Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Reviews: 1,643 | Hads: 6,317
4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Good old Founders. They seem to always to live up to their expectations for me. In this case, I'm trying out their Double Trouble DIPA. Haven't heard much about this one, but I love the bottle art - an optical illusion of sorts, with two faces stacked on top of each other. That's a good start in my mind.

A: Shiny golden body; a bit murkier than I expected. Looks heavy for a DIPA. I like that. And, like most Founders I've tried, there's a relatively thin head. Would have liked more in that regard, but it might turn out to help the feel.

S: Intense, piney hops. Hardly a single note gets past the spicy intensity of the bitterness. What I mainly take from the nose is a light feeling of wholesome freshness from the hops.

T: A nice, farm-style grouping of hops dominate the palate, as well. Within that, there's the light sweetness of cherry/strawberry preserves. Grassy/earthy finish. The hops don't stick with you for long afterward, making room for more blends to emerge from the body: pine and herb, pear and apricot, subtle booze. This, I feel, is the defining distinction with this brew: there isn't that lingering taste of hops that overwhelms the palate, distorting the flavor of the subsequent second, third, fourth, etc. drinks. This is the problem with some other extra-hoppy PA's, and Founders handled it perfectly.

M: There is a somewhat reduced carbonation. In my opinion, it gives it a more conditioned/aged feel. Founders takes the risk of trying to make this beer seem more mature, and it works in their favor. Impressive.

O: This is a wonderful example of the IPA/DIPA style, and Founders really shows mature taste and discretion in brewing it in their own way. Instead of just showcasing a super hoppy creation, they throw down the gauntlet for Pale Ale FLAVOR. Genuine and memorable - this beer is damn good.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A: A pale and cloudy golden color with a small head. Nice fine lacing is left around the glass as you down this one.

S: Strong, hoppy and piney aroma.

T: An excellent hoppy flavor. Citrisy grapefruit with piney overtones. A lasting flavor that satisfies the yearn for a distinct IPA.

M: A good yet not overpowing hops bite. Not overly bitter.

D: An excellent IPA and very drinkable. Careful though as the ABV is high and subtle. A nice one to settle down to in the evening.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz bottle with a date of 12/08/10 so this should be very fresh.

A: Pours a pretty clear and clean comforting yellow to orange color. The head dissipated very quickly due to the high alcohol. Carbonation streaming up from the center of the snifter. Lacing on the sides of the glass sticking, again from the high alcohol.
I've heard a lot about this beer and from the looks of the pour, I cant wait to get into it.

S: Wow, this is not the hop bomb I thought it would be. Right away grapefruit and a slight bit of orange hits me. The more it warms pineapple peaks through. There seems to be a tad of pine underneath but there is no west coast hops blowing out of the glass. I don't really get a strong alcohol smell to this, just very fruitful.

T: The citrus that I smelled is what hits right away. The carbonation cleans the mouth and leads to the back end of a nice hop finish. I don't get the big hops as some of the others. this is a very balanced DIPA.

M: Very smooth. When looking at this beer as I poured it,I noticed it has a smooth look to it. The mouth-feel seems to compliment those thoughts as its seems light but in silky way.

D: I'm really enjoying this. Very balanced. This is a dangerously drinkable IPA with no trace of alcohol despite the 9.4 abv. Those IPA folks out there expecting or wanting the "HopBomb" should look elsewhere. There is a real delicateness to this IPA and one that I will seek out for now on.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a hotel rocks tumbler....all I got.

A: Glowing, golden nearly translucent hue. minimal lacing with minor legs.

S: Pineapple and tropical fruit with no overroasted maltiness to intrude. Yeast is for function only and there's a back-white-peppery spiciness to the quaff.

T: Follows nose, not overly obnoxious in any way. Balanced tropical notes with spicy yeast and carbonation lends to a perfect, lively quaff. Hides ABV well.

M: impossibly smooth and slightly dry start leads to an semi-creamy dry finish. Side of tongue is puckery and sweet tropical fruit notes start peeking in on swallow finish.

O: Insanely good. Beats out many other neo-hopped DIPA...this is a cut above.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Maudite snifter. Thanks to Ohio HopDevil for the generous extra!

