Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders Double Trouble - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Double TroubleFounders Double Trouble

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV
Reviews: 1,637 | Hads: 6,268
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance- Golden, tan, very slight amber hue. Pours a one finger head head from a straight on (non-tilted) aggressive pour.

Aroma- The aroma is big on pungent grapefruit and a sweet maltiness in the background.

Taste- Grapefruit once again dominates the hop flavor with citrus, pine, and mango complimenting the hop flavor profile as well. Towards the end a smooth caramel/cracker malt rounds this out perfectly leaving only a tiny bitterness to linger.

Mouthfeel- This is a very easy drinking double ipa with minimal bitterness and an incredibly smooth finish. As this warms up an astringency pops up, which is minor, but mildly unpleasant.

Overall- This is a really good DIPA with big grapefruit flavors and excellent balance provided by the malt. For me this is a notch below world class dipas like dirtwolf, double jack, etc as it is a bit too astringent, but that's really the only knock I have on this beer. Other than that this balanced and flavorful dipa that I'd be hard pressed not to pick up when it gets released again.(88/100)

note: bottled on 8/03/14

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours into a Dogfish glass golden orange with some translucence. Aggressive pour yields a finger of white head that dissipates to a centimeter. Scant amounts of lacing.

Caught a whiff of this right when I opened it, I love when that happens. Up close the first scent I get is white grapes. Interestingly I've never gotten that from a beer before, let alone an IPA. Lots of mango, pineapple, hoppy aroma. Slight booze on the nose. Smells amazing.

Following the aroma, the taste is also great. Front end is some aggressive bitterness. White grape again dominates. Also tropical fruits as well. Not getting any malt backbone here. No noticeable booziness in heat or taste. Nice dry finish.

Medium bodied with little carbonation. Aftertaste of white grapes lingers nicely.

Overall this is a fine offering from Founders. I've had trouble finding a true DIPA from them (Devil Dancer was more of a barleywine) so this one is great. Glad I got a 4 pack instead of a single. Will definitely try to find this again.

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a mug. Probably my favorite Founders offering to date, and the kick-off beer for DIPA weekend. The color was extremely inviting, beautiful, almost glowing copper. The aroma was strong on the floral and the hops. Flavor was strong on grapefruit. Not too much alcohol in the taste, which was great give the strength of the flavor. Great beer.

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured bottle dated 6/17/14 into Lost Abbey Teku

A-Pours a dark yellow and fairly clear. Small amount of white head. Great lacing.

S-Aroma of citrus and floral hops and maybe a bit of malty sweetness in the background.

T-Taste follows the nose with up front hops and some bitter citrus, grapefruit, mango with floral mixed in and a hint of sweetness.

M-Mouthfeel is well balanced with great carbonation.

O-Overall great DIPA from Founders that is well balanced and awesome flavor and aroma. Definite must try.

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally, a Founders IPA I really can get behind! I have really wanted to like this brewery after everything I have heard and all my friends just go on about them. Until this one I had not been overly impressed.

Appearance: Golden bronze, very much in line with other DIPA's

Smell: Tropical fruits, Piney, earthy dankness.

Taste: This is a really good DIPA, smooth, but has the right amount of bite, floral, and nice balance of citrus and tropical fruits with upwoods pine forest along to balance that out with very little malt presence which I have thought the last few Founders beers had too much. This one is balanced perfectly. I am happy I went ahead and got the four pack rather than the single.

Overall: As I have stated, this is top notch as far as I am concerned and I really liked this one. It makes me rethink Founders. Maybe the others I had tried were not the freshest, this one I know was very fresh, less than a month old. Anyway, I would buy this one again and will look for it when its released again.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Bottleneck says Bottled 05/29/2014.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before lowering to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Resilient sheet of lacing adheres to the glass.

S- Bright, juicy hop aroma with a bit of booze and sweetness trailing behind. Floral.

T- Continually juicy in the flavor with some moderate-high hop bitterness that lingers a bit. Pretty sweet but there's not really a lot of malt backing per say so I don't know if it's coming from the yeast, hops or both. The booze works within the flavor profile but certainly lets itself be known.

