Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Reviews: 1,643 | Hads: 6,317
3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Bright golden in color - almost yellow in places. Head formation is vigorous and bright white in color. Must be a bottle conditioned beer as the pour stirred up a fair amount of floating yeast.

S - Citrusy, piney, and sweet hop nose - very potent. Some grapefruit notes as well. Hops all the way - no malts or yeast.

T - Starts off with the only half second of sweetness, then a very bitter bite takes over. Mid-stream starts to show some of those piney/earthy hops. Finishes with an almost harsh grapefruit hit from the hops. Aftertaste is almost like a resin of bitterness.

M - Surprisingly light in body to me - amazing considering both the malt and hops bill that went into it. Carbonation bite is noticeable. As noted in the taste, a very clingy resin is left on the tongue.

D - Not a session beer for sure - but certainly a beer to spell a session with a hop bomb. ABV is a little edgy as well. I'd say its moderate for the IIPA style.

Certainly worth trying - not quite a Pliny, Racer5 or a Gordon, but a worthwhile IIPA nonetheless.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

This bottle courtesy of Wasatch. Thanks John!

It pours(near room temp) a slightly hazy golden yellow with a good 2 finger head of foam. I see some nice lacing here.

The smell is super hop dominated with lots of tropical fruits hitting my nosebuds. After a few more whiffs, I do get some caramel malt sweetness but it's on the faint side.

The taste is yummy and hoppy but not, in my mind, overly bitter. Good for that. Lots of grapefruit and mango tickle my palate but I can definitely taste the malt influence of some nice sweet tones...maybe more than others that have reviewed it. Hey, I'm a hop head at times and a malt head at other times so I'm drinking this brew and yes, it has a wonderful bitterness to it but I also like what the malt is doing here and it has a bigger presence to me than what I notice in others' reviews. Come on folks, give the malt some well deserved credit here! ;^) Ok, so no, it isn't anywhere near perfect balance but it has enough malty goodness to take the edge off of what could have been a DIPA that went over the top with the hops and made your mouth pucker with every sip. It didn't do that to me and it *worked* for me. Good show, Founders. I salute you yet again.

Nice medium mouthfeel with a lowish level of carbonation, it feels very smooth and silky.

Drinkability? The big abv is, what can I say but....very well hidden indeed! Dangerously drinkable so I'm glad I can't get this locally or I'd be in <see name of beer>. Ok, I tell a lie, it would be awesome to have this beer at my beck and call. This is damned delicious and I thank you hugely, John!

2.28/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured a nice pale orange with a spicy/tart aroma.

Taste was more than disappointing, the alcohol obliterating all the potential flavors (I could make out grapefruit and spice/floral hops) leaving a metallic aftertaste.

Given the other ratings, I gave this a second chance a few hours later. What to do with the other two?

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

I first had this at the EBF, but this review is off the bottle I just finished with extreme prejudice.

What an easy drinking DIPA. When I poured it into my pint glass I was taken aback by the lightness of the color and lack of any "hop haze" that I expected. Then again, the EBF was many beers ago so my memory isn't quite up to par. The color itself was more yellow blonde and clear. The nose is a pleasant floral and citrus aroma that makes me as a hop head get that warm tingly feeling. As for the taste and mouthfeel, I must admit I finished this rather fast for near 10%, which you do not notice in the taste at all. So in all, very tasty and easy drinking (scary). Personally I enjoy a more dirty DIPA with some haze and amber colorations, but I will continue to enjoy this one until I can' type anym....

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Good, somewhat hazy, pale orange in color. Nice sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Mildly metallic smelling. Definate piney/grapefruity presence. Big hop blast up front. Resiny and sticky sweetnees to it. A tad solvent like-more alcohol then from the hops. Good body. A good beer overall but lacks something to really make it great. Worth a shot for hop heads out there.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Founder's Double Trouble pours a hazy golden body with gleeming yellow highlights at the base of the glass. Chunks of yeast are clearly present, indicating that it's unfiltered (or at least only partially filtered) and possibly bottle conditioned. The fine-bubbled, gently zesty and then silky-creamy mouthfeel does seem to indicate that. Anyway, the frothy white head rises high above the body and then very slowly receeds into a finger thick, creamy cap. Beyond that, after a few sips, it still holds a solid head, and leaves walls of solid lacing about the glass.

The nose is grapefruit-like, and pretty much only that. It's chalky-rind city, backed by some gently-sweet and gently tart juice. Only a very modest amount of malt gets through.

