Founders Backwoods Bastard - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Backwoods BastardFounders Backwoods Bastard

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Scotch Ale aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: CortexBomb on 01-30-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Backwoods Bastard Alström Bros

linoluck, Feb 13, 2014

Puck109, Mar 18, 2014
4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

DouglasNN, Aug 17, 2014

Chainring, Aug 28, 2014
3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured into a pint glass, served around 45-50 degrees. A - cloudy amber in color, very little carbonation, very little head when poured. S - Whew, smells like I'm taking a whiff from a bottle of bourbon (this is a good thing for me as I enjoy bourbon) Reminds me a little of JW Lees/Bourbon County Stout, in terms of smell. T - Definitely dominated by the bourbon. A little fruit/maple flavor after the initial sip, though still dominated by bourbon. M - Very thick, syrupy, almost like when you sip whiskey and savor it before swallowing. D - Not too good. Hot and bourbony, but almost too much. I really don't want another given this one has taken me about an hour to consume.

I've loved this beer in the past though can't remember if it's always this "hot" upon release. Right now the bourbon completely dominates the other flavors. I seem to remember it being a bit more balanced, even fresh. I'd like to give this 6+ months and see if the flavors seem to come together a bit making this a little easier to drink. The potential for greatness is there, just needs a little time I think.

BHwks, Nov 09, 2010

jbarger84, Dec 04, 2011
4.84/5  rDev +11.8%

Founders Backwards Bastard, aged 6 months in my fridge (yes, I am drinking it fresh), 10.2% ABV, a 12 oz. bottle and poured into a snifter glass.

Appearance: Poured deep ruby brown with a very little head and lacing.

Smell: Sweet caramel and smoky malt with a hint of vanilla, no pronounced hop presence, no obvious off flavors.

Taste: Candied dates and baking chocolate. There is also a spicy and earthy aftertaste that I attribute to the oak bourbon barrels used in the aging process and the 50 IBUs of hop flavor.

Mouth feel: Medium to full body and low carbonation. The bitter sweetness clings to the upper palette. There is definitely an umami effect as I keep running my tongue along my upper palette. Also a nice warming alcohol finish.

Overall: Founders has been making great beer for over 20 years. Backwards Bastard is an amazingly subtle yet complex beer. You will find the flavor change with each sip as the beer warms and the taste lingers. You can drink this with almost any rich food and meal course; from roasted garlic Portobello mushrooms, to a medium-rare rib eye, or a flourless chocolate raspberry cake. But why wait for the food. As my favorite late night talk show host would exclaim, “This is a beverage”.

YoDude, Jun 15, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

It's like Founders crafted the Backwoods Bastard just for me! I'm a bourbon guy and when I got my first whiff of it I knew it'd be one of my faves.

The tall glass was all dark reddish-brown with a tan head. The aroma is fantastic! It's like hovering over a Maker's mark manhattan with foam on the top. Taste-wise, it's like a "soft" shot & a hearty beer all in one. It's not a boilermaker - it's a well balanced combination of the two. It's on the sweet side but not overbearing, has a strong oak under-flavor, is medium bodied and I found it very drinkable.

Granted, if you're not a fan of bourbon - you will most likely not care for this brew. But if you are a fan ... Merry Christmas!

tipnsip, Dec 20, 2009

ShaBizzle, Nov 18, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Great caramel color and a thin ring of lace at the edge of the glass. Tons of bourbon and oak on the nose, a little vanilla. Taste follows aroma with some extra malti sweetness behind. Lightly carbonated and super smooth, moderate alcohol warmth. A sipper.

sneakybird, Jan 14, 2012

jlbreeden, Jan 29, 2012

This beer is not for your everyday beer drinker...This beer pours like the red seas...And the aroma of this beer opens up the bourbon barrel. the first sip is a full mouth of delight.But the way it makes you feel is the best.It is to bad thiss beer is very limited...thank-you Founder

AScribjr, Dec 11, 2010

GBRunner24, Nov 19, 2011

CTAID, Feb 03, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle poured into pint glass.
Went into this loving Founders and every beer I have had by them. One of my favorite breweries.

A: Pours a deep mahogany/ dark. Red when held to light. Beautiful. Not much head in my somewhat slow pour, but when I swirl the last half inch and pour it in, a nice head forms.

S: Caramel, and malty ,with fainter notes of vanilla, possibly some pecans/ nuts and dark fruit.

T: Raw chocolate, sweet grains, brown sugar. Bourbon comes through nicely on the back end of my mouth and gives a slightly tingly feeling to it. Tastes of booze. The Syrupy booze force is strong with this one. I think this beer would really shine with age on it. Good grain and malt profile, though it's nothing that is blowing my mind.

M: Sticky, sweet, and slightly prickly and numbing (possibly due to the high ABV and the bourbon). Good carbonation. Smooth and rounded and full. Slightly chewy.

O: I enjoyed this beer a lot. I think that some age would make this brew outstanding. As it stands, I really enjoyed it, but probably won't return to it consistently this season. The syrupy factor may have overwhelmed some of the nuanced flavors this brew is capable of. I may pick another one up to taste with a friend. I still love Founders and was satisfied with this.

Shalom

tdogg30, Sep 11, 2013

EricAlp, Jul 09, 2014

jmswry, Nov 23, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

A : very nice dark brown with a golden tint with a small amount of head

S: caramel and bourbon-milder bourbon aroma than I would have guessed

T: excellent, smooth, with a very well balanced amount of bourbon with a trace of caramel like sweetness

M: again, smooth with a medium body

D: you can have more than one but eventually the alcohol will limit you

Conclusion: one of my favorite beers

SASN, Dec 28, 2010

kona14, Nov 11, 2013
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

A: As soon as I finished the pour, the first color that came to mind was Burnt Sienna (thanks, Crayola.) The pour yielded a two finger head, which formed a solid, cream colored curtain as it died down.

S: Heavy amounts of vanilla, followed by bourbon and a hint of fruit (sweet raisins and cherries.)

T: Bourbon dominates initially. A rich malty sweetness follows to help mellow the bourbon. Vanilla and fruit (aforementioned raisins and cherries) make an appearance at the end.

M: Medium body. Definitely some heat from the alcohol, yet still smooth with a nice amount of carbonation.

D: Very drinkable, despite the ABV. A great brew to sit back and finish off the weekend with. I only tried 1/4 from the pack, as I am interested to see how it cellars.

jayt206, Dec 06, 2010