Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,855 | Reviews: 1,622
3.67/5  rDev -15.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into Darkness snifter. Bottled on 10/13/11.

Appearance: Pours a murky raisin brown/red. Small off-white head with very little retention apart from some lacing around the edges of the glass. Seems to stick to the sides of the glass pretty well...possibly alcohol legs.

Smell: Mmm...I pick up some black licorice and dark fruit along with LOTS of bourbon goodness. Strong oak and vanilla comes through along with some roasted character, but the sweeter scents come through most predominantly. I can't tell if I smell the ABV or just bourbon.

Taste: Carbonated Bourbon. I'm sure that there's a base beer under here somewhere...but it seems pretty trumped by the more predominant barrel notes. I pick up some nice caramel and toffee notes, but they just are paled in comparison to the bourbon. Don't get me wrong, I like the bourbon, I just wish the beer shown through more.

Mouthfeel: Pretty solid mouthfeel here, not to thick or heavy but still substantial. For the ABV, this beer's remarkably easy drinking.

Overall: This is a pretty interesting beer. At times I really enjoy the huge bourbon presence...at times I think it's too overshadowing. I have plenty in the cellar, I'm hoping that with more time some of the more predominant flavors mellow out, allowing the base beer to come through more clearly.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Body is a nice stained cherry mahogany, like that table at your grandma's house that is from the 1920s.
The aroma has a really integrated scent of bourbon barrel, which is great in this beer, really adds the element that this style needs for my deep affection.
Flavor wise there is toffee,maple, caramel, and all of those malt notes that you would expect from a rich ale of this nature, thin alcohol that adds a positive element to this beer. Vanilla and oak most likely an addition from the time hugging a barrel. There is a cherry like flavor of fruit, but just enough to only mention one fruit, if i listed more then one fruit you would get the wrong idea and think this had more fruit notes then it does. All of these flavors are very well integrated 6mo after release. I think i preferred it fresh for the stronger barrel notes and heat, but the sallys will love it 6mo out.
The mouthfeel is smooth, a bit slick and low carb. Fitting for the style i think though.

I buy a lot of this when it comes out, and drink it often. For a few weeks it is my regular grab beer. I don't horde it and it doesn't last long in my hands. I dig it.

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

i had this beer a few times at Blue Dogg in Warminster P.A. Everytime i see it on a list i will get it because it is one of the best beers that Founders makes. It has an incredible balance of hops and barley. The smokey hint tops it off at the aftertaste. The head is always full and rich with overwhelming aromas that make you want more. Great beer!

3.61/5  rDev -16.8%

Draft pour at an undisclosed location. Large chalice.

A : Brown body. Thin white head.

N: Not a lot. I expected more. Malt and a little bourbon.

F: Smooth malt with some sweetness from the bourbon barrel.

M: Smooth and slightly creamy. A tiny astringency.

O: A nice scotch ale. Not enough barrel for my taste.

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%

4.26/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Pours a hazy brown with no real head forming, just a small ring on the edges of the glass. The tiniest amounts of lacing. Sediment collects at the bottom of the glass.

S- Bourbon and sweet caramel and toffee. Really wonderful nose on this. The bourbon really makes it.

T- More of what you find in the nose. Just a tad of bitterness and alcohol towards the end that really work with the malt backbone perfectly. Delicious and not super boozy for the ABV.

M- Smooth and medium bodied. A little residual stickiness from the malt.

O- This is an excellent beer that totally piqued my interest in exploring this style and other bourbon barrel aged beers a bit more. I've been on a pretty long hops kick and this beer may have just changed that. I wish I had more.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

This was the nightcap that we enjoyed after a blind scotch ale tasting with Adam H and RWNewhouse.

This pours a deep brown with ruby highlights and a frothy head. On the nose there is a great deal of raisin, toffee, slight vanilla, oak. There is a lot going on here. In the mouth the raisins come out most, perhaps booze-soaked, with some smoke and oak filing in behind. The body is medium full and there is a finish long on bourbon.

Overall, this is a fine brew if you're into sweeter big beers. I see this on a continuum with sweet barleywines and especially old ales, but that's fine by me.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 10/7/11 Reviewed 1/27/12 Poured into pint glass

A: Nice tan, one finger head. Cloudy, dark amber, some carbonation fighting it's way up. I wouldn't say a lot, but some nice lacing 4.5

S: Bourbon, malts, spice. And a bit of scotch? 4

T: Malty, bourbon/scotchy alcohol, some fruits, caramel 3.5

M: Smooth, light carbonation, feels about right for 10.2% ABV 4.5

O: Very good ale, a bit more on the taste would have made this awesome/amazing for me, I'm going to have to do a side by side with Dirty Bastard, which I like a lot 4

Bottled illegible 2011 Reviewed 2/19/12

A: Thin tan head, hazy deep dark amber color, decent carbonation, little bit of lacing 4

S: Very nice blend of bourbon, scotch, malts, caramel, dark fruits, some oakiness 5

T: Sweet maltiness, dark fruits, caramel, vanilla, roasted flavor, a lot of goodness going on here, definitely noticeably different and better than the last one I had 4.5, would be 4.75 if available

M: Creamy and smooth, light carbonation, medium to full bodied, viscous, alcohol nicely balanced in there 4, would be 4.25 if available

O: Different than the last batch I had from 2011, can't wait to try again, this is good stuff 4.5

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company