The flavor pretty much follows suit except that it's kind of reversed - it's much more juicy sweet and tart grapefruit juice upfront - with less chalky rind, and a good dollop of straightforward golden maltiness clearly comes through. As you progress it becomes more pineapple like! It's one helluva mouthfull of flavor! It finishes with a spritz of citric acidity, followed by some grapefruit flavor and more maltiness as it dries, and then the wide, bold, raspy bitterness rises up steadily, leaving everything else left behind in its wake. Interestingly enough, it doesn't remain bitter. I guess the juiciness cuts through to refresh the palate (and probably the alcohol to a certain extent), and I find it really well-balanced given that it's a massive citrus-hop bomb. What is this, by the way? Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade? I dunno. I don't care. Some alcohol does show though, and it becomes more apparent as it warms. Overall, however, I don't think it really stands out too much, or is inappropriate in any way given the style.

As far as drinkability goes, it's hampered by two things and a kind of a third: #1, it's a pretty massive beer that will knock down your palate, and then you, with its 9.4% abv! Two's probably the limit for this baby. #2, it's an amazingly flavorful grapefruit and pineapple flavored beer that, unfortunately becomes less interesting after the first glass. Which leads us to #3, there's just not enough complexity here - although I will also say that I don't really think there needs to be, or even CAN be. It is what it is, and it's great as it is, and it doesn't have to be really drinkable in terms of volume. I REALLY enjoyed just one, and that's part of drinkability. I won't have another, but I will certainly look forward to my next one.

For hop fans, you've got to go get this one!

2.66/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured from a brown 12oz twist off into an oversized snifter. A rigerous pour produces a smallish half inch white head.
The look is an unfiltered hazyness with a glowing darker golden color. Retention is nice at a cap, with sticky lace drapeage.

Aroma is average, its malty and bread filled, but hops are really subdued. fruity with banana, some mild spicie hops, just a distant wiff of grapefruit.

A bit hot upfront, with a lingering solvent flavor, somwhat masked by mild hops. More spicieness, somthing peppery, dry pine, aspirin chalky tones.
Finishing pretty dry with aspirin and bitter hops. More solvent lingering into the finish.

Mouthfeel is tacky and slick, with carbonation abundance.

I'm dissapointed by this one, after reading some of the reviews on here I had high hopes.
This is the first Founder's beer I've had that I disliked. Its no biggie, this one is just not for my. Luckily they have a bunch of other kick ass brews out there to drink.

Thanks for finally coming to Minnesota!

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

A- Hazy deep gold in color. Small white head fades prety quick. Leaves decent lacing.

S- Hops in the nose obvioulsy but I think the dry hopping was very heavy. I'd like to have more hop character in the nose. Not too exciting.

T- Good balance in this brew, the hops are not overly done. Definitly less hoppy than other double IPA's but the hops in this beer have purpose. The mellow light malt sweetness hits the tounge first and helps with the final finish.

M- Average mouthfeel not overly carbonated, leaves a nice dryness.

D- Very drinkable, I was surprised to see it was 9% this brew will sneek up one you. Overall a good Imp IPA but not the best any means.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Founders Double Trouble is citric-smelling, tongue shredding, and bland.

It poured pale straw with a two-finger white head and left thick lace on the glass. A strong grapefruit-like citric smell popped from the bottle and glass. There was a bit of honey sweetness balanced with bitterness; however the flavor was nondescript and weak in comparison to the aroma. The feel, on the other hand, was remarkable, leaving the mouth with no doubt that this is an Imperial IPA.

The color and flavor of Double Trouble are weak; however, it more than makes up for those weaknesses with aggressive bitterness perfectly balanced by sweetness making this a refreshing warm weather IIPA.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle (no date) poured in to a shaker pint glass.

pours a hazy yellow with a steady clingy thick head

big citrus piney and sweet malty smell

taste is big hoppy with piney and some yeasty chalkiness

very good mouthfeel and the abv is very masked

this beer was as good as expected.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Got on tap at Charlotte's Duckworths.

Appearance is unusually yellow for a DIPA. Very nice finger wideth foamy white head that stays for a while.
Smell is full of floral hops and notes of grapefruit. Pine and lemon round out the nose.
Taste is a little sweet malt, mostly tart and nearly sour. Blended together with lots of hops that are mostly piney and grapefruit in character. Little lemon hop end. Bitter up front and actually pretty mild in the finish.
Mouthfeel is very crisp and a little sharp.
Good beer for hop enthusiast, not for everyone though.

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

I ordered this beer on tap last night. It was served in a tulip-shaped glass. It was golden yellow with no head. I blame that on the serever. It was opaque and hazy and easy on the nose. It smelled sweet and grapefruity and really piney. It tasted like bitter pine cone and lime with quite a bit of alcohol warmth. I recall a moderately thick and sweet texture, but not syrupy. It didn't go down to easily. It was a good beer but I only ordered one. It went well with my raw oysters.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Pours a golden-yellow color, with a white head of 2 fingers that fades to a thin layer.

