Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Wants: 2,913
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders CBS Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

On-tap at Stoutfest, Armsby Abbey. My next few reviews from the fest will be brief, too stoked and busy to take notes, but I remember the beers well for sure. Glad I got this before it kicked. Appearance is black, nice bubbly tan head that sticks around the whole time and leaves lacing. Smell I pick up alot of the coffee and some sweetness and chocolate but not much maple. The taste though, especially when it warms up, brings out the maple in such a great way. The maple goes so great with coffee, chocolate, and some vanilla, definitely fits it's name quite well. The bourbon brings one the vanilla flavor but the booze taste is seriously non-existent. Roasty flavors are there but take a backseat to all the sweet flavors here. Definitely a great first beer of the day choice at noon, I would love to sip this with a real Canadian breakfast. The mouthfeel is great, a perfect thickness and there is no alcohol taste here at all. I saved the last 2-3 ounces for a friend who missed it on-tap and before I knew it I had to stop drinking this. Very easy to drink. Infinitely more drinkable than Kentucky (fresh), more complex and flavorful than the regular Breakfast Stout, best out of the 3 probably. I wish it was a little cheaper but who knows when I will get to try this again.

**4/16/11 more notes**

Lucky to have this again at Stoutfest this year, as good as last years was this years killed it. Way more maple presence without being overpowering, awesome balance of flavors. When the beer was gone my glass literally smelled like a syrupy pancake had been in there.

Chico1985, Apr 17, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

Served in a ten ounce chalice, the beer appears a black opaque color with a deep beige colored head that is quarter inch high. A chocolaty fragrance with a touch of whiskey a wood and coffee scents follow. A rich chocolaty flavor, with coffee overtones, then the sweet woodsy flavor of whiskey that comes through at the halfway point across the palate; a maple syrup sweetness blends itself into the flavor that gradually grows to at the soft flavor of a grassy bitterness. A thick oily texture, that begins with a heavy water feel that grows in weight. A mild burn of alcohol on the throat, but it does not last long. This is an easy to drink stout you have no idea that this beer is ten percent. The dark and rich inviting color, with an intoxicating aroma, along with the beautiful and wonderful taste and finishing with a sticky and oily texture makes this a great beer

cameraman, Apr 09, 2010
4.55/5  rDev -2.4%

Had it on Tap for the second year in a row.

Fantastic color, deep brown tinged black. This baby sucked all the light out of the room. Thin brown head at the top of the snifter hinting at the coffee chocolate flavored goodiness I have come to expect with this variety of beer.

Smell is inviting. Coffee and maple sweetness is there. I have a large nose and I almost dipped into the brew because I wanted to really smell this one. Mouth was watering immediately in anticipation.

Taste is coffee, chocolate bitterness, with a hint of maple sweetness. Oatmeal is there. This tastes like a perfect breakfast on a Sunday morning. Now I did have last years version and it was sweeter. The flavors are well balanced. Nothing was over bearing. Big alcohol but with so much going on, you will not taste it. With that said I liked last years better by one notch. What can I say, I have a sweet tooth.

Drinkability is based on style. In terms of what it is this baby is smooth as silk. Goes down real easy almost to easy. Unlike its cousin KBS, this one is not nearly as hot. It still is a sipper, but hey the longer it takes the more time to savor. This is worth driving to the brewery for if its on tap.

Tetano, Apr 05, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -4.9%

Draught at Capone's. Pours jet black, mocha head. Sweet maple aroma with touch of coffee, oak and caramel. Very sweet up front, nice caramel-maple aftertaste lingers with a slightly dry coffee bitterness. Incredibly smooth and far too drinkable. Agree with previous rater: 9.4% ABV is COMPLETELY hidden. Not much could improve this.

ChrisPro, Mar 28, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Hand bottle from a generous BA, thanks Andrew, I don't know if I'll ever be able to try this again so here are my thoughts,

A: Pours a dark brown with a light head, the carbonation is mild.