M- Sharp and tangy with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- All of the Founders IPAs I've had so far (Devil Dancer, Harvest, Centennial) all have a very similar taste to me. I don't know if it's their house yeast, similar hop profiles or what but this has been the best of them IMO.

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a clear amber with two fingers thick of soapy white head; one ring of lace around the glass from remnants of the head; the glass is undisturbed the rest of the way down. Smell: apricot, grapefruit peel, pine - lots, garlic - a little. Taste: upfront it's summit-y...garlic and green with a white grape and cracker backing; then mid sip seems to change gears to peach, pine, and alcohol. A bit oily and booze slick. It's fine.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

a: This beer is crystal clear and light yellow in color. For a beer as strong as this one is, such a light color is fairly surprising! Little to no head is detectable, and any that formed dissipates very quickly.

The presence of hop oils and alcohol can explain that one away.

S: light, resinous, and reminiscent of dark fruits, all mixed in with the caramely smell I assioate with stronger, maltier beers. Overall this aroma leans a lot more in the malts direction, but plays well with the hops.

Its good, but its not increadable

t: This beer just slams you in the gut with hops, and I for one kinda like it. It hits with a very resinious, neutral flavor. Their was a bit of hoppy raisins/prunes to this one (dark fruits) The bitterness lasts quite a long time, and resonates on the tongue. The beer also has a heavy, sweet malty presence, but its hard to taste because of all the hops (you really can only feel it on the mouth-feel)
I rather like this one. It hits hard with the hops, and has the sweetness from its malt to keep it from being a problem.

M: The feel of this brew is very nice and heavy. It feels like very light honey or caramel, and I like it a lot....with just the right touch of carbonation to keep it from making you sick.

O: I picked up this beer because I love founders: I have pretty much developed a need to pick up their new brews on a whim. And this beer (similar to what I've heard about devil dancer) is not worth the money its being charged. It is a very, very fine Imperial IPA, but its flavor does nothing much different: just a punch of fruity american hops and a lot of malt. I feel that its worth a try, but I feel a bit of remorse about the 15 I spend on a 4 pack, when I might had been able to get something far, far more interesting for the same price.

but as I said before, its a fin imperial ipa. It does the job it needed to do...but it sadly isn't that unique or interesting to people who have indulged in many, many fine IPA's

Worth picking up if the price is right at a bar, or split up between a friend if you need to try all the founders brews (like me)

Ill probably not pick it up again...but who knows?

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Tap Room in Dublin OH during lunch.

Amazing beer. I now know again why this is one of my favorite beers of all time. After being duped a few weeks ago with buying a bottle that was from 2013 and throwing my tastebuds for a twist, this redeemed that experience. Its a huge beer at 9.4%, but the tast is just out of this world. After that year old, I took a sip of this, and was expecting just a mouthful of bitter hops (which would have been fine!), but then there was the more complex aspect. There was something else in there to cut that biterness a little, but didnt take away from the double IPA flavor. There was a fruity aspect in it, after the initial bitter hop taste. Not fruity like a belgian IPA, but fruity like a cross between a peach and a grapefruit that had sex with a hop plant and brought forth a forbidden fruit - a fruit/hop hybrid that we have all grown to love.

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured bottle dated 5/29/14 into IPA glass. Not quite fresh but this is New Hampshire, so that will have to do. Slight white foam head and minimal lacing. Beautiful aroma of citrus and grapefruit. Taste is of strong grapefruit and warm burn from the alcohol. Mouthfeel is peppery and a little carbonation as well. Overall, a very well done Imperial IPA that I'm glad I got to try!

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The appearance of this beer is confounding. After a fairly vigorous pour, it appears a bright, shiny gold but offers little head on the glass. From my reading this is not typical, so its possible I got a got a bum batch. It smells fantastic, and the aroma might be its best quality about it. Very citrusy; lots of grapefruit and not overly piney. The taste is sharp and seems to try to do too much. The citrus holds throughout, but the beer seems very malty, almost like homebrew extract. Not nearly as smooth as many other IIPAs. Overall, this beer is overrated. I am a big Founders fan, but this beer underdelivers. After finishing my four pack, it left me wanting more.

