Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Backwoods BastardFounders Backwoods Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

I thankfully have the mid afternoon sun in my eyes so I could hold this one up and really see the color. Deep ruby with so much yeast and haze in there you almost feel impressed that light gets through. Thereís a cap of foam after an aggressive pour, but it only lasts seconds and leaves a touch of white that calling head would be an insult to head.

Hints of oak and vanilla over a sweet malty back bone. Some sweet caramel notes at the finish from the base beer, but they are far away.

This beer is a rich combination of rather intensely sweet caramel malt with a hot and powerful vanilla and oak dominated bourbon. There really isnít anything else to say. Thereís a lot of flavor and subtlety to these qualities but no hops or combinations of malt flavors.

Dirty bastard is a thick beer with a lot of body to it. This one is no difference, Iíd say it is on the heavy side of the style and only big stouts are thicker. That said thereís minimal carbonation so this beer drinks a touch flat. This one is also very hot, way too hot to be only 10.2%.

I know a lot of people who really look forward to this one and hype it up a good bit. For me I canít say Iím in that group. I love bourbon but frankly I was bored to death by Dirty Bastard. This beer is rather tasty and I am putting a few bottles aside to see if age helps, but frankly this one finds itself in that special place where it isnít a great late night sipper or a nice pairing for a meal.

bobhits, Nov 06, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

P: From the bottle into a wine glass- closest to a snifter I've got.

A: Dark, ruby red-somewhat like a cola. There's light carbonation at work, and some minimal lacing. Good looking beer.

S: Boom: You're hit with this boozy, toasty, even buttery (as mentioned below) nose. I'm detecting a slight hint of dark chocolate in there as well.

T: The alcohol isn't a prominent as I had anticipated. This is nice, because it allows the other flavours to come through. With that said, I'm getting more bread, butter and lighted toasted malts, followed by the chocolate and toffee notes.

M: Not as thick I as I might have had on draft, but no worries: it still glides on the palette very well. Also, the lingering taste is quite subtle as well.

O: Solid work from the boys at Founders. Keep 'em coming. Oh, a note though- I'd actually suggest letting this guy get up to around 50 degrees, because I feel the chill actually suppresses some of the flavours

tgorgz, Nov 06, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

2011 Vintage. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance. Clear reddish brown in color. Pours with almost no head to speak of. An extremely thin lace of microscopic bubbles form a thin swirls on top of the beer. A tipping of the glass leaves a permanent lacing of clusters of tiny bubbles.

Smell. A huge burst of what I can only describe as buttered bagel hits the nose immediately. As you let the scent permeate your nostrils, though, it becomes more reminiscent of whiskey with a slightly oakiness. A definite sweetness becomes the other defining scent.

Taste. Much like the scent, there is a very sweet buttery flavor right up front on this one. Also like the scent this transitions into an oak tinted bourbon flavor that is accompanied by a slight alcohol burn. Some flavors of hard candy come in, but only for an instant. They transition to dark fruit flavors with bourbon undertones. The finish is sweet and bourbon tinted.

Mouthfeel. Thick creamy body with a low amount of carbonation.

Still trying to decide how I feel about the buttery flavor...

jtingue, Nov 06, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottled 9-30-11, poured into snifter

A. Nice amber with ruby highlights, one finger head fades rapidly to just a thin carbonation ring around the outside top with a swirling whirlpool like formation in the center.

S. amazing caramel and butterscotch aroma, subdued bourbon, with each sniff it begs you to dig deeper, it smells delicious.

T. Caramel and brown sugar and scotch up front are balanced by the hops and oak, but smooths out yet again with a nice maple bourbon in the finish.

M. medium body with buttery smooth texture, minimum carbonation but sufficient.

O. Excellent bourbon barrel aged "old ale" or "wee heavy" depending on how you classify it. Highly recommended. This will vary year to year and is great to have in the cellar.

