Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Reviews: 1,615 | Hads: 6,109
4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

A - pale straw, impressive tight head, lingers pretty well for such high ABV, dissipates to lacing eventually

S - awesome, pineapple, grapefruit, a little caramel, a whiff of peach, a touch of pine, very fruity, super enticing

T - a little caramel sweetness but mainly hops, lemon zest, a lot of grapefruit, pine in the finish, awfully bitter at the end with warming alcohol

M - surprisingly light in the body, combined with all the citrus would pair really well with fish, carbonation moderate

D - goes down way easier than it should, good thing it's expensive or I could overindulge on this one. Excellent offering. (621 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Pouring this beer into a Duvel glass yields a disappointingly small amount of head, but there is lots of lacing present. Lots of lacing is present.

The smell is very enticing sweet notes of melon and honey combined with notes of pine and hops.

Malty sweetness and floral grapefruit make for a complex flavor. A bit of burn on the back of the tongue turns into a lively finish of hops that hits the whole tongue and is followed by a smokiness reminiscent of a good bread crust.

The name double trouble is quite apt because the double IPA leads to a high ABV that is disguised by a high sweetness that makes this quite dangerously easy to drink en masse.

Overall, a great summery IPA. (689 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a pint glass

A-clear, 1/4 inch head, some bubbling, golden color

S-amazing, aroma exploded from bottle upon opening, lots of juicy citrus fruits, mango, gratefruit, pineapple

T-similar to the nose, lots of gratefruit, lemon finish, alcohol well hidden

M-crisp and refreshing a bit dry mild carbonation

O-very drinkable especially for its ABV. great beer for a summer day (387 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Note: I am not experienced in rating beers, but this beer reminded me of my favorite beer Plinny the Younger. I bought the Founders at an ABC Liquor, the beer was located on the checkout table, and it appealed to me. I figured $4.50 was a fair price... not cheap but not too expensive. So I tasted the beer and was impressed by its tart and biter features. It was a perfect thing to drink after a long day at work. (414 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Tap Room in Dublin OH during lunch.

Amazing beer. I now know again why this is one of my favorite beers of all time. After being duped a few weeks ago with buying a bottle that was from 2013 and throwing my tastebuds for a twist, this redeemed that experience. Its a huge beer at 9.4%, but the tast is just out of this world. After that year old, I took a sip of this, and was expecting just a mouthful of bitter hops (which would have been fine!), but then there was the more complex aspect. There was something else in there to cut that biterness a little, but didnt take away from the double IPA flavor. There was a fruity aspect in it, after the initial bitter hop taste. Not fruity like a belgian IPA, but fruity like a cross between a peach and a grapefruit that had sex with a hop plant and brought forth a forbidden fruit - a fruit/hop hybrid that we have all grown to love. (893 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

I had this on tap and from a bottle today. There is a difference, tap is noticeably better (for me) even though it's very good from the bottle. If you get the chance, find it on tap. I'm reviewing the tap version. Thank you Matt Capone for getting this on tap.

It was poured into a pint glass with a short head by the bartender in order to fill the glass.

Appearance is a hazy, golden/yellow with a small white head that left what lacing it could.

The smell is wonderful. Very floral, citrusy, pine & resin along with a sweet maltiness.

The taste is very much the same as the smell though a bit more balance with an increased malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little oily, just right.

Drinkability is excellent. Sure, after 3-4 (I am an alcohol lightweight) of these I may not recall my name but who cares?

The main differences I see between the bottle & tap is in the smell & taste, both of which are more intense on tap. I notice the alcohol in the bottle and not at all on tap. More balance on tap for me as well and not as bitter. (1,049 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes

A - Bright copper hue, bronze-ish, lots of soapy lacing, big white foamy head

N - Massive pine cone, honey, soap, hop resin, very fresh tropical fruit like mango, apricot; some orange peel, orange pith.

T/M - Resiny and coating mouthfeel, rib sticking maltiness; more of the hop resin, pine resin, hop bitterness, woody like cedar or fresh oak; some of the citrus hope notes shine through, orange peel, pineapple.

D - Awesome drinkability for a massive Cascade-forward double IPA. I load up when this one comes around. (536 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: a light copper. poured a two finger head that quickly disappeared into a half finger head that lingered.

S: burnt caramel, roasted pineapple, apricots, with a slight herbal quality. a lot of lingering grapefruit. Can't wait to drink!!

T: a tart citrus and grapefruit up front with that sweet malt. then come the hops! not a palate wrecker by any means but wonderful bright tropical fruit flavors with an earthy herbal quality that leads to a semi dry finish that leaves you wanting more. the hops are never too bitter but you definitely know they are there. nice and balanced.

