2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Backwoods BastardFounders Backwoods Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,765 | Reviews: 1,404 | Show All Ratings:
Frosty80

Color: pours brown. sits dark ruby

Smell: sweet malt aroma with oak and bourbon. light alcohol and hint of sweet bread and vanilla

Taste: sweet, bready malt flavors with woody and bourbon tones. finishes sweet with some whiskey and oak flavor and hints of dark fruit, cocoa, vanilla and warming alcohol

Mouthfeel: heavy-med body. smooth with low carbonation

Notes: delicious fuckin beer! i wait all year for this and i made sure we stocked up big time at the store. one of my favorite beers and probly my favorite seasonal ANYONE puts out! decided to give it a 5 cause i cant imagine a scotch ale getting any better. i can always go back anyway

11-20-2009 04:50:25 | More by Frosty80
donniecuffs

Poured into a snifter at the Mohawk House in Sparta, NJ. Deep opaque, reddish-mahogany, with one finger of beige head that retained and laced excellently. Very little visible carbonation. The aroma revealed a huge cherry-vanilla/whiskey/oak essence, with some caramel apple and smoke as well. The taste? Wow...sweet malty, caramel-apple, cherry-vanilla, then followed by more sweet fruitiness before finishing on an ever so subtle bitter peel finish, that hid the alcohol content ridiculously well. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the whiskey in the nose, I wouldn't get much hint of alcohol at all. The feel was a silky smooth medium thickness, with no carbonation. The crazy thing is that the alcohol presence is such a non-factor, that you can find yourself having downed three snifters of this stuff, and still be yearning to session more. I know I was. Anyway, I sampled this at my virgin trip to the fine establishment known as the Mohawk House (see review), but even if I didn't like the place, I would've come back just for this beer. I can't remember when I have given a beer review 5's across the board..if ever. This beer is excellently done on all fronts.

11-19-2010 23:14:45 | More by donniecuffs
AScribjr

This beer is not for your everyday beer drinker...This beer pours like the red seas...And the aroma of this beer opens up the bourbon barrel. the first sip is a full mouth of delight.But the way it makes you feel is the best.It is to bad thiss beer is very limited...thank-you Founder

12-11-2010 16:56:52 | More by AScribjr
andrecrompton

I would surely consider myself a beer nut and this is the "Holy Grail" of beers that I have had. Great from first taste to finish. The body of this beer is heavy with a sweet after taste. Vanilla and Caramel taste all throughout. Perfect head from a tap pour. I have had other scotch or whiskey ales and they don't come close to the taste of this beer. I am really surprised to see very little reviews on beer.

This is a definate sipper and not a liter mug guzzler.

03-19-2011 05:16:54 | More by andrecrompton
gfreed

Rarely am I given the chance to rate a beer so highly. This is so far beyond any other American Scotch ale, it is the standard for American beers in this style. Bourbon to the fore! Add to that the gentle aroma of citrus with a heavy malty tang; a dense taste of orange peels, lemons, rope, cocoa, butter, oak, new leather shoes... is there anything *not* to envy in this beer? This can go head to head with any UK Scotch ale. Best enjoyed in a snifter or a thistle while playing the piano, or on one's front porch on an almost-spring New England afternoon. An incredible beer by any standard.

04-05-2011 01:04:29 | More by gfreed
chromemittenman

Was fortunate enough to get a bottle from a friend. This beer is absolutely incredible...very smooth taste, definitely can tell it was aged in Oak Barrels. If you aren't a fan of the oak aged beers, then this one might not be for you...but this beer is no joke...some bite of whiskey on the front end, but smooths right out. I think one is enough for drinking one of these...I wish I had several more!!

06-27-2011 01:10:27 | More by chromemittenman
alk3kenny

Georgia

Been getting really into trying different Founder's beers after getting my hands on breakfast stout and CBS... Found this in a four pack at my local liquor store they had one 4pk left after I bought this one... I'll be going back for the other one hopefully it's still there. Pours a great color dark in the center but tan in the light around the edges smell of alcohol and bourbon. Tastes just as delicious the whisky is really present here which is a huge plus. Smooth easy to drink just overall delicious. If you've been pining for some of Founder's rarer brews and you come across this do yourself a favor get some. Do it... Do it... C'mon Do it...

