Microbrew Invitational

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

Reviews: 1,739 | Ratings: 7,723
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz, bottled 09/30/2015. My first time drinking this beer.

Look: Pours a cloudy amber color, but clears when it warms. A small amount of light-caramel-colored head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves behind a thin ring at the edges. No lacing to speak of when swirled.

Aroma: Very nice: fresh, boozy, dark fruit, reminds me of a well done old ale.

Taste: Very sweet (perhaps caramel) and somewhat boozy, with dark fruits, and as others have mentioned, a bit of butterscotch.

Mouth-feel: medium, slick (almost buttery), and very smooth.

Overall: After all the hype, and waiting a few months to drink this beer, I have to say that it lives up to the expectations: it is a quality beer, and I have never had anything quite like it. I Look forward to seeing how this ages.

One of my absolute favorite beers. This has in incredible flavor and the bourbon barrel aging adds an unusual smoothness to this beer. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look - A deep amber/burgundy/brown'ish type color. Not much head to speak of. Alcohol legs.
Smell - Could have smelled this all night long!! WOW! Tons of caramel/toffee/almond & bourbon on the nose. A fantastic smelling beer.
Taste - Follows the nose beautifully. Bourbon, caramel, toffee, molasses, vanilla, oakiness

Overall - OUTSTANDING! I will seek this out every year from here on out.

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown pour with beige head; thin cap; thick lace; very good clarity. Sweet malt and bourbon nose. Toffee flavor with a boozy bite; bourbon with smooth oaky vanilla notes. Creamy, medium plus mouthfeel; moderate carbonation; alcohol bite on tip of tongue. Overall quite good with toffee and bourbon linger.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz. bottle ( yay for Wegmans re-stocking this!) into a Teku.

Look: Dark, dark, dark. The head is a dark khaki color with half a finger of dense head that subsides relatively quickly, as expected for a high ABV beer.

Smell: Wow. Chocolate, vanilla, single malt scotch, a bit of brown sugar and a bit of spice.

Taste: This beer is a bourbon bomb. Getting a ton of vanilla, chocolate, coconut, and a malted milk ball taste. A bit of a smokey taste in the background.

Feel: Feels a bit thin to me but not too thin for the style. It would certainly be a bit thicker if it wasn't for the barrel aging. This beer would be a solid 5 all around if it was just a tad thicker.

Overall: This beer is one of my favorites. I could drink this everyday and never get sick of it! I was fortunate enough to get a good bit of this this year. I'm definitely going to grab this whenever I see it.

4.42/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle to snifter. Bottled 9-13-15.

I'm a big old chubb boy, eh, wording.... and had high hopes for this scotch ale. Here goes...

Poured black though when held up to the light you can see your finger through and it appears amber... no head and smells great off the bat. The mouthfeel is much thinner than I expected but light and compliments the flavors well. As far as the flavor... this is a great, great scotch ale. Vanilla and piney/woodsy, without the generic piney taste you might find in other lesser wintery brews. The bourbon is there too, it is there hard and warms my cold heart. The breadiness, breadness? dark fruitcake breadyness on the back end is a great ending.

I'm going to enjoy having these in the hopster beer fridge, as I watch the Mrs. do a number on my IPAs not knowing what she's missing.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Brown pour, dark and earthy, producing an average beige head. Aroma was great, solid bourbon forward, malty, earthy. Lots of caramel and toffee.

Sweet taste, not peaty, earthy goes smooth, bourbon without the sting. This and CW bal scotch are elite 1st tier bal scotch ales.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a snifter, bottled on 10/06/2015.

Appearance: Pours a hazy ruby with 1/2 finger of head that recedes to a fine film around the edge.

Smell: Oaky with plenty of malt and peat

Taste: Barrel character up front with vanilla and american oak pronounced then some malt in the middle with a warm finish

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than id like but ill chalk this up to the length of time in the barrels

Overall: Scotch ales are one of my least favorite styles but I recognize how good dirty bastard is. This takes the style to a new level and work fantastic with the bourbon barrels. They compliment each other very well.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep rich brown, with light brown head. The aroma of booze bursts out of the glass. The taste is a luscious chocolate, some nutty-ness, some dried fruit. The mouthfeel is smooth and thick. This is a phenomenally tasty Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2015 vintage
Pours from the bottle a nearly opaque brownish-red with ruby highlights and a light tan head that quickly fades leaving plenty of lacing.
The aroma is loaded with caramel and vanilla, oak and a whisp of booze.
Tasty brew with caramel and toffee flavors leading the way and then the flavors of the barrel -- oak and vanilla and bourbon. A touch of dark fruit as it warms and a pleasing bitterness. Plenty of taste from the barrel but not overly boozy.
Mouthfeel is medium and smooth.
Outstanding brew.

