Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 3,449
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,262 | Reviews: 907
4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours nearly black with amber highlights. I was expecting a thicker and darker pour. I thought it would gloop into the glass like many stouts of this caliber do. It leaves a small dark brown head that leaves a pretty sticky lacing.

Chocolate, oak, maple syrup, roasted/burnt malts are in the aroma. A slight warming alcohol that is surprising subtle and well hidden. Vanilla and coffee are also dominant.

Loads of maple syrup, roasty malts chocolate, dark roasted coffee in the flavor. Bourbon has a large presence but it isn't harsh. Tastes like a nice smoky breakfast.

Thick and luxurious mouthfeel. Coats the mouth thoroughly. Sweet, but not cloying. Finishes with coffee and roasted bitterness.

Of course this beer was over-hyped, but it is an awesome beer. Everything I'd want in an imperial stout. Beers are like Dark Lord are impressive with the amount of flavor, but this is still a balanced, complex, flavorful stout, that isn't too alcoholic or sweet.

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

I had not reviewed this beer but have had it a few years ago in bottle and on draft during the same release. It is a amazing stout with the flavours of Canadian whiskey barrels abounding. We got to drink from a sixtel and I had five pours in one sitting. Fortunately I lived down the street and was given a heads up about the release in advance. Thanks Travis! Just wanted to check this one off for posterity. Hopefully will have it again and be able to give it a more through review.

4.61/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I waited to make my judgement until having 3 pours last night - I have determined, it is better than KBS, but I'm not it is by much. I left wanting more maple (maybe BBBM ruined me).

4.25/5  rDev -9%

4.67/5  rDev 0%

I managed to score 2 bottles when this was released so I felt very fortunate. I finally got around to trying it but wished I hadn’t waited.
A – Pours super dark black with a healthy tight mocha colored head.

S – Smells of bourbon, dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee . There are nice sweet hints of molasses and maple syrup in there as well.

T – The bourbon was up front followed by really smooth chocolate and maple. Some oak in there as well.

M – Super smooth, really nice carbonation. Very easy to drink even for the high ABV’s. The alcohol was hidden very well and all the flavors play very nicely together.

O – All I can say is I wish I had more than 2 bottles and I can’t wait to crack into the other one!

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Absolute perfection in a bottle.

4.31/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This let me down. A fantastic beer but seriously not even close to what the hype makes it out to be.

4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

4.85/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company