Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Double TroubleFounders Double Trouble

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Reviews: 1,626 | Hads: 6,197

Poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy deep golden yellow with one-finger, white, foamy head that lasted a couple of minutes. Nice lacing.

S: Hops, pine and citrus. Sweet caramel malt.

T: Moderate sweetness and solid hop bitterness. The bitterness is up front and the sweet malt follows. Matches the nose. Very good.

M: Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Slightly dry.

O: This is a really good Double. I was surprised to see 9.4% ABV - I couldn't tell. (451 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

12oz bottled 4/6/13 served in a tumbler glass. It pours a nice clear gold body with a chunky white head. Double Trouble smells of big juicy hops, resinous pine, light caramel malt, and a touch of booze.

It starts with pungent hop flavor of grapefruit, citrus, lemon, some malt, and finishes with bitter pine flavor in my mouth. It's not overly bittersweet and not too resinous. Lots of juicy fruit flavor to be had in this one. It has a nice medium mouthfeel that drinks easy but is lethal.

It reminds me a lot of HopSlam and turns my world upside down / : (559 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Enticing light golden honey color with a finger of bone white head. Very admirable lacing.

S: As soon as your nose gets even slightly close to the glass you get a humungous burst of tropical fruits: mango, pineapple, papaya. Smells like heaven to me!

T: Juicy hops lathered in tropical fruit flavors. Taste is pretty similar to the nose. Finish is slightly malty, but not overpowering. Not cloyingly sweet like some DIPAs.

M: Just the right amount of bitterness. Amazingly refreshing finish.

O: This is one of the best DIPAs I've ever had. Founder's never disappoints! (603 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This is one of those double ipa's that is so drinkable it's scary, would love to try the barrel aged version of it. The aroma and taste on this one match up perfectly.only picked up a single, now wishing I had just bought the 4-pack. Founders has never really disappointed me and they still haven't. (299 characters)

Bottled 6-Jun-2014, Drank 9-Sep-2014

Aroma (11/12) - A bit of caramel malt notes up front accompanied by a huge burst of hop aroma. Mostly centered around orange/tangerine aromas but a definite bit a floral and grassy aromas too. No additional perceived esters may be a slight alcohol/solvent aroma to this.

Appearance (3/3) - Pours a light copper with a thick white head that lingers on the top of the beer for as long as I'm writing this review. Very dense almost Belgian-type head to this one and there is some lacing as it goes down. Brilliantly clear.

Flavor (17/20) - Amazing balance of malts and hops here--the hops are prominent and have a wide range of complex flavors including orange citrus/pith, floral, spicy (perhaps phenolic?) notes. The malt is still playing an important role in this beer by not letting the hops get too aggressive.

Mouthfeel (5/5) - Finished smooth without much dryness or bitterness lingering on the palette. Perhaps the most underrated part of this beer is the creaminess which really makes you want to keep drinking this and savor every sip.

Overall (8/10) - An excellent beer that I would happily purchase again when it's available in season. Not as bitter and hop-centric as some of the bigger IPA names out there but I'm completely fine with that--this is well balanced and the flavors are complex enough to keep you guessing. (1,379 characters)

Appearance-
Burnt copper, with a thin head.

Smell-
Oh my goodness, like a good IPA should. The Imperial part stands out at the edge of the smell, a slight buttery vanilla note.

Taste-
These does exactly what a good double/Imperial IPA should. I has the sweet thick flavor, but does not miss out on the hop bitterness, especially the end. The end is a non-lasting bitter that cleans the palate, and does not linger.

Mouthfeel-
I was expecting the thickness, but the carbonation seems really demure.

Overall-
Some brewing companies are just known for doing a great to superb job on all their beers, and Founders is definitely one of those rare few. This is a deadly Imperial IPA, because it is so smooth and delicious. (720 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance-Bright yellow, cloudy. Off White 1 finger head. Nice lacing.

Smell-Pineapples, Mangos, Tangerines. Nice boquet of floral and piney hops. In your face, beautiful aroma, comparable to Pliny.

Taste-Big bitterness upfront. Followed by tropical fruits, very juicy. Finish is sweet with some light bitterness. Floral. IBUs are apparent from start to finish. Very nice flavors, extremely balanced.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied, Low carbonation. Drinkable.

Overall-Excellent IIPA, glad I have more in the fridge and will probably drink another right now. Up there with Pliny, Ghandi Bot, Maharaja and others. West Coast style IPA with all the tropical fruits. Oh ya, and great artwork. Founders needs to come to Texas! (720 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured Double Trouble in to a pint glass.