S: Coffee all the way. Like the best cup of coffee you have ever had. Elegant, strong and soothing.

T: The coffee is heavy in the flavour, it reminds me a bit of Peche Mortel on the first sip. The complexity goes through the roof as some whiskey and maple come to the party, very light hit of vanilla.

M: Smooth, full-bodied, robust.

D: I am so glad I got to try this legendary beer, I can see why it's in the top 10. This beer is incredible, on the short list of the best stouts I've ever had in my life.

Halcyondays, Mar 21, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Received a bottle of this from a generous BA...what a hook-up!

Split between two tulips and shared with some friends. Pours dark dark brown, allowing virtually no light to pass. Very thin head, that disappears very quickly. Not sure exactly how the filling and capping of this bottle happened, but I'm guessing that some of the "thin head" can be attributed to bottling a beer that isn't generally bottled. Looks very similar to this year's KBS as well.

A strong coffee aroma coupled with fainter whiffs of chocolate, cherry, and smokiness. Again, reminiscent of the KBS, with a little different twist.

The coffee and roasted malts stick around through the entirety of each drink. Definite cherry / dark fruit in there as well. I also continue to get hints of a very nice smokiness...this is a great beer. Although I do get a bit of sweetness in there, I think it can more closely be associated with a semi-sweet chocolate as opposed to maple syrup. I really tried to get maple syrup out of this beer, but just couldn't find it. Don't get me wrong - Great flavor, excellent taste, but no maple...at least for me. Nice and thick and creamy. Just how I like these kinds of stouts. Outstanding.

Overall , I was very impressed with this beer. It is a bit fresh and stinging, but it's also less than a month old. Still a very drinkable brew, especially considering an ABV of nearly 10%. This was a great introduction to the Canadian Breakfast Stout; now I need to track it down on tap.

Consumed: 3/19/2010

hayesez, Mar 21, 2010
4.63/5  rDev -0.6%

Got to enjoy a pint of this while in line at KBS day at founders. Such a beautiful tasting beer. So damn smooth, its like maple syrup!! Well kinda anyways. Such a thick stout too. It was incredibly easy to drink. Definately one of the best stouts I have ever had. So glad it was on tap at the brewery today. Just beautiful.

WeedKing4, Mar 14, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

Reviewed from notes taken 1/25. This came from a CP-filled bottle - out of a keg, so I will call it a growler, I think that's the best qualification for it.

The beer pours black, with a beautiful thick, dense brown head, leaving a little bit of lacing down the glass. Looks great from the start. The smell is amazing. You can really smell the sweetness upfront, the maple syrup really enhances that, and it blends and mellows well with the bourbon smell, the charred, roasty, toasty, oak and dark malt combinations, also bringing out a bit of vanilla, and the coffee is in there too, almost getting lost in the incredible mix of smells. A really great smelling beer. The taste, to but it briefly is incredible. This is one of those beers that you hear so much about, you just can't believe that it's true, I actually wanted to like this less than I did. It starts out creamy and chocolatey, the sweetness, combined with the roasty flavors, make it like drinking a coffee and chocolate milkshake, but it's not cloyingly sweet - which may be in part thanks to the oaky-bourbony taste. The syrup isn't necessarily easily picked out, but this is definitely reminiscent of syrup, even so much to make me crave pancakes as a start to dig into it. The vanilla of the barrel really comes out in the taste as well, and I still can't say enough about the rich creaminess, jsut balanced perfectly with the dark roastiness. I mean, it's possibly one of the smoothest (I know that word is a bit lame, thanks the AB) beers I've ever tasted. Just perfect mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, to let you know it's there, but not slow you down any. The drinkability is great, though it's a heavy hitter. I mean, I could barely stop drinking to take notes, but the ABV caught up with me by the end, making the last few sips a little slow, but I really, really loved this beer.

taylorhamrick, Mar 12, 2010
4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Hand bottle received in trade with ucusty. Thanks...really appreciate getting this one! Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Bottle opens with a nice solid burst of carbonation...definitely a good sign to get things started. Pours with a thick, oil-like consistency, almost totally opaque in the glass, just the slightest of brown around the edge when held to a moderately bright light. A half finger of cappuccino foam rises on top and sits for a short time, slowly falling to the surface and leaving a thick collar where it meets the glass.

