Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

I got this in a trade, thanks Austin!!!

Poured a deep red amber, interesting color. Head rapidly subsided.

Aroma was slightly sweet, not too complex. Very misleading going in to the first sip.

First taste was a bit syrupy, kick-in-the-gut bourbon. Flavors of caramel, and toffee, oak as well. A very bold malty sweetness, but pleasurable. Very complex after the initial smack with the 2x4. Doesn't seem too hot, unexpected. The thickness stays with you, and the varying flavors present themselves at different times. After a couple of sips I realize there is alcohol in it. Near the bottom of the glass I feel like I took a few nibbles of someones space cake. Man, my stomach is warm, goes up the pipe a bit too.
W O W.

My buddy who mainly drinks lagers (decent ones) tried it and loved it. He referred to it as dessert. I thought of it as the Main Course.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

This is a big beer. At over 10% ABV, it is not for the faint of heart. Combined with the significant barrel aged flavor, I would imagine a non-enthusiast would balk at this one. I was proved wrong, however, when my wife had a taste and gave it an enthusiastic review. I really like this beer, but cannot give it the best rating due to the heat of the alcohol. There are lots of great flavors, and I'd session it just to explore them all, as it would take some time to get past the bourbon barrel flavor. As a whiskey fan, this one has a lot to offer, but I would classify this as a specialty brew - I could almost taste a little funk that you might find in a brett. I qive this one a very qualified, but very enthusiastic recommendation.

Cheers.

3.54/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a deep dark chestnut brown with an almost non existant beige head.

S- smells like a pretty decent single malt scotch, with clove, cinnamon and some smokiness coming through.

T&M- consistenly while sipping this, i think of a watered down scotch with an oaky, smokey, black licorice taste.

D- well it seems very good to sip one or two or these but i cant imagine drinking anymore than that for that fact it actually makes my mouth and tongue water. as in i need to be replenished with water. not bad by any means, but most certainly not a session beer. good for sipping and makes me all tingly on the inside.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

Enjoying this beer fresh, 2011 batch.

A: Dark amber pour with thick foamy head that dissipates slowly. Looks velvety thick and inviting. Nice red hue to the beer once poured.

S: Bourbon and vanilla and oak! Smells fantastic! Can detect slight caramel and alcohol in the background. Smells like a barrel aged barleywine!

T: Malty, bourbon bomb, slight vanilla in the back with an oak finish. Delicious. Tastes a little hot right now though, slightly decreasing its drinkability. This is the only factor lowering the score. (Yes, it's a 10% ABV I expected this, but it is still a factor nonetheless.)

M: Silky. Carbonation is just right on this one. The hotness of the alcohol does play a bit into the mouthfeel however. This batch will be a masterpiece once it cools down a bit I think.

O: Fantastic beer. I'm going to go purchase some more, can't believe this is the first time I've ever tried it! Definitely tasty right now but I'm very interested in what a little aging will do to this beer.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Pours a dark reddish brown with a small tan head that dissipates soon thereafter. Surprising amount of lacing for a beer of this ABV.

S: TONS of bourbon. Alcohol, vanilla, caramel. I get mainly bourbon and not a lot of "beer" aroma.

T: A whole lotta bourbon up front, through the middle, and at the back end. A ton of caramel throughout, almost candy-bar like caramel taste and sweetness. A lot of vanilla. I get a herbal taste in the middle, kind of like dank green tea. Surprisingly not as dry as I would have thought, only slightly drying. The alcohol that comes through is distinctly spirit-like, which adds an interesting dimension to the taste. As it warms I notice the alcohol less and less, and the sweetness of the wee heavy more and more. I think without the sharpness and cleansing of the alcohol, this beer would be way too sweet. It's kind of like the alcohol acts as the hop bitterness in this case, and helps to balance this malt bomb.

M: Medium, quite creamy, and probably the stickiest beer I've ever drank. It attaches to your lips and holds on for dear life. Not a whole lot of carbonation.

This is a beer that packs a hefty bourbon punch, but also blends almost seamlessly with the wee heavy base. This is a brew that would probably benefit from a few years of aging.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.61/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.92/5  rDev +13.4%

Bottled 9/30/11 - Poured into tulip glass.

Pours a deep mahogany, a beautiful ruby when held to light, with a 1-2 finger tan head that slowly falls. Lots of lacing.

Right up front there's a lot vanilla, very oaky. Smells like a good bourbon with hints of warm caramel sweetness. One of the best smelling beers I've tried.

This is defiantly a bourbon drinkers beer. Just going to go ahead and say it here, if you don't like bourbon I seriously doubt you'll enjoy this. That being said, bourbon enthusiast, this is one for you. Right away there's that wonderful oaky vanilla sweetness that was so prominent in the nose. Behind that that there's a subtle smokiness (becoming more prominent as it warms) that really compliments the vanilla and oak. Hints of molasses and roasted malts. Alcohol is present (it is, after all, 10.2%) and lends a bit of warmth but it isn't overpowering or distracting. Finishes dry with a lingering sweetness.

Full bodied with very little carbonation. Really coats the palate.

This is the first offering I've tried from Founders and I'm an instant fan. Anyone that can make a beer like this knows what they're doing. Plain & Simple. With all that's great about this beer there are two things about it that make me sad; 1) It's only released once a year and 2) I don't have a fireplace to sit in front of (in a rocking chair of course) while sipping this wonderful drink. And at 10.2%, sipping may be the way to enjoy it.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company