Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Reviews: 1,616 | Hads: 6,119
4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Note: I am not experienced in rating beers, but this beer reminded me of my favorite beer Plinny the Younger. I bought the Founders at an ABC Liquor, the beer was located on the checkout table, and it appealed to me. I figured $4.50 was a fair price... not cheap but not too expensive. So I tasted the beer and was impressed by its tart and biter features. It was a perfect thing to drink after a long day at work. (414 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a clear golden color with a small, white head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of bright fruity hops.

Tastes of the bright hops with a solid malt base. Hops lead off with bright citrus notes coupled with some pine and floral notes. Not particularly bitter. Malts come through next and a touch of syrupy sweetness and bread. Finishes fairly clean with a bit of lingering hops.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slightly assertive amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is good, but I don't see it as one of the best. Maybe I got an older bottle. (554 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours a nice, clean head that borders on creamy but is very bubbly and leaves a lot of lacing. The beer itself is a clear bright orange with a very light brown note. The beer smell has strong grapefruit and resin notes. The overall smell is also fairly crisp. The grapefruit notes dominate the nose but the resin seems to dull it a little bit and make it floral. Also, there seems to be a slight black peppery smell. The taste is fairly surprising and different from the smell. The grapefruit notes are much stronger in the taste than it is in the smell but there also appears to be a more citrus and floral flavors appearing with a tiny hint of sweetness but overshadowed by the hops. The taste also has a slight note of black pepper and the pine flavors are also there. The mouthfeel is crisp and surprisingly light for a Double IPA but still heavy bodied. Overall, a fantastic Double IPA and one worth getting if you can. This is definitely the easiest and most complex DIPA that I have had to date. (1,011 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased on 7/19/14 with a 'Brewed On' date of 6/17/14 making this bottle a little over a month old. 12 oz. Bottle poured into my Tree House Brewing tulip glass.

A – Poured with a thin, white head that dissipated quickly leaving clumps of small bubbles on top. Has decent lacing on the glass but doesn't really cling tremendously well. It has a slightly hazy, gold color. I find it a bit lighter in color than other DIPAs I've had.

S – Nice citrusy, fruity hops right up front. I'm getting some pine/resin with a lot of mango, tangerine, and orange. The malt sweetness is hiding in the background and isn't overpowered by the hops. Really nice smelling DIPA...it's making my mouth water waiting for my first sip!

T – Mmmm, very nice. I get the tropical fruit/citrus hops right up front which melds right into piney, resinous hops. It leaves a long, bitter and dry aftertaste, which isn't unpleasant. There's a lot of hop oils in this one...it's really coating my mouth well. Malts are subdued and offer a solid background for the hops to shine on. After a few sips I'm starting to notice the 9.4% abv. Certainly not overpowering but it has enough alcohol presence to notice it's there. Overall a very nice tasting DIPA.

M – The oily hop resin really stands out to me in the beer. It fills my whole mouth. Above average carbonation...a bit high in my opinion but I don't think it takes anything away from the beer. Not the most creamy IPA but the mouthfeel is still smooth and luscious.

O – Very good DIPA. It would be well worth checking out for any hophead out there. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I didn't know how well Founder's would do with a DIPA but they really succeeded with this one. (1,723 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a bottle into a pint glass. 5/1/14 is the bottle date.

A: pure gold with very little head and nothing for lace on the glass.

S: nothing but hops on this one. Possibly some floral notes mixed in but with the overwhelming hops it's tough to pick out.

T: hops from start to finish. A bit of fruitiness like grape or pineapple accompanies the hops. No malts at all.

M: heavy on the bitterness. Coats the whole mouth with hops. The flavor sticks around for a good minute before starting to fade.

O: So so good. One of the best DIPA's I've had to date (560 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance- Golden, tan, very slight amber hue. Pours a one finger head head from a straight on (non-tilted) aggressive pour.

Aroma- The aroma is big on pungent grapefruit and a sweet maltiness in the background.

Taste- Grapefruit once again dominates the hop flavor with citrus, pine, and mango complimenting the hop flavor profile as well. Towards the end a smooth caramel/cracker malt rounds this out perfectly leaving only a tiny bitterness to linger.

Mouthfeel- This is a very easy drinking double ipa with minimal bitterness and an incredibly smooth finish. As this warms up an astringency pops up, which is minor, but mildly unpleasant.