S - Really deep and roasty with some nice dark fruit aspects...good amounts of coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Struggling a bit to find the maple syrup...I know it's gotta be there, but it's not hitting me in the face (must retract this...as it warms the maple really starts to come out). Maybe even a touch of bourbon and some vanilla in there too. Excellent.

T - Really smooth flavors and lots of them. I'm struck first by the large presence of vanilla - almost like melted vanilla ice cream - smooth and sweet. Also picking up quite a bit of woody oak flavors here too. The barrels have worked some magic on this one. Actually quite a bit of bitterness overall too - good hop presence without much flavor added to it - just bitterness. This blends nicely with the dark roasted malt and serious coffee flavors found here. Maple syrup - not sure, without some advance knowledge I'd identify this as maple syrup, but knowing what I know I can definitely find the maple here. It takes form of a complementary sweetness that combines with the vanilla exceptionally well. Sit these on top of a nice bitter base and we have ourselves one excellent stout.

M - The flavor is excellent, but the mouthfeel is really a standout feature of this stout. It is so silky and creamy feeling - feels like I'm drinking heavy cream. Thick and oily -slick on the tongue. Being a hand bottle, not sure about how the carbonation was intended to present itself, but it fits quite nicely for me. Carbonation is on the low side, but definitely not flat...has just enough life to tingle the tongue gently and caress it as the beer floats down the throat. Any more carbonation and I'd be afraid of it being a bit distracting. I've had a couple of beers recently with amazing mouthfeel...this takes a new 2nd place behind the BA Blackout which was amazing.

D - Alcohol really doesn't make itself known very well. There are so many wonderful sweet and desert-like flavors swimming around in this stout, the alcohol might be consumed among them. This really is a fabulous beer...if anything, I feel like it's missing a bit of the maple I remember (but maybe I'm romanticizing my first experience with this beer), but it hardly matters. Excellent American imperial stout...highly recommend doing whatever it takes to try this beer...hope Founders finds it within themselves to bottle this as some sort of regular seasonal offering.

portia99, Mar 10, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +1.3%

Counter pressured bottle courtesy of ucusty.

Notes are scant, so I'll just bang out the highlights. Jet black stout w/creamy head. Smell is phenomenal with vanilla, maple, booze, wood all pouring out. Taste is shockingly good. Especially when tasted alongside KBS and FBS. The other bottles actually cowered and ran off in the Canadian's presence. We've got maple syrup, serious sweetness including vanilla and chocolate perfectly balanced w/roast and some slight bourbon/oaky character. Mouth is thick w/the sweetness making it a true breakfast-worthy beer. Highly recommend. Lived up to the hype for me and then some.

bret27, Feb 28, 2010

A-Dark Dark Chocolate. Perfection to me is a beer you can't see through, and this beer definitely fits the bill.

S-Bitter chocolate, burnt coffee. Almost a hint of something peppery. Reminds me of hung over mornings with far away friends in foreign places.

T-Extremely delicious, melt in your mouth goodness. The regular breakfast stout is my staple go-to beer at Founder's when it is available, and this one-ups it nicely. Maple and vanilla afterthoughts, bold rich coffee.

M-Thick and rich, as it should be. A meal in itself.

