Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Reviews: 1,618 | Hads: 6,131
3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

The beer is a deep gold color with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass. The aroma is of citrus, floral hops and some caramelized malts. The taste starts out a strong burst of fruity citrus sweetness and another strong burst of hops bitterness that complement each other well. The malt character is on the thin side for the style and it allows the hoppy and sweet flavors to be more intense. Likewise the after-taste is sweet and hoppy. Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky. Tasty, goes down easily, not very filling, strong kick, very good representation of style. (647 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a pale orange. No head, just a thin white crust. Strange .. you don't usually see that from members of the IPA family tree.

Smells like pine resin, solvent, and a whiff of grapefruit. Hmm...I hope it isn't as boozy as it smells. I like me some booze, but I don't think DIPAs normally can support direct alcohol tones.

It's pretty boozy, but tastes better than it smells. Rich, succulent, borderline rotting grapefruit, heavy bittering pine, and a solvent tone that's really unfortunate. Get rid of that, the beer would be much better. Still, interesting to try.

Needs more carbonation. (595 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours out a very hazy orange color, very minimal head....
smells a bit fruity, citrus, copperish. Tastes pretty hoppy, very bitter, lingers in the back of your mouth bitter. A bit sweet, not too carbonated... not too boozy for a Imperial IPA 9.4%

Would like to taste one down the line to see what age does to it... (316 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle from Ølbutikken, Copenhagen. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Pearling white inch and a half foam. Bronze-yellow color, reminds me of a weissbier.

Smell: A _lot_ of citrus, with a hoppy sting. Not quite unlike a citrus flavored detergent to be frank, but not necessarily in a bad way :-) I like the wild smell.

Taste: Starts floral and hoppy, but quickly I sense walnut rolling over to finish on the bitter side. The citrus I scented is drowned a bit in the other flavours.

Mouthfeel: Simple to the feel, with good carbonation. The bitterness is felt directly in the mouth.

Drinkability: It has taken me a while to get it down, about two periods of hockey. The bitterness is a bit too much for me to drink it easily. It's a 9.4% DIPA after all, but I usually get them down easier than this. (803 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: a orangish yellow. finger plus of a whitish head that slowly fades. a touch hazy.

Smell: pretty standard, hop forward IIPA. citrusy, piney hops

Taste: i get some of a malty backbone but not much. mostly hops citrusy and piney. a bit of lemon too. good but not quite my style

Mouthfeel: strong bitterness but seems a bit light to me

Overall: a decent good tasting beer but I prefer a different approach to my imperial ipas. but well done and worth a try (468 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured a hazy orangey gold color with a nice two finger head, which dissipated quickly and left little lacing in the glass. Very pronounced grapefruit-like hop smell; I got nothing else. Taste was incredibly almost like drinking grapefruit juice, much more so than any other IPA I've tried before. Remarkably, no real bitterness along with this very citrus and hoppy taste. I was looking and hoping for some bitterness in the finish from a DIPA, but the citrus kick up front stays put. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability was good, even with the high ABV, just because of the low bitterness and nice taste. (606 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

I have to say that this beer defies any pre-conceived notions of what a DIPA is. First,this is the lightest DIPA I have ever drank. When I first poured it into a glass, I actually thought I had a mislabled beer, it looks almost orange.

Second, when you sniff and expect to smell malty hops, you are hit with the overwhelming smell of...pineapple. The first time I drank this, I was shocked to the point of thinking I had the wrong beer, but I checked and it is a DIPA.

Once I got over the fact that this is a very different DIPA, I actually enjoyed the beer. It is very drinkable and packs a punch. I wouldn't say it would be the first DIPA I would pick up, it definitely stands out. (686 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance - Moderately slow pour out of a 12oz stubby bottle produces a yellow-golden color brew with nice carbonation running up the sides of the glass and about a fingers worth of white head that is lasting throughout but diminishes to a slight covering and a thicker ring around the sides with a bit of sticky lacing.

Smell - Smell is of a sweet and bitter/sour lemon cirtus. Also in there is some amount of piney hops, bready sweet malts, and another hop aroma that I can't quite put my finger on...possibly some grassy or leafy hops.

