Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Reviews: 1,616 | Hads: 6,118
4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

When I had this brew last year, it wasn't really one of my favorites, but whether it's that Founders tweaked the recipe or my palate has evolved since then, I'm finding that this has been one of my go-to DIPAs over the past month or so.

It pours a hazy, light golden color with a nice two-finger off-white head that leaves some latticework around the edges of the glass. The nose is outstanding…notes of mango and orange dominate, with some floral notes in the mix as well. Those sweet citrus notes are what immediately hits the palate, but as it makes it's way down the throat, those spicy hops make their presence known, albeit not too overpowering….and a touch of the 9% alcohol is there, as well. This is a chewy, bitter DIPA, which is what I've grown to love for the style.

I'd love to have this side-by-side with some of my favorites…Hopslam, Dreadnaught, etc….just to see how it compares, but regardless, I'm glad it's been on the shelves as long as it has!! (975 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From tap into Growler poured in tulip shaped glass

Appearance: Golden hue yellow, slightly hazy, amber with a thin white head that dissipated very quickly.

Smell: Strong tropical fruit presence with a nice hoppy blend. Plums, grape fruit flavors, peach, mango, and earthy simcoe hops presence.

Taste: bittery on the front end from the explosive hop presence, and a nice sweetness on the back end from the peaches, mango, and tropical fruits. Very earthy, and biter sweet. I can't taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body and moderate carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: This is a great Imperial Double IPA. It is one of my favorite DIPA. It is very well balanced. I like it better than Ruination. (717 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Beer pours orange/copper in copper is color with a nice 1 finger head that fades to a slight lacing. Decent lacing left in glass. Smell is very floral with a grapefruit/citrus aroma. Sweet caramel malt is also present. Initial taste is a sweet caramel that is followed by a nice citrus/grapefruit taste that finishes slightly grassy. Mouth feel is good, not too much carbonation and alcohol is well hidden.

A good beer. Not sure I like it more than the Centennial IPA they offer, but that's me. The hops are nicely complemented by the sweet malt in the beer but not too much overpower what should be the focus of any good DIPA...the hops. (639 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Orange color, very clear with minimal head. Lacing is thick and soapy on the sides of my ale glass.

S- Major citrus fruit hops and a tad bit of sweet caramel malt.

T- Very unbalanced. Hops taste more piny than citrusy and is very, very bitter. I like it because I love hops but I get really little malt from this one. Can get a bit of alcohol as well, but it's pretty well hidden.

M- Thicker than I'd expect. Very bitter aftertaste makes my mouth happy.

D- Very drinkable beer for hops lovers. Will have this again for sure. (534 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Acquired through a trade.

A: Great Clarity, clear, golden/copper color. 1 finger head that faded quickly. No lacing.

S: Tart, Complex, citrus fruit, sweet

T: Less fruity than the smell, citrus and tart aftertaste, big hop presence with a strong hop aftertaste.

M: Clean, Medium carbonation, hoppy bite.

O: Great beer, Great flavor, but drinkability isn't good enough for this beer to be as highly rated as it is. (417 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

I love this one in the late months of winter.

A: Pours a orangish yellow with with a 2 finger head. There is pretty good lacing on this one.

S: Smells of sweet grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops.

T: There is a great balance of malt to hops the accompanies the bright citrus notes of grapefruit and pineapple. There is a good taste of pine at the end too.

M: Medium to full mouthfeel with a little bit of carbonation.

D: This stuff is awesome. It's super easy to drink and the 9.4% ABV is very well masked.

I can't wait for this to hit the shelves again late this year. (577 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

First off, there is nothing otherworldly about DT. It's like a bigfoot said, "What can I do to make myself absolutely chugable; I don't mind giving up a little something." The beer looks great and the aroma is just generic "hops" - no passionfruit, no mango, no pine, no grapefruit, just "hops".

