Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Wants: 2,865
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders CBS Imperial Stout Alström Bros
beerphan

4.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

on tab @fatheads, pitt -> mini-snifter

Arrived pitch black with a deep mocha head. A couple of crooked thin patches of lace, but not much, as expected.

Nose: Bourbon, vanilla, sugar, subtle maple

Thick chewy mouth. Starts of boozey but quickly burnt coffee, chocolate, and candied sugar take over. Vanilla and bourbon reenter the picture along with some currant. Finishes smooth with maple and bourbon mixing. They were passing around bottles of the syrup that was aged in the same barrels, with some great local waffles. Dipped a waffle covered in maple syrup into the head of my 2nd glass, now that's whats for breakfast!

Thanks for Fatheads for bringing this in, and thanks to Founders for another wonderful brew.

09-13-2009 19:08:48 | More by beerphan
rabsten

West Virginia

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I drove 240 miles for this. Yes, it was worth it.

On tap at Fatheads as the finale to Founders weekend. Pours pitch black into a goblet, cocoa head, no lacing but it's a thick-ass stout so none expected. Just as a big stout should be. Anise, alcohol and, yes, maple in the nose. As it warms up the maple practically explodes. Thick and heavy mouthfeel, much like the artisan syrup that formerly inhabited the barrels in which this masterpiece was aged ( I had some of that too; if ever syrup was worth $50/bottle, this was it.). Sweet, malty flavor with residual bite. Coffee nature of the breakfast stout was subdued by the maple aging but not outright subjugated: call it a "mellowing." Nice finish. Drinkable as hell but only go for one - the second'll knock you on your ass.

Is it the 10th best beer in the world? No. Is is really fucking good and worth making a weekend of? Oh, yes. kudos.

09-13-2009 15:45:19 | More by rabsten
punkrkr27

Tap at the 2009 Founders Black Party. Only the 2nd beer I've ever given a perfect rating to. This stuff is incredible! Black as black can be pour with a nice dense brown head. Notes of oak, vanilla, bourbon, maple sugar candy, and nuts. All in excellent balance. Thick oily mouthfeel.

09-11-2009 20:25:19 | More by punkrkr27
ffejherb

3.93/5  rDev -15.7%

On tap at Capone's on 8/15/09.

A - Dark oily black body with a thin tan ring that quickly receded to an almost non-existent patch.

S - Maple character is quite subtle, surprisingly. Vanilla presence, however, is not as meek. Same goes for chocolate. Some woody notes and hints of coffee also emerge. Overall, the nose is quite sweet yet subtle.

T - Lots of vanilla sweetness in the initial flavor, with an understated maple syrup presence. It's there, but it's quite restrained. Flavor is very chocolatey, caramely and sweet with hints of coffee beans, the latter of which adds a tinge of bitterness. Overall, the vanilla dominates the flavor.

M - Full bodied and thick with a rich, luscious texture and slick mouthfeel, which allows the liquid to literally glide down the throat with ease. Carbonation is pretty subtle and provides only a hint of prickle on the tongue. Finishes quite sweet on the palate.

D - Don't get me wrong. CBS is a very good beer, no doubt about it. However, in the eschelon of Founder's Breakfast Stout brews, this is clearly on the bottom. While it is a fine brew in itself, it is the lesser Breakfast Stout, in my opinion.

09-06-2009 16:57:41 | More by ffejherb
nickd717

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Review #20 on BA, and I'm saving it for #1000 on RB.

Growler generously shared by largadeer (thanks, Chris!). I was really looking forward to trying this beer and annoyed him about it at every possible opportunity. Same growler that Arbitrator reviewed this from, and yes, it did leak in transit and lose a substantial amount of beer, so the packaging materials were lucky enough to sample quite a bit of this rare brew. I knew from the start this was right up my alley since I love imperial stouts, coffee, and maple syrup. I could probably take almost anyone in a Super Troopers style syrup bottle chug.

Growler poured into snifter.

A - Black and viscous with the tiniest bit of brown foam when agitated. Clung to the side of the glass when swirled.

S - Coffee, roast, maple syrup, and a tiny bit of alcohol. Very inviting.

T - I've heard you can drop a tablespoon of maple syrup into a Breakfast Stout and approximate this beer pretty closely closely. CBS is a little fuller-bodied and more viscous, but as far as taste goes, that is a very good approximation. Flavor is lots of bitter coffee that is very reminiscent of regular Breakfast Stout, roasted malt, dark chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla, and a faint hint of oak. Alcohol is detectable but very well-hidden. This beer is really well-rounded and succeeds in balancing the sweetness from the syrup and malt with the coffee bitterness.

