Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Backwoods BastardFounders Backwoods Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -71.2%

1.27/5  rDev -70.7%

Appearance: The best part of this beer. The color is a lovely brown with hints of copper around the edges.

Smell: Like sticking your head in a bourbon barrel. I couldn't detect any malt at all.

Taste: Like being drowned in a bourbon barrel. It overpowers everything. I could not taste any malt, peat or caramel.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thin and watery, adding to the feeling of drinking a big glass of watered down bourbon.

Overall: The bourbon is overpowering. I suspect that if you have bottles and age it for a year or two it'll taste great but it is not good fresh. I love Founder's beers and was excited to finally get to try something other than the breakfast stout. I am, however, very much disappointed. Beer should taste like beer. If I wanted a glass of bourbon, I would have purchased a glass of bourbon.

1.75/5  rDev -59.7%

1.75/5  rDev -59.7%

Picked up a bottle of this from Abe's in Bethlehem. I liked the dirty bastard a lot so I figured I would like this. Cost me about $3. 12 oz short brown bottle, twist off lid, poured into a snifter.

Mahogany color with off-white head. Looks pretty nice. The bubbles look somewhat similar to a guinness head forming, at least in the commercials. Good retention (considering the ABV) and lots of lacing. Looks very nice.

The smell reminded me how much I hate whiskey. This is aged in bourbon barrels, but I don't know the difference between bourbon and whiskey and it just smelled like whiskey to me. No malts. No hops. Just whiskey.

The taste is even worse. This beer is so one-sided, at least for me. I can't get over the bourbon taste. It overpowers everything. Where are the kettle-carmelized malts? What happened to the beer parts of this beer? As it sat the bourbon seemed to mellow out a bit but wasn't replaced by anything. Maybe I was just tasting the beer less with time.

Mouthfeel was too thin for the style, but the mistake seems hardly noticeable.

Drinkability is low. This one is almost up there with triple bock, though this at least tastes like something someone (not me) would want to drink. One of the few beers I actually poured out. I was very disappointed in this one, but I probably shouldn't have been so surprised. If you like bourbon, you will probably like this but I still think the dirty bastard is a far superior brew. At least I got a cool bottle out of it (the newer style label).

1.93/5  rDev -55.5%

Just opened a fresh 2010 bottle.

Tasted like Bourbon + water; like a mixed drink instead of a beer. This is the first beer from Founders that I didn't really enjoy.

I've heard it gets much better with age, so the rest of the four pack is going into the beer fridge, but I am sorely disappointed as I tried hard to find this four-pack.

After trying (and loving) Founder's Dirty Bastard, I decided to give this beer a try, given that it's basically a Dirty Bastard aged in bourbon barrels. I bought this beer wanting to like it, but I wound up disliking it. Here's why:

A: The appearance is the best thing about this beer. It appears opaque, but upon holding it up to a light one can make out a faint, light, ruby-colored hue on the edges. The center is still dark, however.

S: The vanilla and molasses are overpowering (emphasis on overpowering). I don't mind hints of vanilla in my beer (or molasses, for that matter), but I certainly don't want it to wreak of vanilla beans. And, rather than compliment the vanilla, the molasses winds up producing a sickly-smelling sweetness that can only be equated to old cough syrup.

T: Yes, bourbon is clearly present. Therefore, it's reasonable that the beer should taste of oak and vanilla. However, the flavors are not balanced well, and, rather than compliment the Scottish ale, the vanilla and oak (i.e., the bourbon) wind up totally masking the presence of good beer. The alcohol content - which is quite heavy - also takes away from the ale's original flavor. I like Dirty Bastard far more than this beer.

M: The mouthfeel is OK. The excess sugars give the beer a syrupy composition that lies heavily on the tongue, but the taste was so bad that I just wanted to gulp the beer down and be done with it.

O: I would avoid it, but a lot of people like this beer. I would just recommend getting bourbon, since the bourbon in this beer is so overpowering that it hinders much of the ale-taste found in Dirty Bastard.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company