Join our email list →

Michigan, United States | website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy | 11.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.
Reviews: 1,706 | Hads: 7,578
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I was excited to finally get to try one of Founders barrel aged beers, and I think I'm most surprised by how subtle this beer is. The bourbon isn't so in-your-face, but it's integrated so well into the whole that I feel as if that's for the best. It's no bourbon bomb, but it's an extraordinarily balanced beer, and I can't find much- if any- fault with it.

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle, chilled. Golden-brown with very little head. Huge bourbon aroma with caramel and sweet fruit notes. Taste includes toffee, marmelade, caramel, brown sugar, maple syrop, and vanilla, and leaves some bitterness on the throat. Medium carbonation with a full-bodied, syropy feel. Overall a nice example of bourbon flavor showing up on the nose but not as much on the tongue. A somewhat bitter scotch ale that's a sipper, and would go nicely with a cigar or a dessert.

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle. Scotch Wee Heavy. Pours a nice amber red. Full 2 fingers of head that lingered. Smells of sugars and bourbon. Much like a traditional scotch wee heavy. Taste is thicker than expected. Bourbon upfront and bourbon on the back end. Tastes like a barleywine to me though. Good but not great. Sweet sugars and bourbon. I'll pass next time.

3.24/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Founders.

L: dark brown, thin white head
S: bourbon, caramel, maple syrup
T: mostly bourbon, hint of caramel
F: on the heavy side

Not a big fan. Too sweet and too much bourbon.

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This was my first foray into a high gravity scotch ale. I partook of this beer on tap at Yia Yia's in Lincoln Nebraska. The draw I had exhibited a very nice appearance whose head left behind respectable lacing. The nose and flavor of this beer are very alcoholic, which is to be expected at 12% plus ABV. Although it is interesting, the intrigue to want to try it again just isn't there.

4.96/5  rDev +16.7%

Looks brick reddish brown, no head typical of her style

Smells amazing! Heavy oak and bourbon action!

Taste is other worldly. I love wee heavies and this brings it to another level.

Mouthfeel. Baa. Whatever.

Overall. The more I drink it the more I want to rock a kilt. Such a treasure and kudos to founders for making an exceptional brew. It can't be easy and I guess that's why it's only available once a year.

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Genty poured into chalice. No head, fizzy lacing that dissipates. Deep brown, ruby-brown when held to light.

Smells of molasses and dark malty ale, chocolate and toffee, like a tray of brown sweets at Christmas. Indicative of its style.

Taste: syrupy mash, rich creamy chocolate, roast toffee, very full bodied. Soft custard aftertaste.

Feel: pretty smooth. The savory flavors are soft on the palette. The only carbonated bite comes from the faint ale taste.

More personality than its exemplary but standard Founders cohorts Curmudgeon (Old Ale) and Dirty Bastard (another Wee Heavy). If you're a fan of the style, it is essential drinking. If you like dark rich beers in general, it will likely tickle your fancy. Serve it at your next Samhain.

4.61/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: dark amber with a thin light-colored meniscus for a head that leaves an equally thin lace
S: malt, whiskey, malt again, whiskey again... I could smell this all day
T: a robust and mature malt bill, whiskey, raisins, currants, oak, coffee, a little bit of smoke, pepper, molasses, brown sugar
M: more chewy than I was anticipating but in a very good way, it's got good girth to it
O: start to finish this was a very complete beer and great example of the style; it warmed the cockles of my heart and I'm very grateful to Kyle for it.

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

WOW! Not sure what else to say here. I got to enjoy one bottle of this and was sadly hooked with no where to get a fix! (We got 1 case of it in our entire town) Then next thing you know we go to Round table to get a salad and low and behold founders is doing a tap take over there (WTF?) To say the least I was the only guy to ask for it properly served in a tulip glass (They had some) Also I was told I drank most of the keg lmao.

Pours a nice caramel brown from the tap and bottle. The tap had more Head Retention then the bottle. On the nose you are left diving into the depths with bourbon and sweet oakey vanilla up front, followed by caramel and some chocolate. ( at least i was) The mouth feel is very warm and creamy, emphasis on the boozy warmth. Great for a cold evening! get hints of smokeyness as well. Taste wise, i got the same as on the nose but with a bit more maltiness then what I picked up on the nose. Absolutely wonderful and a great pleasure to get to enjoy it while it was here!

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, red brown with a short tan head that dissipates leaving a little lacing, clear

S: malty, oak, bourbon, bread, prunes, raisins, vanilla, chocolate covered cherries

T: cherries, raisins, bourbon, oak, prunes, vanilla, chocolate, smoky peat

M: full and heavy, lower carbonation, alcohol well hidden

O: Fantastic beer with a wealth of flavor complexity. Perfect for a cold winter evening.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Cloudy dark amber in color, with a massive and somewhat coarse tan head, with good persistence.

Aroma: A spicy-sweet bourbon-like alcohol note dominates the aroma. Raisins, wood, vanilla, and earth are also notable.

Taste: The taste begins with sweet, vinous and spicy alcohol, roasted malt, and earth. As the taste progresses, wood infused bourbon notes advance, offering a slightly sweet and very complex undercurrent. As the taste progresses, the bourbon notes vie with the wood to provide a complex melange. Late in the taste, there is a surprising note of toasted coconut. The finish is dominated by wood notes and sweet alcohol.

Mouth feel: Wonderfully full, very soft and pleasing.

Drinkability/notes: Simply wonderful, in a world of overpriced and mediocre craft beer, this is an elegant and over-the-top example of what craft beer can be when craftsmanship is applied.

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice. Bottled on date is 09/24/15.. This was my 1500th review on Beer Advocate.

