Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Backwoods BastardFounders Backwoods Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros

4.01/5  rDev -7.6%

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

We weren't going to buy this after trying a 2012 at a local pub which left a tinny "ok" taste- but who knows how it spent it's last year ie storage, temperature, etc. I'm glad we gave 2013 a try because it's really a treat in a glass! Curmudgeon meets Dirty Bastard plus steroids. Poured into a snifter glass it has a really really dark amber color with very little froth line around the top. The smell is boozy but delicious. It's a beautiful blend of malty vanilla with a soft bourbon base. I don't make a lot of room on my top shelf which is crowded with stouts, but this one is near Anderson Valley's Bourbon Aged Stout, Parabola, and KBS.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really impressed by this beer. Poured from bottle into a snifter.
Pours a nice deep, red color with minimal head.
Aromas are sweet, roasted malts, alcohol, oak.
Taste is in your face, I immediately picked up the bourbon and oakiness. Once my palate settled a bit, I got notes of vanilla, some deep roasted malt, some hints of chocolate.
Mouthfeel was silky.
Overall, a very well made beer. Impressive. Alcohol forward and in your face. Delicious.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Old Toad in Rochester, NY, for their Bourbon and Blues night.

Pours a dark brown, clear-ish color. Somewhat hazy. Half inch head, a small amount of visible carbonation. Not much lacing.

Smells like bourbon, some cocoa, and vanilla.

Tastes incredible. So smooth and sultry- Lots of bourbon flavor, without any alcohol burn. Very subtle, smooth, and sweet. Additional flavors of molasses, caramel coconut, vanilla, and cocoa.

Medium-full mouthfeel, low but present carbonation.

A truly exceptional scotch ale/wee heavy. Founder brought the big guns here.

4.64/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Backwoods Bastard! I've always loved beer, but over the past 8 months or so I've really gotten into great beers. One of my staples has been Dirty Bastard. I've been waiting for this brew for a while.

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a mahogany red. A small khaki head forms at the last minute.

S- Smells like creme brulee. Hits strong with caramel and brown sugar. The vanilla comes in next. A bready malt finishes. I am know primed for my first sip!

T- Everything I hoped for and more. Like the smell, a hearty caramel and brown sugar is the first thing I taste. Dried dates are present, and then the vanilla and bourbon appears. These flavors mesh for a moment, leading way to a decidedly scotch/bourbon finish. Delicious. This is what a beer should taste like!

M-Thick with little carbonation. Really lets you have it sit on your tongue while you take in its flavor.

O- DB was one of my favorites to this point, and BB has solidified itself as my favorite brew to this point in time. Would seek this out year after year. Thanks Founders!!!

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Definitely one of the top three beers I have had the pleasure of drinking. I am not a liquor drinker, however I can most certainly taste and feel the bourbon from the pour to my belly. Amazing balance of hops, malts and other flavors (of which I am unfortunately not qualified to differentiate). Suffice it to say that I am very excited about this beer and wishing that I have purchased more than three four packs!

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company