Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,855 | Reviews: 1,622

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

8/9/13 (update is below)
On tap at Merchant, Madison, for a Founders Great Taste of the Midwest Preparty.. Perhaps this score has taken a bit of a hit b/c I'm so disappointed in being turned away at the door -- I forgot Merchant takes reservations, and even at 5:30 with 3/4 of the restaurant empty, we can't get a table. HOWEVER, my wife and mother in law have cut me loose so I can at least get one beer at the bar.

Also sadly, they're already out of KBS (no surprise) and Doom. At least I've got a beautiful tulip glass full of Backwoods Bastard and a taste of Rubaeus.

The beer is too cold to be judged, and I've got to rejoin my people several blocks away in 15 min. Damn. This isn't an ideal scenario.

There's almost no aroma. I'm warming it w/ my hands.

Reminds me of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barley wine. Oh man, its warming up. The butterscotch and fig are emerging in the mouth. But the aroma is still rather tame.

Damn, I've gotta go. Chug a lug.

11/9/13
On tap at Dexter's, Madison. Another Founders tap takeover is a beautiful thing. And to get to take my time with this one, even better. Dexter's serves half-pours in these handsome little snifters. I'm drinking this alongside a half-snifter of Devil Dancer. What an awesome combo.

This pour is a beauty: dark-coppery brown w/ high clarity and a fluffy off-white head.

In the nose first you get ripe cherry--a big old waft of cherry that's just really remarkable. Then bourbon and buttery caramel and a bit of umami and vanilla that's somewhat sickeningly sweet.

Surprisingly roasty-sweet malt first on the front of the tongue. Then that stone fruit from the aroma coats the mouth, with booze and hop bitterness in the finish

Near-syrup viscosity, and a bit of alcohol warmth in the throat, with mild-to-moderate carbonation.

--------------
11/6/14
I've ridden my bike all over town to score two 4-pks worth. Just a couple of tasting notes to add.

Pours into a tulip glass way darker than I remember it.

Beautiful aroma, just beautiful. Gotta raise the "smell" score.

Neither do I remember the milk chocolate flavor in the mouth.

My wife says it reminds her strikingly of Tyranena Dirty Old Man, which was a barrel-aged imperial porter. I agree.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%

A- deep ruby/amber. Thin head, almost no lacing. Head fades really fast.

S- big notes of oak and alcohol. You can definitely tell it's bourbon barrel aged. Sweet malt buried in the background with a touch of dried plum.

T- oak transfers well to the palate. There is also a decent alcohol presence. Nice vanilla notes on the finish intertwined with dark fruits.

M- full bodied with a low amount of prickly carbonation. Very warming.

O- very enjoyable. This would be perfect on a cold winter night.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a clear dark ruby, thin light brown colored head, spotty lace down the glass. Smell: caramelized sugar; mildly earthy, leafy and boozy. Bourbon, yes, not a lot from the oak. Taste: caramelized pear, dates, earthy, with notes of bourbon, vanilla, and baking spices. Sugary, candied fruit finish.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company