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, viscious amber with a good measure of foam. Lots of vanilla bourbon on the nose, a little caramel & the oak. Malt is there but buried. Incredibly smooth beer, the vanilla really comes out, and has a flavor akin to the burnt top-layer of a creme brûlée. Definitely a good hint of caramel malt, full-bodied and chewy despite the smooth texture. Burnt sugar is there, and the bourbon /wood flavor is also present but very well blended. It isn't overpowering at all, and compliments the malt profile of the Scotch ale style. Incredibly well blended and smooth, with great flavors. One of the better bourbon aged beers in what seems like a never ending barrage these days. Par excellence.

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a wine glass and a tumbler for comparison, because I don't have the right glassware for it here.
It's a beautiful, earthy brownish color with a thin layer of foam that sticks to the glass. In the tumbler, it almost looks like a glass of carbonated bourbon.
The smell is clearly bourbon, with its vanilla, caramel, and oak. A good amount of sweet malt as well.
The taste is top-notch. The bourbon is clearly present but without completely dominating the malt. They complement each other well. I also get caramel and sweet, dark fruit, like figs or dates.
The mouthfeel is also in line with other scotch ales, but definitely a good example of it. It's rich without feeling like it's coating my teeth and giving me cavities.
Possibly the best scotch ale I've ever had. Founders knows how to barrel age a beer, that's for sure.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, dated 9/24/15, poured into a tulip

A- A clear deep ruby red with a small off-white head.

S- Caramel malts, toffee, light smoke, bourbon, oak, very nicely balanced.

T- Toffee, caramel, hints of smoke, vanilla, bourbon, oak, touch of earthy spice.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A tasty and smooth bourbon barrel aged beer. I haven't try much in this style, by this is definitely winner. Wish I could get this in MD or DE, I would definitely pick this up every year.

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This has a nice bourbon nose and taste to it. This is a great beer to have a cigar or steak with. One of the best beers I have had this summer. Have a great day my friends.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I (finally) reviewed Dirty Bastard from a CAN, but I hold out NO hope that they will ever CAN this one. That's okay, since it still helps me to reduce the bottle backlog here at Chez Woody.

From the bottle: "Ale aged in Oak Bourbon Barrels"; "Bottled 10/10/2014".

I Pop!ped the cap and just let it sit for a moment. I went with a light pour, producing a brief finger of tawny head that quickly reduced to wisps. Color was a hazy Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27). I tried not to rouse the lees, but (un)clearly, I was unsuccessful. 8=( Nose smelled like straight up, straight on bourbon! I am not a huge liquor drinker, although I have an affinity for rye whiskey. Bourbon is not really my thing, but I know it when I smell it. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely of bourbon, but it was much less than I remember it being a year ago. I may be losing my mind, but man, this was smooooth for 10.2% ABV! It tasted of wood, coconut, caramel,but not at all sweet. It was impressive, really. The finish was smooth, in the twilight zone of semi-sweet and semi-dry. You tell me. Wow! Just ... wow. I just kind of sat back and licked my lips and contemplated how I might possibly follow this one.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottled 9/30/2015. Poured aggresively into a Duvel tulip.

Look -- One finger of quickly dissipating tan head. I can't fault the quickly disappearing head given the ABV of this brew. The body of the beer is a beautiful deep ruby. Forget rose colored glasses, this is what I want to see the world through.

Smell -- Bourbon is dominate, there is no questioning that this beer is bourbon barrel aged. Hints of malt sweetness peek out at your from behind the bourbon like a bashful cheerleader.

Taste -- Bourbon, lots and lots of bourbon. Hints of caramel mesh with vanilla and a delightful bitterness underlays everything and lingers playfully for the next sip. Hints of smoke.

Feel -- Wonder luscious body from both the gravity of the beer and a lazy but present carbonation.