M - Well, because of the shipping mishaps, the amount of carbonation was somewhere between really, really, ridiculously low and Angels Share - i.e. it was damn near flat. Surprisingly, that didn't matter much. Call me crazy, but I like it when a syrup beer has a syrup-like mouthfeel. That's exactly how this was. CBS is smooth and viscous on the way down and lingers on the palate afterwards.

D - This is incredibly drinkable for an imperial stout. The second I put the glass down, I was thinking about my next sip. It just keeps you wanting that mapley, coffeey (not even close to being a word, I know) goodness and almost makes you cry when it's gone and you know you'll probably never try this again.

Founders, I can't stress this enough, please brew this beer again. If I could have a keg of this stuff delivered to my apartment once a month, I would be a very happy, drunk, and fat person.

UPDATE 9/19/09: largadeer got a new growler that was perfectly hermetically sealed, and it was PHENOMENAL. Huge lasting tan head with great retention and lacing. Flavor is just incredibly complex with a lot (but not too much) of maple syrup. Nice lively mouthfeel. This destroyed both KBS and regular BS in a side-by-side. This is flat-out one of the best beers I've ever had.

09-01-2009 22:21:26 | More by nickd717
corby112

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

Served on tap at Capones

Pours a oily complately opaque black color with a .5 finger chocolate coffee colored tan foam head that slowly dissipates into a thin ring and cap that lasts throughout. Very minimal splotches of lacing.

The maple is pretty prominent in the aroma balancing out the strong bourbon alcohol presence of the KBS. There is a nice roasted coffee presence that's accompanied by some chocolate malt, toffee, burnt toast, caramel and a healthy dose of bourbon.

The mouthfeel of this beer is silky smooth due to the additional aging in the maple barrels. The high ABV is extremely well masked even with the strong bourbon presence. All of the other roasty and malty flavors are balanced out by this sweet honey, molasses-like syrupy texture. This beers is ridiculously quaffable considering all that's going on and the high alcohol content.

As mentioned above, there are a lot of complex flavors going on here. Nice big roasty coffee presence, chocolate, chocolate malt, toffee, oatmeal, burnt toast and a very nice bourbon presence all wonderfully balanced by the sweet maple syrup flavor coming from the additional aging.

I could drink this beer all day and I'm looking forward to trying it again soon.

08-28-2009 19:30:12 | More by corby112
HopHead84

Consumed on 08/26/2009 and poured into a snifter. I have a benevolent ghost from the east to thank for this. The beer is ebony with a small light brown head. Scattered lacing clings to my Darkness glass when the head recedes.

The aroma is immediately black coffee, roasted malt, and dark chocolate. Molasses is strong, and some vanilla is noticeable. Maple becomes evident as the beer warms, but it's not as strong as I was expecting. The coffee and roasted character seem to overshadow the maple in the nose. Other aromas are of oak and alcohol.

The flavor opens up with...well, black coffee. The coffee is fine, but wasn't maple supposed to be a big part of this beer? Isn't KBS a coffee beer? What about the maple?! Black strap molasses is present, as well as a strong roasted malt character. Dark chocolate is evident, and though the maple isn't strong it's more potent here than it was in the aroma, imparting a subtle sugary sweetness. The finish is dry and of bitter roasted coffee.

The beer is full bodied with low carbonation and a full, viscous, and sticky mouthfeel. This is a good beer, but I was expecting more maple character considering its purported presence. I believe regular Breakfast Stout to be superior.

08-27-2009 02:39:25 | More by HopHead84
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap yesterday at Teresa's Next Door. WTF is this beer doing in the top 10?

A: Jet black with a dark brown head with excellent retention, it hangs around until after I'm done drinking this! Plenty of lace.

S: Plenty of coffee with a rich maple syrup sweetness. Rich and decadent with dark chocolate, and mild vanilla. I really like the fact that the maple character is an accent, instead of a driving flavor. Excellent stuff. While having no semblance of balance, this is still pretty great on the nose.

T: Opens bitter with coffee followed by sweet maple syrup before a dark chocolate bittersweet character comes through. Rich and tasty with the combination of chocolate, coffee and maple being good. Bittersweet on the finish with (more ) maple and chocolate. As it warms up, the maple character grows, and the beer becomes a little less enjoyable

M: The m/f is excellent. Creamy, full bodied and mildly carbonated, this beer is quite great on the palate. The finish is pretty good, but as the beer warms up and maple character grows, it does drop off.

D: I did enjoy one glass of this, but was physically incapable of drinking more. Not because it was a bad beer or cloying, but the combination of a warm bar, plenty of other good beers, and a good brunch curbed my urge for another glass.