Centennial, Nov 05, 2011

P: 12 fl oz bottle in to a tulip glass

A: SRM is amber/ruby red. Head is off white, half inch, receeds to rim of the glass. Medium lacing. Carbonation is medium and persists through body of the beer.

S: Carmely/maple malted notes with a sweet bourbon scent. Hints of fruit (date) come to mind.

T: Carmel/maple notes rush over the palate, followed by big malts and smoky scotch notes.

M: Initially, mf is slightly chewy/viscous, but expands quickly. Highly stimulating chewiness and carbonation are countered by the slight alcohol/scotch back end.

O: One of the top tier beers Founders makes. Phenominal. Only thing I don't like about this beer is that is comes out only once a year.

tsauce2, Nov 05, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

This is the beer that started it all for me. My brother gave me a bottle and said something along the lines of "This could change your life." Up to that point, I enjoyed Jack Daniels and various large batch brews. Then. I. Tried. Founders.

Game over. Now, I pine for the day that I can "happen upon" the KBS or CBS, or make a pilgrimage to the brewery. And, I'll have the beercation, soon.

I had a bottle (capped 2/10) of Backwoods Bastard in a pint glass, slightly warmed by my hands and consumed over time.

A: 4.0. I loved the gorgeous amber color, with hints of deep red. Very little head, some bubbles and a smell that made you pull your head towards the glass.

S: 5.0. Where has this taste been all of my life? I was weaned on Jack Daniels and have recently found Makers Mark to be the ultimate in a good drink. But, to find a beer that provides the bourbon taste without being too boozy or too pretentuous? This changed everything.

T: 5.0. Everything that I look for in a superior taste ... with each sip, I would pause my conversation, say "wow" and then relax for a moment.

M 4.0. The taste the experience and the flavor made the mouthfeel darn near perfec.

O: 4.5. After this beer, I started to listen to my brother, watch reviews online and pine for another "good beer."

Why would anyone drink a Bud after having this type of beverage? (I'll never know!)

sbrotschul, Nov 05, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

2011 batch, review done for cellaring purposes, but still needs to be reviewed. Ill add updates as it ages.

Pours a very deep mahogany blackish-brown with red hues. Carbonation is kind of low, and there is no head whatsoever.

Smells sweet and like alot of dark fruits (raisins and plums). Hints of caramelized sugars. Almost scary sweet, but my hopes will stay up.

I want to say it tastes sweet (and it really does), but it is backed up by the booze. It feels like a spiked raisin wintery christmas ale. I get a kind of nutty feeling that compliments the dark fruits really well. Maybe its more of a spiced cake. As i meandered through this beer, it transforms with more and more spices. The booze is warming, and makes it a nice sipper. I get more of the bourbon as it warmed for about 30 minutes. It became very smooth with notes of vanilla and bourbon.

It has a syrupy sweet feel, probably from all the non-fermentable sugars. Full bodied.

Ive had Wee-Heavies that are more on the smokey end, but this one leans more toward a doppelbock. I rather like it. What a great idea to open this while I was marinated pork chops in GLBC Christmas Ale. Lets see how this puppy ages!

Update at 2 months

Pour is the same, but the smell has lost some dark fruits and gained a barleywine smell. carbonation leaves what looks like a film at the top. It has actually gained more vanilla and beautiful oak barrel notes. I actually like it more now than before.

VncentLIFE, Nov 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev 0%

I thought I missed out on this one and luckily came up with a 4pack. Great Job!

A One finger off white head that's pretty foamy. A red mahogany body that has some carbonation jetting up. Some islands of foam are left on the top of the beer and some lacing is left.

S Nice bourbon and alcohol fumes are the first thing I notice. Thats the majority of the scent but there's also some molasses and a light sweet roast.

T Sweet malt and bourbon combine for a great taste up front. Vanilla comes out toward the middle and becomes really noticeable toward the finish. Really nice flavors all around, bourbon's prominent but doesnt overpowers any other flavor.