A - The hazy orange beer looks beautiful for a Imperial IPA. It has a small half finger of head with a aggressive pour.

S - First thing I get is grapefruit, some citrus, orange. The hops comes through with a little pine as well.

T - Wow, a lot going on here. It has some bitter hops, grapefruit again, malt sweetness in there to really balance this beer beautifully. Obviously there is some strong hop character with pine. Very nicely done here.

M - This is where this beer shines, its nice and smooth with quite a bit of body to it. I would put it somewhere in the medium range, it just coats your mouth really nice for a IPA. Lovely stuff here my friend.

O - Just another solid offering from Founders. Enjoy! Cheers! (765 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Extremely light golden color. Slightly hazy but vibrant overall. One finger head with aggressive pour.

S: Beautiful, one of the best aromas I've ever gotten. Load of astringent fruity hops. Grapefruit, Papaya, Prune juice.

T: the taste matches the smell, except even more fruit. Biting bitterness all the way through, but especially on the back. It lingers on the tongue for quite a bit even thought it's not a "syrupy" hop presence. Reminds me of the same hop profile as 'sucks' except bigger and better. Hardly any malt.

M: Medium to thick-- Slick and oily at first, breaks down into slightly sticky lingering bitterness, near perfect.

O: My new favourite IPA-- severely underrated. I put this above Hopslam in a heartbeat. (732 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%

I grabbed my recent four-pack straight from Founder's. A steal at 10 bucks.

Appearance- A deep straw color capped with a thin, slight film. Lacing was minimal, but present.

Smell- Awesome burst of citrus hops, with just a touch of sweet malts.

Taste- Let's say the 86 IBUs make themselves present, which is a good thing. Again, citrus hops were present, backed with full bodied malts.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The flavors engulfed my palate in a lightly carbonated manner. Even though this is packing a 9.4%, I could easily take on three or four in a session.

I'm going to be pretty sad when this stuff is all gone. Hopefully, we'll see it next year. (656 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle dated 2/1/2010 (12 days old), poured into a standard curved rim pint glass. This has always been one of my favorite beers, brewed by one of my favorite breweries, so I'm excited to see how it stands up to a formal review.

A: Pours a light golden color with a thick forthy white head on top that takes that "pancake batter" appearance towards the middle that I like so much.

S: Huge nose of grapefruit and sweetness, evident as it pours out of the glass before you even press it to your nose for a sniff.

T: Pure, smooth, hoppy bitterness. This beer was built to showcase the hops. It's light in the mouth, the hops come in early and stay til the finish. I pick up maybe a hint of apricot and sweet tangerine, but it's mostly grapefruit with a touch of malt sweetness to give the bitterness some balance. And the bitterness is there, for sure. Dominanting, particularly on the finish.

M: Light bubbly with good carbonation, this beer is built to showcase the hops.

D: This is a great beer. It smells great, it tastes great, and it's quite drinkable. One of my favs. I'm docking it just a *touch* on drinkability because of the high alcohol content and presence in the flavor. Hop heads, especially those who like those bitey-west-coast style IPAs, will enjoy this one. (1,279 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz bottle into a tumbler glass.

No date on bottle but assume its fresh.

A- pours a cloudy straw yellow with a thin less than a finger white head. Small splotches of sticky lacking on the side of the glass and some really nice alcohol feet as well.

S- Really nice strong earthy and grassy hops up front with some slight citrus in there. Slight alcohol in there and a nice spice aroma in there as well.

T- Awww ya. Just like the aroma, really bitter earthy hops that give off flavors of pine, grass, and resin. Also some nice citrus and fruit notes in the background.

M- medium bodied with moderate coronation and a nice chalky, bitter, and dry finish.

Overall a really solid and brutal dipa.

Skal! (712 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Good old Founders. They seem to always to live up to their expectations for me. In this case, I'm trying out their Double Trouble DIPA. Haven't heard much about this one, but I love the bottle art - an optical illusion of sorts, with two faces stacked on top of each other. That's a good start in my mind.

A: Shiny golden body; a bit murkier than I expected. Looks heavy for a DIPA. I like that. And, like most Founders I've tried, there's a relatively thin head. Would have liked more in that regard, but it might turn out to help the feel.

S: Intense, piney hops. Hardly a single note gets past the spicy intensity of the bitterness. What I mainly take from the nose is a light feeling of wholesome freshness from the hops.

T: A nice, farm-style grouping of hops dominate the palate, as well. Within that, there's the light sweetness of cherry/strawberry preserves. Grassy/earthy finish. The hops don't stick with you for long afterward, making room for more blends to emerge from the body: pine and herb, pear and apricot, subtle booze. This, I feel, is the defining distinction with this brew: there isn't that lingering taste of hops that overwhelms the palate, distorting the flavor of the subsequent second, third, fourth, etc. drinks. This is the problem with some other extra-hoppy PA's, and Founders handled it perfectly.

