Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Backwoods BastardFounders Backwoods Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros
Rifugium

2.23/5  rDev -48.5%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Definitely the "least good" of any Founders brews I've had. Poured a reddish-mahogany color, muddy, with a spotty white head that receded to a layer of patchy bubbles. Booze-heavy aroma, almost straight bourbon, big and woody (there's a B&B joke in there somewhere). Let's be honest: this tasted like a cheap boilermaker, big on the booze, eliminating almost all complexity that might exist. Tones of oak-aged vanilla come through, but the bourbon just kills the palate almost completely. Tasted way higher in alcohol content than it actually was. Thinner than most Scottish ales I've had, but certainly not as good as some. The texture is more what I'd like to have in that it wasn't too syrupy, and certainly not as peaty, but it just didn't work with the intensity of the booze flavor. Not very good, not very drinkable, and I'll be happy never having it again. Sorry, Founders.

10-26-2011 23:48:02 | More by Rifugium
Avantyawn

2.23/5  rDev -48.5%

A: Deep brown red, barely any head

S: Nutty, smoky, malty, bourbon, molasses

T: Tastes a bit like a watery bourbon cocktail. Tastes sloppy. The bourbon flavor is overwhelming. Why do I only taste the bourbon and not any of the awesome base beer here? Doesn't work.

M: Mouthfeel is too thin , a bit too dry, not melded together well. Tastes like a mixed drink gone flat.

O: Overall, I really did not enjoy this beer, a rarity as I always enjoy Founders beers. I don't get the melding of flavors, they don't seem to work in my opinion. I love Dirty Bastard, but do not dig this.

11-29-2011 00:36:08 | More by Avantyawn
charlesw

2.3/5  rDev -46.9%

Deep brown amber. Small head even with great lengths taken.

Smells of mineral spirits.

Kind of weird in the mouth. Sweet and thick, chocolate milk, hot alcohol. Not what I expected at all. Some bourbon especially in the aftertaste (back and sides of the mouth) along with a lingering bitterness.

I have absolutely no idea why this is classified, here, today, as a Scotch Ale.

Too sweet and thick, not enough flavor, misplaced bourbon (to try to hide the hot alcohol?).

Bleh.

04-29-2009 22:58:56 | More by charlesw
Murchmac

2.38/5  rDev -45%

Well Younger35, you can't win them all.

The picture of Gandalf the Grey as a hillbilly farmer on the label should give it away. Pours a brownish brackish like the marsh lands frodo crossed with Sean Astin.

Smells cloying and sweet? Redundant, Gollum Gollum.

Tastes sticky icky sweet and alcoholy, like a pint from the green dragon and the bartendress that samwise gange eventually marries.

Aftertaste of stinginess, the beer turns blue when orcs are near.

I can see how some people like this beer, for me, it's like Mordor where the very air you breathe is poison.

04-14-2009 04:28:47 | More by Murchmac
Jacurdy60

Alabama

2.39/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A-Deep ruby read with a bubbly head. Poor retention and little to no lacing at all.

S-Srong, potent scotch whisky and vanilla

T-Followed the nose, mostly. Some banana was in there as well

MF-Too carbonated and crisp, I was expecting something smoother

O-I did not enjoy this beer at all. It might be because I dislike liquor and it strongly resembled a scotch whisky. I guess this kind of beer is not my style, and now I definitely know so.

03-03-2013 02:53:59 | More by Jacurdy60
Cresant

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. The body was cloudy and the color of brown leather. The modest head faded to a filmy ring.

Smell was bourbon. Only bourbon.

Taste was a bourbon smack in the face. There was a lingering sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium to full in body. I have to say I "don't get" this one. Seem one dimensional to me. Too much up front bourbon flavor. I prefer muted bourbon notes, not feeling like I'm drinking a mixed drink.

02-10-2009 17:00:07 | More by Cresant

TerrapinWakenBake

12-10-2012 22:27:36 | More by TerrapinWakenBake
Pinknuggets

2.53/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottle to fiddlehead pint glass

A: light brown color with ruby red accent thin tan head that dissipates quickly

S: reeks of booze smells more like a malt liquor then beer

T:follows the nose tastes like like burning alc liquor wasn't this barrel aged? Maybe it needs some more time there is dense wood like flavor but alc is really just overwhelming here

M: thin and light bit too heavy would be drinkable if it wasn't for the alc

O: well this totally sucked maybe its not my style but just tasted like liquor not beer maybe it needs time to mellow out or the style isn't for me but I hated it

11-13-2012 00:59:31 | More by Pinknuggets
KingMoomie

2.6/5  rDev -40%

For me, this is a classic example of how a beer can change year by year.

When I heard that Backwoods Bastard was coming in this week, I was very excited. Founders is one of my favorite breweries, and I have loved this beer since the first year it was released.

I grabbed a bottle to drink at the bar, and everything started out good. The appearance was fine, just as I remembered, with a slightly dark color and a great bourbon nose.

I was talking to someone when I took my first sip, but I immediately realized that something was different.

Keep in mind that I do love bourbon aged beers, this was different. From the first sip you get an extreme booziness that dominates the beer. I tried to think back if I had ever thought it was this way in previous years, and decided I had not.

After passing it around for others to try and coming to the same conclusion, I finished it myself, but not in the way I envisioned.

The mouthfeel was fine, but as far as drinkability, it comes up far short.

As much as it pains to do, I have to review this beer poorly, and will be waiting until next year's batch to try it again.

11-19-2009 18:10:25 | More by KingMoomie
LiquidBread219

2.6/5  rDev -40%

A= It was dark in color like a brown. No real head.

S= The only thing I smell in this beer is bourbon.

T= The taste is the same as the nose bourbon and that's about it.

M= Right amount of Carbonation for this beer.

D= A lot of people like this beer but I just don't like it at all hard to get through IMO. I have a few bottles left I'll gift them and probably won't try this one again.

12-02-2010 08:26:39 | More by LiquidBread219
robbyc1

2.63/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Clear amber, decent lace. Nothing special.

Nose has an intriguing oak waft, like fresh oak, with a slight bit of bourbon. Not sure where the actual beer is.

The Oak hits hard up front, with the bourbon to follow, but they linger because the actual beer does not hold up - the storage tastes dominate, and leave this taste very unbalanced, some hops noticiable at the end with slight malt, but malt looses the battle here.

Mouthfeel is good with heaviness, but the drinkability suffers greatly from the lack of balance, you would have to be eating a wood grilled fish to enjoy this, couldn't finish the bottle.

The un-oaked version of this is much better.

03-27-2009 14:57:17 | More by robbyc1
CHSLBrew

2.7/5  rDev -37.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Poured with a dark tan/khaki head which receded quickly, probably owing to the higher ABV, eventually down to pretty much nothing. Virtually opaque brown beer with slight garnet highlights and an eerie, swampy glow.

S-Vanilla oakiness, slightly woody right away. Dark and sweet, like a rich sugar candy, with a bit of tasty sugar and a hit of spirits.

T-The oakiness stands prominently forefront in this beer. Oaky vanilla character pairs with a large malty-sugary sweetness. Bitterness seems to derive from several aspects, a bit from the oak, a bit from the alcohol, and minimally from the hops. Malty-boozy notes rise later in the flavor finishing residaully oaky and alcohol.

M-Full-bodied beer feels solid, slow-moving, and sticky. Carbonation was predictably low-level.

D-This beer is not very drinkable by the standards of high ABV brews. The alcohol was very prominent, and the barrel aging seemed to give it a bit too much of a harsh spirit-like quality.

04-07-2010 16:19:27 | More by CHSLBrew