Overall- This is a really good DIPA with big grapefruit flavors and excellent balance provided by the malt. For me this is a notch below world class dipas like dirtwolf, double jack, etc as it is a bit too astringent, but that's really the only knock I have on this beer. Other than that this balanced and flavorful dipa that I'd be hard pressed not to pick up when it gets released again.(88/100)

note: bottled on 8/03/14 (1,081 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours into a Dogfish glass golden orange with some translucence. Aggressive pour yields a finger of white head that dissipates to a centimeter. Scant amounts of lacing.

Caught a whiff of this right when I opened it, I love when that happens. Up close the first scent I get is white grapes. Interestingly I've never gotten that from a beer before, let alone an IPA. Lots of mango, pineapple, hoppy aroma. Slight booze on the nose. Smells amazing.

Following the aroma, the taste is also great. Front end is some aggressive bitterness. White grape again dominates. Also tropical fruits as well. Not getting any malt backbone here. No noticeable booziness in heat or taste. Nice dry finish.

Medium bodied with little carbonation. Aftertaste of white grapes lingers nicely.

Overall this is a fine offering from Founders. I've had trouble finding a true DIPA from them (Devil Dancer was more of a barleywine) so this one is great. Glad I got a 4 pack instead of a single. Will definitely try to find this again. (1,009 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a mug. Probably my favorite Founders offering to date, and the kick-off beer for DIPA weekend. The color was extremely inviting, beautiful, almost glowing copper. The aroma was strong on the floral and the hops. Flavor was strong on grapefruit. Not too much alcohol in the taste, which was great give the strength of the flavor. Great beer. (370 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured bottle dated 6/17/14 into Lost Abbey Teku

A-Pours a dark yellow and fairly clear. Small amount of white head. Great lacing.

S-Aroma of citrus and floral hops and maybe a bit of malty sweetness in the background.

T-Taste follows the nose with up front hops and some bitter citrus, grapefruit, mango with floral mixed in and a hint of sweetness.

M-Mouthfeel is well balanced with great carbonation.

O-Overall great DIPA from Founders that is well balanced and awesome flavor and aroma. Definite must try. (516 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally, a Founders IPA I really can get behind! I have really wanted to like this brewery after everything I have heard and all my friends just go on about them. Until this one I had not been overly impressed.

Appearance: Golden bronze, very much in line with other DIPA's

Smell: Tropical fruits, Piney, earthy dankness.

Taste: This is a really good DIPA, smooth, but has the right amount of bite, floral, and nice balance of citrus and tropical fruits with upwoods pine forest along to balance that out with very little malt presence which I have thought the last few Founders beers had too much. This one is balanced perfectly. I am happy I went ahead and got the four pack rather than the single.

Overall: As I have stated, this is top notch as far as I am concerned and I really liked this one. It makes me rethink Founders. Maybe the others I had tried were not the freshest, this one I know was very fresh, less than a month old. Anyway, I would buy this one again and will look for it when its released again. (1,021 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Bottleneck says Bottled 05/29/2014.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before lowering to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Resilient sheet of lacing adheres to the glass.

S- Bright, juicy hop aroma with a bit of booze and sweetness trailing behind. Floral.

T- Continually juicy in the flavor with some moderate-high hop bitterness that lingers a bit. Pretty sweet but there's not really a lot of malt backing per say so I don't know if it's coming from the yeast, hops or both. The booze works within the flavor profile but certainly lets itself be known.

M- Sharp and tangy with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- All of the Founders IPAs I've had so far (Devil Dancer, Harvest, Centennial) all have a very similar taste to me. I don't know if it's their house yeast, similar hop profiles or what but this has been the best of them IMO. (999 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a clear amber with two fingers thick of soapy white head; one ring of lace around the glass from remnants of the head; the glass is undisturbed the rest of the way down. Smell: apricot, grapefruit peel, pine - lots, garlic - a little. Taste: upfront it's summit-y...garlic and green with a white grape and cracker backing; then mid sip seems to change gears to peach, pine, and alcohol. A bit oily and booze slick. It's fine. (431 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

a: This beer is crystal clear and light yellow in color. For a beer as strong as this one is, such a light color is fairly surprising! Little to no head is detectable, and any that formed dissipates very quickly.

The presence of hop oils and alcohol can explain that one away.
4.25/5

S: light, resinous, and reminiscent of dark fruits, all mixed in with the caramely smell I assioate with stronger, maltier beers. Overall this aroma leans a lot more in the malts direction, but plays well with the hops.