A - Pours clear with a medium/deep golden amber color. Creamy, two finger whitish head that settles on top of the beer after a couple of moments. Moderate lacing along the sides of the glass.

S - Hops, more hops (oh ya!) and grapefruit citrus aromas dominate the initial nose. Piney notes poking through upon further examination.

T - Luscious, bitter burst of hop complemented with cirtrusy (grapefruit, orange) flavor. Subddued maltiness (which I like) complemented by just a tad of alcohol in the finish. I like it when I feel that little burn on the end that let's you know you're drinking a big-boy beer!

M - Medium bodied with a generous level of carbonation.

D - Despite the relatively high abv, I could drink this stuff all night. I'm a west coast IPA/DIPA kind of guy and this beer can proudly stand right up there with the best from out our way.

Overall: Wish this beer was distributed out west...it would definitely be one of my go-to choices. Guess I'll just have to keep my bro Ohio Hop Devil happy so he'll send me some next year!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Oh yes! Poured a dark orange thickness and just smelled of pure, floral hops. A solid off white head of which some stuck around awhile. The taste was amazing--a powerful hop sweet/bitter combo that finished as strong as it started. It was thick and almost chewable.. mmmm! Darn decently drinkable for being as thick and strong as it was too. Founders done good again!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to whatever MN BA that posted this little gem was available in Hudson, WI. I ran over the next day to grab a six pack; love me a good DIPA, & have enjoyed almost all of Founder's brews to date, so what's not to like.

Poured into my new Dunedin pint glass, the beer is clearer than most IPAs, innocent enough looking brew. Well...I physically staggered when I stuck my nose in DT while walking out of the kitchen, I'm glad I didn't spill any. Holy crap. The hops are coming off this thing in a hurricane-strength storm surge. My inner hop-head is yowling at me to drink it. DROP THE KEYBOARD, MORON, TAKE A DRINK.

This is good.

The first sip is such a riot of hoppyness that it just about sears the top of my mouth...you know, like when you have too many sweets? That's what I'm getting. The second & third sips follow close behind. C'mon, geez, where's the balance? Nowhere to be found. Good! Bring your hops to the party, DIPA, & leave them nasty malts behind.

My tummy is warming after about 2 oz. My nose is numb. My mouth is going numb. Maybe they should sell this in those tiny liquor bottles, because after that I'm already starting to long for that first blast to the head.

Truly a top-shelf beer & a first class DIPA. These are folks who know that you CAN'T PUT TOO MANY HOPS IN DIPA. Kudos to them!

12 oz stubby- a pop top!

Appearance: Just a slight haze to this yellowish gold beer. White head fades into some spotty dollops. Lacing fades in sheets, but leaves only spots.

Smell: Sweet citrus, bitter grapefruit, and pine. Big, big hops aroma. I could smell this all day.

Taste: What an awesome hops punch. Such huge flavor-- grapefruit, juicy fruit, and pine sap. There's not a lot of supporting malt flavor or sweetness, but its not all that bitter. A great example of hops flavor over bitterness, and the fact that you don't have to "balance" everything.

Mouthfeel: This is a full bodied, sticky, resiny DIPA. Just great.

Drinkability: What a great beer. Thanks to Founders for selling this in 12 oz bottles for $10 a four pack instead of $10 for a corked, foiled 22.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A- poured into a tulip glass- virtually headless- an attractive and relatively peaceful gold.

S- as expected, a strong punch; but not at all overwhelming- flowers and citrus perfume- the 9.4% abv makes itself known for sure...

T- taste in line with aroma. what you smell is what you get- bitter hop to start, citrus, alcohol, back to hops. an underlining piney base throughout.

M- feels like an ipa; starts sharp - ends with a slight creamy feel on the back of the tongue.

D - a fun and surprisingly easy drink for a double. be careful!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

This is a stellar DIPA! The mouthfeel is exceptional and the hop aroma and flavor come through with a strong malt backbone to back it up.