Where this beer shines is it's absolute enjoyability and ease of drinking. You don't focus on the intricacies, you just enjoy it. When I have a hopslam or a gueuze or a perfect RIS, my eyes light up. This doesn't happen here, but it is a great beer. (546 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Beautiful cloudy amber. One finger head.

S - Hops have a floral/citrus quality. Something in the citrus arena I can't quite identify. No alcohol aroma I expected from the higher ABV.

T - The citrus from the nose is all over the taste along with a slight alcohol bite. Fantastic experience for the style. Lingering citrus in the aftertaste.

M - Medium body with very muted carbonation.

D - Good. One at a time to appreciate the experience. (446 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into snifter

A - cloudy golden color with a good amount of active carbonation. Relatively small head leaves a good amount of sticky lacing. (note: I fell asleep without washing my glass and a huge amount of lacing was stuck on my snifter in the morning, more then I originally thought!)

S - Nice citrus smell with a slight note of simcoe. Decent amount of bready yeast but not too much else.

T - this beer is huge on grapefruit so if you are a fan of that then this is your beer. This is another hop lovers dream beer but there are a few better DIPA's in my personal opinion.

M - I really don't find fault in any of Founders mouthfeels. All are exceptional or almost exceptional. This one doesn't disappoint. Ideal for the style.

D - well, fantastic. It's a DIPA. All of them go down like water, but it's not the best. I still think Founders is the best brewery in the USA, just not the best makers of IPA's. (922 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%

a- this beer was kind of light in the appearance.

s- I thought that the aroma was pretty good. I could definately smell tons of citrusy hops.

t- The flavor of this beer is awesome. Their is tons of citrus and there is a little bite of alcohol that isnt to overpowering.

m- Crisp and clean mouthfeel.

d- I could drink about a dozen of these. I am really enjoying the hops on this one. Great beer (399 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

A - The color of marmalade and honey. Thin head, lacing is minimal (possibly due to over-rinsing glass because of a previously contaminated beer, boo).

S - Grassy, grapefruit. It all comes back to grapefruit.

T - Candied orange peel, lemon. Herbal hop flavor but little bitterness (lingering bitterness). "Definitely isn't harsh".

M - Smoooth, bubbly on my tongue.

O/D - Yes. Exceptionally drinkable, I'd say. Good beer to drink before Trailer Park Boys. (460 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle with no date opened on 9/7/11 and poured into my Founders pint glass.

A- Pours a golden yellow. A bit hazy. Very little head but it does leave some lacing around the glass.

S- Citrus hops (mainly grapefruit and orange) dominate followed by some malt. Some pine, too. Smells nice, but just a bit underwhelming.

T- Follows the nose, of course. First, it's bitter and fruity, but then the malt and alcohol flavor come in. Nice bitter aftertaste, too.

M- Maybe a little boozy but it's extremely refreshing for the abv.

O- I've had this before (in the winter) and was a bigger fan of it then. Of course, this all boils down to preference, but I do prefer my IIPAs to be hop bombs and almost overwhelmingly so. As it stands, it's a great beer. (758 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

A slightly hazy golden color with virtually no head. Very minor lacing.

A strong sweet citrus of apples, peaches, pears, and spices. Very pleasing.

Hops are a wonderful eclectic blend presenting a sudden blast of floral flavors and a somewhat toned down bitter spice. However, bitter flavor is perfectly balanced by a moderate malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is terrific - a viscous, thick bodied assault!

Drinkability is good too. Carbonation is not overwhelming by any means and the burning alcohol present in many hopped-up IPAs is pleasingly absent.

I certainly can't find much negative about this blend. I suppose the appearance is its weak point and I prefer a slightly more bitter flavor in an Imperial. Overall, an excellent brew. (736 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

This is a stellar DIPA! The mouthfeel is exceptional and the hop aroma and flavor come through with a strong malt backbone to back it up.