Its good, but its not increadable
4/5

t: This beer just slams you in the gut with hops, and I for one kinda like it. It hits with a very resinious, neutral flavor. Their was a bit of hoppy raisins/prunes to this one (dark fruits) The bitterness lasts quite a long time, and resonates on the tongue. The beer also has a heavy, sweet malty presence, but its hard to taste because of all the hops (you really can only feel it on the mouth-feel)
I rather like this one. It hits hard with the hops, and has the sweetness from its malt to keep it from being a problem.
4.25/5

M: The feel of this brew is very nice and heavy. It feels like very light honey or caramel, and I like it a lot....with just the right touch of carbonation to keep it from making you sick.
4.75/5

O: I picked up this beer because I love founders: I have pretty much developed a need to pick up their new brews on a whim. And this beer (similar to what I've heard about devil dancer) is not worth the money its being charged. It is a very, very fine Imperial IPA, but its flavor does nothing much different: just a punch of fruity american hops and a lot of malt. I feel that its worth a try, but I feel a bit of remorse about the 15 I spend on a 4 pack, when I might had been able to get something far, far more interesting for the same price.

but as I said before, its a fin imperial ipa. It does the job it needed to do...but it sadly isn't that unique or interesting to people who have indulged in many, many fine IPA's
4.25/5

Worth picking up if the price is right at a bar, or split up between a friend if you need to try all the founders brews (like me)

Ill probably not pick it up again...but who knows? (2,192 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Tap Room in Dublin OH during lunch.

Amazing beer. I now know again why this is one of my favorite beers of all time. After being duped a few weeks ago with buying a bottle that was from 2013 and throwing my tastebuds for a twist, this redeemed that experience. Its a huge beer at 9.4%, but the tast is just out of this world. After that year old, I took a sip of this, and was expecting just a mouthful of bitter hops (which would have been fine!), but then there was the more complex aspect. There was something else in there to cut that biterness a little, but didnt take away from the double IPA flavor. There was a fruity aspect in it, after the initial bitter hop taste. Not fruity like a belgian IPA, but fruity like a cross between a peach and a grapefruit that had sex with a hop plant and brought forth a forbidden fruit - a fruit/hop hybrid that we have all grown to love. (893 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured bottle dated 5/29/14 into IPA glass. Not quite fresh but this is New Hampshire, so that will have to do. Slight white foam head and minimal lacing. Beautiful aroma of citrus and grapefruit. Taste is of strong grapefruit and warm burn from the alcohol. Mouthfeel is peppery and a little carbonation as well. Overall, a very well done Imperial IPA that I'm glad I got to try! (380 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The appearance of this beer is confounding. After a fairly vigorous pour, it appears a bright, shiny gold but offers little head on the glass. From my reading this is not typical, so its possible I got a got a bum batch. It smells fantastic, and the aroma might be its best quality about it. Very citrusy; lots of grapefruit and not overly piney. The taste is sharp and seems to try to do too much. The citrus holds throughout, but the beer seems very malty, almost like homebrew extract. Not nearly as smooth as many other IIPAs. Overall, this beer is overrated. I am a big Founders fan, but this beer underdelivers. After finishing my four pack, it left me wanting more. (672 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A-a clear golden color with about two fingers worth of white head

S-grapefruit, bready malt, citrus, and fruity sweetness

T-similar to the smell with lots of grapefruit, bit of pine, pale malts, and tropical fruit sweetness

M-medium to full body, very smooth, bitter finish

Overall a very nice contrast between sweet and bitter, very easy to drink with nicely hidden alcohol. (379 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in a clear very light amber.

The aroma is seductively fruity with fresh ripe peaches, guava, tangerine, citrus peel with a bready malt in the middle. A piney dank quality in the back almost like Stone beers.

In the front, the beer rushes forward of green pine, sticky resin, lemon peel, lychee fruit, with a stiff bitterness of grapefruit peel and pine on the finish. A medium plus sweetness.

In general, the bitterness is a bit stiff. The sweetness holders the beer back slightly and there’s that alcohol that comes through in the back. Despite the negatives, it is still a hop driven and relatively clean drinking DIPA. One of the best on the shelves. (676 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a hotel rocks tumbler....all I got.

A: Glowing, golden nearly translucent hue. minimal lacing with minor legs.

S: Pineapple and tropical fruit with no overroasted maltiness to intrude. Yeast is for function only and there's a back-white-peppery spiciness to the quaff.

T: Follows nose, not overly obnoxious in any way. Balanced tropical notes with spicy yeast and carbonation lends to a perfect, lively quaff. Hides ABV well.