S - Hops yes, but what kind? Not altogether pine, not altogether citrus or flower. Maybe a delicious mix?

T - Very strong hop forward flavor, spicy. This is more resin/pine then the smell, as I don't taste much citrus/floral.

M - Full, clings to my tongue. Hot on the tail end of the swallow from the alcohol.

D - This is a really good IIPA that I recommend. Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours an almost lager pale yellow with a thin, vibrantly white head. Definitely looks different to this DIPA fan. The smell is a pungent citrus hop aroma, and nothing else but a faint alcohol smell (at 9.4%, I guess that explains it). A very crisp and bitter taste, I like DIPAs, but this one is a lip puckering bitter. I'd almost say I need a bit more malt backbone to balance that out. Still very light, and nice in the mouth, but a bit dry in the after taste. I like this beer, its light and crisp for something so heavy in ABV, but maybe too light for the style. I like a bit more sweetness to add to the citrusy hop flavor. Certainly, deceptively easy to drink for how big it is.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn tulip / snifter.

Appearance: Slightly hazy yellow body and not much head, which sinks quickly and leaves scant lacing.

Smell: Pungent as hell, and balanced. Heavy on the citrus and hops overall, but without the good fruit esters from the malt backbone, I'm left not necessarily with a one-dimensional aroma, but one that could be much more complex than it is right now. That said, it's strong and pungent and is OK with being an extremely hopped up DIPA, which I suppose it probably should be.

Taste: Big hops and a good malt backbone, as I expected. A bit of fruit as it warms up, but mostly candied citrus hops and a ton of nice bitterness on the back end. Finish is more of the candied flavor, along with more malt sweetness, and leafy pungent hops that stay on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Big and creamy with good carbonation, the small prickly stuff that ends up working out really well for this type of DIPA.

Drinkability: A big one, yes, but one that is highly drinkable and comes recommended. Another winner from Founders.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this one on-tap at Pizza Plant in Williamsville. Served in a goblet. Somewhat hazy yellow/orange with a thin white head. Heavy pine aroma. Sharp crisp flavor with a mellow maltiness in the middle and a slightly sweet finish. Again, pine and some citrus. Somewhat thick, chewy mouthfeel. Not sure how many of these I could drink with it pushing 10%, but it certainly is tasty! If you enjoy hops, seek this one out.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Found this one on-tap at Raleigh Times, served in a Raleigh Times tulip a crisp light orange with a frothy eggshell head that's slow to diminish and leaves great lacing. The aroma is a nice amount of citrus hops with a hint of sweet malts. The taste is an interesting balance of citrus hops and sweet malts with a great bitter finish. The beer is slightly heavy but maintains a nice smoothness, especially as it warms. This one was enjoyable on-tap, but I prefer it from a bottle.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

A- Cloudy pale golden yellow. Small layer of head.

S- Pungent fresh hops. Hop bitterness.

T- Sharp hop bitterness. Overbearing hops. Salty and piney.

M- Thick, coats the palate well. Medium carbonation.

D- Sharp hop bitterness makes this not the smoothest DIPA however its a great representation of this style. Hop heads will love this. Could use a toning down on the bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Cheers to jwc215, thanks Joe!

Pours a slightly hazed honey with a finger of rocky cream colored head. Great effervescence to the end, good lacing & & head retention

S: Piney & rindy hops, plus breadyness, plus some booze presence

T: Lemons, pineapples, honey malt; then a sledge hammer of grapefruit, dryness & pine up front. Grapefruit & leafy hops, biscuitty malt & pine needles are all there as this warms. Finishes slightly honey sweet, bready & then much herbal & piney hops & a touch of booze; nothing I can really find fault with here...

MF: Semi-chewy, then creamyness, great balance for the style, pretty warming

Drinks fairly easy, but you're well aware you are imbibing in a serious DIPA here. Well done Founders, I sure hope I see in my neck of the woods soon ( since Founders is planning on Mizzou distribution soon ) !!

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A deep golden color with touches of amber along the sides of the glass. A two inch high head forms on top, cream in color and laces slowly, as well as clinging to the glass. Pine and citrus strike the nose with a strong, intense scent, with a grassy and earthy fragrances at the end of the aroma. Mild malty flavor, with cracked and bread start out each taste. The hops soon take over, with a citric, grapefruit flavor, along with the sweetness of pineapple, it finishes with grassy and earthy flavors. A very consistent feel, medium bodied all the way through, it finishes with mild dryness on the back of palate. An easy to drink beer, strong flavor, intense aroma and a smooth feel that make wanting this beer on a daily basis.

