2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)
Ratings: 2,268 | Reviews: 752 | Show All Ratings:
peacemakers48

Honored to try the last batch ever of this fantastic beer. This is the 2011 version and according to the founders rep here, is the last of this beer. This is one of the finest beers that I have ever had. As close to a perfect drink as you can get. It tastes like breakfast stout with a subtle maple taste. Wow!

04-05-2014 15:30:56 | More by peacemakers48
TheCuriograph

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Been sitting on my bottle for a bit, but it was at risk of becoming a beer so hyped I'd never find the right occasion to open it. Finally cracked it on one of our Polar Vortex evenings, while watching a movie.

A - Impenetrable jet black with a cafe au lait head. One finger and then it's gone. Comparable appearance to KBS.

S - Much stronger than KBS. There's not the subtle integration of vanilla, coffee and bourbon, but all of that is present. This is assertively sweet, massively smoky, and rich like espresso. Big, brash, alluring nose.

T - Sweet like a flourless chocolate cake or a dark chocolate mousse, what a huge burnt oak smokiness. The lighter vanilla, toffee, and maple notes only come later. It immediately obliterates your taste buds, but as it warms and you settle in the flavors integrate. By halfway through, it's an incomparable confluence.

M - Thick as oily, sticky and smooth.

I'd liken CBS to falling asleep in a humidor flooded with cocoa. This is a huge, baroque stout. I hear tell that fresh, this brew was dominated by coffee and maple. Those seem less present in this bottle, but I loved ever sniff and sip of it. I couldn't drink this every week (which I definitely could with KBS), but I'd love another snifter of it sometime. Fat chance, that happening.

02-07-2014 00:29:02 | More by TheCuriograph
Abbbp

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Tasted on NYE, thanks for sharing, split 3-ways... 10 oz pour into snifter

A - perfect. Oily blackish-brown. Sliver of khaki head that just hung around the whole way, made for great beer mustache pictures.

S - maple has expectedly faded but still engrained subtlety in the big chocolate and heavy coffee notes that dominate. Getting some vanilla, possibly from the oak?

T - oh man, this is not the "maple mess" that I was scared or misled to believe it has become. The best tasting brew I've ever experienced. Dear god, the roasty sweetness, coffee, chocolate, bourbon, barrel... All still evident, and just melded together divinely.

M - low carbonation, as expected. Lingering taste, oily coating the gums and a tremendous aftertaste that leaves you dying for more.

O - as mentioned the best beer I've ever drank. Sad that I got into great beer late in the game, would've loved to try this fresh. Seek and share my fellow BA's this was a personal white whale that took me down. Permanently ISO:!!!! Can't wait for BrickStone in May.

01-02-2014 17:04:01 | More by Abbbp
thedoubler55

4.98/5  rDev +6.9%

A: This pours a very dark black color, does not leave a huge head but did leave some frothy tan ring around the top the whole time, left a nice lacing around the glass as well.

S: Up front some chocolate and coffee with slight hints of the barrel as it warms, a little hint of vanilla here and there.

T: The flavors are tremendous, lots of chocolate and coffee notes, the maple is a tiny bit present in the sweetness you get, good notes of roast from the coffee and malts, a very well balanced, brew, amazing!

M: Thick but not to crazy, a slight bit of carbonation, and a bit sticky.

D: Probably the best stout I have ever tried in my life, this beer was perfect in all sorts of way, so happy I was able to get my hands on this brew, nothing but perfection Founders.

12-03-2013 16:25:27 | More by thedoubler55
roger617

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Acquired via trade, possibly my favorite trade thus far. Bottle poured into snifter.

A: Extremely dark. Not exactly black, but just 1 or 2 shades shy of black, on the brown side. Pours with just shy of 1 finger of khaki head that reduces fairly quickly and leaves almost no lacing.
S: I get a large amount of vanilla and maple up front, and lingering throughout. The roasty bourbon goodness takes a back seat, and compliments very nicely. All the aromas blend together so well.
T: All of the flavors in this mesh so well, I can't believe this is a one off beer. The sweetness of the maple and vanilla hit up front, with a tiny amount of heat from the bourbon in the back ground, and finally the roast rounding out all the flavors almost like a binder for the sweet and heat.
M: This goes down way too easily for such a high ABV beer. There's a lower level of carbonation, with a silky smooth sweetness that begs me craving for more.
O: I do my best not to look into the hype of desirable beers, but wow does this one live up to any and all expectations. I love the way all the components blend together, with nothing being overpowering. So complex, well blended depth, and an all around great beer.