Taste - This is what I used to refer to as "a malty DIPA". Now I know that this is more of a taste of citrus hop flavors, piney bitterness, big, bready, balancing malt, caramel malt sweetness, and a bit of 'other hop flavor' that I can't quite identify. On the finish, more like late after swallowing, there is some notes of tropical fruit and grapefruit in the taste but not much. As far as the rating goes, it's just above average for a DIPA for me. I can think of a number of other DIPAs that I prefer over this one. Still a good DIPA without a doubt.

Mouthfeel - Consistency is smooth for a DIPA, with light carbonation and a light-medium body. As I mentioned before finish has more of a nice lasting quality (but not so much that can't get the taste out of your mouth), a lingering bitterness, and it is on the dryer side. Again roughly above average for a DIPA in my opinion.

Overall - I guess my preference in IPAs and DIPAs pretty easy to see. I like em West Coast, hard and hoppy, bitter as you're old Aunt Edna or as crazy fruity/tropical as the strange fruitcake she used to make, but is now too bitter to bring you anymore. Chalk that up to personal preference. I would still encourage anyone who comes across this brew and likes IPAs/DIPAs of some fashion to give it a try. For me, just above average. Thanks to McNuts for this one! I really did want to try this brew and I did enjoy it. I always LOVE trying another IPA or DIPA even if it isn't my preferred type of IPA/DIPA. (2,033 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with a very thin white head that is quick to fade away leaving just a thin ring around the top of the beer.

Aroma has very juicy orange/tangerine notes with some undercurrents of grass and earth. Just the slightest touch of dankness as well. The more I nose this beer the more the aromas reveal themselves.

The flavor, somewhat oddly, lacks the complexity found in the nose. Intense bitterness right away with somewhat buried orange and tangerine notes. A bit of a buttery component here with a little caramel and toast. Huge bitterness lingers on through the finish.

Overall, I was expecting quite a bit more from this beer. Sure the bitterness is here and the aroma is decent but I found the flavor to be really lacking. A little more hop flavor and less hop bitterness would be wonderful. (863 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a clear light hued apricot body with a slight hazy hint. There is a strong carbonation of big bubbles with a thin sudsy snow white head that last for a bit.

S- There is a big pineapple weed hop aroma that turns more perfumed with an interesting sweat sock quality, but in a good hoppy way. There are not many malt flavors that cut through the hops but there is a soft fusel note at the finish.

T- This beer has a full pine tar hop flavor that is very floral with a soft pale malt flavor that has a slight sweetness to it. There is a bitter hop punch at the finish that dominates and grows stronger as the beer warms.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with an alcohol kick that grows as the beer warms.

D- The alcohol heat and the bitterness of the hops really dominate this one. There is not enough hop flavor or aroma to support the bitterness and alcohol and the malt flavor is pretty hidden. I love big hops but not when the bitterness that dandelion pungent bitterness without flavor. (1,057 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -15.5%

here comes another quick cocktail nappy review

-a cloudy dark yellow brown

-kinda smells like a foot that was soaking in some kind of citrus. aka...not great

-not a ton of hops for a double, although it is pretty good. the bitterness gains some ground from start to finish which is like

-good enough

-not too drinkable for me. i was hoping for a bit more from this fella. gonna say i was a little disapointed (413 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A - a nice hazy orangey body. thin creamy head that goes very very quickly.

S - grapefruit and hops. some pine grass in there as well. pretty nice smell brew.

T - pine and a bit of grass upfront lead into grapefruit. hops hit in the end and are nice. mouth puckering sourness on this one.

M - pretty good carbonation.