UPDATE:!!! Pouring a 2011 and a 2012 next to each other and seeing the differences. Looking at appearance my 11 is slightly lighter then the 12 which is much darker this year. The smell on the 11 has definitely mellowed out over the year and the 12 has the same wonderful smell that I imagine. Let's taste... Wow the 11 has really mellowed out and became extremely smooth. You can taste the difference in the two from the get go. The year of age really benefits this beer though the 12 is still the amazing beer that I remember. It shows the alcohol much more and has slightly more of the bourbon burn. The 11 is now super smooth and easy going alcohol presence has lessened but I'm sure that the overall abv has hopefully increase with age. Mouthfeel on the 11 is amazingly creamy while 12 has the nice bourbon feel and fresh beer carbonation. Can't wait to put the 11 next to the 12 and 13 next year lol :)

10-18-2011 02:11:42 | More by alk3kenny
buddha5050

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass

A. small 1/2 finger tight white head with a nice dark/ruby red color nice laceing and alcohol feet. Good carbonation as well.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, oak, dark fruits, cherries, even a little black walnut to me. Sweet.

T: Oh wow! It is so well blended you get the bourbon and vanilla up front a nice sweetness. The best tasting wee heavy I have ever had hands down. Chocolate covered cherry....

M: Medium body, not too sticky like alot of barrel aged beers. Nice carbonation...

O: I can't say enough about this beer, I know I gave it a 5 but this is a rare example of a truly great beer...

11-03-2012 03:33:31 | More by buddha5050
JohnnyMc

Another Bourbon-Barrel aged beer from Founders!!

Pours out a pretty dark mahogany with ruby highlights and a thin head.

The aroma has a lot of Bourbon, a decent amount of vanilla, oak, caramel, toffee butterscotch and followed by dark fruits like figs and raisins.

The taste has a decent amount of Bourbon right away and that's followed by the caramel, toffee and butterscotch notes and then that blends into a vanilla, slightly smoky and oaky characteristic and on the back end is where all the dark fruit notes are. The bitterness helps balance out the sweetness, but it's not a bitter beer.

It's medium bodied and has a nice rich mouthfeel. You can feel and taste the alcohol, but it enhances the style of the beer.

Very easy to drink and extremely enjoyable young, but I'm going to age a few bottles as well to see how it is in a year or more.

12-24-2012 00:56:26 | More by JohnnyMc
doppelmeup

I absolutely loved this beer. Had it on tap on two separate occasions, and wish I could find some in bottles.

Great notes of malt, vanilla and bourbon in the nose, and the taste is more than I ever hoped for. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Sweet without being cloying. Bourbon flavors perfectly compliment the scotch ale, resulting in one of the best beers I've ever had.

Warning though - the 10.2% ABV will kick you in the N**ts!

I say - if you ever see this, buy it!!

02-05-2013 17:12:43 | More by doppelmeup
krustster

Appearance: one of the best-looking beers I have ever seen, if not the very best. I always say this isn't an important category, but this is one of those beers that you really have to see in the glass to fully appreciate. Dark, dark brownish red. Held up to the light it's almost a blood red. Mostly clear with fine sediment suspended in the bottom of the glass. Very generous brownish-white head that lasts for a very long time. Tons of sticky lacing. Incredible appearance. I've had many bottles of this before now, but just looking at it is raising my expectations for this review.

Smell: Incredibly rich, bourbon, oak, candied nuts, caramel, vanilla, toffee, every "sweet" and "rich" adjective you can think of applies here. I'm sure there are some references to dark fruits and whatnot that I'm missing, but to me, it's all about the caramel and pecan pie. In any case, it's a magical experience. I've been just smelling it for about half an hour, and this is my 13th bottle so far this year. It never gets old. Absolutely unreal!

