Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 4,014
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.
Reviews: 937 | Hads: 3,939
4.1/5  rDev -11.3%

$8 for a 6 oz pour at Uncle MIke's on Black Friday. Lots of subtle choco and a bit of coffee. Very smooth and not boozy at all.
Not as good as the hype, in my opinion

4.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

**FROM OLD NOTES, 05/31/15:
2011 aged, bottle to rocks glass. Philly beer week. Fiume Bar. Share 3oz pour with DC. Amazing. Complex. Candy. Maple influence is slight, but an overall sweetness really makes this delicious. Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, maple, love. In a bigger pour, would it become too sweet? In all likelyhood, I?ll never get the chance to find out.

4.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

9oz pour into an Allagash glass last night at MiKro in Hamden. Comes out dark as night with a small brown head that fades to nothingness. Smell is boozy, hints of raisin and fig, touch of wooden barrel, very big. Taste is layered to perfection. It stands on the sweeter side, big notes of chocolate and molasses. Hints of rum soaked fruit in the middle. Finish is long and sticky, you can taste the maple syrup here along with some roasty notes. While it sits heavier in the stomach, this beer is really easy to drink. There's not a ton of carbonation and that's OK. It's a big beer that demands to be sipped and is super rewarding if you do so. This is truly an amazing beer, waited a long time to have it.

4.61/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark brown/black color. Bourbony, glassy look to the lacing that floats on top of the beer. Smell is dominated by bourbon, coffee and some maple. Bourbon is strong but not overbearing on the taste, coffee comes through with some maple taste at the end. Smooth mouthfeel, some stickiness.

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a midnight brown. Foam is surprisingly light colored but stays very well. A lot of bourbon and booze on the nose. Some notes of coffee and chocolate as well but a little hidden behind. Still nice. More oak on the taste than I was expecting. The sweet and sting of the bourbon is nice. More of a drier rye bourbon. Gives it some oomph. Sweet chocolate and some coffee. Maple comes in at the end. Very smooth. Light carbonation. That bourbon and maple really stick, it's nice.

4.27/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Having wanted this beer since I got into craft beer I was hyped to finally be able to try it. It is a good beer but I guess the hype and anticipation outweighed how good the beer is. Im glad I got to try it but wouldn't give up my cellar for a bottle.

4.07/5  rDev -11.9%

Just recently got this on draft, served in a snifter. It poured tar black with no head or lacing. The nose was filled with chocolate and toffee. Taste wise it was very chocolatey with a little coffee, definitely wasn't as warm/boozy as KBS and the bourbon notes are very subdued. I didn't get much maple flavor from it, subtle at best. Glad I tried it but definitely a lot of hype and not a lot of bite.

1.51/5  rDev -67.3%

Def cooked!! And by cooked I mean way past prime. Smelled of funk and gym socks. Taste of rotten black licorice. Very disappointed in what I gave up for this beer.

4.94/5  rDev +6.9%

Intense coffee aroma. Great melding of coffee, chocolate, and bourbon flavors with just the right sweetness from the maple syrup. I wish the aroma had a bit more dimension, but this is a fantastic beer that deserves the praise it gets.

Had on tap. This was the white whale that I could have only dreamed of having since I had tasted my first craft beer 4-5 years ago.

L: Pours a pitch, impenetrable black with a small dark khaki colored had that became nothing but a ring after a few second. I hold this up to the light and see nothing but black.

S: Smells of coffee, alcohol (at first) and a faint maple sweetness. I pick up some chocolate as well. This smells very nice, but the initial pour that I had was colder than it should be. As this warmed, the aroma became more pronounced and the coffee and maple were able to shine.

T: As previously mentioned, the initial pour was pretty cold which yielded some alcohol. I am rating this on what I tasted as this warmed. Coffee and sweet bourbon come through in a strong way. There is a sweetness that is brought forth by the maple syrup that makes this very desirable. The flavors mesh well together and the way this beer is constructed, each flavor is able to shine through throughout the experience. I have had more maple forward coffee stouts, but as a Founders barrel aged stout, I get exactly what I'm expecting, which is a smooth, well rounded stout.

F: This feels higher than the 10.6% that Founders says this is. This is a thick, chewy stout, but it's pretty easy to drink. I was able to polish off 12 ounces of this in a relatively short time. As this warms, the alcohol presence predictably disappears and allows this stout to become smoother and well balanced.

Overall: I had supremely high hopes for this beer. This was the beer that I dreamed to have when I first started getting into craft beer. I actually started drinking craft beer about a month after this beer was released. This beer had some sentimental value to me as it was released on the day that my grandmother passed away. I put this beer on my list of white whales with the understanding that I may never try this in my life. This beer lives up to the hype for me. It is not as coffee or maple forward as some other beers that I have had. However, CBS is a beer brings flavors together in a way that other breweries cannot do. I am completely satisfied and if I ever see this beer available again, I will not hesitate to order it.

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For look and smell, this was at a festival in the drizzle, so kinda hard to tell. The flavor, however, was amazing. I thought at first it was a tiny bit too sweet, until I had another (4.25+ on BA) imperial stout that proved just how balanced CBS is. This beer is just perfectly balanced, truly amazing. I always want a tiny bit more carbonation in these, but even this was a minor detractor. So delicious.