A-It pours a hazy copper color with a sticky 2 fingers of head.
S- Tropical fruit and citrus. Sweetness from malt.
T- Citrus flavors from the hops foremost with some malt in the background, just how I like it.
M- unreal...Founders makes beers with the best mouthfeel hands down.
Over- Excellent DIPA, one of my favs.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Hazy golden pour with thin, clingy white top. Grapefruit nose with fresh bread too . Citrus hops in flavor, perfectly balanced with malt in the end. Smoothest finish is remarkable. No trace of alcohol in such a big brew. Wish it was slightly more aromatic.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Wow, was absolutely blown away by this beer. Wonderful appearance (wonderful color and not nearly as cloudy or heavy as most other doubles) and pleasant smell upon pouring.

The taste, though, it what really got me. Wonderful hoppy complexion without going overboard, and, for me, by far the most drinkable of any double I have had.

Of the roughly 20 double/imperial IPA's i've had I would not hesitate to say this is the most enjoyable.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottle date at all, in fact none of the founders beers do!
(A)- Poured a light yellow/orange with lots of particles within (its not sediment). It had a great 2+ finger off white head that took a few minutes until it went down to a light layer of bubbles. Some lacing present

(S)- Strong pine,orange,pineapple,and lemon aromas with a touch of spice. The hops are definitely prevalent, but its also got a tiny twang of malt in the background. Its even a tad creamy like vanilla? no, more like a cream soda!

(T)- Hops 'o plenty in this brew! Yet it has a lemon pie accent with orange peel. The malts really show well on the finish, the hops in the beginning, and some refreshing and sweet fruit flavors in the middle. Nice complexities.

(M)- Lots of hops present that dries out the mouth, but once you swallow the fresh fruit and malty finish really shines. Great balance!

(D)- At 9.4%, this is a heavy hitter for sure! However, it has an awesome dry, yet refreshing and sweet combination that is balanced really well! A superb example why IPAs / DIPAs are one of my more favorite summer beers currently.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I first opened the bottle, I was greeted with a scent of semi-sweet pine and pineapple, a very nice start.

Appearance - Poured a 1-2 finger head, bright white, dissipating to a thin white cap in a minute. Color is a slightly hazy bright yellow-orange, really a beautiful color. My first 2 sips leave their own individual sticky white lacy rings...nice!

Smell - The nose is a strong pine and pineapple scent, a slight sweetness, I can't wait any longer...

Taste - Oooooh! The nose starts you off with the piney hops and pineapple, and the first taste is semi-sweet pineapple juice & some malt sweetness up front. The sweetness continues just past the center of the tongue, then fades quickly to a wonderful piney hop bite as it reaches the back of the tongue, accentuated by the tingle of bubbles - followed by a sharp, hoppy, dry pine bite at the end...and then a wonderful alcohol warmth starts in the back of the mouth, and then forward as you exhale. Lingering taste is big hops and some grapefruit rind. Not boozy in the least, in fact, the 9.4% ABV is hidden so well, it is only noticeable in the slowly building warmth after each sip is finished.

Mouthfeel - This DIPA is really smooth! The carbonation is perfect - really small bubbles, tingly, effervescent, a nice compliment during the transition from semi-sweet pineapple to blissful bitter hops to grapefruit rind. But be careful, the almost unnoticeable high ABV makes it easy to throw back a bottle (or two) quickly...and then you realize that the name Double Trouble is VERY appropriate :)

Overall - This is really a great DIPA. Wow - the malt sweetness becomes more pronounced as it warms. I wish you could see my glass right now, I've got about 10 well defined lace rings on my glass, some of the best lacing I've ever seen. This perfect blend of pineapple malty sweetness followed by a very sharp, but pleasant resinous hops, followed by a wonderful alcohol warmth and satisfied smile means that I'll be purchasing lots of Double Trouble in the future. (per the Founders website, this is seasonal, and available Jan thru May - would love to know what an aged one tastes like!) I really like DIPA's, and this is a Very Fine example - highly recommend!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes from phone. 12 oz. bottle dated June 13th 2014, tasted September 1st, 2014. Pours a surprisingly light gold with a slight touch of amber. Solid finger of off-white head which stays for about a minute or so. Not quite hazy, but a bit of extremely fine pieces of sediment spread throughout the beer when held to the light. Sticky but thin lacing.