Taste, in accordance with tradition, is similar to the nose. Delicious, rich, decadent, any over-the-top adjective you want to apply will fit in here. Huge bourbon, oak, caramel, toffee, dried fruits or whatever, incredible. This is one of those beers where you go "oh my god bourbon barrels must be actually magic!" and buy a bunch of bourbon barrel stuff that isn't very good, in hopes of duplicating the miracle your mouth just experienced. More than anything else, the flavor I get is pecan pie. And that's one of my favorite types of pie! Oh man. Maybe even french toast. This is so sweet, so rich, so balanced. But not over the top! I like over the top things, but this one is so balanced in spite of how rich and sweet it it is, that it reaches another level. It's almost like a religious experience. What a treat. I could drink this all day... but given its limited nature, I'll say that I could have this as a dessert after any meal.

Mouth feel... a hard category to rate, but I have to give it a perfect score again. It's so sticky, like a syrup. Like maple syrup on french toast! Viscous, but creamy, and with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall, it would appear that I've given this beer a perfect score. I don't have a ton of reviews, but this is one of only two so far that has gotten such a rating from me. I dunno, for me, most beers fall behind in either mouth feel or appearance, but this one is quite simply perfect all around. I cut myself off once I'd purchased 16 bottles. I have 3 left, and I feel like I made a grave mistake buying as "few" as I did. This beer is an utter masterpiece.

02-12-2014 03:14:19 | More by krustster
Hoptimus-Prime

Ok, 5/5 isn't easily earned but for me , this beer couldn't taste better than it does, perfection!

Pours darker than I expected, dark brown allowing minimal light to shine through. Not much of a head or lacing, but that's not important to me. Corbonatotion levels can make or break a beer and this one doesn't need any more or less.

Smells of Bourbon with a slight sweetness cutting through.

The taste...oh the taste! First impression leads you to believe this I going to be a boozy monster of a beer, BIG bourbon takes front and center only to lead to a sweeter butterscotch flavor that counteracts the alcohol taste perfectly!

Medium bodied and sticky on the tounge , the taste that lingers on the palate is remarkable!

Overall, this is one of the best beers I've had, lives up to the hype and then some! Dangerously drinkable for 10.2%.
Founders has given me another reason to consider them one of the best breweries out there!

12-08-2013 05:08:23 | More by Hoptimus-Prime
Paul5211

I've rarely had a beer that I loved more than this! I love full-flavored ales and I've recently become a huge fan of oak whiskey barrel aging. Add that to Wee Heavy being my favorite variety of beer and this is second only to one other beer I've tried (St. Arnold's Bishop's Barrel #5 from Houston) and then not by much. Dark color. Beautiful, full aromas of cocoa. Taste and finish were delightful! The bourbon gives it an oaky, caramel-like taste to compliment the cocoa and adds just a slight burn that feels great going down. I can't give this beer enough stars! Unfortunately, like the St. Arnold's, it's a limited release, so I don't get to enjoy it over and over. I would love for a brewer to make a beer like this year-round!

12-31-2013 17:50:09 | More by Paul5211
timobkg

4.98/5  rDev +15%

Poured into a Chimay glass.

Appearance is a very dark red, like a dark mahogany table at night, with a thin but appropriate head.

Aroma is a unique mix of bourbon and coconut rum, warm and inviting.

The taste is rich, sweet, and smooth, with flavors of mellow bourbon, caramel, and coconut rum. The alcohol is very well hidden, so it tastes smooth and not at all boozy.

Overall, it is an amazing bourbon beer, rich and luxurious. I like my bourbon beers heavy on the bourbon flavor, and this delivers in spades. It's great with BBQ, as an after dinner drink, or really anytime. It's one of the best beers I've had.

06-05-2012 17:38:47 | More by timobkg
warrenout330

4.98/5  rDev +15%

Mad props to Wendy at VE for my reserve on this 4pk!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my delirium snifter

A- poured a deep reddish brown color.. Ruby highlights to the curves of the glass.... resembles a liquid Ruby in my glass to the light. Off white head, quickly dissovles to nothing minimal lacing

S- big whiff reveals a smack of Bourbon, vanilla and white oak undertones. Dark fruit highlights in the back.

T- like the nose but some more pronounced. Big Bourbon flavors, smooth vanilla, light earthy undertones of oak. Dark cherry twist for sweetness..ting of booze lingering.Huge flavors going on but the balance is the biggest thing going on here

M- smooth, creamy, oily body... light carbonation, kind of prickly on the tongue maybe from the booze?