Edit 23 Oct 2009:
I drank this again last night at the Church Key opening and found it to be quite hugely different. The coffee was lower in the mix, with an absolutely stellar blend of maple syrup, coffee, chocolate and bourbon. Exceptionally balanced, this is noted on the palate too. The finish is an excellent contrast between a coffee bitterness (and almost an espresso-like tartness) with the maple and bourbon. I drank about 5 glasses of this, truly wonderful stuff. S,T,D+0.5,+0.5,+1

08-24-2009 15:14:31 | More by DefenCorps
dwaz

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Has this on draft at Tersea's Next Door 08/23/09. Poured into a tulip glass and had nice dark appearenace with small tan head. Gave off a sweet aroma, but not overpowering. Good balance of carbonation and flavor. It's impossible to write about this beer without comparing it to Kentucky Breakfast Stout. CBS finishes with a sweet aftertaste probably from the maple syrup wheras KBS finishes with a strong alcohol flavor. This makes CBS much more drinkable in my opinion.

08-23-2009 23:36:13 | More by dwaz
sholland119

4.38/5  rDev -6%

On tap at Capone's.

A-Pours a deep black with a thin white head and no lacing. Very nice.

S-Maple syrup and vanilla notes combined with a nice roasted malt.

T-Light maple and vanilla, roasted malt and a moderately bittersweet finish. Is that all there is? I thought it might get more interesting as it warmed but it didn't.

M-Medium bodied, just a little rich.

D-Very nice. A huge disappointment based on expectations, though. We poured a KBS side by side about half way through. This was no match on any front. I like regular Breakfast Stout better also, as the coffee flavor is largely masked here. A nice beer but not a Top 100 beer to me.

UPDATE: Tried this yesterday at Teresa's Next Door and tasted a totally different beer. Less maple dominated, a bit boozier, but in a good way, richer in body and deeper in flavor. I have revised the T, M and D factors up. This is still, IMO, wildly overrated and still the least good of the three variations of Breakfast Stout. But yesterday I could almost get what others saw. I hope your experience with this beer is more like my second than my first.

HV

HV

08-19-2009 20:08:12 | More by sholland119
Kadonny

3.9/5  rDev -16.3%

I never wrote up my review from my taste at the CAH in Limerick a few weeks ago. I got there late that day and was only able to secure a 4 ounce pour into a tasting glass, still I was glad to at least try it.

A: A dark brown almost black thick liquid with almost no head on the pour. No glass lacing.

S: I got the maple smell immediately and noticed how much swetter the nose was than the KBS. Also smells of roasted coffee and dark chocolate.

T: The maple syrupy taste comes out first in the sweetness of the beer. Sweet maple with caramel malt get pushed aside by the roasted coffee/espresso flavors with dark chocolate flavors and a hint of vanilla, oak and some bourbon. A slight hop tinge is felt but the sweetness of the maple comes back in at the end to finish out. This is really a complex beer that needs to be drank a bit warmer to open it up. Alcohol heat comes in at the end too.

M: Full, coating, sweet with a decent alcohol kick. Very smooth though.

D: Medium at best. This one was just a tad bit sweet for me.

I have drank a fair amount of the Breakfast Stout line from Founders, so for me there is no question I tasted the maple right up front. Others seemed that they could not really taste it, I for sure could. This is a solid beer, but for me the KBS is much better. I love KBS so much and for me is the perfect blend of sweet and roast. This one bends a bit more on the sweeter side, not my bag. Still a very good beer that is rare as hell and I'm extremely happy I got to try it.

08-17-2009 20:34:41 | More by Kadonny
capra12

4.93/5  rDev +5.8%

Reviewed solo at Capone's in Norristown, the 2 hours drive was well worth it. Special thanks to Dave from the gingerman for letting me know about the event. Served out of a snifter.

Appearance: Dark and opaque with little head.

Smell: Roasted dark malts, roasted coffee.

Taste: This is why it was worth the trip. Opens malty and sweet and transitions to a dark chocolate in the middle. From the middle to the end I get coffee, woody and subtle hints of vanilla, leaving an earthy and sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth, leaving no stickiness or film in my mouth. No carbonation.

Drinkability: I would definitely have another because of how enjoyable the flavors work with each other.

08-17-2009 03:42:43 | More by capra12
BeerImmediately

4.45/5  rDev -4.5%

Enjoyed a 9oz. snifter at Capone's CBS event Saturday. Started a little too cold, so warmed up in the hands over 30 minutes.

Nice appearance - small tan head so they could pack as much in the glass as possible, sitting atop a deep brown/black body. Minor lacing.