D-Why is this beer so drinkable? I could drink it all night, but Founder's has far too many other great beers on tap to stick with just one. I will have as much of this beer as possible while it is available, and I look forward to trying KBS in a few weeks to compare it.

sullenbee, Feb 28, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +0.4%

8 oz pour into a snifter at the Founders Taproom. Pours deep dark brown (not black) with a medium tan head. Delicious looking beer. Smells of coffee, rich chocolate, maple and a bit of alcohol. Tastes like something you would get at starbucks like my buddy said. Almost reminds me of a mocha frappucino. Milk chocolate, mocha, bitter coffee, maple, oak, lots going on here. Mouthfeel is thick, lush, creamy, warming and comforting. All I can say about the drinkability is that I watched my buddy put away his 12 oz pour like it was a pale ale. Its really high. I could drink this all night but there are too many other beers on the tap list I want to try. Absolutely amazing beer, my only gripe is I wonder how different it really is from KBS. I'd really like to try them side by side. Maybe I'll have the chance on the 13th at the KBS release party.

Shumista, Feb 27, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color is a complete black with a thin tan head and some little lacing on the glass.

The smell is deep coffee with some fresh coffee bean flavor. Some dark chocolate flavor is in the background and gives a nice robust feel.

The taste is big with some nice chocolate flavor that comes out strong. There are some nice coco and mocha flavors that really give a breakfast feel. Some bourbon flavor does come out here and there and there are many complex flavors throughout this beer it would take a while to name them all.

The feel of this beer really well balanced. There is a nice sweet flavor that smooths out the alcohal feel in this beer and hides it well in some great flavor. It goes down nice and smooth and is very enjoyable.

Duhast500, Feb 26, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

I had this at the Founders Taproom yesterday, as the last leg of a Midwest trip. What a great way to finish off a fun trip! Thanks to my good friend and fellow BA TCGoalie for giving me the heads up that this was available at the brewery.

I'm always a little wary of reviewing a beer that I know is rated so highly, but this one made it easy. So tasty and enjoyable to imbibe. This review is from detailed notes.

A: Poured almost jet-black with just a little bit of a brownish tint into a tall, thin, 12 ounce glass that was flared at the top. The head was an attractive mocha that had just about disappeared by the time the beer was brought to me. The beer left a small, dotty, sticky lacing pattern on the sides of the glass, along with a clear, thick film that coated the glass after a sip.

S: As soon as I saw that the smaller pours of this were served in a snifter, I was a little sad that I got the tall 12 oz. glass, because it was a little more difficult to catch the full aroma. However, my girlfriend got the smaller pour a little later, so I was able to get the full effect of the smell from her pour. The main scent was a medium-bodied coffee bean. There was a nice maple sweetness that accompanied the coffee smell, and just a hint of toffee and caramel. It smelled like I imagine a Canadian household smelling at breakfast-time.

T: Phenomenal. The rich flavor was so well balanced between the maple sweetness and the slight acidic coffee taste. The taste starts out sweet and then as the sip is finished, a slight bitter hop characteristic takes over. However the taste left in the mouth after the sip is that rich, coating maple sweetness again. Such a complex and rich flavor. Every component ingredient was perfectly proportioned to the others.

M: Full and coating. The feel was so exciting and satisfying. The beer really disperses its flavors evenly and thickly over the palate. The carbonation was so perfect for this beer that it was almost an afterthought.

D: Not surprisingly, this beer had a fabulous drinkability. I never thought that the sweetness of the flavor overpowered my palate, and there was no alcohol detectable. This beer was so flavorful and rich. Founders really has a good thing going with their Breakfast Stout line and I can't wait to try the Kentucky version soon!

TCHopCraver, Feb 25, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Poured a nice rich black color. The head was mocha in color. Quite a bit of lacing for a beer of this test.

S: The thing I kept expecting in this beer and never getting was sweetness. I expected to get a huge maple syrup nose but truth be told it was barely there. Lots of coffee and chocolate. A touch of roast. Little bit of barrel but not that much.

T: Just like the nose. Again not that sweet at all. Big coffee taste. Chocolate after that. Maybe some nuts thrown in there as well.

M: Much lighter than I thought it would be. Very creamy mouthfeel. Nice level of carbonation.