A-It pours a hazy copper color with a sticky 2 fingers of head.
S- Tropical fruit and citrus. Sweetness from malt.
T- Citrus flavors from the hops foremost with some malt in the background, just how I like it.
M- unreal...Founders makes beers with the best mouthfeel hands down.
Over- Excellent DIPA, one of my favs. (455 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

As always with founders, awesome artwork on the label. Poured into a tulip. Half finger of bright white head, with foggy glowing orange body. Dank fruity hops on the nose. Lots of citrus, melon, a little lemon zest. Palate is smooth, and full. Lots of sweet malt balancing a bitter hoppiness. Some nutmeg or some other spice on the back of the palate. Smooth as hell and not too carbonated. Awesome brew! (404 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -4.8%

12 ounce bottle, purchased at Root Cellar in Montgomery, OH.

A: A very carbonated, white head on top of a light copper body. Very thin lacing through out the glass after finishing.

S: A fresh, strong, earthly, dank hop and citrus presence with pine under tones.

T: A very bitter, dry and metallic initial kick, with an ammonia like after taste. No overwhelming alcohol presence for being a 9.4% APV. The flavor has an unbalanced hop characteristic and is a very good example of what an American made Imperial is.

M: Thin to medium body with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: Although the APV is not overwhelming in the taste, after finishing the glass, I did feel the effects of the alcohol and I wouldn't drink more than 1 or 2 of these in a sitting. Also the strong bitterness tends to linger and can wreck your pallet fast.

I am a big fan of Founder's beers and I visit the brew house every chance I get. I did have Double Trouble on tap during Christmas 08 and I do not think it lost any of its characteristics after bottling. (1,046 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%

A- 12 oz bottle poured into a mug. Beer is a bright orange-gold and translucent, hazy. The beer sports a small head which quickly fades and leaves minimal lacing. Really noticeable carbonation.

S- A myriad of tropical fruits. Orange, melon, lemon, and even pineapple. Citric hop aroma. Sweetness.

T- Extreme grapefruit, with some orange and lemon are apparent in the initial citrus hop taste. This is followed quickly by some standard maltiness, but not nearly enough to balance the flavor of this beer (not necessarily bad for an IPA). A dry finish with lots of hop bitterness. No alcohol flavor is detectable.

M- Medium-full body, with a little more carbonation than I usually like in an IPA.

D- Great flavor but high abv in this brew. Hard for me to drink more than 2 in a night, but those 2 sure go down easy. (817 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip pint:

Appearance and Smell:Poured a slightly hazed gold in color and left a 1/4" white head which grabbed the glass a bit on the way down. Smelled very strong of grapefruit, pine, and a bit of zesty lemon peel with a hint of sweet citrus, really appealing.

Taste and Mouthfeel:This tasted of sweet ripe grapefruit with a piney backbone from a definite resiny hop abundance. Very well balanced for a DIPA. The feel was very nice just enough bitterness to satisfy whats expected from a DIPA. The malt shows up on the tail and comes through as very subtle candy sugar. Higher ABV was masked nicely.

Drinkability:This was a very tasty DIPA. Just the style I prefer. Nice and balanced. Not too biting of hops but enough to justify the style it claims to be. I could through back 2-3 of these at most and be thoroughly pleased. (858 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

A. Pours a bright, hazy, golden-orange color which catches the light. As the head fades, it reveals a delicate lace. The one detraction here is that there is not much head- even with an aggressive pour and it doesn't last long.

S. Piney and tropical hop aromas overlap malt sweetness. The smell reminds me of Hawaiian Punch and pine resin. There is also a slight hint of Honeysuckle flowers.

T. Sweet and floral, followed by some hop bitterness. While the dominating flavor is pink grapefruit, there is honey and some vanilla as well.

M. I think that DIPAs tend to be a little thin but that was not the case here. The 9.4% alcohol is well hidden and the beer is actually quite refreshing in spite of it.

D. Hop heavy without being overly bitter and because of the, well hidden, high alcohol content it's likely to get you into trouble quickly. (847 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Drank from a bottle, mostly.

A - beautiful shade of light gold, reminiscent of early fall foliage or a great tasting apple. Head comes out of nowhere, dissipates quickly

S - typical of an Ale. Slightly above average.