M: There is a somewhat reduced carbonation. In my opinion, it gives it a more conditioned/aged feel. Founders takes the risk of trying to make this beer seem more mature, and it works in their favor. Impressive.

O: This is a wonderful example of the IPA/DIPA style, and Founders really shows mature taste and discretion in brewing it in their own way. Instead of just showcasing a super hoppy creation, they throw down the gauntlet for Pale Ale FLAVOR. Genuine and memorable - this beer is damn good. (1,837 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A: A pale and cloudy golden color with a small head. Nice fine lacing is left around the glass as you down this one.

S: Strong, hoppy and piney aroma.

T: An excellent hoppy flavor. Citrisy grapefruit with piney overtones. A lasting flavor that satisfies the yearn for a distinct IPA.

M: A good yet not overpowing hops bite. Not overly bitter.

D: An excellent IPA and very drinkable. Careful though as the ABV is high and subtle. A nice one to settle down to in the evening. (478 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz bottle with a date of 12/08/10 so this should be very fresh.

A: Pours a pretty clear and clean comforting yellow to orange color. The head dissipated very quickly due to the high alcohol. Carbonation streaming up from the center of the snifter. Lacing on the sides of the glass sticking, again from the high alcohol.
I've heard a lot about this beer and from the looks of the pour, I cant wait to get into it.

S: Wow, this is not the hop bomb I thought it would be. Right away grapefruit and a slight bit of orange hits me. The more it warms pineapple peaks through. There seems to be a tad of pine underneath but there is no west coast hops blowing out of the glass. I don't really get a strong alcohol smell to this, just very fruitful.

T: The citrus that I smelled is what hits right away. The carbonation cleans the mouth and leads to the back end of a nice hop finish. I don't get the big hops as some of the others. this is a very balanced DIPA.

M: Very smooth. When looking at this beer as I poured it,I noticed it has a smooth look to it. The mouth-feel seems to compliment those thoughts as its seems light but in silky way.

D: I'm really enjoying this. Very balanced. This is a dangerously drinkable IPA with no trace of alcohol despite the 9.4 abv. Those IPA folks out there expecting or wanting the "HopBomb" should look elsewhere. There is a real delicateness to this IPA and one that I will seek out for now on. (1,437 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a hotel rocks tumbler....all I got.

A: Glowing, golden nearly translucent hue. minimal lacing with minor legs.

S: Pineapple and tropical fruit with no overroasted maltiness to intrude. Yeast is for function only and there's a back-white-peppery spiciness to the quaff.

T: Follows nose, not overly obnoxious in any way. Balanced tropical notes with spicy yeast and carbonation lends to a perfect, lively quaff. Hides ABV well.

M: impossibly smooth and slightly dry start leads to an semi-creamy dry finish. Side of tongue is puckery and sweet tropical fruit notes start peeking in on swallow finish.

O: Insanely good. Beats out many other neo-hopped DIPA...this is a cut above. (694 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Maudite snifter. Thanks to Ohio HopDevil for the generous extra!

A - Pours clear with a medium/deep golden amber color. Creamy, two finger whitish head that settles on top of the beer after a couple of moments. Moderate lacing along the sides of the glass.

S - Hops, more hops (oh ya!) and grapefruit citrus aromas dominate the initial nose. Piney notes poking through upon further examination.

T - Luscious, bitter burst of hop complemented with cirtrusy (grapefruit, orange) flavor. Subddued maltiness (which I like) complemented by just a tad of alcohol in the finish. I like it when I feel that little burn on the end that let's you know you're drinking a big-boy beer!

M - Medium bodied with a generous level of carbonation.

D - Despite the relatively high abv, I could drink this stuff all night. I'm a west coast IPA/DIPA kind of guy and this beer can proudly stand right up there with the best from out our way.

Overall: Wish this beer was distributed out west...it would definitely be one of my go-to choices. Guess I'll just have to keep my bro Ohio Hop Devil happy so he'll send me some next year! (1,148 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Oh yes! Poured a dark orange thickness and just smelled of pure, floral hops. A solid off white head of which some stuck around awhile. The taste was amazing--a powerful hop sweet/bitter combo that finished as strong as it started. It was thick and almost chewable.. mmmm! Darn decently drinkable for being as thick and strong as it was too. Founders done good again! (367 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to whatever MN BA that posted this little gem was available in Hudson, WI. I ran over the next day to grab a six pack; love me a good DIPA, & have enjoyed almost all of Founder's brews to date, so what's not to like.