11-23-2013 21:16:58 | More by roger617
zipper8650

4.34/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good beer Sunday is back this week
A - black with a nice thick mocha head that disappears fairly quick. Nice lacing. Poured straight down them middle into snifter
S - coffee is strong for me, everything else is in the background
T - coffee ice cream, black licorice , maple, dark chocolate
M - really nice thick syrupy feel
O- overall really good, not as great as I expected, I thought this one was definiltly going to blow me away. I was more impressed when I stumbled upon BB Siren Noir last week (advertised as regular version). It's all about expectations.
Skol

10-07-2013 00:11:20 | More by zipper8650
PHBoiler

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Deep black body with some lighter hues on the surface when swirled. You can smell a bit of the maple still on the nose and it lightens up the bourbon scent. Very warm and inviting scent that is well rounded. This beer is very smooth. The slight maple flavor combines well with the vanilla, oak, and light bourbon flavors. The body is well made and slightly thinner than a bourbon county. It is very much a full and richly flavored beer. Some said that the beer has not gained anything with age. I have no base to compare it to. I would say this beer is currently drinking very well but the maple is not acutely strong. You may want to set up a bottle share and get on this one.

09-26-2013 15:37:42 | More by PHBoiler
MusicaleMike

4.2/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Next up in the Backstage Series...CBS! Poured this uber-hype beer into a balloon glass.

The body of this beer is a midnight oil black, and it seems to have a pretty thick texture as well. It is topped by a rich, creamy, frothy tan head that sits about two fingers deep and displays excellent staying power. Hard to criticize much here.

The aroma is a bold mix of all those sweet adjuncts...notes of coffee and cream, chocolate, light maple syrup, roasted grains, vanilla. No hops here.

On the palate CBS hammers the tongue with chocolate, coffee, maple, vanilla and bourbon. There isn't much elegance to it, but what would be the fun in that? No, this beer is huge! Enormous, viscous body and inherently slick on the tongue. The cocoa flavor is a standout, and the coffee comes out more in the exhale. The maple barrel sweetness comes in mid swallow, and then finishes with more chocolate.

Many claim this beer is over-the-hill, and I suppose since I never had fresh CBS, I wouldn't be able to tell personally. However, I can tell that this beer is definitely not "over-the-hill" and that while the maple flavor may has eroded over time, this is still a very good beer.

09-23-2013 02:45:47 | More by MusicaleMike
KFBR392

Appearance: Jet black. Menacing brown head. Less then a half of finger of head on the pour. Surprising amount of active carbonation. Some random lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Heavenly. Lots of sweet maple syrup still alive in the aroma. Rounded bourbon with lots of toffee, chocolate, and deep malt. Every time I take it in a different aroma rises and showcases itself.

Taste: The front of this beer is so easy drinking and feels soft on the palate then explodes with massive flavors. The maple syrup, chocolate, and toffee really stand out. The bourbon character has mellowed greatly and is a great complimentary accessory. The finish is a slight bourbon tingle and dark roasted malt and chocolate.

Mouthfeel: This beer is heavy yet drinks so easily. Just an amazing drinking experience.

Overall: My first time with this gem. I hate the 5/5 review but this beer deserves it. I could be more lengthy and masturbatory with my review but this beer speaks for itself. Worth every dollar I spent.

