mouth and the crisp dryness of the finish.

D: Would drink this all the time but it costs a million dollars for a 4 pack. It's as simple as that. Highly drinkable - don't notice the fairly high ABV.

04-06-2009 00:17:45 | More by sgoodship