M: impossibly smooth and slightly dry start leads to an semi-creamy dry finish. Side of tongue is puckery and sweet tropical fruit notes start peeking in on swallow finish.

O: Insanely good. Beats out many other neo-hopped DIPA...this is a cut above. (694 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - poured golden and brilliant with 2 finger white lacy head.

s grapefruit and pine

t - powerful grapefruit, pine forward hop presence but strong enough malt to support the huge hops

M smooth but slightly sticky mouthfeel, appropriate for the style

o one of the best IIPA's I've ever had (292 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: near perfect pale yellow, fairly clear. Head edges and laces the glass. The initial head didn't form much is the only detraction

S: tropical fruits: mango, pineapple mostly

T: the front end taste follows the nose, and has the fruity sweetness that comes with it. The (what I presume is Citra) hops provides the bitterness in transition, the subtle one that occurs. The ending does add a little pine taste, but it's not overwhelming.

M: I like the subtleness of the bitterness in a double, and the beer overall is quite smooth, with decent carbonation.

O: this is right up my alley in form of taste and hop profile. I do wish it added just a little more dryness (but I am nitpicking here). (695 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Decanted from a 12oz bottle (Bottled On Date: 05/29/14) into a 12oz ballon/snifter @ ~40F. I would also like to make mention of the incredible artwork on the label (be sure to view it both upright and inverted).

A- Pours a hazy, yellow-orange (think of the sunrise as it breaks the horizon on a tropical island). Being a winter seasonal, gives me hope that I am one day closer to Spring. Directing the fluid to the center of the glass (i.e. aggressive pour), I was able to elicit about a 1-finger of white, wispy head. (4.75)

S- Wow! My olfactory hues are engulfed with citrus...sweet orange/tangerine with notes of tropical fruits. As the head subsides, the malt backbone along with a healthy dose of pine comes out to play. Extremely mouthwatering...dank, puckering goodness. (4.75)

T- Since eloquence is fighting me, I cannot describe this any other way than dank, piney, alcoholic grapefruit juice. The malts support but never dominate, allowing the hops to shine as brightly as this beer's appearance. Despite the IBU's, the bittering hops comes in well after taking a sip and the malts quietly do their part to support hop load. (4.75)

M- The malt-to-hop ratio is near perfect for a DIPA. The carbonation is moderate, but enough to open the palate to fully enjoy the substantial hoppiness. The malt is present in the finish to prevent any level of astringency. (4.75)

O- As it warms the alcohol is noticeable on the palate and in the chest. Founders' aggressive offerings have yet to disappoint, especially with their ability of producing exceptional stouts (KBS, Breakfast Stout and Imperial Stout). Their ability to brew a world-class Imperial IPA in Double Trouble is no different. (4.75)

Final comment: Some may criticize (as I think some have written) that this beer suffers from being one dimensional by not possessing the usual plethora of aromas/flavors found in other DIPA's. However, I have never tasted anything as dank and citrusy since Stone Ruination IPA...in this case, simplicity is Double Trouble's charm. (2,034 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Simply beautiful pour with creamy white head, golden body, very slight haze. Nose was surprisingly light, with some white wine elements of multi-fruit, booze, and floral. Perhaps served too cold? Palate flavors betray the IBU number as it is delightfully hoppy, bitter, but not hugely bitter in a bad way of any sort. Good malt balance. Scarily easy to drink. As I near the end, I'm appreciating the floral qualities more. (422 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottled 6/4/14. Poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a medium copper, a bit lighter than expected. Very clear. Thin head but very nice lacing, more uniform than splotchy.

S: Citrus, mostly lemon. No pineyness.

T: More hop-backward than hop-forward, but it works. Citrus up front, nice bitter piney dryness in back. Very well balanced, says someone who normally doesn't care about such things.

M: A bit more than medium carbonation. Refreshing.

O: Best Founders product I've tried, by a wide margin. Clear and crisp, with a pleasant hoppy burst in back. ABV 9.4% extremely well hidden behind the flavor. Cheaper than Devil Dancer, and much more enjoyable. (655 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into my Gandhi-Bot snifter. About a finger of white head that dissipated quickly, some lacing left behind. Glorious red-tinged golden body.

Scent of the pine, the grapefruit, the tropical fruits, raw cane sugar.

Very fruity and syrupy going down. Absolutely delicious. I'm not drinking this one completely cold either. Could have sat in my fridge a little longer, but I got anxious. I had to try it. It certainly delivered.

Double Trouble, you say? I'll take two! (490 characters)

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company