Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,025 | Reviews: 1,650

One of the best beers I've ever tasted

4.64/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On draft into a mason jar. Poured into a tulip.

Dark, ruby red in color with a sticky 1 finger head of tan foam. Sweet bourbon, vanilla, and cocoa on the nose. This beer has a wonderful aroma. Incredibly smooth and creamy mouthfeel, while not being overly dense. There's a smooth, boozy sweetness immediately upon tasting, followed by an enveloping, evolving array of choclate, vanilla, and dark fruit. These flavors only blend even better as it warms on the palate. The finish is as smooth as silk, and the aftertaste is sticky and sweet.

For anyone reading this review, trying to decide whether or not to try this beer - do it. Buy it, trade for it, whatever. I love bourbon barrel aged beers, and this is probably the most well balanced BBA brew I've ever had. Don't let the 10.2% scare you away if you don't like boozy beers. There's plenty of bourbon flavor, but little "booziness" to this beer. This one exceeded my expedcations.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this almost eight months after bottling, and perhaps that is why I was left wishing for a bit stronger bourbon flavor. Still, very good bourbon flavor, just wish it was more intense.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

In my humble opinion . . . This is the only Founders beer (so far) that lives up to the hype (no I haven't had CBS). Aromas of oak, leather and vanilla. Flavors are spot on. This is a terrific beer. So smooth and highly drinkable for a + 10% abv barrel aged beer too.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Dark and dangerous hides its abv nicely

4.84/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is exceptional and as smooth a barrel aged beer as I have ever had.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

this beer causes conflict within myself. Its a very well crafted beer, great tasting but an absolute brutal bully of a beer, even compared to the founder KBS, which is stronger but more drinkable. I dare not try more than one in an evening due to past experiences doing so, seriously, drink more than 2 of these and you are in big trouble! that being said, its still one of my favourites, especially as a sipper on a cold winter night . when used in moderation and drank slowly its a revelation, but drink with caution, the bourbon can sometimes be a little overpowering,but im aging some to see if that mellows it out a bit, but all in all its a great beer.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Although really heavy, it the taste of the vanilla kind of balance the whole beer.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not my thing but good for the style.

1.81/5  rDev -58.3%

Its' incredible how heavy this beer is. Even sipping this was impossible. Its' almost as if I was drinking Soy Sauce. I would like to point out that this is was my first heavy beer. Ill have to work my way up the line of heavy beers.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Boosie taste. This is a sipper, but a great sipper. Ages very well.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Quick review. The definition of flavor with the bourbon component is beyond compare. This beer is without a doubt the finest bourbon beer that I've tasted to date.

3.59/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

it basically tasted like straight up bourbon with a little bit of beer on top

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Track 84 in Warwick, RI:

Appearance: a dark, slightly reddish brown, with a quickly dissipating off white head. Persistent lacing throughout the beer as drunk though.

Aroma: Lots of vanilla, along with some spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. I almost always get vanilla from bourbon-aged brews, and this one was especially powerful, along with LOTS of oaky bourbon. From the smell, I expected lots of boozy heat.

Taste: Much more well-balanced than the bourbon-vanilla rich aroma given off. Really, really smooth with a nice malty backbone. Very sweet, but with quite a bit of bourbon and the vanilla mentioned above. A slow drinker, but extremely enjoyable nonetheless.

Feel: Medium-bodied, with lots of lingering bourbon heat. Creamy and smooth.

Overall: A very unique tasting brew, a little light in color and texture, but very rich in aroma and flavor.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%

Look: Sporadic foam, leaves an enticing lacing along the glass, dark brown body.
Smell: Oak, caramel, sugar.
Taste: Caramel hits you on the front, mild toffee flavor, perhaps cherry as well, kind of drops off at the end.
Feel: Medium body, kind of surprised me at first because I was expecting more of a barley wine body.
Overall: While it wasn't everything that I had hoped this did have some really enjoyable nuances on the palate. Within the style it definitely deserves commendation.

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 10/15/14. This beer definitely benefits from cellar aging (6 months in this case) as the bourbon dominated the taste when fresh.

3.11/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Not too bad. Probably would not buy a six pack though. Kentucky bourbon barrel ale is better.

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 10/01/2014, really mellowed out the bourbon

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Spicy bourbon heat with buried raisin, dark fruit, and caramel notes.

4.81/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

In bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a dark mahogany brown, approaching black. A nice head leaves delicate lacing on the glass.

S: Bourbon. Delicious oaky bourbon plus alcohol, with undertones of malts and light hops.

T: Just a glorious beer, boozy with a wonderful bourbon flavor on top of the malts and caramel of the wee heavy. Mild hop bitterness at the finish keeps it honest.

F: Thick and chewy, moderate carbonation and smooooth.

O: One of my favorites, and great quality as expected from Founders. Serve at cellar temperature for best flavor, and if you like bourbon aged beers this is one of the best. It really works well with the wee-heavy style and the malts are dominant but there's definite complexity once you get past the alcohol. Boozy and delicious. It mellows a little bit with a few extra months of aging but it rarely lasts long enough in my house to get there.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm normally not a Scotch Ale fan but this one knocks it out of the park!!!

4.99/5  rDev +15%

Really one of the best BB brews (brews in general really) out there. Pour this one into a tulip after dinner, sit by the fireplace with a good book, sip, and let how lucky you are to be alive sink in.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this from a 12 oz. bottle and on tap at the Bryant lake Bowl.
A: Brilliant chestnut under a half inch light tan foam collar.
S: bourbon, alcohol, rich malt.
T: Alcoholic, definite bourbon, some chocolate notes, kettle sugars, malty-grainy spice, bitter finish, vanilla.
F: Chewy, smooth, medium carbonation,
O: Manages a three way balance between the hops, the alcohol and the bitters. A pleasant after dinner beer.

1.72/5  rDev -60.4%

I tried this beer and thought I was going to hurl after I finished 3/4 of it. Being the man that I am, I gave it another try and got to 1/2. Yeah, I got half this down then I puked up the two bags of BBQ corn nuts I had just eaten.

So after that happened and me being the man I am I went back to the other 1/2 and finished it.

Was it the BBQ corn nuts? I don't know, but I'm calling it like I see it. This had a water whiskey flavor and a fierce alcohol burn. Who drinks this? It doesn't make you a man. This is for bastards...literally.

Yeah, my review was harsh but so was this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Not sure why more wee heavy's don't get barrel-aged.

This is a thick, rich, malty gem that I hope I will be able to try again some day.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company