This is my first perfect 5! Deep ruby and brown. Smell of toasted marshmallow, lots of vanilla, and a hint of bourbon. Tastes even better with all those aromas highlighted even more. Smooth and creamy, medium full body. As of now, this sets the bar for my favorite beer ever! Thank you Founder's for coming to California. The hype is real. Cheers!

4.66/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Completely opaque brown. Low head retention with fast rising bubbles.

S - Planty, with notes of bread, prunes, plums, and bourbon.

T - Spicy and woody with prunes. Bitterness is restrained. Mild alcohol presence.

M - Mouth coating thickness. Some carbonation burn with short finish.

O - A strong, interesting and tasty brew. Not an everyday beer for me, but good for the occasional enjoyment.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

A: opaque; brown or deep amber with ruby accents at the edges; 1 finger khaki head that receded to a splotchy cap; very nice lacing;

S: vanilla, dark fruit, molasses, and caramel;

T: caramel, vanilla, molasses, fruitcake, and bourbon; relatively sweet up front with mild bitterness on the finish;

M: medium to full bodied; moderate carbonation; dry finish; smooth; for 11.6% ABV, alcohol is warming, but relatively well hidden;

O: very nice, complex aromas and flavors;

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle to snifter. Bottled 9-13-15. This is a top shelf B.W. ! some roasted nut, some dried fruit. The mouthfeel is smooth and thick. This is a phenomenally tasty Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy. This years was on POINT !!!

4.59/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled in 10/15. Poured a 3 inch head(! [my fiance poured in her "from higher is better" method]) into a tulip.
Look: Deep dark reddish mahogany.
Smell: Oak, tobacco, sweet earth, and yes, heaven.
Taste: Again, heaven. Oak, sweet malt,bourbon, vanilla, more tobacco, an earthy quality in the best way. The best scotch ale I have ever had, aged or otherwise. There's a lot of complexity there, and I feel like I want to compare it to HotD Adam, even though they're not the same style. Just alot going on.
Mouthfeel: Sufficiently viscous, coats the tongue. Enough of a burn to let you know this sucker's packing heat.
Overall: Quite possibly my favorite beer. The only reason I don't give it a perfect 5 is because it gives me no room to go up. This just ticks all the boxes. I don't usually buy the same beer twice in a row so I can change it up, but I bought Backwoods Bastard 3 times. Have one left in the fridge (time hasn't seemed to detract from any of its glowing qualities) and I'm going to age two bottles. I've heard negative things about aging it, but what the heck.

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Honestly I am not a huge bourbon fan. I did want to try this because I very much enjoy Founders and all the brews they crank out. Unfortunately, this was the first one that I have come across that I just really couldn't enjoy. I know there are many people out there that love this stuff, I just am not a fan of bourbon beers.
I did pick up some nice vanilla notes and I liked the consistency, but I enjoyed Dirty Bastard far more.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

My favorite bourbon barrel beer. The backbone of a scotch ale, but the beautiful, powerful bourbon comes through perfectly. While many reviews of bourbon aged beers include vanilla notes, this beer is bursting with vanilla. Pours the same beautiful red as dirty bastard. An epic experience in every bottle.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

355ml bottle from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow (£4.80):
Another excellent Founders beer, one of their best yet. Tonnes of complexity with good roasted malts, dark fruits & sweetness apparent throughout. Easy to drink despite the strong abv., the balance is excellent too & it's definitely a beer I'll be on the look out for again.

4.42/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I purchased this at Consumer's Beverages in Buffalo and really enjoyed this beer. The bourbon barrel aging really comes through. The taste was smooth, a tad sweet, but the bourbon and alcohol content balances this well. Absolutely will look for this again.

Clear dark brown pour with a tan one-finger head. Strong aroma of alcohol and caramel. Taste has a strong bourbon flavor upfront backed by sweet malty flavors of caramel and bread. Can also taste some light earthy bitterness but the bourbon flavor dominates from start to finish ending with an alcohol warmth in the throat.

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Beer bought at Trader Moe's in Lee, Massachusetts, my home town and home of Moe's Tavern on 12/30/15. Beer was bottled on 09/24/15. Opened it up and took a good sniff while it was in the bottle. I could smell the oak from the barrel eminating from bottle. Poured into a glass and saw a one and a half finger head form. It disapated after a few moments. Left decent lacing in the glass as I sipped it. As I sipped it I got a mouth full of Bourbon and some dark fruit notes. Mostly Bourbon though.
By comparison, New Holland Brewing Dragon's Milk is a close second to this beer.
Overall an excellent beer on this fine New Years Eve. Would definitely buy this again.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz, bottled 09/30/2015. My first time drinking this beer.

Look: Pours a cloudy amber color, but clears when it warms. A small amount of light-caramel-colored head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves behind a thin ring at the edges. No lacing to speak of when swirled.

Aroma: Very nice: fresh, boozy, dark fruit, reminds me of a well done old ale.

Taste: Very sweet (perhaps caramel) and somewhat boozy, with dark fruits, and as others have mentioned, a bit of butterscotch.

Mouth-feel: medium, slick (almost buttery), and very smooth.

Overall: After all the hype, and waiting a few months to drink this beer, I have to say that it lives up to the expectations: it is a quality beer, and I have never had anything quite like it. I Look forward to seeing how this ages.

One of my absolute favorite beers. This has in incredible flavor and the bourbon barrel aging adds an unusual smoothness to this beer. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - A deep amber/burgundy/brown'ish type color. Not much head to speak of. Alcohol legs.
Smell - Could have smelled this all night long!! WOW! Tons of caramel/toffee/almond & bourbon on the nose. A fantastic smelling beer.
Taste - Follows the nose beautifully. Bourbon, caramel, toffee, molasses, vanilla, oakiness

Overall - OUTSTANDING! I will seek this out every year from here on out.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company