09-20-2013 00:54:24 | More by KFBR392
carmike813

Poored into a stemmed
Stout glass

A- beautiful tan syrup head that held for about half of the drink it made the aromas pop while drinking

S- sweet maple syrup notes with coffee were present throughout, no alcohol scents at all...The sweet syrup scents were prevalent and refreshing

T- wow, right off the top I got coffee flavors strong and velvety and as the beer started to warm up (I took my time with this bottle) theatre syrup taste rose up

M- smooth velvet .... So easy to drink

Overall- this beer lives up to the hype, it has such a great balance coupled with complexity that it would be tough to top. Too bad this is so rare... But wow what a wonderful contraption from FBS

08-10-2013 11:58:58 | More by carmike813
vgarneth

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

I enjoyed this brew last night with my brother and brother-in-law (who's actually from Canada... Edmonton, Canada, born and raised). We all agreed this ale was delicious from start to finish. Popping the cap, you take in the coffee, chocolate, maple syrup, and bourbon aromas. While pouring, you notice the deep, dark color with a head to match. I wish I would've opened this one a little earlier; however, Founders still came through. Some of the flavors weren't as strong, yet still very bold. As many have said, this is a great beer and I'd definitely recommend this one!

08-04-2013 14:58:49 | More by vgarneth
vinny21bal

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Not much I can say. according to my untapped app. I have tried over 600 beers just this year and CBS is the Best beer I have ever had hands down. It is pure perfection from the mouth feel being as rich as it is, the maple coffee, wood flavors. This is what everyone that makes beer should aim to do. This is the beer that sets the stage. If you get a chance to trade for one, do it. There might not be as much life in it at this point but it still has to be good.

07-31-2013 18:31:02 | More by vinny21bal
bmwats

Louisiana

4.38/5  rDev -6%

From notes 7/7/13

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Dark brown or black. Slight, bubbly head. Settles quickly, leaving a foam ring and a slight smattering of bubbles. Spotty, but distinct lacing.

S: Roasted coffee, dark bittersweet chocolate, molasses, and a little maple syrup.

T: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and maple syrup.

M: Buttery, hearty, thick, and syrupy. A bit of a char-roasty aftertaste.

D: Sip and enjoy. So smooth, mellow, and balanced.

Overall, this is a great quaff. As good as it gets.

07-21-2013 03:00:56 | More by bmwats
Spaten454

4.1/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Jet black with a thin milk chocolate colored head that hangs around for a while. Nice lacing.

S - Bourbon, coffee, roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, sugary sweetness

T - Chocolaty-bourbon with a coffee backbone. Maple is not very present at all. I drank a Better Half a few weeks before the CBS and the maple in the Better Half is still very dominate.

M - Medium carbonation, really smooth but a little thinner then I was expecting.

O - A very delicious, well made beer. Wish I got a chance to try it fresh.

07-15-2013 00:02:09 | More by Spaten454
Lucho

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

I would first like to say that so many people talk about how this beer has fallen off and is past its prime. I honestly now believe that if that is true then this must have been the best beer ever brewed in the history of BA stouts. I have been waiting 6 months to open this bottle. here we go

A: Pours a lovely almost pitch-black with an incredible mocha brown head that fades rapidly.

S: The smell is the only score I did not give a 5 I gave it a 4.75. There are sweet chocolate and a slight roasted coffee on the nose that I am surprised had not faded. There is also a bourbon scent but it is almost all blended together but that is not bad just means its all well integrated as it aged.

T: This is the stuff that dreams are made of. Nice sweet maple bourbon and nice and sweet up front. Then the roast of coffee and slight bitter sweet chocolate come in with the hint of bourbon. very well blended in almost a story telling way with each sip. If this is faded flavors that I am tasting then this must have been the top gun when it released because it is drinking so well and composed right now.

M: This is also where this beer is perfect in every way for the style. the beer sits on your tongue with each sip and the carbonation is spot on. I couldn't imagine a beer being so well done.

Overall this is a beer that everyone should try before they die. I have another one and put it FT but I am taking it back. Its so good that if I could never get another then I would never trade it for ANYTHING. Go out and find this beer. even if you have to buy it online for $150. It is worth everything and anything. Cheers

07-14-2013 21:55:35 | More by Lucho
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.99/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Poured a deep black with good carbonation leaving a short lived but healthy tannish head. A small dose of lacing clings to the glass after a few sips

S: Some maple upfront, bourbon, chocolate, coffee and oats. A little bit of booze stings the nostrils.

T: Upfront I get oats smothered in bourbon, chocolate and maple with a splash of bourbon. The flavors seemed to be a bit muddled and/or faded. Some waivering vanilla darts in and out. The finish has a sweetness coupled with a lingering roastiness, not bitter though.

M: Hearty for sure. Well carbonated, sweet, chewy. Loads of flavor saturate the palate. Pretty decadent feel.