4.52/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Beggar's Banquet, East Lansing, MI on 12/9/14. Served in a 12 oz. snifter
A: Pitch black liquid, ring of brown lace. More head please.
S: Some molasses, some whiskey (not hot), maple syrup, lots of vanilla and chocolate.
T: Sweet, molasses, licorice, cane sugar. Not hot. Maybe a tad too sweet. A bit more roast would be nice. Slight coffee and chocolate in the aftertaste as it warms.
M: Warm, but not hot. Silky. Not roasty.
O: Very good. This whale fell in my lap - surprise release today! It was worth the wait. Quite good.

8 oz pour (2015)
Dark black pour. Small dirty head.
Smells of slight vanilla, roastiness, sweetness. Very mouthwatering.
The smell follows through on the taste. Up front the roastiness and barrel character come through (vanilla, slight wood). There is no heat in the aftertaste, just a nice sweetness that lingers.
The mouthfeel is thick and completely coats the mouth.

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hey, this is a really solid beer. Great coffee and maple. Super clean and bright for a BA stout. The flavors really sing. With that said, it's not really a top 10 all time for me.

4.69/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer in a 12oz snifter at a KBS-CBS-Blushing Monk tasting event. Beautiful pitch black pour with a dark khaki head. Mouthfeel is on the thicker side like its other breakfast stout brethren. The syrupy-sweet of the maple syrup really builds on the (already excellent) smell of KBS, and adds another layer to the taste, but 4 or 5 ounces in, that sweetness starts to get cloying. Ultimately the maple syrup addition is a nice tweak to an already phenomenal base beer, but compounding the saccharine notes of bourbon with still-more-saccharine maple syrup was a little much for my tastes. Though I'd place the standard KBS higher on my personal list, this is the superior choice for anyone who wants to go sweeter still. Regardless, personal nitpicks aside, this is an incredible beer.

4.79/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

on tap at a CBS release party. poured pitch black. smelled coffee, chocolate, bourbon, hint of maple syrup. i expected to taste more maple, but definitely tasted the chocolate, bourbon, coffee. fairly thin, would love it to be a tad thicker. overall, an amazing beer. obviously had very high expectations for it, and it's right up there with the best of them.

4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

i finally got my hands on this one. i had to pay dearly and i had HIGH expectations. I dont know if the bottle was stored properly or what but this wasnt as good as I had hoped. Still a great beer. maple syrup was very pronounced. not overly boozy. great beer. i'd love to try a fresh one to compare

3.09/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Too maple syrupy and sweet for me. Way too sweet. KBS is much better.

This resembles a mixture breakfast sausage and vanilla, doused in maple syrup.
And I mean that in the worst way possible.

It Looked great. Didn't smell bad either. I'm sorry but the taste is just gross.

Don't get me wrong it's still a decent beer but I don't think this is world class at all. I would give it like an 80 out of 100

4.79/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Pitch black, with a persistent khaki head.

S: Bourbon and maple up front, followed by chocolate, coffee, and vanilla.

T: Bourbon-soaked fudge leads, followed by maple sugar and crème brûlée. I could drink this forever. The finish is complex: bourbon, maple syrup, and chocolate, fading into oak and coffee.

F: Not as thick as it could be, but not overly thin, either.

O: A world-class barrel-aged stout. Not worth a two-hour line, but decidedly delicious.

4.46/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was a great beer....but after all the hype and build up I agree with reviews that say it was rather thin....still very good but not one that quite lived up to its legend for me.

Had this at the tap room during KBS week. Probably the best beer I have ever had. The maple sweetness taste caps off the chocolate/coffee/bourbon flavor and all works perfect together. Not to sweet and not to strong. Can't wait to have it again

3.9/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

i had this on tap... loads of licorice and chocolate, some brownie like fudge oak has given a red wine like bitterness which i dont like too much, this is pretty good but was disappointing!! its very thin..

4.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer didn't do as much as I hoped it would for me. It was well executed but the maple linger was the only thing that really set it apart from a lot of the well done coffee stout world. I'd still rather drink BCBCS. I'll be revisiting this in a couple weeks when I have another shot at this beer.

Served: January 2015, Rustico Arlington, Mini-snifter.

4.56/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A hint sweeter than I'd have wanted, but that's the nature of the beast - the beast being the crazy amount of maple syrup in there. I'd take the KBS over this one, probably, but let's be real here: this is the epitome of the style. Smoother than it should be, and reasonably balanced, but the flavor tips over to maple pretty heavily. Still, you get a fair share of chocolate, wood, practically no bitterness, and a decent head but mild carbonation. Rich and succulent, this would be the perfect desert beer after a hefty steak and paired with some chocolate cake or something, or just sipped by itself beside a fire. Not worth the 5 star rating, but get some if you can!

4.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Enjoyed from keg of the 2014 batch at Ray's Beer Gallery. Pours a deep dark toasty stout. The noise was immediately of carmel and maple syrup. Not very boozy and easy to drink (I went back for a 2nd pour of 16oz)

Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company