M Mouthfeel feels a little on the lighter side but leaves my mouth somewhat syrupy. There's more carbonation than I than I think. Becomes a really smooth sip after the carbonation foams.

O This stuffs great. I'm not a gigantic malt bomb guy but the bourbon works perfectly with everything to make a really tasty and dangerously drinkable beer.

Gushue3, Nov 04, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed this fine beverage from a modern day tulip glass at cellar temp. When held up to the sun it shows a deep red with a thick white head that dissipates quickly. This beer smells like a loaf of bread with vanilla, oak and a hint of caramel and dark fruit. The taste is unrivaled amongst its peers. Extremely well-balanced the flavors of the barrel only compliment this beer. No single flavor is overwhelming. Not boozy considering its ABV. Mouthfeel is thin yet creamy. This bastard is drinking really well right now and will only improve with age.

mklooster, Nov 04, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2011 bottle less than two months old. Served from the bottle at Canal St Pub, poured into a 12 ounce goblet.

A: Rustic amber bronze colored body, fairly clear though not completely. Tiny tan head forms but quickly dissipates, leaving almost no lace behind unless you have it a vigorous pour to form more of a head.

S: Boozy bourbon notes, wood, oak, vanilla and some roasted malts. The bourbon is the focus all while the Scotch Ale style aromas try to break through. If you love bourbon, this is probably one of the most aromatic non-stout barrel aged beers I've come across. Intoxicating, smooth and boozy; wonderful.

T: Bourbon dominates yet again, but it's not harsh or overly boozy. You know it was bourbon barrel aged on first sip, and if you don't care for the spirit, you won't like this. Complex toffee, vanilla and faint yeasty notes are mid-palate. Warming on the swallow and into the linger in the back of the throat to the chest. Ridiculously smooth, blended and balanced. Hands down, this is my favorite Scotch Ale I've ever tasted.

M: Incredibly smooth, lower on the carbonation but enough to break up the flavors and provide balance. Feels like drinking a very well made, crafted bourbon whiskey.

Backwoods Bastard was a very early beer I had when I first started drinking craft beer, and while I do remember enjoying it I don't think I appreciated it as I do now. It's so complex, flavorful and smooth; unlike many other bourbon barrel aged beers. One of my Fall favorites that I cannot get enough of.

ShanePB, Nov 04, 2011

Pours a deep reddish brown, clear with a smaller tan head that leaves some lace behind.

Aroma is lots of bourbon, good barrel notes with lots of vanilla all floating on a deep toffee malty base with hints of dark fruits and light smokey peat. Barrel aging does dominate the nose.

Taste lots of bourbon notes with vanilla again are dominating the taste. Of course it is ridding on a big malty base caramel, lots of toffee and earthy peat notes with some dark fruit notes peaking out. But heavy on the barrel aging, seems to me would be little more enjoyable if it was cut back a bit. But would be enjoyable on a cold night by the fire.

Mouthfeel is good big malty brew heavy medium with good level of carbonation.

Overall good brew enjoyable perhaps not as great as some see it for me as barrel ageing defiantly upfront as you have to search for anything else.

mntlover, Nov 04, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle 2011 Vintage.

This review is from a bottle although I think it is even better on tap.

A-Pours a thick dark amber with a tan head. Light lacing hangs around the entire time.

S-Lots of bourbon and wood and a little vanilla shine through with a grassy undertone.

T-There is so much flavor in the beer, tons of oak and vanilla right off the bat with a bourbon finish. There is a bit of toffee in there as well but the bourbon is just a perfect touch to this. Perfect fall beer.

M-A lot of the bourbon barrel beers have a burn but this one is so smooth and sticky rather than boozy. Light carbonation makes this one easy to drink but a sipper..

