Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 10/7/11 Reviewed 1/27/12 Poured into pint glass

A: Nice tan, one finger head. Cloudy, dark amber, some carbonation fighting it's way up. I wouldn't say a lot, but some nice lacing 4.5

S: Bourbon, malts, spice. And a bit of scotch? 4

T: Malty, bourbon/scotchy alcohol, some fruits, caramel 3.5

M: Smooth, light carbonation, feels about right for 10.2% ABV 4.5

O: Very good ale, a bit more on the taste would have made this awesome/amazing for me, I'm going to have to do a side by side with Dirty Bastard, which I like a lot 4

Bottled illegible 2011 Reviewed 2/19/12

A: Thin tan head, hazy deep dark amber color, decent carbonation, little bit of lacing 4

S: Very nice blend of bourbon, scotch, malts, caramel, dark fruits, some oakiness 5

T: Sweet maltiness, dark fruits, caramel, vanilla, roasted flavor, a lot of goodness going on here, definitely noticeably different and better than the last one I had 4.5, would be 4.75 if available

M: Creamy and smooth, light carbonation, medium to full bodied, viscous, alcohol nicely balanced in there 4, would be 4.25 if available

O: Different than the last batch I had from 2011, can't wait to try again, this is good stuff 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a Deep brown with a decadent toast tan colored, very thick head looks low in carbonation.

Smell of oak, vanilla, carmel, malty sweetness, bourbon.

Taste malt sweetness Lots of carmel, vanilla earthy tones from malt and wood aging. Oak on the back end with more carmel and biscuit notes. A very nice complex blend of malt and bourbon oak flavor that is a great match together.

Overall carbonation was there just right a very complex and great brew i really enjoy how the bourbon aging pairs with the carmel sweet malts. A great product from barrel aging one of the best I've had to date.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

El Nopalero picked this up in Michigan over Christmas. I could not make out the date on the bottle but it was definitely bottled in 2011, perhaps in October.

Poured into a snifter.

Beautiful dark reddish brown color.

Looked flat, but was surprisingly carbonated when I tasted it.

Smelled like someone put scotch in a humidifier. It was hard to pull my nose away from the glass, but I had to taste it.

Scotch barrel, yellow cake batter, vanilla, cherry coke, cocoa. Perhaps this does not make any sense, but it was phenomenal.

I’ll have another.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz bottle born in 10/08, an extra from a great BA (thanks man) poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. The perfect nightcap.

A: Pours a hazy tawny copper color, with a small off-white head that can be quickly revived. The haze fades slightly as the beer warms, and there are good alcohol legs on this one.

S: Dominated by generous portions of bourbon and caramel...wow. Very malty, bready, toffee, touch of a fig or other sticky fruit mixed with alcohol.

T: Bourbon, and a bit of hot booze, cut right through the miles of malty caramel sweetness. There is a touch of wood and smoke as well...a hint of chocolate too. Really enjoyable.

MF: Pretty sticky and viscous, with a good amount of alcohol heat. Medium-to-full body, finishes dry.

O: The alcohol presence is not distracting, I think the heat and the bourbon flavors mix well with the hefty caramel malt bill and all the bready characteristics. For a beer this old it still retains a lot of bourbon notes - must be a hot one fresh. I really liked this one.

4.54/5  rDev +4.6%

Tonight I’ve had the pleasure of sipping on Founders Backwoods Bastard and Dirty Bastard. Both beers were poured at 45 degrees or so into normal pint glasses. The following was written as I alternatively sipped both. This was A LOT of fun. Cheers!

Note: my ratings here were for just the Backwoods Bastard...I'm dual posting this under Dirty Bastard with ratings of that beer there.

BACKWOODS BASTARD
Appearance: Slightly darker color. Small head, disappears in a minute leaving ring around edge.

Smell: BOURBON. Carmel, greatness. I could spend an evening just smelling this beer. There’s some vanilla in there too. In fact, the first time I tasted this, I made my one chalice of the beer last about an hour because I knew once I finished it - I wouldn’t be able to smell it any more. Except in my dreams.

Taste: All the very fine roasted malts of the original, with the smokey warming sensation of bourbon too! This is an AMAZING drinking experience. It’s very sweet in the front and then there’s peat and a delightful bourbon-like finish and warming. You can also pick up brown sugar. The first time I had this, I thought “very dark bananas foster.” This is an awesome beer. One of my top-5 taste wise. A sipper of the finest magnitude.

DIRTY BASTARD
Appearence: Very dark ruby red. Off white head, 2/3 of an inch, fades over 2-3 minutes.

Smell: Carmel malts. Brown sugar. Very slight smokiness. Much more mild than its big brother. Zero hop smell. Malts and sweet, bready goodness.

Taste: Surprising slight bitterness, which I couldn’t pick up in the smell at all. Slight bitterness up front, then a very nice sweet maltiness takes over. Very slight scotch-like finish with a bit of warming. I don’t pick up much of a smokey taste. This is a damn fine beer. The roasted malts are very well balanced by a slight hop bitterness. What smoke there is here really helps provide balance. This is the first time I’ve had Dirty Bastard after a long love affair with Backwoods Bastard - I’d drink either of these anytime.

Overall: I love these beers. It was great to have both at once. The base beer is one of the better scotch ales I’ve had. The barrel aged big brother is sweet, smokey greatness that any fan of big beers, scotch, bourbon, LIFE ITSELF ... will love. Seek these out. Enjoy them.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company