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A-a clear golden color with about two fingers worth of white head

S-grapefruit, bready malt, citrus, and fruity sweetness

T-similar to the smell with lots of grapefruit, bit of pine, pale malts, and tropical fruit sweetness

M-medium to full body, very smooth, bitter finish

Overall a very nice contrast between sweet and bitter, very easy to drink with nicely hidden alcohol.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in a clear very light amber.

The aroma is seductively fruity with fresh ripe peaches, guava, tangerine, citrus peel with a bready malt in the middle. A piney dank quality in the back almost like Stone beers.

In the front, the beer rushes forward of green pine, sticky resin, lemon peel, lychee fruit, with a stiff bitterness of grapefruit peel and pine on the finish. A medium plus sweetness.

In general, the bitterness is a bit stiff. The sweetness holders the beer back slightly and there’s that alcohol that comes through in the back. Despite the negatives, it is still a hop driven and relatively clean drinking DIPA. One of the best on the shelves.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a hotel rocks tumbler....all I got.

A: Glowing, golden nearly translucent hue. minimal lacing with minor legs.

S: Pineapple and tropical fruit with no overroasted maltiness to intrude. Yeast is for function only and there's a back-white-peppery spiciness to the quaff.

T: Follows nose, not overly obnoxious in any way. Balanced tropical notes with spicy yeast and carbonation lends to a perfect, lively quaff. Hides ABV well.

M: impossibly smooth and slightly dry start leads to an semi-creamy dry finish. Side of tongue is puckery and sweet tropical fruit notes start peeking in on swallow finish.

O: Insanely good. Beats out many other neo-hopped DIPA...this is a cut above.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - poured golden and brilliant with 2 finger white lacy head.

s grapefruit and pine

t - powerful grapefruit, pine forward hop presence but strong enough malt to support the huge hops

M smooth but slightly sticky mouthfeel, appropriate for the style

o one of the best IIPA's I've ever had

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: near perfect pale yellow, fairly clear. Head edges and laces the glass. The initial head didn't form much is the only detraction

S: tropical fruits: mango, pineapple mostly

T: the front end taste follows the nose, and has the fruity sweetness that comes with it. The (what I presume is Citra) hops provides the bitterness in transition, the subtle one that occurs. The ending does add a little pine taste, but it's not overwhelming.

M: I like the subtleness of the bitterness in a double, and the beer overall is quite smooth, with decent carbonation.

O: this is right up my alley in form of taste and hop profile. I do wish it added just a little more dryness (but I am nitpicking here).

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Decanted from a 12oz bottle (Bottled On Date: 05/29/14) into a 12oz ballon/snifter @ ~40F. I would also like to make mention of the incredible artwork on the label (be sure to view it both upright and inverted).

A- Pours a hazy, yellow-orange (think of the sunrise as it breaks the horizon on a tropical island). Being a winter seasonal, gives me hope that I am one day closer to Spring. Directing the fluid to the center of the glass (i.e. aggressive pour), I was able to elicit about a 1-finger of white, wispy head. (4.75)

S- Wow! My olfactory hues are engulfed with citrus...sweet orange/tangerine with notes of tropical fruits. As the head subsides, the malt backbone along with a healthy dose of pine comes out to play. Extremely mouthwatering...dank, puckering goodness. (4.75)

T- Since eloquence is fighting me, I cannot describe this any other way than dank, piney, alcoholic grapefruit juice. The malts support but never dominate, allowing the hops to shine as brightly as this beer's appearance. Despite the IBU's, the bittering hops comes in well after taking a sip and the malts quietly do their part to support hop load. (4.75)

M- The malt-to-hop ratio is near perfect for a DIPA. The carbonation is moderate, but enough to open the palate to fully enjoy the substantial hoppiness. The malt is present in the finish to prevent any level of astringency. (4.75)

O- As it warms the alcohol is noticeable on the palate and in the chest. Founders' aggressive offerings have yet to disappoint, especially with their ability of producing exceptional stouts (KBS, Breakfast Stout and Imperial Stout). Their ability to brew a world-class Imperial IPA in Double Trouble is no different. (4.75)

Final comment: Some may criticize (as I think some have written) that this beer suffers from being one dimensional by not possessing the usual plethora of aromas/flavors found in other DIPA's. However, I have never tasted anything as dank and citrusy since Stone Ruination IPA...in this case, simplicity is Double Trouble's charm.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Simply beautiful pour with creamy white head, golden body, very slight haze. Nose was surprisingly light, with some white wine elements of multi-fruit, booze, and floral. Perhaps served too cold? Palate flavors betray the IBU number as it is delightfully hoppy, bitter, but not hugely bitter in a bad way of any sort. Good malt balance. Scarily easy to drink. As I near the end, I'm appreciating the floral qualities more.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottled 6/4/14. Poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a medium copper, a bit lighter than expected. Very clear. Thin head but very nice lacing, more uniform than splotchy.

