Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Wants: 2,884
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders CBS Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Rons35

02-19-2013 21:56:21 | More by Rons35
mschofield

12-09-2011 21:22:06 | More by mschofield
PlinytheFarter

I lucked out and snagged a bottle from a local shop before they jacked the price up to internet price. I had previously had some pours of this at the Three Floyds Anniversary party thanks to a few very kind beer geeks in line. I savored these tastes like no other. Yes hype is annoying and getting worse I feel within the awesome loving beer community, but fuck if this didn't live up to it. This is my all time favorite stout if not beer. Judge me as a hype whore or not it's so freaking delicious it pains me that I can't have it all the time. Although I think the hunt, find, and pour for friends actually adds to the fun and love of this beer. It's an event when you get a bottle. I will always drink it fresh after having tasted a year old and a fresh. I love the coffee notes and those become less noticeable with age. It's almost relieving knowing I enjoy something so great fresh, so when I do get a bottle I don't have to put in the cellar for a year or more to enjoy it. If anyone wants to send me a bottle ever please mail me.

It looks like heaven.

It smells like heaven.

It tastes like heaven.

Overall this beer is heaven.

12-24-2011 19:01:54 | More by PlinytheFarter
cogitodp

11-26-2013 00:47:33 | More by cogitodp
monitorpop

A: Almost opaque black, with a nice mahogany glow on the edges, creamy head faded away between the pour to being served.

S: Strong sweet aroma with subtile chocolate and coffee. Gives a bit of alcohol burn to the nose.

T: Mild roasted coffee, sweet maple syrup, subtile bourbon, faint chocolate with a touch of vanilla.

M: Smooth, low carbonation, no alcohol burn.

O: One of the best beers I have ever had. I love sweet, low hop imperial stouts and this is certainly one of the best.

10-08-2011 15:15:22 | More by monitorpop
H0POFF

12-27-2011 19:37:47 | More by H0POFF
carmike813

Poored into a stemmed
Stout glass

A- beautiful tan syrup head that held for about half of the drink it made the aromas pop while drinking

S- sweet maple syrup notes with coffee were present throughout, no alcohol scents at all...The sweet syrup scents were prevalent and refreshing

T- wow, right off the top I got coffee flavors strong and velvety and as the beer started to warm up (I took my time with this bottle) theatre syrup taste rose up

M- smooth velvet .... So easy to drink

Overall- this beer lives up to the hype, it has such a great balance coupled with complexity that it would be tough to top. Too bad this is so rare... But wow what a wonderful contraption from FBS

08-10-2013 11:58:58 | More by carmike813
midlifec

12-20-2011 23:24:19 | More by midlifec
ToddThompson

09-23-2013 14:55:13 | More by ToddThompson
Dope

A: Pitch black with a very dark chocolate brown head. So dark that you can almost imagine it staining the glass. Even just at thin film residue leftover is noticeably dark. Head retention is relatively good too.

S: Stunning. Smells absolutely amazing. Very strong. Lots of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, bourbon, maple, vanilla and oak. Even a little alcohol sting in the nose but not too badly.

T: Holds up to the smell and then some. As mentioned, good chocolate/coffee/roasted malt bitterness. Bourbon and oaky vanilla are a bit more prominent when it's cold. Maple apparent especially in the aftertaste. As it warms the bourbon and oak relaxes a little bit and it smooths out to become even more incredible.

M: Super smooth and silky unlike any beer I've had. Thick but not unpleasantly so. Not far from guzzling hershey's syrup.

O: Amazing stout. My previous all-time favorite was KBS and this somehow topped it. I'd rate this all 6s if I could, nothing outside of KBS even comes close. Absolutely decadent and delicious on all levels. A must try for any beer lover.

10-24-2011 18:11:17 | More by Dope
Azurelimits

12-05-2011 13:15:58 | More by Azurelimits
Ruger44

01-12-2012 15:55:35 | More by Ruger44
fiver29

On tap at Mike’s Bar and Grill during Cleveland Beer Week. Huge thanks to Founders for bringing some kegs of this this week. Just awesome. I have been searching for the perfect beer for years. I found it last night. The guy next to me said he had this last week in a bottle and tonight was his first time on tap. He said it was clearly better on tap. I have only had this once. On tap. Last night. So this review is based on what I enjoyed last evening. Pours pitch black with a slight tan ring around the edges. Looks like what I would expect. I put the glass up to my nose and whiff. Whoa. Layers of aromas. First I noticed a stickly sweet maple, then a touch of coffee, roast, and wood made a noticeable note here as well. I smelled this a few times because I was surprised by the complexity just in the aroma. I took a sip. My first thought was "Holy Fuck". An explosion of flavor hit me. Upfront their was a strong sense of coffee, followed very closely by a touch of maple sweetness, then a touch of dark roast from the grain bill and a slight note of vanilla with some booze notes that was not at all hot. The booze flavors were hid well by the way this was barrel aged and melded perfectly in the finished product. There really was no booze as there was just a note of it and it made for a perfectly rounded beer. The finish combined all of the above ever so slightly. There was no cloying sweetness. Nothing over the top. Everything in this beer was perfectly represented from start to finish. I honestly never thought I would give a perfect score to any beer. Until now. This one for me goes beyond the hype and was worth every sip.

10-22-2011 03:11:51 | More by fiver29

Phacoman

10-01-2012 01:36:56 | More by Phacoman
kdmcguire10

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Founders CBS snifter

Dark as night pour with a fluffy caramel head, 1 finger that dissipates rather quickly.

Sweet milk chocolate smell blended perfectly with espresso notes. The maple and bourbon ties it all together perfectly.

So incredibly smooth tasting. Roasted caramel and coffee notes. Slight sweetness from the maple, but it's not overpowering. It blends so well with the bourbon. The alcohol is so well-hidden with just a slight warming sensation on the back end. Everything a world-class stout should taste like. Wow.

Luxurious mouthfeel. Thick, luscious velvet-like texture. I could almost eat this with a spoon.

Epic beer! This is truly a masterpiece - a real luxury. The perfect stout in my estimation. This is the gold standard by which all imperial stouts should be judged.

01-01-2012 02:47:25 | More by kdmcguire10