O-This is one of my favorite releases from founders. It took some time for me to get into. When I first tried it a couple years ago I thought the bourbon was overpowering now I think it is perfect. This is really a fantastic example of what barrel aging does to a beer. I know it is not comparable to KBS but I enjoy this beer much more and just sit back and enjoy it.

beerhan, Nov 04, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

The beer poured a clear deep maroon red brown, with a finger thick light tan head building, but dissipating very fast into a ring of nice lacing around the glass.
The smell is of bourbon and lots of dark fruits.
Tasting the beer that bourbon taste is right up front, being followed by the dark fruits. In the middle, caramel and brown sugar sweetens things up even more. The end is a nice warming up with a distinct measure of alcohol, yet not overpowering.
A really good beer, especially for the cold winter nights.

Hopfenpeter, Nov 04, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz. bottle, bottled 10/07/11, served in a Deschutes Snifter.

A: Pours a very dark cherry wood with a deep body. An off-white head forms on the pour and dissipates to a nice ring and some floating wisps. Light really shines off this brew.

S: Smells of bourbon with some light chocolate and subtle oaty malts. Very sweet smelling sugars as well.

T: The bourbon is up front with some nice caramel malts. Bready malts, brown sugar and molasses create a nice sweet backbone. There is a slight vanilla sweetness on the finish with a little heat.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated with a sweet finish and some heat.

O: The barrel is well integrated yet again in a Founders beer. This is sweet, but not overly sweet. Great beer.

Treebs, Nov 03, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -3%

Poured from the bottle into my Jackie O's tulip.

A - Pours a deep maroon-tinted brown with a little bit of light getting through, making the edges more of an amber color. Also pours with a minimal amount of pale tan head, which does form a ring around the top of the beer and lasts throughout the experience.

S - Smell is vanilla bourbon up front with a nice strong caramel/fruit background. Really builds nicely on the base beer. As you get deeper into the nose, also pick up a slight hint of toffee which is a nice compliment to the vanilla and caramel.

T - Taste is definitely much heavier on the fruits that only provide a background in the nose. The bourbon vanilla still plays its part, but it's much more subdued, and the caramel and toffee notes are hardly in the first few sips. As the beer warms in the mouth, the caramel definitely comes through paired with the vanilla, which rounds out the beer very nicely. This beer also does an excellent job of hiding the higher alcohol content, you can barely tell it's there.

M - Smooth and creamy in the finish. Little to no alcohol burn. Very pleasant.

O - Overall very nice. My only gripe about this beer is the amount of dark fruits in the beginning of the taste. I was hoping from the nose that it would be more vanilla and caramel, with the fruit and toffee as more of a backdrop. I will also say that I thought this was much more impressive the first time I had it on tap at Founders.

MarkIntihar, Nov 03, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Is a ruby brown color with a bit of a murkyness to it. Has a thin caramel colored head.

S - Has a very rich fruityness to it: Prunes, Figs, and such. Also has a strong bourbon aroma to it.

T - Again a very strong bourbon flavor to it along with a nice oaky flavor. Has a rich caramel maltyness to it and rich fruityness.

M - Medium to Full bodied.

O - Another excellent beer from founders. I don't know if I've ever had a barrel aged beer with this strong of a bourbon flavor and aroma, but it works well with this beer.

clint1019, Nov 03, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

2011 Bottle. Thanks for the beer Brian!
Poured into a stemless Riedel wine glass.

A- Pours a dark mahogany brown color. Thin tan head.
S- Rich bourbon up front. There's some spice, maybe cinnamon, dark fruits, vanilla, oak, roasted malts, and booze.
T- Taste kinda lacks for me. Not as full bodied as I hoped. Richness wasn't there like the aroma. There was decent amounts of bourbon notes, vanilla, toasted oak and malts in there. Just lacked balance, seemed the booze over powered a bit. I would guess time will balance this beer out, but for now it's just an average beer for me. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad beer.
M- Med. body, perfect carb. Creamy mouthfeel.
O- I would buy this beer again to age for 6-12 months. Right now for me, it's just out of balance. I'd prefer more vanilla/oak/malt on the palate instead of the fresh bourbon/booze which dominates. I can see this beer aging wonderfully though.

habanosdarklord, Nov 03, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Murky brown and ominous in my snifter. Strong aromas of bourbon and oak greet my nose right away. Caramelized booze, sweet malts too.