D: This beer was a little bit of a letdown for me. It was an excellent beer for sure but I expected more. I enjoyed KBS much more than this and it was slightly ahead of regular breakfast stout. That being said it would be a nice addition to their bottled offerings.

aerozeppl, Feb 24, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +0.4%

Counterpressure-filled bottle/growler courtesy bret27 at Woodshop 5.0. Pours darkest brown with a nice tan foamy head and some syrupy legs. Aroma is black roasty malts, coffee, maple syrup, smoke, and caramel. Pretty nice, but not as good as the flavor, which is absurd. Chewably thick body, tons of roasted malts and dark chocolate tempered by a smokey maple syrup note with wood, sweet bourbon-like accents, espresso, faint berries. Incredible. Dry and slightly bitter, no astringency, full bodied, epic.

illidurit, Feb 23, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

Had on tap in a taster glass at EBF 2010

Appearance: pours a deep rich syrup like color with a small hazlenut head that recedes quickly.

Smell: smells fantastic. Sweet, canadian bacon, maple syrup and waffle like aromas come through. Creamy aroma too.

Taste: tastes like liquid bacon, waffles and maple syrup. Balanced though all of the sweetness with bitter chocolate flavors and a slight alcohol bite. This was my favorite stout at the fest for sure. Creamy whipped cream like texture and flavors meld well with the chocolate shavings and bourbon undertones.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and easy to drink. Hides the abv incredibly and leaves the mouth slightly dry. Texture and finish are second to only kentucky breakfast stout.

Drinkability: Huge for such a powerful beer. This was such a treat and its perfect with rich dishes as well as by itself. Creamy, balanced, focused through the whole session!

Augustiner719, Feb 22, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

Served on-tap at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Pours a dark, dark brown nearing black with a nice 1 finger creamy light tan head.

S: Wonderful aroma of coffee, some sweet, sticky bourbon rich cocoa, milk chocolate and a wonderfully rich and potent maple syrup.

T: I must say, that I was skeptical of the hype being given to this beer, but Founders really delivered with this beer (but when do they not). The typical elements of all great BA Imperial Stouts are found; chocolate, coffee, bourbon, oak, vanilla, ect., but the addition of the maple syrup bourbon barrel aging is just phenomenal. Sweet, sticky, rich, but never overpowering. Incredible balance in this flavor profile.

M: Full-bodied with fairly low and creamy carbonation with a nice warming bourbon that coats the entire palate quite nicely along with the maple syrup.

D: I just hope that they bottle this as I could drink this all night long.

Overall this beer certainly lived up to its hype for me and is yet another expertly crafted Imperial Stout from Founders. Highly Recommended.

Lunch, Feb 22, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

This was the first beer I tried at EBF NoTB 2010. Let's see what this great brew is all aboot, eh?

A: Pours pitch black and is virtually impervious to light. A thin tan head settled on top after a fairly gentle pour.

S: Very strong coffee aromas dominate this legendary brew's nose. Are there freshly ground coffee beans in my tasting glass? Whiffs of sweet chocolate and feint oak also meet my nose. Overall, a strong, vibrant, and appealing nose on this one.

T: An explosion of coffee and chocolate flavors hit my palate after the first sip. Bitter espresso, mocha, coco nibs, and dark chocolate are all present in the flavor. There is some warming sweet liquor at the finish - something along the lines of bourbon or brandy. There is some burnt coffee at the end of each sip as well. A really complex and well put together taste.

M: It's not quite full bodied, which I think it appropriate for a brew with so many coffee characteristics in it. The alcohol is barely noticeable.

D: Drinks dangerously well for a brew bordering on 10%. I heard the first batch of this was even better than what Founders brought to NoTB this year. However, I doubt it could have been much better than this already is. A truly exceptional stout.

MrDanno96, Feb 22, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at Founders in a flute glass.

Dark black color with a light head.