O- my first experience with this brew, very happy I have the pleasure sipping this right now. Very well done, huge flavors with huge balance.. now I see what all the hype is about...def putting my other 2 way for a couple of years....

11-07-2012 07:30:15 | More by warrenout330
inhoc00

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

brand new backwoods bastard thanks to armaneti's on lincoln - the best shop in chicago. this new label has a blind old man with a hatchet and is labeled as 10.2%alc.

poured into a tripel karmeliet tulip

a - dark dirty brown, translucent to the bottom like a filthy creek (eh backwoods stuff ya know)

s- very sweet brown sugar and baked beans/bacon and bourbon? in a good way of course. very unexpected. a bastard breakfest?

t- this is really really good stuff. very sweet bourbon. almost no alcohol. no bitterness.

m- low carbonation, semi creamy

d- amazingly drinkable. i let my wife take a sip who hates strong beer and she even enjoyed it. tastes nothing like 10.2% excellent beer.

10-25-2008 00:41:48 | More by inhoc00
seitzka

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Okay, this is my first review. Let me start by saying, first, thanks for reading. Second, you need to go find this beer. There's a reason I haven't reviewed a beer yet. I haven't discovered one so unique to bother. Seriously though, I'm not sophisticated enough to differentiate the subtle nuances between the many different styles and many different brewers. I've been a cheap beer drinker all my life until the past few months. You'll never witness me ripping on a 30pack of Red Dog, but recently, my tastes have become a bit more refined. I hesitate say but now it's more about the quality than the quantity. I bought six random (local/Michigan) beers tonight. There were porters and trippels but I saved this particular bottle 'til last. I always pick one that I believe will stand out as my final beer. This was it. However, I had to take a trip BACK to the beer store for more of this TONIGHT.

I didn't note the pour, color, bouquet or head. What I did note was the terrific initial taste and the pleasureably sweet subsequent aftertaste. Aftertaste is usually a bad word, but with this beer it is the dessert. Reviews compare this beer to Founder's Dirty Bastard but I taste no similarities. For a heavy HEAVY (10.2%) beer, this is a delightfully pleasant and refreshing brew that far surpasses all expectations.

11-15-2008 05:31:55 | More by seitzka
Sycodrummer

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from the stubby brown bottle into a thistle glass the beer was a chestnut brown color with a tan head rising about 1 finger above the beer. The head is creamy consistancy and holds well throughout the sample. The rest of the beer is still; no streaming carbonation of stray bubbles.

The nose on the beer is incredible. The smell forshadows the taste very well. Big malty mollasses coming through. Caramel, brown sugar, alcohol, and dried fruit all come through.

Taste hits the palate and is nice a sweet upfront. This is what I expected from the style. A robust beer with a huge malt backbone and hints of its strength with just moments of alcoholic heat. Caramel and toffee shine through and sweetness is accented with hints of brown sugar, bread, and mollasses.

The mouthfeel is right on for the style. Big, robust, almost a little creamy, and certainly chewy. Warming slightly and filling.

I thought the beer was spot on for its style in terms of taste and mouthfeel. Some scotch ales come out of the bottle a little thin, but I though this one nailed it. A very enjoyable beer and perfect for a cold night.

12-11-2008 19:11:28 | More by Sycodrummer
cccupps3

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

i had this beer a few times at Blue Dogg in Warminster P.A. Everytime i see it on a list i will get it because it is one of the best beers that Founders makes. It has an incredible balance of hops and barley. The smokey hint tops it off at the aftertaste. The head is always full and rich with overwhelming aromas that make you want more. Great beer!

02-26-2012 14:36:47 | More by cccupps3
howard12

10.3.11 bottle poured into founders snifter

A -- dark reddish amber, floating bourbon particles, appears smooth yet syrupy at the same time.

S -- sweet & toasty bourbon vanilla caramel malt

T -- bourbon booze, but not too overpowering; vanilla certainly present along with malts, hint of wood seeping through

M -- surprisingly smooth, no bite until aftertaste as well as carbonation...that is when it tends to seem a bit spicy. mouthfeel is slightly boozy in a polished sort of way.

