Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,864 | Reviews: 1,623

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

ST - poured from bottle into stemless wine glass

A - pours dark brown with red hues & fleeting head

S - picked up vanilla, dark brown sugar

T - smooth, balanced. Alcohol warmth, malty, vanilla, brown sugar. At the end dark fruit specifically cherries.

M - full, a little syrupy

O - great beer, bought a second bottle to cellar

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz. bottle poured into a curved porter glass.

A- a dark ruby/brown, translucent when held to light. A thin light tan head sits on top and dissipates very quickly. A little bit of lacing down the glass.

S- You get the dark, slightly smoky/peaty malt bill of dirty bastard, but there's the added complexity of the barrel. Oaky, with some vanilla and toasted coconut. Could use more barrel characteristics in the aroma.

T- Dark, peaty caramelized malts and bourbon character lead way into some boozyness, but the absolute party in my mouth starts mid to end. It gets a heavy oaky vanilla character with a lovely toasted coconut flavor as well. It's so smooth it's almost criminal.

M- Thicker and more syrupy than you would initially think. Sweet, but does dry a bit on the finish. Light to medium carbonation.

O- A truly fantastic example of what barrel aging can do to a beer.

3.66/5  rDev -15.7%

Presentation 12 oz bottle warmed up a bit and poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.
(Not the best glass I know). bottled 10/05/12

A-Pours a deep brown with a reddish tinge to it. Practically no head.

S-Powerful Bourbon goodness upon first whiff. Following whiffs pull forth toffee, burnt marshmallow, carmelized brown sugar. This beer has such a sweet smell, almost a stinging sensation on the nose.

T&MF-Bourbon comes on hard at first sip and fades quickly giving way to an alcoholic dryness. Leaves a dry sweetness on the toungue. I hate to say this but it has a sucralose like sweetness to it. Amidst the bourbon burn, there is some pepper and a very faint cherry sweetness going on. Major cardboard oxidative flavors on the way down followed by a nice burn in the gullet.

O-This is way too hot and needs to be laid down for at least 4 months. Its a mess to tell you the truth. This may be very nice when the bourbon cools off a bit. And I truly hope I was not tasting sucralose.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Poured from bottle into Portsmouth tulip. Sat out at room temperature for 20 minutes before reviewing.

A: A dark reddish brown with a small off-white head that quickly dissipates into a small halo along the glass' edge. Leaves some lacing.

S: Bourbon heavy with a lot of sweetness coming through. Picking up some notes of vanilla and a little bit of cocoa if I'm not mistaken. A big fan of this, even more so as I sniff on it more. Some dark fruit and tobacco coming out as well.

T: Definitely get the bourbon up front, which quickly coats the tongue before fading away to the dark fruit and tobacco I got from the nose. The taste lingers a relatively short while, especially in comparison to what I expected. Some nice malt flavor at the end. Definitely going to savor this.

M: A lot thicker than I expected, especially for the style. Does a good job of coating the tongue and palette. Some alcohol heat at the end, but in an enjoyable way. The barrel is definitely establishing its authority here.

O: I'm really glad I cracked this tonight. Looking for a beer to slowly sip and enjoy, I'm looking forward to seeing how this one warms up. Also happy I have three more bottles to sit on. I'll likely drink two soon since I'm liking where it is right now, but will be interested to see how it ages.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

A-Poured into my DFH snifter with about .5 finger head that didn't last very long. Dark brown/amber in color .

S-Picking up a pleasant mixture of scents, mainly dominated by vanilla, oak, and whiskey. Also subtle hints of caramelized sugars and alcohol.

T-A nice sweet malt flavor opens up the taste buds for the strong bourbon flavor that balances the maltiness perfectly. Also tasting notes of dark fruit, vanilla, and oak.

M-Very smooth, medium body with mild carbonation.

O-An excellent beer one that I will get on an annual basis. Not usually a fan of the scotch ales, but the bourbon/oak in this one balances out the sweetness perfectly.

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio a few days ago for $3.75 into a clean, clear glass. In fact, it is my Voodoo Brewery pint glass. "BOTTLED 10/05/12" stamped on the neck of the bottle.

A Dark mohagany body that lets lots of light through under a light brown creamy but thin and brief head. I poured vigorously about one half way through and still the head lasted only 15 seconds. I like the look. I suppose the high ABV is chasing that head away! 3.5

S Sweet nectar of barley malt and a strong sense of Bourbon. Very little to no hops to my nose despite the "50 IBU's" mentioned on the neck label. I really like this smell but I must admit it is due at least in part to the strong, seductive bourbon scent. Repeated sniffs to write this review are making me really want to try it! 4.5

T Bourbon hits me first. In the distant last one third of the taste there is the sweet barley malt. Maybe trailing off in the distance is some minor hops bitterness but believe me, it is almost completely eclipsed by the wonderful nectar goodness of bourbon. For those who have had KBS but not this one, imagine a KBS without the nearly burnt roast malt tastes, replaced by a huge, sweet, moderately roasted malt. The taste of this beer is really big, reminds me in a certain way of a spoonful of caramel, the kind that you might put on ice cream. In fact, I wish I had a scoop of fresh vanilla right now! 4.5

M Big, full, syrupy goodness. The syrupy stickiness lingers on my tongue for a while after my last sip. 5.0

D/O Drinkability not that high since it is such a big beer and overall this is a really great version of the style. There are many in this style that are big, huge beers. The bourbon here helps to make it more accessible and easier drinking. In short, it really helps the style for me. 4.0

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company