First sip instantly reminds me this is a scotch. Bourbon and oak charge forward quickly, bringing with them a caramel-y, boozy complexion. Big spike of auxiliary flavors in the middle before the dry finish.

Dark fruit and malts are the centerpiece here, so I was concerned that the boldness of the ancillary barrel flavors would overwhelm things. Fortunately, we're talking about a Founders beer, and they'd never do such a thing.

Medium body, good amount of carbonation. Would love a creamier version, but not sure if it's stylistically possible. Bourbon-aged beers aren't really my thing so drinkability suffers, but objectively it's quite drinkable.

Seriously, the Founders brewmasters are rock stars.

brystmar, Nov 03, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer pours with a dark brown color with a fine finger of head that recedes to a ring around the outside of the glass fairly quickly. The aroma has a lot of caramel, malt, and some bourbon and a bit of vanilla. There is a mild frutiness that comes out as the beer warms a bit. The taste is amazing. Malty, caramel, with lots of vanilla and a touch of booziness which accompanies a very nice bourbon note. A bit sweet as well. The mouthfeel is where it should be. Not much carbonation and a pretty full mouthfeel. Very well made beer. One of my favorites from one of my favorite breweries.

Agold, Nov 03, 2011

Tasted On: 11-01-2011
Freshness: 2010 vintage
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle
Glassware: Founders Snifter/Tulip
Purchased: Single from Chuck's, Bowling Green, KY

This 2010 vintage bottle should be right at 1 year old now.

Pours a dark sienna brown color, with hazy clarity. Some suspended particles are seen in the glass. Head is about a finger's worth but doesn't stay long.

The first and foremost aromas are of bourbon - this is obviously a very boozy beer, with strong wood and oak as well. Other aromas are of malty, caramel sweetness and rich, dark fruits.

Taste is very rich, with a strong alcohol presence. The dark malts are center stage here, but are tempered by some bitterness of hops and roasted flavors. Still, I was surprised this has 50 IBUs as noted on the label - the high malt content and alcohol mask the bitterness well. Other flavor notes include roasted grains, vanilla and treacle.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with a full, chewy body. Plenty of alcohol warmth makes this a slow sipping beer. I could definitely feel the 10.2% ABV when I finished my glass.

Overall, an excellent beer that makes a good nightcap. This is the first barrel-aged bourbon beer I've had that was not a stout and I was pleased with the result.

sommersb, Nov 02, 2011
4.33/5  rDev 0%

A: Thin tan/beige head. Deep brown/copper color with a brighter orange hue at the bottom of the glass when held to light.

S: Scotch right off the bat. Oakiness. Sweet/Roasted malts. Touch of chocolate.

T: Has that scotchy taste right off the bat, which is an interesting feeling coming from a beer. Again, touch of chocolate/spices and a smooth sweetness. Slight bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Man, this thing is very easy to drink, given its alcohol content. Has a medium mouthfeel and a slight alcohol warming that leaves the mouth tingling afterwards.

O: Really interesting style with the scotch/bourbon flavor. Definitely worth a try! Tread lightly though, because you will be feeling it before you finish just one.

Scourge07, Nov 02, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle with partially rubbed off date (can't read but the lettering is yellow, meaning it's recent) opened on 11/1 in honor of submitting my first application to graduate school. Served at 55 degrees and poured into a Goose Island pint glass.

A- Pour yields roughly one inch of creamy head, just off-white in color, perhaps even a tinge of mocha. It sticks around for a while before finally dissipating, leaving plenty of lacing around the glass. Liquid is a dark, caramel color with notes of red and brown.