M: i know there is almost 10% abv in here but i dont taste it at all! the mouthfeel is definitely on the lighter side with hardly any carbonation to speak of.

O: I love this beer! its a wonderfully balanced DIPA that hits all of your taste buds. its sweet, dry, a nice acidic quality, easy drinking and full of dank hops. awesome stuff. i think i'd give this a 94 or 95. (957 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap and a few bottles. Fresh 2010.

Pour is slightly darker yellow with white head. Looks like an IPA/DIPA (what else would it look like?)

Smells good. Very good. Citrus, pineapple, grassy, piney, some floral notes, but citrus/pine/grass moreso. Potent.

I love Founders Harvest Ale, and this is that with more hops, grassy bitterness, ABV, thickness, etc. Juicy. Orange peels. Grapefruit. Earthy pine cones. Bites strong on the palate. No subtle or muted flavors here.

Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect for the style. Bitter palate busting bite on the aftertaste rounds out the nearly perfect drinking experience, and distinguishes it from Hopslam's honey sweetness.

Very drinkable, if you really like hops.

Luckily.... (730 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Off-white frothy head swells above a hazy, pineapple yellow-orange body. Smells of pungent grapefruit and sweet aromatics. A smooth, yet lively burst of citrus, grassy hops lead the taste -- finishes with a nice bitterness and tingled taste buds. Medium mouthfeel; hops oils linger on the enamel. One of my favorite imperials, and yet another one that I would never guess was 9.4% As was once said by a great man, "If you call that a beer, I'd rather have another one." (469 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

A hazy golden yellow/orange color with a huge fluffy white head that satys around for a long time,huge amounts of sticky lace all over the insides of my glass. Smells of grass(skunk weed,in a good way)pungent citrus and piney hops with very little malt presence.Flavor at first is ultra sugary/tart grapefruit,oily lemon peel, and pine needles, more bitterness,if you let it warm enough you can detect some of the faint caramel malt tones,and this very faint note of honey. Finish is dry and a little boozy. Medium in both body and carbonation.One of the best growlers of beer ever drank. Super Ultra Good ! (607 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

This bottle courtesy of Wasatch. Thanks John!

It pours(near room temp) a slightly hazy golden yellow with a good 2 finger head of foam. I see some nice lacing here.

The smell is super hop dominated with lots of tropical fruits hitting my nosebuds. After a few more whiffs, I do get some caramel malt sweetness but it's on the faint side.

The taste is yummy and hoppy but not, in my mind, overly bitter. Good for that. Lots of grapefruit and mango tickle my palate but I can definitely taste the malt influence of some nice sweet tones...maybe more than others that have reviewed it. Hey, I'm a hop head at times and a malt head at other times so I'm drinking this brew and yes, it has a wonderful bitterness to it but I also like what the malt is doing here and it has a bigger presence to me than what I notice in others' reviews. Come on folks, give the malt some well deserved credit here! ;^) Ok, so no, it isn't anywhere near perfect balance but it has enough malty goodness to take the edge off of what could have been a DIPA that went over the top with the hops and made your mouth pucker with every sip. It didn't do that to me and it *worked* for me. Good show, Founders. I salute you yet again.

Nice medium mouthfeel with a lowish level of carbonation, it feels very smooth and silky.

Drinkability? The big abv is, what can I say but....very well hidden indeed! Dangerously drinkable so I'm glad I can't get this locally or I'd be in <see name of beer>. Ok, I tell a lie, it would be awesome to have this beer at my beck and call. This is damned delicious and I thank you hugely, John! (1,606 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

After a few glasses of Breakfast Stout I decided to switch it up to close out the night, so I poured a glass of Double Trouble... and at 9.4% abv it was perhaps a poor choice and certainly was my night cap. The name is spot on as I knew I was in trouble from the first sip. Unlike Hopslam or other Double IPA's that balance the large amount of hops with equal amounts of malt to add a touch of sweetness to cut the bitterness, Founders seems to have left that out with this one. It instantly drys the mouth with a bitter puckering that made me feel like I was in one of the old warhead sour gum commercials.

It smells fantastic! All those hops throwing the classic citrus with pineapple and grapefruit tones all followed up with an almost spruce tree like hint of pine. A golden murky yellow almost honey colored with a rich creamy head, it definitely looks the part.

The first thing you notice when it hits your tongue is unabashed hops. Bitter, citrus and pine, it tastes just as it smells with very little malt to balance the insane amount of hops in this beer. A hop heads dream! Medium bodied but still very substantial mouth feel that lingers nicely after each sip leaving your mouth dry and wanting more. With 86 IBUs it ranks right up that at one of the most bitter IPA's, not in the top 100 but it holds its own.