Aroma is massively hoppy, as to be expected. Tropical and citrus fruits mingle beautifully with a piney, resiny, and slightly floral bouquet of hops. Grapefruit and pineapple with a touch of lemony zing. Fresh-cut grass. Slightly bready with a touch of DMS indicating some pilsner malts, which would explain the surprisingly pale color. Hint of straw. Slightly spicy phenols.

Flavor follows the nose, with the grassy and piney bitterness making gains and matching the juicy and fruity flavors. Surprisingly balanced for the style and the light malt base initially threw me off a little. Alcoholic sweetness that isn't too much combines with a slightly sweet but subtle malt base. Hops are still kicking with a just-bitter-enough finish.

Medium bodied and reasonably carbonated. This doesn't taste and especially doesn't feel like a 9.4% beast, but it is. Warm but crisp. The bitter finish is dry but doesn't cross the line into astringency.

Stylistically, I'm not sure this is a perfect DIPA. With that said, this is a phenomenally tasty beer. Extremely well-balanced in every way and a few surprises thrown in. Another winner from Founder's.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Not that impressive on the head but that's the only not so great thing I've got to say about this beer. Nice golden straw color. Great taste and very smooth, light aftertaste of alcohol but an excellent drink.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a very slightly murky honey color. The bright white head rises and leaves some really thick lace along the glass. The head looks great.

S-Vibrant tropical fruitiness. Extremely rich and juicy nose. Smells fresh and natural. Great hop barrage. I love the spectrum of hops this beer brings out in the aroma. You just want to stick your nose in it.

T-This beer tastes excellent. Ripe tangerine and grapefruit wallops your taste buds. The beers is oily and resinous but maintains those exceptional fruity flavors. This beer is very hop forward. Absolutely love those fruity hops. Exceeds my expectations

M-Bold and thick mouthfeel. Absolutely awesome. Resiny and sticky. One pof the many highlights of the beer.

O/D-Better than I expected. Absolutely love this one, wish I could have it fresh all the time. One of my favorite Doubles I have had. Oh so drinkable despite the high ABV. The hops are showcased masterfully here. Needs to be fresh to be fully appreciated. Great beer, no wonder why its talked about so much. Once again, Founders goes for the win.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

A - pours a slightly hazy golden hue with a half thumb of head that subsides fairly quickly. Small amount of head remains throughout and leave a wonderful lacing on the glass.

S - a definite scent of citrus is the most overpowering sensation however, there seams to be a slightly sour scent too it. also has some notes of some sort of herb that i cant quite put my finger on.

T - amazing complexity, the first sensation is the bitterness of the dry hops, this is quickly followed the sour of some sort of citrus, likely oranges. The next sensation leads to some sort of herb or combination of herbs. the finish is a combination of the bitterness of the hops and the sweetness of the malt, neither of which is overpowering.

M - good mouth-feel, extremely light although it has a slightly milky consistency which I generally don't enjoy

D - IPA fans would love this, others should be warned. It is extremely hoppy and is not for the faint of heart. High alcohol content is noticeable but not overpowering.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a bright golden orange with a modest, fine foam. Nose is HUGE of big citrus hops, among some of the most I've ever experienced. Mouthfeel is pretty thick, although shy of syrupy--any more so and I think it would be a bit much (but it's not). Big bodied, and big citrus flavor with hints of pine, spice, but tons of grapefruit. Very bitter finish in a really happy way. BIG double IPA but super drinkable as far as such a big double IPA can be. This is a really awesome beer. Go Michigan brew!

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Reviewed from notes on 7/7/10.

A: The color is gold with a touch of orange. A slight head burns off rapidly, leaving a murky white film on top of the beer. The lacing is interesting, like beads and strings of sweat that stick to a body on a hot and muggy Michigan day.

S: A blend of super fresh tropical fruit- mango, papaya, pineapple, honeydew melon- and citrus- orange and grapefruit- leap out of this brew and into my nose. There is a slight piney hop fragrance with just a touch of sweet malt that complement the off-the-charts fruity hop profile. This is an exceptional, potent, original smell.