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours a light-golden yellow with a white fizzy head that is quick to dissipate. Looks decent but I prefer a darker golden amber with my ipas.

S- Not a very strong smell. Mostly hops, but not the overwhelming hop smell of most super-hopped ipas. possibly some citrus fruits.

T- Predictable from the look/smell. Hops everywhere up front and in the finish. Not a whole lot of complexity. Dry and bitter at the end with a grapefruit aftertaste.

M- maybe a little overcarbonated. medium bodied. not as smooth as you would like it to be.

D- I could definitely have more than one of these. It is easy to drink, and tastes fine, but is overall nothing too special.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice golden amber color with a one-finger head into my glass.

Aroma is full of floral, citrusy hops in the nose with that hint of grapefruit that I always like.

Taste is full of floral, citrusy hops upfront with grapefruit and even a hint of mint. Hops dominate this bastard. A bit of biscuit malt peeks out but not enough to balance the hops.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering hops as described above. There's only a tiny bit of alcohol burn. Beer goes down pretty well otherwise, coating the throat.

An interesting example of the style that is drinkable and full of hops. What can't Founders do that won't impress? Check it out.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

I picked this up at the Drafting room, shared w/ carlos and evets on separate occasions. Poured chilled into a willybecker.

A - A light amber/straw golden hued ale w/ 1/4 inch of white cap that leaves sticky lace. The light color is slightly out of the ordinary for Double IPA's and I like it. It has a crescent moon for head and the clarity is lightly hazed w/ minute bubbles

S - Sweet + crisp w/ grapefruit scent high in the aroma w/ moderate scent of alcohol. The nose warns of pine cone type hops w/ yeasty esters which are fruity

M - the feel is sweet upfront w/ moderate bitterness apropos to style w/ med high acidity and bitterness. The texture stays sweet and has a warming finish w/ residual smooth resinous note with the bitterness lasting

T - A light sweet crystal tinged malt mixed w/ grapefruit and pine upfront w/ acidity and mild malt in the taste w/ light alcohol taste increasing as it warms w/ gentle dry malt flavors. The citrus and herbal hops bring the bitter intensity to this flavor w/ a gentle pine cone accent and mild grassiness. A nice warmth of alcohol and mild sweet light malt w/ an intensely bitter strong finish

D - Not the most drinkable DIpa, but certainly delivers the hops in an extreme way no question. It goes big or goes home. A great IIPA just very tasty and fits the west coast style well.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a DFH Snifter.
Pours a solid gold color with swirls of yellow clouds swiming threw the beer. The color I enjoyed very much for a Double PA. Beer has enough power in it to form a great head and leave an insane amount of lace around the glass. Lace left on the glass looks like decoration as it covers the entire glass once finished. Smell is of floral citrusy notes and a bit of malt. Taste is very citrusy hops coming threw with it's partner being floral flavors. This was a nice change of pace, as allot of IPA's have malt flavor very strong. This particular beer for me had the mallt relaxing in the back ground. The amount of Carbonation I felt was apporpriate to bring out the flavors of the brew. The drinkability is lovely as this brew will make you feel like it can be a session beer...This has become a must have int he fridge when fresh.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired this in a recent (massive) trade with tai4ji2x. Thanks for the opportunity Xenon!

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Hmmm... pours out quite yellow and pale. Once settled, a thin, soapy, white head sits atop a cloudy, pale gold body. Some light carbonation can be seen through the haze. Head dissipates quickly but looks like it'll drag some massive lace. And it does.

Smell: Lots and lots of hops. Hops that I'm not accustomed to smelling. Buckeyenation says amarillo/simcoe, so I'll assume that's correct. Other words to describe this aroma: sweet, salty, apricot/peach/other soft fuzzy fruit, pine. Smells is nice; this description is not.

Taste: Once again, straight-up hops. Feels more bitter than the listed 86 IBUs. Sea salt steals the spotlight midway through, but bitterness picks up in the end and intensifies in the aftertaste. Simple syrups and pine sprinkled throughout, but make no doubt about it: this is a quintessential hop bomb!

Mouthfeel: Hop-forward would be an understatement. Resinous, fairly light, bitter, dry, warm, and pungent. Hops in a bottle. Palate-wrecking.

Drinkability: Looking for a hop fix? Look no further. Founders Double Trouble will easily match any west coast hop-bomb. When it comes to complexity, however, well... not so much. This beer knows what is and knows what it's not. That said, I can't wait for another.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company