On Tap at Shark Club of Howell, MI (1,359 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I know that I keep saying that I am trying to divest myself of bottles, but when I was over at the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop on Wednesday following a doctor's appointment for swollen ankles, I needed one to fill out a mixed six and amazingly, I have not reviewed this previously.

My aggro pour not only caused a pseudo-cascade which settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention, but it released a lot of esters. So much so that my eyes watered briefly and I even sneezed! In the interim, the head began to fall, leaving sticky acing in its wake. I would need a jackhammer later to remove all of it. Color was reminiscent of the old television show, Solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-quality clarity! This, of course, brought forth the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Croesus and Midas, all clamoring for some of my gelt. I went for a deeper sniff instead and found the nose to be a combination of pine tar and caramel, but in a very nice way. Mouthfeel was dense and heavy, like a dollop on the tongue. It came with a boxer's one-two punch with the fusel alcohol heat softening up my poor, bruised tongue and then the intense pine hops hitting right behind. Holy ...! I was rendered at a loss for words for a moment and it caused me to wonder what kind of havoc its brother, Devil Dancer, might be like. Phew. 86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV, just the way I like to start every day. I know that fresher is better, especially when it comes to hops and this read "Bottled 06/17/2014" and I began to wonder what it might be like aged. Phew. Did I say that already? My eyes were watering, my nose was running and I was beginning to doubt my self-proclaimed hophead status. Finish hit like a belt to the solar plexus and if you have never had the pleasure, try this. It was literally breathtaking. Dry and hot and suddenly, the Zephyr winds could be heard blowing across the Sahara! OMFG. I had better stick to AIPAs in the future. (1,925 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a gold orange with a head that quickly dropped to just a mere skim leaving some nice lacing behind. The smell is extremely interesting, behind the hops it just reeks of fresh peach to me. I kept sniffing the beer throughout my time with it, just because it was so much fun to get that strong of a peach smell from a beer. The taste is hop-forward, tropical with an accent of pine, but mostly tropical. The finish was quite bitter, but in a contradiction, also smooth. I don't know how that gets pulled off, but I enjoyed it very much. It's a little heavy in the mouth, but still very drinkable. In fact, at 9.4% it is dangerously drinkable.
Like a lot of people, I had this beer side-by-side with Hopslam. Even though they are the same style they are very different beers. Hopslam gets a slight edge in my opinion, but I really enjoyed Double Trouble and the two beers compliment each other very well. There are definetly days and settings where I would prefer Double Trouble to Hopslam. (994 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a slightly hazy bright golden orange/yellow with about a finger of off white head which recedes within 2 or 3 minutes to a thickish/bubbly outer ring, pretty decent lacing.

S - Tons of citrusy grapefruit/orange rind, some sweet caramel malts, pine and maybe a bit of honey. Smells phenomenal.

T - Definitely a hope bomb. Citrusy and slightly spicy initially but the explosive bitterness quickly kicks in, which lingers a good bit. Really cant get much past the overwhelming (in a good way) bitterness initially, until my palate adjusted after about 1/4 of the brew. At which point the sweet juicy citriusyness is more recognizable, the malts are certainly overpowered in this one. Fantastic flavors by the second half of the beer.

M - Medium bodied for sure, quite refreshing due to the bitterness. Medium carbonation.

O - After half of one of these my palate has fully adjusted and is able to pick up more flavors than the powerful bitters, founders doing its thing as usual. (990 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this brew pours a clear golden straw yellow with a white cap head that is leaving some lacing, but could lace a little more.

S: The aroma is lacking a tad in complexity, but is on the hairy edge of a 4.5. The main notes are piny hoppyness, small notes of grapefruit linger in the background waiting to bust out.

T: The flavor is blissful bitterness. Grapefruity, citrus, hoppy bitterness. The complexity of the hops is just about the best you'll find in an IPA.

MF: Mouthfeel has perfect carbonation, but I would have preferred a little thicker body.

O: Overall this is an excellent IPA. Definitely in my top 5. I just wish I could get this fresh in Florida! (692 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours into a Dogfish glass golden orange with some translucence. Aggressive pour yields a finger of white head that dissipates to a centimeter. Scant amounts of lacing.

Caught a whiff of this right when I opened it, I love when that happens. Up close the first scent I get is white grapes. Interestingly I've never gotten that from a beer before, let alone an IPA. Lots of mango, pineapple, hoppy aroma. Slight booze on the nose. Smells amazing.

Following the aroma, the taste is also great. Front end is some aggressive bitterness. White grape again dominates. Also tropical fruits as well. Not getting any malt backbone here. No noticeable booziness in heat or taste. Nice dry finish.