O: I am extremely glad I finally got my hands on this beer. Nicely done. However, if I want a Maple Stout I will take a Berserker anyday.

07-08-2013 17:34:17 | More by barleywinefiend
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

***I'm celebrating my 500th beer had/review! I knew I wanted to try something special from my cellar for the occasion, and I thought to myself, what better beer to drink on Canada Day? Perfectly cheesy!

A- black... And appears slightly oily in consistency/texture. There is a small, dark-tan head that slowly disappears, leaving behind a slight ring around he edge of the glass. The lacing looks oily and bubble-laden, but does not coat/stain the glass like Dark Lord.

S- Bourbony oak, brownie, espresso beans: it's complex, yet faint... Things are not jumping out at me and overpowering each other. I do get a bit of licorice in the end as it warms.

T- slight warmth from the boubon, chocolate cake/brownie,oak, coffee, and some fig and maple in the finish. I still get a touch of maple, but I was also looking for it... I must say it was not detectable until it warmed up. The lingering taste has a nice bourbon ash taste... Ash doesn't sound appealing, but it's quite nice (I'm going to say that is the tobacco flavor). As it gets even warmer, I am starting to get a slight anise flavor I have read about. IMO, these flavors that people have been harping on are making it even more complex and bringing out a lot of depth... I am enjoying it.

M- as the appearance lead me to believe, it is slightly oily, but it has the perfect amount of carbonation. It is smooth, but the alcohol warmth masks it from feeling velvety.

O- this was a special occasion beer, and I must admit that I was quite giddy to try it. It's hard to say whether it stood up to the hype I had built up, but I feel like the fact that it's the 500th different beer I had made it feel special... Besides, I prefer my KBS with some age on it, and I thought Better Half was a bit strong in the maple department when I tried it fresh. That being said, I would have liked the opportunity to try CBS fresh, but that's not how it played out...

07-01-2013 23:38:45 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
BMMillsy

Trade at the Swamp Head release from burg3. Poured and enjoyed in late spring 2013. HUGE thanks and still feel the need to send some additional studf his way soon. Pours from the 750 ml thick, black and viscous. A one finger brown creamy head forms at the top and lingers for a good while. Big bourbon vanilla aroma that mellows into bittersweet chocolate and then earthy spicy coffee. Taste is big up front chocolate syrup and slight bourbon followed by maple (did not fade in this bottle as others have said), and ending with spicy coffee beans. Earthy mocha lingering on the palate with the maple sweetness. These flavors blend together so seamlessly. Mouthfeel is thick thick thick with lowish carbonation. The bourbon is there but doesn't take over and the coffee ite keeps this from being too sweet. I was worried about being disappointed with this but I am not. What a world class brew.

05-18-2013 00:48:43 | More by BMMillsy
sguzman

This has to be one of the best Imperial Stout by Founders. I am a big fan of Imperial Stout beers and Found has tip the scale on this one. I cannot wait to taste it ontap. Founders usually makes an appearance in late Spring in either at Bind Tiger or RattleAndHum on 33rd East street.

05-15-2013 19:45:27 | More by sguzman
basickness

4.8/5  rDev +3%

ok, this is just a heads up over a true review. when i had it on tap in january '12 it was GREAT. syrup, burbon, beer, and pure awesomeness. no joke. enough that i bought 3 bombers at $30 a pop.

now to today... in the past month i have opened 2 bottles, one from my stash, one from a friends... the maple has pretty much, i'd say 99% fell off and is damn near gone... and that is what but the C in Cbs... not saying that this thing went bad or anything of the sort, but be advised, the syrup is damn near gone... so if you have a bottle, open the damn thing, or sit on it for eternity.

05-08-2013 17:10:10 | More by basickness
Etan

Wisconsin

3.53/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle shared by Oscar and Caitlin, into a snifter.

A. Black with some woody tones, and a small tan head.

S. Thick chocolate, mint-like note, light oak and vague coffee.

T. More chocolate, licorice, hint of coffee, anise, caramel, sugar.

M. Thick-bodied with light carbonation.

O. The only thing that hasn't faded is the chocolate, which leaves the beer quite sweet. No bourbon, no maple, barely any coffee. Some licorice/anise flavors have also developed, which isn't really good.