T - very light, fruity - but easily recognizable in apples, an unripe mango, lemon. Some hops

M - very very good, high smooth carbonation, very drinkable and alcohol content masked very well.

O - a pleasure to drink, highly recommend (455 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Pretty clear brassy color with small head that fades to a sticky ring. Aroma is a pungent combination of mango, pineapple, dank weed, and woodsy evergreen. A welcome change from the grapefruit/citrus bombs that seem to be ubiquitous. It's a little too sharp though.

The flavor is similar to the nose, but better and more complex. Tropical fruit dominates, with some resinous and herbal notes in the background. Pale malt is squashed. Ripe peach comes in on the very end as the pithy bitterness lingers.

The medium body has a nice stickiness, thanks to the hop oils. Carbonation is medium as well. Double Trouble is a very good beer by one of my top 5 breweries, but there's just too much of a flavor I can't pinpoint that comes a little close to oniony/chemical/medicinal. Overdone Simcoe or Summit? Don't get me wrong: If I brewed this I would be ecstatic. But there are more than a few IIPAs out there that are better (and cheaper) than this. (946 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottled date: 1/6/12

My first review, so bare with me.

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass

A: Appears golden, unable to see through the golden color, decent head and lacing

S: Citrusy, tropical fruits, tangerines

M: Not bad, a step above the average beer's mouthfeel but nothing to write home about

T: TANGERINES! Literally tastes like tangerines, with a hoppy grapefruit like finish, pineapple as well?

O: This is a new favorite for IIPA's, while this may be my first review on BA, I have been trying every IIPA I can get my hands on and review them off the record, but I finally decided it is time! I'd highly recommend this beer especially if you don't mind your IIPA's to have that tangerine, grapefruit like flavor. The malt in my mind is very subtle, but with this beer style, I think that is fairly normal. Either way, this is a solid 4.5 beer in my book, can't wait to have another. Cheers! (904 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Founders Double Trouble pours a yellow semi-translucent liquid topped with an weaker foamy white head. Both the nose and tongue share the simple sweet floral hop flavor. The potency is balanced, but unimpressive for the style. On the mouth is a smooth clean refreshing beer that is expected for craft beers. Overall Double Trouble is a delicious strong simple beer that is worth a taste. It's not the best Founders has to offer, but it's still worthy of the name. (463 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours into a Dogfish glass golden orange with some translucence. Aggressive pour yields a finger of white head that dissipates to a centimeter. Scant amounts of lacing.

Caught a whiff of this right when I opened it, I love when that happens. Up close the first scent I get is white grapes. Interestingly I've never gotten that from a beer before, let alone an IPA. Lots of mango, pineapple, hoppy aroma. Slight booze on the nose. Smells amazing.

Following the aroma, the taste is also great. Front end is some aggressive bitterness. White grape again dominates. Also tropical fruits as well. Not getting any malt backbone here. No noticeable booziness in heat or taste. Nice dry finish.

Medium bodied with little carbonation. Aftertaste of white grapes lingers nicely.

Overall this is a fine offering from Founders. I've had trouble finding a true DIPA from them (Devil Dancer was more of a barleywine) so this one is great. Glad I got a 4 pack instead of a single. Will definitely try to find this again. (1,009 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into my new DFH signature glass. It has a slightly hazy deep golden color with a little over a finger worth of head that is leaving some great lacing as it recedes. The smell is incredible. There are some great orange and grapefruit citrus notes coupled with the hint of pine. The taste has a nice bitter presence upfront. The citrus taste is much more subdued than I was expecting. The pine come to the fore front on this beer and in a great way. The bitterness doesn't linger too long which leaves a nice finish. Overall this is definitely one of the best DIPAs I have had. I am curious to see how I have ranked it compared to others I have had, but it should be up there if not at the top. It is another beer by Founders that has impressed the hell out of me. Thank God they have arrived in Georgia. (809 characters)

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company