Poured into my new Dunedin pint glass, the beer is clearer than most IPAs, innocent enough looking brew. Well...I physically staggered when I stuck my nose in DT while walking out of the kitchen, I'm glad I didn't spill any. Holy crap. The hops are coming off this thing in a hurricane-strength storm surge. My inner hop-head is yowling at me to drink it. DROP THE KEYBOARD, MORON, TAKE A DRINK.

This is good.

The first sip is such a riot of hoppyness that it just about sears the top of my mouth...you know, like when you have too many sweets? That's what I'm getting. The second & third sips follow close behind. C'mon, geez, where's the balance? Nowhere to be found. Good! Bring your hops to the party, DIPA, & leave them nasty malts behind.

My tummy is warming after about 2 oz. My nose is numb. My mouth is going numb. Maybe they should sell this in those tiny liquor bottles, because after that I'm already starting to long for that first blast to the head.

Truly a top-shelf beer & a first class DIPA. These are folks who know that you CAN'T PUT TOO MANY HOPS IN DIPA. Kudos to them! (1,324 characters)

12 oz stubby- a pop top!

Appearance: Just a slight haze to this yellowish gold beer. White head fades into some spotty dollops. Lacing fades in sheets, but leaves only spots.

Smell: Sweet citrus, bitter grapefruit, and pine. Big, big hops aroma. I could smell this all day.

Taste: What an awesome hops punch. Such huge flavor-- grapefruit, juicy fruit, and pine sap. There's not a lot of supporting malt flavor or sweetness, but its not all that bitter. A great example of hops flavor over bitterness, and the fact that you don't have to "balance" everything.

Mouthfeel: This is a full bodied, sticky, resiny DIPA. Just great.

Drinkability: What a great beer. Thanks to Founders for selling this in 12 oz bottles for $10 a four pack instead of $10 for a corked, foiled 22. (777 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A- poured into a tulip glass- virtually headless- an attractive and relatively peaceful gold.

S- as expected, a strong punch; but not at all overwhelming- flowers and citrus perfume- the 9.4% abv makes itself known for sure...

T- taste in line with aroma. what you smell is what you get- bitter hop to start, citrus, alcohol, back to hops. an underlining piney base throughout.

M- feels like an ipa; starts sharp - ends with a slight creamy feel on the back of the tongue.

D - a fun and surprisingly easy drink for a double. be careful! (541 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

This is a stellar DIPA! The mouthfeel is exceptional and the hop aroma and flavor come through with a strong malt backbone to back it up.

A-It pours a hazy copper color with a sticky 2 fingers of head.
S- Tropical fruit and citrus. Sweetness from malt.
T- Citrus flavors from the hops foremost with some malt in the background, just how I like it.
M- unreal...Founders makes beers with the best mouthfeel hands down.
Over- Excellent DIPA, one of my favs. (455 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Hazy golden pour with thin, clingy white top. Grapefruit nose with fresh bread too . Citrus hops in flavor, perfectly balanced with malt in the end. Smoothest finish is remarkable. No trace of alcohol in such a big brew. Wish it was slightly more aromatic. (256 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Wow, was absolutely blown away by this beer. Wonderful appearance (wonderful color and not nearly as cloudy or heavy as most other doubles) and pleasant smell upon pouring.

The taste, though, it what really got me. Wonderful hoppy complexion without going overboard, and, for me, by far the most drinkable of any double I have had.

Of the roughly 20 double/imperial IPA's i've had I would not hesitate to say this is the most enjoyable. (439 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottle date at all, in fact none of the founders beers do!
(A)- Poured a light yellow/orange with lots of particles within (its not sediment). It had a great 2+ finger off white head that took a few minutes until it went down to a light layer of bubbles. Some lacing present

(S)- Strong pine,orange,pineapple,and lemon aromas with a touch of spice. The hops are definitely prevalent, but its also got a tiny twang of malt in the background. Its even a tad creamy like vanilla? no, more like a cream soda!

(T)- Hops 'o plenty in this brew! Yet it has a lemon pie accent with orange peel. The malts really show well on the finish, the hops in the beginning, and some refreshing and sweet fruit flavors in the middle. Nice complexities.

(M)- Lots of hops present that dries out the mouth, but once you swallow the fresh fruit and malty finish really shines. Great balance!

(D)- At 9.4%, this is a heavy hitter for sure! However, it has an awesome dry, yet refreshing and sweet combination that is balanced really well! A superb example why IPAs / DIPAs are one of my more favorite summer beers currently. (1,152 characters)

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company