S- "Whoa." Lots of oaked bourbon, dark fruits, malt, caramel, vanilla, and brown sugar. Definitely can pick up on the alcohol through the nose, but it's over 10%, so what was I expecting?

T- While it follows the nose (bourbon, dark fruits, malt, caramel, etc.), the alcohol burn that was present in the nose is practically nonexistent in the taste, especially for the ABV. Extremely impressive. Nice hoppy aftertaste.

M- Nice carbonation, very smooth.

O- While I'm not the biggest fan of beers aged in bourbon, I had to pick this up considering Founders makes it. That said, I prefer this beer to any other bourbon barrel aged beer (over Angel's Share and Bourbon Santa's, but that could be inferred by my previous reviews). Nothing in this beer is overpowering to the point that the other flavors are hid, and the balance of the beer is really the most impressive aspect. Is $4 too much for a bottle of this? Absolutely not, but I probably won't be stocking up on it when Founders still makes stouts.

jm1229, Nov 02, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz. Bottle to Snifter at Jerry's.

A- Very, very thin almost nonexistent head. A dark wood brown with reddish tones when held to light.

S- Founders beers always have such great aroma. These aromas really add to the experience and are a big part of the reason their beers are so solid. Milk chocolate here, brownie and cafe con leche, toffee, smells like a fudge shop that also roasts and brews their own coffee.

T- Legit. Crisp, dark chocolate and hops. Hints of bourbon and the oak. Alcoholic burn coated in toasted coconut aftertaste.

M- So crisp for being so heavy, really a pleasant mouthfeel and oh so very drinkable.

O- So glad I got to try this. It is such a great step in learning more and more about beer. This beer is pretty legit, great beer.

Nachojon, Nov 02, 2011
3.94/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my trusty snifter. Bottle dated 9/23/11.

A: Dark orange/rust color...some red hues. Very clear. An aggressive pour yielded a one finger, off-white, bordering on a very light tan head. Head quickly faded to a thin rim of bubbles.

S: Ton of Scotch Whiskey on the nose. Plenty of oak tanins. Wow, the whiskey notes are dominating this aroma. Can't get any hops or even any malts. Just smells like a glass of scotch - you can tell the alcohol is there, but it's not burning the nostrils or anything.

T: I was afraid that the taste would be as strong as the nose...and while you do get the scotch in the taste as well, it's not as overwhelming as in the aroma. The taste allows some of the sweet roasted malt to come through. Some nice oak barrel going on. A touch of vanilla as well.

M: Nice medium bodied beer. Average carbonation. A little on the dry side.

O: Whiskey is inarguably the dominant force behind this beer. You get some malts and some carbonation, but this sucker smells and tastes like a glass of whiskey. The warming presence of the alcohol is quite noticeable as well. I'm glad I gave this one a shot, and while I thought is was good, there are about 6-8 other Founders beers I'd rather have than this one. That being said, if you like heavy oak-aged beers laced with whiskey, this is all you.

Revisited on 11/10/13 - current score reflects those changes. Score from original review was 3.43. Suffice to say, I've acquired more of a taste for BA beer as well as wee heavies.

kbuzz, Nov 02, 2011
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Globe.

A. Pours a pinky finger of head. Ok lacing. For what little head there was decent retention. Color is dark amber brown.

S. Brown sugar, molasses, raisins, sweet malt, alcohol, oak, vanilla. A lot of smells to pick out from this bastard.

T. Good. Really good. A lot going on with this beer. Where to begin. Brown sugar, molasses, maple, caramel vanilla, oak, raisins, and other dark fruit. Really nice vanilla flavors. Very complex taste. Very smooth.

M. Full bodied. Low carbonation. Lingering vanilla sweetness.

O. Very impressed. Which really isnt a surprise for me with a beer coming from Founders. Really nice barrel aged flavors going on with this one especially vanilla. Perfect beer to warm up with on a cold day. Like most Founder's beers, the only thing that could improve this beer would be to make it available year round.

siradmiralnelson, Oct 30, 2011