Smell is heavy on the coffee, with dark chocolate and maybe slight maple mixed in. Taste is delicious: a strong coffee blended with dark chocolate syrup. Maple is present, but unless I knew that was the defining characteristic of the beer I probably wouldn't have picked up on it. This has a perfect balance between sweetness and bitterness from the coffee. Alcohol is nearly unnoticeable.. making this one of the most drinkable imperial stouts I've tried. This lived up to the massive hype that has been placed on it.

webmanspidey, Feb 22, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +3%

So glad to finally see this on tap at Founders! Notes to follow:

At first, the beer doesn't seem that exciting from the look of it, dark, not much head. Two things are unique...there is a dark amber color on the angles near the top of the glass where light can get through. Second, swish the glass around and you can see an almost candy coating on the glass. High viscosity.

I didn't get a very good smell of this beer due to the bar setting. I did get some biscuit and maple in the smell.

The first taste is sweet followed by a balancing carbonation combination of mild pine hops, coffee, chocolate, molasses, and roasty biscuit. It finishes with a lot of maple goodness. The balance is really good between the maple and other ingredients. Wonderful!

A very interesting part of this drink is the maple coating of the mouth after swallowing. It follows with a bit of stickiness, but the maple coating is so unusual.

This is a silky smooth combo that leads to a very drinkable stout. I want more!

TCgoalie, Feb 21, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -10.9%

Had on draft at the brewery, poured into a fluted glass.

A: A deep rich chocolate with no head, only a thin ring of carbonation at the edge of the beer. It's totally opaque, and looks like... a stout. I don't know what people would consider exceptional about most stouts, let alone this one. It's good, that's about it.

S: Whiffs of coffee, chocolate, maple, with controlled booze and no hot alcohol. It's a bit nutty, too, but I might be smelling the brewery itself, to be honest. Nice.

T: Syrupy sweet with a sharp hop note along with the mild coffee flavors, with a boozy finish. Toasty roasty notes in the mid palate, with some chocolate sweetness in there as well. I'm thinking about sparking chocolate coffee syrup with a bit of hop bitterness on the tongue. It finishes sweet and boozy. Not too cloying.

M: Smooth, thick, rich - great for the beer. A nice level of carbonation helps it avoid being syrupy.

D: Not mindblowing, to be honest. Another case of an A+ beer being due to rarity and expectations vs. how the beer actually delivers. The sweetness and booziness actually detracts from the perfection of Breakfast Stout. I'm glad that it avoids being too cloying and hot with alcohol, but it's nowhere near the complex and perfectly balanced original.

Telix, Feb 21, 2010
4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Served at EBF. Not as sweet as expected, which was a great surprise. It was still sweet, but drinkable. Pours a very dark body with no head. Coffee up front with chocolate, but good god is it coffee driven. Really light body, possibly too light. Very creamy, very good.

Side note: mix 60% CBS with 40% Utopias for a real treat

drseamus, Feb 20, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

The beer pours a dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is out of control. It has the regular Breakfast stout scent; chocolate, coffee, oatmeal. It also has a kick ass bourbon aroma with a complimentary maple syrup character. I was told by the owner at EBF that the barrels it aged in were former bourbon barrels soaked in maple syrup. The taste is incredible. It has multiple layers of complexity. The rich chocolate and oatmeal flavors along with a stiff, bitter coffee character, followed up with bourbon and maple syrup flavors. Damn, this is an incredible beer; because of the different tastes involved it's open for folks who don't normally care for dark beers. The mouthfeel is near perfect. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is maybe the best beer on the planet. The KBS was my pick before, but this may overtake it.

WesWes, Feb 20, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Enjoyed on tap at Sheffields 12/06/09. From notes:

A - Jet black without head. Minimal lace.

S - Roast barley, molasses, oak, vanilla, caramel. Whisky intensifies as the beer warms.

T - Sweet chocolate, a bit of whisky, vanilla, and a bit of spice. Smoother and milder than KBS, with mild to moderate hop bitterness.

M - Velvety, full body.

D - Excellent, alcohol is entirely hidden. Delicious beer.

trbergman, Feb 14, 2010