S: Citrus, mostly lemon. No pineyness.

T: More hop-backward than hop-forward, but it works. Citrus up front, nice bitter piney dryness in back. Very well balanced, says someone who normally doesn't care about such things.

M: A bit more than medium carbonation. Refreshing.

O: Best Founders product I've tried, by a wide margin. Clear and crisp, with a pleasant hoppy burst in back. ABV 9.4% extremely well hidden behind the flavor. Cheaper than Devil Dancer, and much more enjoyable.

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into my Gandhi-Bot snifter. About a finger of white head that dissipated quickly, some lacing left behind. Glorious red-tinged golden body.

Scent of the pine, the grapefruit, the tropical fruits, raw cane sugar.

Very fruity and syrupy going down. Absolutely delicious. I'm not drinking this one completely cold either. Could have sat in my fridge a little longer, but I got anxious. I had to try it. It certainly delivered.

Double Trouble, you say? I'll take two!

3.37/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

a- Extremely clear and golden, easily read writing through the beer. It appears crisp and natural. Very thin layer of foam on top.

s- Clean straight forward smell, not very hops driven, light citrus aroma.

t- There is a bitterness that really turns me on. There is nothing smooth in the taste. There is an awkward confusion with my taste buds.

m- I feel lke this beer really went swinging for the fences and was caught at the warning track. It begins to impress and then really lets up, nothing very satisfying.

O-I commend the amount of work put into the beer, but again it's downfall in my opinion is that its really pandering for attention. Don't try so hard beer, calm down.

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

An excellent example of a great DIPA. The appearance was dark yellow with a thin head. The nose was bursting with floral and pine from the hops, although there was a bit of sweetness on the back end from the roasted malt. The flavor was amazing with full force of hops coming in the beginning while leaving the sweetness from the malt in the finish to make a very refreshing beer that doesn't attack your senses. Overall I thought it was an amazing beer.

3.94/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: crystal clear; gold colored; 1 finger pillowy off white head that receded slowly to a thin cap; nice lacing;

S: ripe peaches and apricots;

T: tropical fruit up front with a little bitterness; pine at mid-palate with tropical fruit in the background and bitterness building; finish is moderately bitter with piney undertones;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: really like the aroma The taste, while not as good, is still very nice;

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle which was bottled on 05/29/2014. Sampled on June 20. 2014.

Copper amber pour with excellent clarity and a short-lived cream colored head. Looks like a typical IPA.

The aroma is alive with floral, citrus, and earthy hop esters which dominate the nose but do not completely overtake the pale malts in the mix.

The body is medium to heavy with a smooth texture to it.

The taste has a vibrant flavorful hop character to it that swiftly take over the opening snippet of roasted pale malts. A very nice DIPA. I am learning to appreciate this style more and more.

3.34/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on date too smeared to read, but looks like the last two digits are 13, which won't bode well if true.

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden amber with an off-white finger width head. Fair retention, resulting in a broken layer of surface suds. Lacing is small and spotty, with fair stick.

Smell - Deep caramel aroma, off-set by touches of light pine and citrus.

Taste - Caramel. Stale cardboard. Faint grapefruit pith bitterness in the finish.

Moutfeel - Medium to full body with light carbonation. Smooth.

Overall - Yeah, I'd say this bottle is well past its prime. I'm now reading on Founder's website that this beer's limited run is July-September, and considering this is June, I declare this about as dead as IPAs get. A shame. Hate to review it like this, but let this review be a reminder: IPAS DO NOT AGE WELL... DISTRIBUTORS PULL THESE OFF THE SHELVES! A definite candidate for a re-review.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company