Overall -- You have the silky rich body of a wee heavy combined with upfront bourbon. The malt is a perfect foundation to enhance and allow the bourbon to shine. Beer and bourbon had a baby and it's beautiful but it quite obviously takes after the bourbon. If I wanted the bourbon to be the supporting character rather than star element I'd probably be disappointed. I'm perfectly content with the bourbon being the star, but it's something for anyone considering picking up this beauty of a beer to keep in mind.

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a solid beer. It poured a rich amber with white head that did not leave much head. The scent and taste had a strong bourbon base. The mouthfeel was fuller in body with smooth carbonation. Overall this beer is fantastic and borders a barley wine. Probably one of the best wee heavys ive ever had.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Anything put out by Founders deserves recognition. This is not an exception to that statement. This beer caters to those attracted to the style. Unique.

this is a really tasty brew, the color is black and when you put it to the light it is an amber color with visible particles all over. i poured into a snifter and it gave me about 3 inches of a cream color head that went away quickly. and once i put it up to my nose i get the aromas of maple syrup, molasses, and dark fruits like fig. the taste of bourbon is noticable and you get a bit of sweetness at the end. i have to slowly consume my last three bottles of this lovely brew.

4.42/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured an amber-brown to full brown, clear, with about a half inch head that dissipated within 20 to 30 seconds.

Aroma-wise, it smells of molasses, burnt caramel, and toffee. Very Christmasy in its own way.

The flavor is intensely malty, with chocolate notes mixing with raisin bread and spice cake like some kind of dessert explosion. However, it's not sweet per se. Somehow it all works beautifully.

The feel is quite nice. Smooth, luxurious, like the leather armchair I want to be sitting in when I enjoy this.

I don't always drink malty beers, but when I do...

4.98/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into that weird, tall Crate & Barrel glass.

A - Pours a deep, glowing garnet brown. Half-finger beige head.

S - Tons of raisins and currants, toffee, dry caramel, vanilla, slight oak tannins.

T - A deep, viscous caramelly malt character blooms out of the front palate. The line between the malt and oak is completely blurred, but it combines with a rich, extreme sweetness. The chewy dark fruit tones characteristic of Dirty Bastard develop, but have a port-wine-esque heft to them in conjunction with the barrel. The sweetness builds a bit, and the flavors all begin to blur and mingle. The bourbon heat rears its head in the late palate, but remains subtle. The finish is rife with dark fruit, and ultimately the booze and caramel win out.

M - Full-bodied, almost cloyingly sweet. Alcohol burn coats the palate with a slight tingle.

O - The numerous flavors here intertwine beautifully and create a huge dimension to this brew. Oh so rich and takes you places. One of the finest beers I've ever had.

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 9/25/15, poured into snifter. Light pour, so no read head, but some white bubbles lay on top of a mahogany body that is ruby red when held up to the light.
Aroma of vanilla, bourbon, some smoke, caramel.
Taste is similar, fantastic notes of dark fruit as well, definitely a sipper, also a little higher in carbonation than expected.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours deep dark red with a fluffy, creamy, khaki colored head. Smells boastfully of dark fruit, vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Taste is bitter and oaky, with vanilla, toffee, bourbon and dark dried fruit, almost like a dried fig or plum flavor, with a slightly chocolate aftertaste. Feels light bodied, slightly creamy with moderate carbonation. Overall, a great beer. Full flavored, abv covered up well, looks awesome, feels good. If you like these strong intense flavors, then this is a really good beer.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

At first whiff, I was certain the whiskey would dominate and I would not like this. I'm not a fan of whiskey of any kind, so the whole bourbon-barrel-aging craze is something of an anathema to me.

However... having now got into my 3rd 4-pack of this stuff, I keep coming back for more. Pours a dark mahogany with a thin off-white top and some nice lacing. Aroma is dominated by whiskey, but smoothed out by malt and caramel. Flavor is similar in that whiskey dominates, but even more so the malty goodness rounds things out with a nice sweetness. Above all, this is one of the smoothest-sipping beers I've ever had. The creamy mouthfeel, and ease with which this swallows is amazing.

I suspect that were this not put in a bourbon barrel, it could possibly be by far my favorite scotch ale.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours opaque amber, very thin head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is oak and brown sugar. Taste is bourbon barrel forward, nice rich buttery finish. Body stands up to the alcohol, a brilliantly executed bottle.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company