T: Heavier on the bitter grapefruit, pine, resin, and earthy hop flavors than I picked up from the smell. Those tropical fruits are still quite prevalent, but the bitter balance lends a nice complexity to this brew. The malt and yeast lend just enough presence to this aggressive hop profile to present a truly delicious double IPA. Quite sweet and quite bitter at the same time. Remarkable.

M: The body is a little on the thin side, because the malt bill is definitely a backseat passenger on this beer's joyride. I adore the bitter hop profile that is landing on the sides of my palate.

D: For a hophead such as myself, this is quite drinkable. There really is not any alcohol detectable and the sweet tropical fruit/bitter hop counterpoint is quite mind-expanding. I have had this beer several times and I have never been quite this impressed with its complexity and craftsmanship. It is by far the best double I have had in awhile. Congratulations, Founders. I am starting to think that if I had to choose on brewery from which to drink beer from for the rest of my life, the gem in Grand Rapids would be the one.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Served from a bottle, very fresh.

Appears very light colored starting with a nice head that remains in thin form throughout the consumption. Little bit of lacing on the glass.

Smells fucking awesome. Round and fruity, not sharp pungency at all. Very fresh hop smell coming from this beer.

Tastes initially much like it smells. Fruity with a nice, but not overbearing bitterness coming through rather quickly. The hopping on this beer is probably very much made up of late additions.

Mouthfeel very resinous, lingering fruitiness on the tongue. Not a thick bodied beer, but not thin either. A nice middle ground.

Overall a great example of the style. Really showcases the hops, very little malt flavor to be found. At the same time very drinkeable and not overly bitter. Highly recommended for fans of a lighter colored hop focused double. How does it compare to Hopslam? How the fuck should i know, i didnt get to the store early enough in the day and probably shouldn't be spending $20+ dollars on a sixer anyway.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured chilled into an oversized tulip glass.

Appearance: Beautiful golden amber color, two fingers of head which disappeared a tad quicker than I would have liked.

Smell: Hops. Lots of them. A truly enticing aroma.

Taste: Intense; a flavor to be reckoned with. Much as I love the powerful hop flavor, I would have appreciated a tad more malt flavor to balance it out.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery, nice carbonation.

Overall: Double Trouble brings a hop hammer down on the palate, a very good DIPA.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

As I poured the 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass, I immediately noticed a lack of carbonation. After pouring briskly, it produced a 1 finger head of off white foam that receded very quickly leaving a ring and some islands of foam. Throughout, it produced nice lacing. It was a golden yellow/orange with straw colored highlights.

The smell was off the charts. I literally said, "Wow" as I brought it to my nose. It was a very fragrant apricot, honeysuckle, maybe some tart notes of grapefruit and pineapple, but mostly sweet ripe fruits and some floral like the honeysuckle and jasmine. Awesome. Reminded me somewhat of a muscat desert wine.

When I put it in my mouth, the hops were front and center and dominated the flavor profile. The apricot, honeysuckle, and others were all readily evident under the layer of piney hops.

It was well balanced, medium bodied, and full of flavor. Felt good in the mouth. I will definitely look for more of this. Outstanding.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

A - pale straw, impressive tight head, lingers pretty well for such high ABV, dissipates to lacing eventually

S - awesome, pineapple, grapefruit, a little caramel, a whiff of peach, a touch of pine, very fruity, super enticing

T - a little caramel sweetness but mainly hops, lemon zest, a lot of grapefruit, pine in the finish, awfully bitter at the end with warming alcohol

M - surprisingly light in the body, combined with all the citrus would pair really well with fish, carbonation moderate

D - goes down way easier than it should, good thing it's expensive or I could overindulge on this one. Excellent offering.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Pouring this beer into a Duvel glass yields a disappointingly small amount of head, but there is lots of lacing present. Lots of lacing is present.

The smell is very enticing sweet notes of melon and honey combined with notes of pine and hops.

Malty sweetness and floral grapefruit make for a complex flavor. A bit of burn on the back of the tongue turns into a lively finish of hops that hits the whole tongue and is followed by a smokiness reminiscent of a good bread crust.

The name double trouble is quite apt because the double IPA leads to a high ABV that is disguised by a high sweetness that makes this quite dangerously easy to drink en masse.

Overall, a great summery IPA.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company