Founders Pale Ale - Founders Brewing Company

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

100% Cascade hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-10-2002)

1.15/5  rDev -68.8%

Appearance: Sort of an amber orange color w/ light orange head that was over carbonated, nothing to write home about.

Smell: Hints of grapefruit and citrus but very minor and hardly any hop aroma not what I would expect from a pale ale once again quite mediocre.

Taste: This what really let me down , terrible I don't know how to describe the taste(just trust me it's bad) and this really dissapointed me because I've really liked everything else I've had from Founder's (Breakfast Stout,Old Curmudgeon, Backwoods Bastard, Dirty Bastard(and I don't usually like scotch ale)so I was really let down, had to pour it out.

Mouthfeel: Tinny, Dry, hardly goes down.

Drinkability: None what so ever, although I did use it in a soup I made today instead of white wine and that came out ok, so I guess it does have some redeeming qualities after all, drinking is just not one of them.

1.64/5  rDev -55.6%

1.85/5  rDev -49.9%

This Founders brew pours to a half inch of liquid, and a 4 inch fizzy head. Dumped that pour and tried a different glass, same thing. Very annoying. Took me 6 minutes to empty the bottle. Smell is a medicinal hop aroma, seems artificial. Taste is again the artificial mediciney hop flavor. Not much else can be discerned. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. I barely finished this brew, I have no idea what happened here, and I hope this was an old lot.

1.95/5  rDev -47.2%

Appearance: Pours a deep honey yellow with visible carbonation throughout the body. A billowy tight white cap forms. I see bits of what I can only assume are hop floaties. Pretty good looking in my nonic tumbler.

Smell: A mix of citrusy hops, some floral hop notes, with a wheaty base to it. I'm picking up some yeast notes as well. A little light in this department but certainly forgiveable for the style.

Taste: A belgian yeasty funk dominates this brew. Not good in my book. Mostly floral hop notes noted. A wheat bread base to this is the most dominate flavor noted on the palate. A very yeasty and bready finish. I feel deceived as the aroma did not match the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied and prickly.

Drinkability: I'm sure had I expected this, it may be a nice summer session beer. It tasted too much like a bad belgian beer to me. I'm not sure if the batch was off or the yeast just went wild but this beer is WAY too funky for me. I won't be going back to this one for sure. Likeable enough I suppose but certainly not to style. Avoid.

Notes: I couldn't handle this beer. This was only the second beer I've ever had that ended up in a drain pour. Most definitely AVOID.

2.03/5  rDev -45%

Packaged in a stubby 12 oz twist off amber bottle
Served at fridge temp about 35F
Aroma at bottleneck: none noted
Pour: Wow, fizz bomb! 7/8 foam to 1/8 beer. Rock hard head, evidence of a heading agent? I walked away to let it settle, when I came back it was still a mountain of foam, like aerosol insulation. Carefully decanted the rest, raising the mountain of foam an inch or so above the rim of the pint glass.
Appearance in glass: very cloudy, light golden color.
Aroma in glass: very sweet, smells like honey, with a hint of citrus.
Taste: Sweet, with slight hop bitterness, watery mouthfeel, honey aftertaste.
Upon warming, a little more drinkable, but not actually tastier. Smells just like a cup of tea with a tablespoon of honey added. Not trying to be mean, but it just doesn't smell like an ale.
Drinkability: Poor, but not a sink-pour. I really hope this was a bad batch. It's hard to believe this is a dry hopped beer, since it has no hop aroma. From this sample it seems as if they tranferred the beer early to the bottling line--neither dry hopping it nor allowing it to ferment out completely before bottling. I'm going to come back to this beer in a couple months to see whether it was indeed a fluke, since Founders Red 's Rye and Founders Centennial are so nice.

2.08/5  rDev -43.6%

Pours a nice copper color, but with almost no head. Very sweet, almost pungent aroma. Overly sweet for a pale ale - it almost tastes artificially sweet (both I and the person I was drinking with said it tastes like Splenda was added to it). Nor is it very hoppy - I would never have guessed this was dry hopped. Also, way over-carbonated. Overall, not a great representation of an American Pale Ale, nor a beer from Founders.

2.2/5  rDev -40.4%

Dull amber-orange. The body of the beer is speckled with particles in suspension. No head to speak of . Just a slight collar that leaves sparse lace. Nose is citrus, orange peel and light biscuit malts. Flavor is sweet over bitter. For a pale ale, I'd call this a cloying sweetness even. Just not appropriate. Hops are minimized in it all. Some dry cedar like tones derived from hops I believe. Body is thick and syrupy. Really not that enjoyable.

2.23/5  rDev -39.6%

bottled 09/23/10

pours hazy golden copper with a 1+ finger head that faded and left some spotted lacing

smell - dry hopped lmao - faint bready caramel malt and light herbal hops

taste - wtf founders???? this is a watered down bready SNPA/Celebration

mouthfeel light medium with decent carbonation - the only highlight of this beer

drinkability - not good - the only weak link in founder's armor - i have had this beer a few times before but didn't want to throw up a negative review but this beer just never got better - shame on you founders

2.25/5  rDev -39%

A - Solid gold with a finely bubbled white head. Ok lace and retention.

S - Very light. Malt. Mild coriander.

T - Mildly soapy / lipid-like. Cardamom, coriander, light malt. Disappointingly one-note.

M - Light body with nice carbonation.

O - Surpising off-flavors. Possibly a bad bottle?

2.25/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Founders
20130830
12oz to libbey pub pint
5.4% ABV
35 IBUs
Bottled 07/24/13, purchased ~8/28/2013
A – A cloudy gold with a tinge of some amber, a tiny bit of transparency. Somewhat translucent. Thin layer of cream colored head.
S – Some OK fruitiness and plant aroma, and slightly burnt pizza crust. Grass, peach, cantaloupe, and a bit of citrus. An earthy smell that really reminds me of singed pizza crust. Also a faint note of greenness, like washed lettuce.
T – Grassy and green tasting, with a fair amount of bitterness. A faint amount of a citrusy melon. No other fruitiness or earthiness detected so far. Reminds me quite a bit of smelling lilies.
M – Light bodied and a tad soft on the tongue, with a good amount of gentle tingle. Somewhat sharp in the cheeks, feels rough. A pretty dry and rough finish that detracts a lot.
D – Seems quite unrefined and is not nice feeling to drink. Can’t recommend, and it would be hard to choose between a AAL and this given an option at a tailgate or something.
3.75, 2, 2.25, 2, 2.25; 2.13

2.28/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a clear gold with a thin heaad that disappears quickly. The aroma is floral with hints of caramel and dough. The flavor is spicy caramel with mild malt sweetness and strong hop bitterness but not overwhelming. It's mouthfeel is mediumn, dry and refreshing. Founders Pale Ale is a decent beer, recommended.

Founders Pale Ale from Founders Brewing Company