O - its a good beer not my particular favorite by them but a pretty good DIPA. (438 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Thanks to rlcnmeyer for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice. This beer pours a nectarine orange with a nice white fluffy head that leaves a decent amount of lace as it disappears from my glass. The aroma is a hop smack to the olfactory nerve. Huge notes of apricot and pink grapefruit. Just a slight hint of a malty sweetness. The flavor is just about the same. If you're looking for a DIPA that's malt bill lives up to the hop bill, this is not it. Huge notes of apricot, grapefruit, lemon zest with a blast of alcohol at the finish. There is also a almost medicinal bitterness to it. The mouthfeel is light with very little malt body. Also the hop flavor doesn't coat the mouth like it does in many DIPA's. To me this is more like boozy hop water then a DIPA. Give this beer some body and mellow out the alcohol burn and this beer could be fantastic. (885 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Bone white half finger head of mainly microfoam with a few oddly placed huge bubbles, above average lacing in thin sheets. Solid murk lends translucency to the light orange to yellow colored liquid, traps the light to increase luminescence. Somewhat high-toned nose, zips through there without much thought on sitting for a spell, pine needle and grass sourness and then more slightly bitter tea leaf scents hit you first, honestly the first few sniffs you miss the caramel and butterscotch notes, mandarin orange to white grapefruit citrus also has your nostrils on edge, as it starts to dissolve the peach, apricot scents almost an afterthought. Full-bodied, dense and doesn't get more than an inch or so into the mouth before sinking in fully. The carbonation may be too fine to cajole things back into motion. Some bitters but mostly grass, green hay and pine bark next to sour grapefruit pith. As in the nose, the caramel and malts in general too little, too late. Sweetest part is the apricot, peach, guava fruit, adds some residual sugar. More scone or muffin baked good qualities than breadiness. Very dry finish, overall the flavor intensity and weight last until the very end. (1,186 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a small foamy head. Spotty lacing.

S: Strong hops smell with aromas of grapefruit and celery.

T: Lots of centennial flavor, but that's about it. Hoppy, but lacking any kind of depth or complexity. A gritty bitterness finishes it off.

M: Medium-bodied with light-moderate carbonation. A dry, lingering bitterness.

D: A bit overboard on the centennial IMO. Decent and worth a try, but less than impressive. (445 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a slightly hazy, pale yellow color. Develops a 2-finger thick, light yellow colored head, that showcases great retention, and tons of lace.

The aroma is zesty and citrusy. I pick up mostly lemon notes, there is a sweetness to it as well, akin to honey. The hops shine, but some pale malt character is evident.

Wow, talk about a lemony-hop character. So citrusy and I really do not pick up any malt flavors save for a mild sweetness throughout. Mostly, I get a zesty, lemony, slightly grapefruity flavor. The finish is quite bitter and there is a fair amount of alcohol...the combination of strong bitter hops and alcohol is a touch off-putting.

Nice creamy mouthfeel, carbonation on the low side, but complimentary to the flavors. The finish kinda ruins this one for me...too much alcohol, which when combined with such an intense bitter hop flavor, makes me grimace a bit with each swallow. (900 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours a very clean yellow, with few bubbles but an impressive and persistent head.

Smell is nice enough; a muted and generic hop aroma that is fairly potent.

The flavor is super clean and dry. I checked out some reviews on this one before sampling, obviously, and lots of folks were able to tease out a variety of flavors. I couldn't get past the bitterness and dryness to get to anything else. The hops are floral, but it's a struggle to really taste anything. Malt and sweetness is non-existent. The brew gets points for cleanliness, but I wish the flavor was more complex.

Mouthfeel is dry and sticky, and the flavor is tough to get out once you've started in on it.

Drinkability is OK, but you have to know what you're in for. It's a sipper for sure.

I truly don't believe this is a great representation of east coast DIPAs, west coast DIPA's, or DIPA's in general. It's just simple, bitter, and dry. (942 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -15%

Night dos for new Founders for me. Color is golden straw and fairly hazy?? Curious. Nose is pure and simple grapefruit. Haven't smelled a New Zealand Sauv Blanc with quite that much fruit. Mouthfeel is a a little disappointing---expected something lush and stick to the roof of your mouth but this guy is lean and sleek.
On the palate though the fruit is a little superficial and gives way quickly to a dry finish marked with a little bit of pepper??? Not much on the mid-palate. Curious. Over all an easy quaffer. A summery take on the Double IPA idea. A good picnic Dbl IPA, maybe if there is such a thing. (609 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a 10 oz snifter.

A- pours a sweet, golden brown! A slight haziness that appears to almost be sediment. Low, pretty head with good lacing that has staying power!

