Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Double TroubleFounders Double Trouble

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Double Trouble Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

12/23/2011 bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint

A: Pours a nice golden orange with an off white head.

S: Strong citrus and tropical fruit notes followed by some malt.

T: Follows the nose with very sweet citrus and tropical fruit notes. Finishes with bitter pine notes.

M: Medium bodied. The hops linger for awhile.

O: Glad I was able to try, but does not stack up against many of the other great midwest DIPA's. Would enjoy a Hopslam or Dreadnaught over this every time.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Gotta say this brew was amazing. Bottle date was 1/6/12 I had this brew on 1/12/12. Damn this brew was fresh and hoppy as hell yet balanced and very smooth. Big cat pee smell. Which to explain I hate cats but love my DIPA's when they smell like it sorta like cheese I guess. All kidding aside this brew as it all. Big hop smell and taste. I agree with others just a step behind Hopslam. But, considering I can find and buy as much as I want of Double Trouble it just might be better.

Cheers

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.25/5  rDev +1%

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served chilled in a Duvel tulip

A - pours a clear golden yellow, aggressive pour leads to about 1 finger of pure white head, moderate retention with lots of lacing

S - very citrusy, grapefruit and lemon, with floral hops. no hint of alcohol

T - initially, just like the nose - big grapefruit and lemon up front, then tons of hops. the hops definitely linger for awhile with no hint of alcohol

M - Very smooth, not much carbonation, no burn

O - The more I drink Founders beer, the more I appreciate how solid everything they put out is. This is an excellent DIPA, maybe a half step below Hopslam

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottled 1/6/2012. Served at 51 degrees.

Pours very clear golden color. Very little head, even with an aggressive pour.

The smell doesn't wallop you in the face like some IIPAs. It is an earthy, piney smell. You can definately pick up the alcohol.

It tastes great! Very piney and pretty bitter, but not over the top. There is a solid malt backbone too. I usually like my IIPAs crazy hop forward, Heady, Abrasive...but this haas a great comination of flavors, and there is a foreshadowing of the 9.4% abv, I notice in this more than other (I)IPAs.

Feels nice and substantial in the mouth. This aint yo Mammas beer. This is a great sipper on a cold night.

This is definately a fanatastic beer. I really like my uber hop forward IIPAs, but this is a great beer and belongs ranked with some of the best. Surely try it if you get the chance.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Neck was marked as being bottled on 1/06/12, I guess that counts as fresh in anyone's estimation. I know it works for me!

Golden body with thin head. Little lacing. Nice looking beer, nothing too special, but certainly no defects either.

Nose is all sharp hops, pine more than citrus.

Pine dominates into the flavor. Malt is there, but only to hold the hops together. Citrus and pine components combine into a buzzsaw of hop character that just totally does it for me. It's a bit hot, but that works for me in an IPA this fresh. Flavor is absolutely clean. Just a really solid DIPA.

Mouthfeel is light and slick, no creaminess here. Oddly, very little tooth-strippiness, although it's quite hoppy.

Overall, a really solid IPA. I think it's fantastic, but not a world-changer. Heresy for a Founders product? I don't think so, they make great beer, but I don't feel the need to camp out in line before each new release.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company