Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Backwoods BastardFounders Backwoods Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

12 0z 4 pack from Frugals...

A - A dark brownish black with ruby highlights. Little to no head, even with a semi aggressive pour. Thin lacing.

S - Bread, dark fruit, plum , maybe fig, vanilla bean

T- Roasted vanilla, dark fruit, back end bread, very malt forward. You do get some honey and bourbon notes, some oak. Very light alcohol presence but it is there in the faint after burn.

M - Decent amount of carbonation, trends toward the syrupy side, but not overly gooey.
Gooey. Yep, I said it.

O - A very delicious beer, one that is sweet (but not overly so) and not to be taken lightly. This, even at its high price, will be a repeat purchase.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle poured into pint glass.
Went into this loving Founders and every beer I have had by them. One of my favorite breweries.

A: Pours a deep mahogany/ dark. Red when held to light. Beautiful. Not much head in my somewhat slow pour, but when I swirl the last half inch and pour it in, a nice head forms.

S: Caramel, and malty ,with fainter notes of vanilla, possibly some pecans/ nuts and dark fruit.

T: Raw chocolate, sweet grains, brown sugar. Bourbon comes through nicely on the back end of my mouth and gives a slightly tingly feeling to it. Tastes of booze. The Syrupy booze force is strong with this one. I think this beer would really shine with age on it. Good grain and malt profile, though it's nothing that is blowing my mind.

M: Sticky, sweet, and slightly prickly and numbing (possibly due to the high ABV and the bourbon). Good carbonation. Smooth and rounded and full. Slightly chewy.

O: I enjoyed this beer a lot. I think that some age would make this brew outstanding. As it stands, I really enjoyed it, but probably won't return to it consistently this season. The syrupy factor may have overwhelmed some of the nuanced flavors this brew is capable of. I may pick another one up to taste with a friend. I still love Founders and was satisfied with this.

Shalom
J

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Botlle from 2012 vintage, bottled 10/5/12

A- A medium brown color, but gives off a dark red appearance when held to the light, sticky lace on the side of the glass

S- Vanilla, vanilla and coffee, with a not overpowering but confusing mix of oak, bourbon and scotch , and warming booze

T- Similar to the smell, Coffee with a little vanilla taking the backseat, finishes off with a definite bourbon flavor, but not overpowering and nothing like taking a sip of bourbon

M- Medium to little carbonation, silky smooth and easy to drink for the abv and the heaviness of it

O- Overall a really good Scotch Ale with the bourbon twist, out does Dirty Bastard with the barrel aging, and honestly one of the first bourbon barrel beers i've liked, dont care for bourbon, but this isn't overpowering

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

2012 vintage bottle poured into a Founders snifter

The first thing I notice when I poured this into the glass is how dark it is, not quite what I was expecting. I held the glass to the light and it almost has a ruby color. Very nice.

The smell on this is just straight up sexy. I get a little bit of the vanilla, but I smell the bourbon. It's not overpowering at all. It's light and beautiful.

The taste is wonderful, but not as good as the smell. I get the vanilla, some oak, and toasted something in the after taste. I don't know what is toasted that I taste, but its good. The bourbon also plays a big role in taste as well.

This is a beer that I can enjoy all winter long. It's a drink that I can sit with by a nice roaring fire while watching hockey or football. I can even see drinking this with some buddies while bullshitting about life.

All in all I wish my bottle shop would have more than a one bottle limit. Guess I'm gonna have to road trip it for some more.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

12oz bottle into a snifter
2012 Vintage

I rarely comment on bottles/labels, but man is that guy on the front creepy. Anyways...

A: Pours a thin appearing, very dark cherry wood color with ruby tones when held up to the light. A ring of tan head builds and quickly fades. Leaves effectively no lacing, and only very faint alcohol legs. Pretty color though.

S: Big aroma, with fresh oak, dark fruits, a touch of smoke, bourbon, nutty, vanilla cake batter. The aroma is very sweet. This is excellent.

T: The first sip is dark fruits up front and huge bourbon notes on the finish. I also get oak, a touch of bitterness, unsweetened black tea, candied pecans. I really appreciate how strong the bourbon notes are. Very well done.

M/D: Carbonation is minimal, which is appropriate. Medium bodied, but a touch thin for my liking. ABV is restrained and plays well with the palate profile. Warming as it goes down. A slow sipper, but drinkability is good.

O: Overall, this is excellent. I had heard good things, and this did not disappoint. It seems like everytime Founders puts a beer in a bourbon barrel they hit a home run. I highly recommend and will certainly drink this one again.

2.53/5  rDev -41.7%

Bottle to fiddlehead pint glass

A: light brown color with ruby red accent thin tan head that dissipates quickly

S: reeks of booze smells more like a malt liquor then beer

T:follows the nose tastes like like burning alc liquor wasn't this barrel aged? Maybe it needs some more time there is dense wood like flavor but alc is really just overwhelming here

M: thin and light bit too heavy would be drinkable if it wasn't for the alc

O: well this totally sucked maybe its not my style but just tasted like liquor not beer maybe it needs time to mellow out or the style isn't for me but I hated it

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.73/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I finally get a chance to taste this delicious beer again. The appearance is slightly dark brown. I bought a case of this because I absolutely love the vanilla, caramel, oak bourbon taste it emits. You definitely can taste the alcohol in this beer and it is worthy of praise! Founders does an amazing job brewing this. The mouth feel is warm, sweet and pleasant. I love drinking this ale when the days get dark and cold quicker. It is limited depending on where you live. If you find it, please try this! You'll enjoy it!

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

I've had this beer several times, but apparently I've never reviewed it. Oh, well...

A: Dark, dark chestnut brown, but still fairly translucent when held up to the light. Forms a moderate off-white colored head that fades to a big-bubbled ring around the edge. Leaves some minimal lacing.

S: Caramel malts, toffee, molasses, and burnt sugar. Restrained bourbon barrel aroma, with notes of oak and vanilla.

T: Starts off creamy smooth. Caramel malt, sweet toffee, oak, vanilla, candied pecans and brown sugar. Then there are the bourbon notes, with a mild bit of alcohol.

M: Medium to heavy bodied, but exceptionally smooth and velvety in the mouth. Lower carbonation. Mild, slightly tannic, bitterness. A bit of alcohol warms up the palate.

O: Well, the fact I've had this beer before, but have never bothered to review it is a testament to its quality. It is a very good beer; a big beer, but one that is not at all overdone: well balanced with the brewer showing some restraint on the bourbon barrel aging.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company