O -- love every second of this. i stumbled upon a case late last year and have 5 bottles left; will enjoy every last one of them. i thoroughly enjoy this beer, and appreciate more my chance to PLAN for having one at the end of a night, when deemed appropriate.

05-08-2012 03:10:19 | More by howard12
kapalacc

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

We weren't going to buy this after trying a 2012 at a local pub which left a tinny "ok" taste- but who knows how it spent it's last year ie storage, temperature, etc. I'm glad we gave 2013 a try because it's really a treat in a glass! Curmudgeon meets Dirty Bastard plus steroids. Poured into a snifter glass it has a really really dark amber color with very little froth line around the top. The smell is boozy but delicious. It's a beautiful blend of malty vanilla with a soft bourbon base. I don't make a lot of room on my top shelf which is crowded with stouts, but this one is near Anderson Valley's Bourbon Aged Stout, Parabola, and KBS.

11-09-2013 18:29:00 | More by kapalacc
gangstafaceclay

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

I finally got my hands on this brew that I've been dying to try at a local bar/restaurant and I was my disappointed.

Smell- oak, coco, Carmel, bourbon

Taste- wow..I was blown away, like the nose oak, Carmel, coco, some vanilla, smokiness, scotch. One of the best tasting brews I've had, hands down.

Mouthfeel- full bodied and smooth with some creaminess. So good.

Overall- this was exceeded my expectations..so complex and tasty..I didn't want to stop drinking it. Definitely one of my favorites.

03-15-2014 02:33:21 | More by gangstafaceclay
ktrillionaire

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Big thanks to htomsirveaux for sending me a few of these. I crushed them immediately!

A - Pours a beautiful ruby-mahogany hue, some small spotty lacing, a recurring patchy cap of tan froth.

S - Great barrel aroma, lots of well-placed vanilla notes, a wee bit of chocolate, rich toffee-malt; beyond superlative.

T - I am not even a malt-bomb or Wee-Heavy fan, but this stuff is amazing. Founders is ridiculous. Great and huge flavors of barrel, toffee, vanilla, booze and a small bit of smokiness to round it out. Again, mere words do not suffice...

M - Great creamy mouthfeel, nice soft effervescence; totally complementary.

D - Understatement of the year: "Founders is amazing!" JFC. Off the hook. This might be my favorite of all the Founders brews (though Nemesis is totally insane, so...)

06-15-2010 21:57:41 | More by ktrillionaire
mattboyer182

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Pours a deep mahogany/brown. Thin to no head. Yeast up a storm in this bad boy.

S - smells of pure sweet malt, dark fruits and a strong alcohol scent.

T - tastes is very sweet. Lots of wood in this. Intense alcohol bringing up the rear.

M - heavy body and light carbonation.

O - such a great style. So old and perfect for a chilly night.

09-28-2011 19:58:38 | More by mattboyer182
CrookedStill

Alabama

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottled 9/30/11 - Poured into tulip glass.

Pours a deep mahogany, a beautiful ruby when held to light, with a 1-2 finger tan head that slowly falls. Lots of lacing.

Right up front there's a lot vanilla, very oaky. Smells like a good bourbon with hints of warm caramel sweetness. One of the best smelling beers I've tried.

This is defiantly a bourbon drinkers beer. Just going to go ahead and say it here, if you don't like bourbon I seriously doubt you'll enjoy this. That being said, bourbon enthusiast, this is one for you. Right away there's that wonderful oaky vanilla sweetness that was so prominent in the nose. Behind that that there's a subtle smokiness (becoming more prominent as it warms) that really compliments the vanilla and oak. Hints of molasses and roasted malts. Alcohol is present (it is, after all, 10.2%) and lends a bit of warmth but it isn't overpowering or distracting. Finishes dry with a lingering sweetness.

Full bodied with very little carbonation. Really coats the palate.

This is the first offering I've tried from Founders and I'm an instant fan. Anyone that can make a beer like this knows what they're doing. Plain & Simple. With all that's great about this beer there are two things about it that make me sad; 1) It's only released once a year and 2) I don't have a fireplace to sit in front of (in a rocking chair of course) while sipping this wonderful drink. And at 10.2%, sipping may be the way to enjoy it.

10-17-2011 23:21:20 | More by CrookedStill