S- Dominated by heavy grapefruit! Past this mostly booziness! I've read other reviews that get into a lot more detail. I just can't get anything else out of it!

T- Very bitter to start! The malts are sweet at first and follow that with the citrus flavors ( lime and grapefruit). It finishes With citrus bitter hops that, honestly, leave me wanting more. It's hard to describe, but I would say it is a dirty flavor the beer leaves you with. In spite of this, when the you take a deep chug of it, that terrible aftertaste is not so dominant!

M- Again I have to put this down as dirty! Just not a clean or smooth flavor!

D- Now here's something funny, the bigger the gulps you take, the better this nbeer tastes! Not good for sipping but great for tearing through. The only problem with this is the 10% ABV, you can't keep up that pace very long! (1,024 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

A: poured a hazy golden orange in color with yellow highlights and nice fluffy head that left plenty of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: lots of malty sweetness dominated the aroma with citric lemon, hints of pineapple, slight grassy hoppy character and a little grapefruit zest.

T: the hop profile was not really punchy it was actually muted on the palate with lots of malty sweetness, lemon citrus, pineapple accnets and a touch of grapefruit bitterness.

M: the brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, very mild grassy hoppy, citrusy, slight bitter and crisp finish.

O: it was lacking in the hop department but then again I am from the west coast so I have high expectations when it comes to my IPA's (743 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

In the mood for hops, hopefully this will do the trick.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my Short's glass, this beer is a cloudy, yellowy-gold color. Despite a rough pour, there's not a lot of head going on...maybe a half inch worth of bone white, soapy foam.

Smell: Not quite the hop bomb I was hoping for. Not much in the way of hops at all. Bottled on date is December, 2010...after three months we got ourselves some serious hop fade I guess.

Taste: Well, the hops are a bit more pronounced here...but not by too much. The hops take on a sweet citrus sort of quality, but it's tough to pick it out given the maltiness of the brew.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium body, good carbonation. There's a bit of a resiny sort of quality to it, but nothing that detracts from the beer.

Overall (Drinkability): I'm torn with this beer. It's three months old, and while age certainly accounts for the hops fading I'm having a tough time rationalizing this much fade. What flavor I can pick up is good, so I really want to try this brew when it's fresh. So, with that said...Founder's has not yet disappointed me with any of their brews, so I will absolutely seek this one out again to get me some fresh hoppy goodness. I will, of course, update my review to reflect a fresher brew. (1,277 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

From Bottle (dated beginning of March '11) to Snifter. Poured a very nice, translucent honey/yellow color with a 2 fingers of head which quickly vanished. On the smell I definitely picked up some tropical fruit -- mangoes, pineapple, banana peel. The taste held more citrus flavors than the nose, mostly grapefruit. Overall, not bad, but didn't blow me away. I guess I prefer some of the maltier DIPAs (ie 90 minute). (417 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz bottle shared with girlfriend

A-Hazy golden honey, 0.5 inch white head that dissipated quickly
S-Citrus grapefruit, slight carmael honey malt background, melon flavor as well
T-Grapefruit melon citrus, pine flavor with pine really lingering on back end(slightly overpowering), crushed aspirin astrigency at the end, very drying, nice up front flavor but finish leaves bad impression
M-Full and creamy, low carbo, nice feel in mouth until drying astrigency
D-Good flavor but finish kills the desire to have another one. Good try might be better in 6 months when hops die down a bit. (588 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this to be a raw, brutalist cold-cock of hops. To some, certainly this is a compliment, and sometimes I mean it that way, but in this case, I found it crossed my flinch line. The only really standout part of this beer was the mouthfeel. Founders always nails body and carbonation just right. Only a dyed-in-the-wool hop maniac would love this beer. As for me, I merely liked it. (386 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

Everything about this beer has an in-your-face style. Nice color with a decent head. The smell is all about grapefruit. If you want to teach someone how beer can smell like something other than "beer" then this is one great example. The taste borders on too bitter with the grapefruit/grapefruit pith being the strongest flavor. I dont think it would be too much for IPA lovers but those who dont care for the style will probably not enjoy this selection. (455 characters)

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company