Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Backwoods BastardFounders Backwoods Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Cloudy, unfiltered. Dark brown honey appearance. Makes one anticipate a serious, full-bodied brew.

Smell: Initially caramel/toffee aromas, along with oak, bourbon and a hind of scotch-like smoke. The longer it opened up, however, the more submerged these aromas were by a rather strong alcoholic nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Really enjoyed it. The flavors tracked the initial nose, not the later more alcoholic aromatic shift. Got hints of coconut as well as toffee, oak and scotch. Bourbon element was nicely balanced, not overpowering as in some ales (though I really like good bourbon). Nice medium/heavy volume. Extremely drinkable, though you would not want several in a row. Nice for sipping.

wfrigsby, Dec 19, 2010

Drymoose, Nov 28, 2011

BrewBro, Dec 04, 2012

Shissler, Nov 28, 2012

TRSG, Nov 28, 2012
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Dec 03, 2012

Golfingtom, Jan 26, 2013

Edin88, Nov 18, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: This poured a very deep brown with just a hint of red highlights. It had a light mocha colored head that was thin, and not lasting. It also left no lacing on the glass. Very light carbonation activity visible. I've seen more impressive looking beers, but nothing about it is off-putting.

Aroma: The nose was huge with caramel, maple syrup, and bourbon notes. It was incredible. It had a touch of figs/dates and booze as well. Outstanding bouquet on this one.

Taste: The caramel and bourbon carried over into the taste. More malty sweet than maple syrup in the taste than in the aroma. I couldn't detect much booze until the bottom of the glass. The notes of figs and raisins were on the back end of the palate as well. Awesome tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with low carbonation on the tongue. Very smooth, no alcohol burn, no astringency.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. Probably the best bourbon-barrel aged beer that I've tried, and much better than it's base beer.

WildRoverBrewery, Dec 23, 2013
4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Gave this guy the old tumble-pour and I wasn't disappointed. It had a nice dark color with a creamy swirl till it settled down. Fantastic head with great lacing, the color was nice and dark and made me all tingly inside and i couldn't wait to try it.

S: Get a hint of vanilla, some tasty smelling malts, and a presence of caramel (could be molases)

T: Boom. It was like fireworks that were immediately smothered by a warm blanket of sweet malty tastes. Congrats Founders, this is one of the best beers i've tasted. Ever. It's so smooth and delicious, all the smells were adequately transferred into taste, with a little bit of a, i hesitate to say coarse, but coarse finish. The finish really brought it all together 360 with a taste that made me beg for more

M: A smooth caress over the palate, with a surprisingly clean and coarse finish. Now let me delve into what i mean by coarse. The beer kind of tugged at my palate, but just for a moment and just enough to give it a great taste. Loved it

O: As a said, I loved it. I want more, and I want it at my disposal at all hours. Sadly, I heard that it's a seasonal beer, and that breaks my heart. I guess i'll just have to stock up

JustAnotherDrinker, Dec 31, 2013

dovekie, Apr 13, 2014

tracer28, Jun 17, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

serving type: bottle at The Oak in Wyandotte, MI

appearance: poured extremely dark, almost black into a tulip glass with minimal to no head.

smell: caramel, smoke and wood

taste: creamy and smooth

mouthfeel: thick and creamy with little carbonation

Dangerously drinkable. I can see why people rave over it. I think I prefer this to Founders Dirty Bastard, but honestly, I'll drink anything from this brewery.

rawrgasaurus, Jul 25, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Okay, this is my first review. Let me start by saying, first, thanks for reading. Second, you need to go find this beer. There's a reason I haven't reviewed a beer yet. I haven't discovered one so unique to bother. Seriously though, I'm not sophisticated enough to differentiate the subtle nuances between the many different styles and many different brewers. I've been a cheap beer drinker all my life until the past few months. You'll never witness me ripping on a 30pack of Red Dog, but recently, my tastes have become a bit more refined. I hesitate say but now it's more about the quality than the quantity. I bought six random (local/Michigan) beers tonight. There were porters and trippels but I saved this particular bottle 'til last. I always pick one that I believe will stand out as my final beer. This was it. However, I had to take a trip BACK to the beer store for more of this TONIGHT.

I didn't note the pour, color, bouquet or head. What I did note was the terrific initial taste and the pleasureably sweet subsequent aftertaste. Aftertaste is usually a bad word, but with this beer it is the dessert. Reviews compare this beer to Founder's Dirty Bastard but I taste no similarities. For a heavy HEAVY (10.2%) beer, this is a delightfully pleasant and refreshing brew that far surpasses all expectations.

seitzka, Nov 15, 2008

amantini, Nov 18, 2011

reaves181, Dec 10, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

This is my first beer review so here we go.

12 oz bottle poured into a straight side pint glass

A: dark brown with a bit of red, not quite opaque. very little head (probably due to my pour).

S: Incredible! Great earthy aroma with a lot of vanilla, chocolate, and caramel notes coming through. the oak comes through a little bit towards the end, with some sweetness.

T: Vanilla is the first thing that hits me, followed by a rich blend of chocolate, oak, and caramel. The end is sweet with a touch of bitterness.

M: Very thick, but smooth at the same time. Towards the end my mouth started to feel a little coated.

D: For a beer that has a 10.2% ABV this is extremely smooth. Goes down very easy with very little bite from the the high alcohol content.

This is the first beer that I have drank and felt like I just had a dessert. The richness, flavors and aromas of this beer are incredible. In my opinion, I would enjoy it without the accompaniment of food, but that is me. Sadly, this one is only around in November so stock up while you can.

Maxwell106, Nov 25, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Very dark brown color with a thin head.
Aroma: Sweet malt and bourbon.
Taste: Bourbon, caramelized malt, maple, vanilla, and dark cherry.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth and silky, creamy and rich.

As stated before, its a sipper. Let it open up, take this slow.
Enjoy this if you can find it.

Pezcraig, Nov 17, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Wow! This is a great beer! So great that I bought 11 packs when it released in late fall.

It pours a deep copper red with very little head that disappears quickly. It has an incredible smell to it, vanilla and bourbon are the dominant aromas here.

The taste is even better, very deep vanilla and bourbon taste with a bit of bready, yeasty taste. The finish is dry with a lingering vanilla aftertaste. The warming sensation of the alcohol sticks with you, although it's extremely well hidden for a 10 percenter.

This is an all-time favorite! I just wish it wasn't a once-a-year release!

jmacpher, Dec 23, 2010

Joesnow, Nov 22, 2013

nogmos, Feb 19, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

12 ounce bottle in a tulip glass

Appearance: The color is a rich mahogany red-brown. The head is thin and disintegrates quickly. The opacity is very low, I can see right through the beer when held up to the light.

Smell: Sweet bourbon hits first (slightly hot), next I noticed the earthy tones of the oak followed by maple and caramel with a hint of fruit.

Taste: very delicious, there is an obvious bourbon influence with caramel, vanilla, and cocoa undertones. The alcohol is apparent in this beer, and it works nicely. After drinking I can still feel the heat from the alcohol on my breath, but it is a positive aspect for the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Very tingly!! Meaning carbonated. There is a creamy taste while drinking this beer from the flavor but it has a low viscosity as seen from the pouring.

Overall: This beer is delicious. This is my first review and I'm excited that it is for this! I usually don't enjoy too heavy of an alcohol flavor but in this beer it is accentuates the other flavors and is fantastic.

Thanks