Medium bodied with little carbonation. Aftertaste of white grapes lingers nicely.

Overall this is a fine offering from Founders. I've had trouble finding a true DIPA from them (Devil Dancer was more of a barleywine) so this one is great. Glad I got a 4 pack instead of a single. Will definitely try to find this again. (1,009 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks go to Kegatron for the bottle.

This pretty hue of light orange eminates from the glass topped by 1.5 finger widths of bright white head. The head doesn't seem like it's going to stick much, infact there is even some soda type bubbles sticking to the sides of the glass underneath the head. Some lacing is present, but splotchy at best. A very thin ring of head seems to stick around for a good while.

Smells quite wonderful with a lot of different things going on. It's really floral, and has a semi-dank quality that I've only really seen in Lagunitas beers before having this beer. There's also citrus and pine, and alcohol creeping through along with some underlying breadiness.

Initial sip brings some light breadiness along with some lemony zest, but following quickly we get some overwhelming raw earthy bitter character. After that there's that dank character that kind of melds into a piney/peppery finish. There's also a caramel note the whole way through, even if it is a little faint. Really well done blend of flavors.

It's hard to believe this beer is 9.4% ABV. It's pretty oily, yet feels light in body, and has pretty vibrant carbonation. Somehow it's even refreshing! I had trouble enjoying this slowly, no alcohol burn at all and just flat out delicious. Easily one of the most surprising beers I've had this year. Hard to believe it's sitting at an A- as I write this review. (1,404 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

poured from a 12oz bottle into a duvel tulip
zero head, pours a nice copper
excellent citrusy smell.
cool, crisp taste, very hoppy with a nice bitter bite in the aftertaste. glad i picked this up and its something i will probably go back to.
definitely recommended, very indicative of the style. (296 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

This beer pours a deep amber with a nice orange tint to it. It leaves a two finger head of thick white foam with good retention followed by some thin white lacing - good looking beer. It smells of pine, citrus, grapefruit, and slightly flowery notes. The taste starts out relatively sweet with a fruity beginning followed by a bitter, pine and almost smoke like hop flavor. The mouthfeel has two main parts for me - the first being a nicely carbonated sip followed by a resonous sticky feeling on the back of my tongue and palate - very nicely put together. Overall I am very please with this beer - just wish I would have gotten my hands on it a little sooner as it was bottled on 3/15/11 - but nonetheless a very good buy!

Enjoy! (732 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

This is a fantastic double IPA, just about perfect. Not much head on this one, and it disappeared very fast. Did leave a nice lacing on the glass though. Start is not quite pine, but maybe spruce or cedar. After that, the citrus kicks in. This beer has PLENTY of malt to back up the hops though, and comes across very balanced. Much more drinkable than the ABV suggests.

I would strongly recommend this beer to anyone who loves hops. (434 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

A A beautiful golden with a thick carbonation and a fairly thin head but a good sticky lace

S Strong scent of hopps and tropical fruit, like a sort of a buttery mango. Also a hint of honey.

T Sweet and more approachable than expected, with hints of pineapple, grain, honey. A great balance of hopps to the sweet notes was apparent

MF the mouthfeel was good, thick andsmooth. Absolutly delightfull.

Drinkability is phenominal for the style, it is so well balanced it really takes on the high alchahol bill.

Overall I find this to be a paramount of the style, a beer to set standards by, albeit a fairly high bar to hit. (623 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Poured aggressively and less than a half inch of white head. Cloudy orange in color

S- Sweet dark fruit scent mixed with a hopped up boozy scent

T- Sweet citrus and pine hop taste mixed with faint dark fruits up front, followed by a subtle malt taste and a faint boozy undertone. Bitter on the end but no where near overwhelming.

M- Balance is well achieved here as the viscosity, carbonation, and bitterness all work together to bring one helluva party to your mouth.

D- ABV is very well masked here. A sweet and hoppy DIP which i could find myself getting carried away with. Well done Founders! one of the better ales I have encountered (645 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a hazy bright orange with a 2 finger foamy head. Good head retention and great lacing. Smell is huge on pine and citrus hop notes. Very enticing scent with hints of lighter grains. Taste it big on hop bitterness, but not terribly bitter. Grains and malts balance the flavors nicely, and maybe a touch of honey is in there. Whether it’s honey or not, it’s got a hint of sweet. Mouthfeel is nothing special. Lighter weight with decent carbonation that supports the hops profile nicely. Fairly easy to drink.

Overall, I’m not a hop head by any means, but this is a very good DIPA, and will lead me to trying even more. Once again, Founders gives us a world class beer. (678 characters)

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company