Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Double TroubleFounders Double Trouble

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Double Trouble Alström Bros

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I first opened the bottle, I was greeted with a scent of semi-sweet pine and pineapple, a very nice start.

Appearance - Poured a 1-2 finger head, bright white, dissipating to a thin white cap in a minute. Color is a slightly hazy bright yellow-orange, really a beautiful color. My first 2 sips leave their own individual sticky white lacy rings...nice!

Smell - The nose is a strong pine and pineapple scent, a slight sweetness, I can't wait any longer...

Taste - Oooooh! The nose starts you off with the piney hops and pineapple, and the first taste is semi-sweet pineapple juice & some malt sweetness up front. The sweetness continues just past the center of the tongue, then fades quickly to a wonderful piney hop bite as it reaches the back of the tongue, accentuated by the tingle of bubbles - followed by a sharp, hoppy, dry pine bite at the end...and then a wonderful alcohol warmth starts in the back of the mouth, and then forward as you exhale. Lingering taste is big hops and some grapefruit rind. Not boozy in the least, in fact, the 9.4% ABV is hidden so well, it is only noticeable in the slowly building warmth after each sip is finished.

Mouthfeel - This DIPA is really smooth! The carbonation is perfect - really small bubbles, tingly, effervescent, a nice compliment during the transition from semi-sweet pineapple to blissful bitter hops to grapefruit rind. But be careful, the almost unnoticeable high ABV makes it easy to throw back a bottle (or two) quickly...and then you realize that the name Double Trouble is VERY appropriate :)

Overall - This is really a great DIPA. Wow - the malt sweetness becomes more pronounced as it warms. I wish you could see my glass right now, I've got about 10 well defined lace rings on my glass, some of the best lacing I've ever seen. This perfect blend of pineapple malty sweetness followed by a very sharp, but pleasant resinous hops, followed by a wonderful alcohol warmth and satisfied smile means that I'll be purchasing lots of Double Trouble in the future. (per the Founders website, this is seasonal, and available Jan thru May - would love to know what an aged one tastes like!) I really like DIPA's, and this is a Very Fine example - highly recommend!

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Poured this in my chilled pilsner glass and the head rose to the occasion. Two finger head of rich, tight, creamy bubbles of just slightly off white color. A wonderful lacing followed that clings to the side of the glass like ribbons of white ice. The color of the brew rated a 10 on the SRM Beer color chart, respectable for a IPA. I found myself captured by the intense lime and malt smell, with a little corn , wheat, malt, and grapefruit. Creamy and zippy as the brew washed over my tongue, upper palate and rear upper palette. I will get more of this beer. I was sorry when I found myself looking at the bottom of my glass and there was no more of the exotic brew left. I will share this with my friends that like a good refreshing beer that doesn't taste like the run of the mill brew that you can find anywhere.

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this to be a raw, brutalist cold-cock of hops. To some, certainly this is a compliment, and sometimes I mean it that way, but in this case, I found it crossed my flinch line. The only really standout part of this beer was the mouthfeel. Founders always nails body and carbonation just right. Only a dyed-in-the-wool hop maniac would love this beer. As for me, I merely liked it.

Nice clear golden color with foamy white head that leaves spotty lacing around the glass.

Nice hoppy bitterness in the aroma. Flavor has more of the same, but with a slight citrus tough. Lasting bittterness is the finish.

Mouthfeel is right where you'd expect it to be. Overall a this is a much better than average DIPA and one I look forward to each year.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company