05-07-2013 06:17:44 | More by Etan
macrosmatic

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to augustg for this bottle! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Peg's snifter glass.

A: Dark, nearly black, and opaque. Forms about 3/4 of a finger's worth of tan head, more than expected. No visible carbonation.

S: Bourbon, vanilla oak, sweet (maple syrup?), dark roasted malts - the cacao barely dominant over the coffee - and some lactose sweetness.

T: Dark chocolate beans, bourbon, oak, some coffee, sweet maple, some raw tobacco, and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon. Bourbon is noticeable but smoothed by the sweetness, and enhances the rest of the flavors. Hang is creamy sweet plus roasted coffee bitter and the oaky vanilla...and is teeth-sucking good.

M: Great mouthfeel - smooth and silky. Low carbonation sensation, and the alcohol is obvious but integrated into the flavors of the beer.

O: Really, really good. Wow. I'm very glad I had the chance to drink this. After hearing many people opine that the maple has fallen off, I wish I had had the chance to drink one fresher - but even as it is today, it still meets and perhaps exceeds the hype. I'm very impressed.

04-29-2013 01:52:00 | More by macrosmatic
jaasen64

4.2/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22oz bottle poured into a HF stemmed glass. Consumed on 4/19 right before '12 + '13 KBS, reviewed from notes, bottle split three ways. I believe this bottle is approaching around a year and half old right now. Thanks Don (DonFrap) for sharing a long time want.

A- Pours a pitch black with a thin creamy mocha brown head, slightly above average retention leaving light lacing. Like most of the Founders beers I've had this beer looks extremely appealing.

S- Dark chocolate, chocolate chips, maple syrup, oak, subtle bourbon lurking in the background, definitely above average aroma strength but not overly aromatic.

T- Dark chocolate that is slightly on the bitter side, maple syrup, vanilla, light oak, some light creamy coffee on the finish. Overall nice balance although coffee maybe faded a little bit at this point.

M- Smooth, velvety, nice carbonation, very easy drinking.

O- This was a very good stout that lived up to expectations but is probably a little bit overrated. I never had this fresh but in my opinion comparing it to both the '12 KBS and '13 KBS (CBS outdates '12 KBS by ~4-5 months) it is falling off a little bit. Like the '12 KBS the coffee seemed to have faded a little bit and there was a little bit more bitterness to the chocolate then I was expecting which was similar to how the '12 KBS compared to the '13 KBS. Overall like the '13 KBS I think I might have enjoyed this a little bit more when it first came out. That being said it was still delicious and well worth seeking out.

04-26-2013 20:49:38 | More by jaasen64
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pitch black with translucent edges. Thin lacing, dark coffee roast in color. No legs

S- Maple barrels, oak, chocolate, toffee. Black liquorice is in the nose faintly as well.

T- The maple is definitely present. It is actually the first thing that I notice. Amazing what cellaring properly will do for a beer. Then there is this mix between black liquorice/ charred dark fruit/chocolate/toffee to round out the taste.

M- I expected this to be thicker, it poured thicker than the M. It is about as thick as KBS, with minimal carb following

O- I am so glad to finally have tried this. I got this off of a guy who has some of the best cellaring techniques out there, so I knew I was going to get maple forward. Very happy to have tried this!

04-20-2013 18:20:49 | More by gueuzedreg
shand

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yet another of the Top 5 knocked out by Redbird. In fact, I'm pretty sure all of the top 5 beers I've had have been from Redbird at this point. Big ups to him. CBS pours black with a finger of head that quickly drops down. The aroma is very sweet, with big bourbon notes shining through a dark fruit and roasted malt base. On the tongue, a smooth maltiness, vanilla, and dark fruit comes through first, then a bit of anise, chocolate, and the faintest hint of coffee on the middle that transitions gloriously to the thing that I can tell gives CBS it's reputation. That awesome, fantastic lingering maple and bourbon aftertaste. The mouthfeel is actually a little lighter than I would have expected. Overall - CBS wasn't my absolute favorite big stout - but I can forgive it, it's a little bit old at this point. It's still very delicious and worthy of the hype.

04-13-2013 00:35:16 | More by shand