Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,860 | Reviews: 1,623
4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a snifter

A - Very dark brown slight red hue with the light, but you can't see through it. Poured a nice khaki head that didn't stick around long.

S - Can smell the whiskey coming off of this. Get the oak barrel smell too. Awesome

T - This is a revelation for me as I haven't had many beers aged in bourbon barrels, but Jesus did this taste like whiskey and it is amazing. Never had anything like it before. Other notes I picked up were the malts and a slight vanilla.

M - Very smooth, medium body, no burn from the alcohol. Impressive

O - This is my motherfucking shit.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Mad props to Wendy at VE for my reserve on this 4pk!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my delirium snifter

A- poured a deep reddish brown color.. Ruby highlights to the curves of the glass.... resembles a liquid Ruby in my glass to the light. Off white head, quickly dissovles to nothing minimal lacing

S- big whiff reveals a smack of Bourbon, vanilla and white oak undertones. Dark fruit highlights in the back.

T- like the nose but some more pronounced. Big Bourbon flavors, smooth vanilla, light earthy undertones of oak. Dark cherry twist for sweetness..ting of booze lingering.Huge flavors going on but the balance is the biggest thing going on here

M- smooth, creamy, oily body... light carbonation, kind of prickly on the tongue maybe from the booze?

O- my first experience with this brew, very happy I have the pleasure sipping this right now. Very well done, huge flavors with huge balance.. now I see what all the hype is about...def putting my other 2 way for a couple of years....

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz pour from bottle fresh from Founder's into wineglass

A- Pours a clean mahogany ruby red caramel color. Thin tan head with minimal lacing.

S- Bourbon, Brown sugar, Caramel, Dark fruits - Sweet and pungent

T- Initial sweet raisin flavors hit the tongue, followed by balanced caramel, molasses, brown sugar sweetness with a hint of roasty, darker malt flavor. Heavy Graham Cracker / Vanilla flavors. Bourbon sweetness rounds out the flavor profile with a little heat in the finish. As the beer warms vanilla starts to take the stage. Black Cherry or chocolate-covered cherries are distinguishable when exhaling through the nose. Overall a very complex flavor.

M - Thick, slightly oily mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated.

O - Very impressed by this beer. It has re-defined the style for me. A great sipper that competes with some of Founder's others Barrel Aged behemoths. After buying two 4pks, I'm ready to commit to stocking up on this to get me through til next years release.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

A-dark red brown color with a small off-white head and no lacing

S-caramel, brown sugar, bourbon, malt

T-malt, caramel, oak, bourbon, vanilla

F-medium body with light carbonation, a little alcohol burn

O-great marriage of scotch ale and bourbon barrel, a delicious sipper with good balance of sweetness and bourbon flavor

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Fresh batch from Nov. '12.

Poured pretty vigorously into a tulip glass.

A-very small head that quickly goes away. very dark brown color, almost chocolate black in appearance.

S-A sweet bourbon smell hits you first, followed by lots of earthy notes and malty goodness.

T-A really nice, bourbon sweetness hits you first. Its not overpowering, but you can definitely feel the bourbon presence in this beer. In the middle I get a lot of earthy, mostly woody notes. Finally, the beer finishes out with a slight sweetness from the malts. Doesn't taste nearly as boozy as I'd expect. Taste is well balanced.

M-a bit more thin than i was expecting, considering the style. overall doesn't detract from the awesomeness of this beer.

O-Easily hands down one of my favorite Founders offering, and hands down my favorite wee-heavy. I'm glad I got a few 4 packs of this to sip on for the next few weeks. Its incredibly balanced, and no one flavor is really overpowering. I'm amazed at how balanced and drinkable this beer is. Well done Founders, well done.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle poured into tulip.

A- Hard poor, yields one finger white head that recedes quickly. Has a really dark brown color.

S-Bourbon, earthy, sweet, caramel,

T- Front end=dark taste that I struggle to describe. I guess woodsy would could describe it. Back end, vanilla, caramel,sweet.

O-This is my first Barrel aged Scotch Ale, so not sure what to compare it to. I really enjoyed this beer. Much thinner than I expected. I can taste the alcohol, but I enjoy this. I will age and see what happens after a few months. Very good beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company