Worked a bit to get the smell going (temperature), but was primarily a roasted espresso, and a touch of sweetness - bittersweet chocolate and vanilla.

Taste was much more pronouced than the smell, and the roasted malt and espresso qualities dominated, without being the least bit bitter. The sweet maple flavor was tame, but you can tell it really helps level things out. I guess I was expecting "more waffle, less coffee", but the reverse worked well.

MF started very creamy smooth - like a goose-down pillow in a glass, and then puts the breaks on gently with a slightly acridic bite. This aspect was the real winner for me here.

Very, very drinkable - in fact, I continued with two other imperial stouts after this one.

08-17-2009 02:22:35 | More by BeerImmediately
Slatetank

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

I arrived at Capone's with my brother at approximately 10:15 a couple people back in line after akorsak (review below). They had beers poured and ready for tasting when we sat down anticipating the demand - kudos Capone's. I am very glad I got to try this great beer again. Here goes 888.

Served chilled in a small snifter.

A - Ebony, opaque like an 8ball with 1/2 inch of almond capping. The bubbles appear thick and the bead is averages, with generally good lacing

S - The smell is like music to my nose - chocolate covered coffee beans, maple, bourbon soaked stone fruit and vanilla. The nose is so complex with mild caramel and nuts w/ mild alcohol accent from the bourbon. The cocoa presence and complimentary maple and bourbon really drive the aroma

M - Viscous without being syrupy or cloying w/ sweetness in the texture a mild alcohol up front. The roasted feel takes a backseat and some fruity, sappy textures propel the middle toward coffee-like roasty notes w/ bitter residual feel w/ mild woody astringency

T - Creamy smooth roasted coffee and maple synergy leads into a fine bourbon back w/ vanilla and maple flavors that mingle. As I paused to let the liquid sit in my mouth the roasted elements of cocoa and coffee settle and the character becomes mildly tannic w/ acidity of coffee and the creamy oaky vanilla taste saturates the sweet maltiness. The finish is very bourbon influenced with a mild hop accent

D - Not as maple as I expected but just as KBS masterfully blends all of the elements together-so is the case w/ CBS, a delight. The stout is well layered and complex enough to savor for a length of time as the combination of maple and stout are so complimentary, magic for the taste buds.

08-16-2009 17:11:23 | More by Slatetank
DIM

3.95/5  rDev -15.2%

a: This was absolutely black as far as I can tell. My nine ounce snifter came to me with a short, frothy dark brown head.

s: Fairly mild aroma overall. I got notes of coffee and a little chocolate even when it was cold. As it warmed, vanilla, oak, and some sugary maple candy emerged. Very good, but I was hoping for something more potent.

t: Plenty going on in the flavor department, I'm just not sure that it all works together. Upfront I tatsed fairly strong chocolatey coffee. Sweet elements of vanilla and those maple leaf shaped candies you buy in gift shops in maple syrup producing regions close things out. The finish was pretty sugary for my taste, but as it warmed some oak flavors came out that helped quite a bit. Unique and well crafted for sure, but the flavors just didn't fit well together.

m: Thick, chewy, and gently carbonated. Close to perfect and exactly what I expected from Founder's.

d: I did enjoy this, but even if I see this again, I doubt I'd order it. Nothing off with this one, the coffee and the maple sugar flavors just don't go well together.

08-15-2009 22:20:21 | More by DIM
ClockworkOrange

4.03/5  rDev -13.5%

The stout appears a nearly opaque dark brown color with about a finger of creamy ecru foam. Aromas and flavors consist of a nice caramel sweetness, notes of vanilla, roasted coffee beans, dark and bittersweet chocolates, a pleasant maple note, mocha, milk chocolate. The stout falls somewhere between medium and full bodied with more than ample carbonation. Really glad I had the chance to try this one. Seek it out if you can.

08-15-2009 17:35:06 | More by ClockworkOrange
brdc

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap, poured into a sample glass.

Very dark brown, close to black, with a coffee colored head that holds well and laces the side of the glass.
Very nice aroma, roasted coffee beans and chocolate, caramel sweetness, hints of wood and vanilla, dark fruits.
Full bodied and creamy, and flavor follows suit, but it is better balanced than their other "breakfasts", with more roasted beans and chocolate notes, and less intense coffee.
A very nice one, and IMHO, an improvement over their other breakfast offerings. Smoother and better balanced.

08-10-2009 18:48:55 | More by brdc
alcstradamus

Washington

4.58/5  rDev -1.7%

Sampled at the 2009 great taste of the midwest. A nice 4-6 oz. pour with a clean palate.

Smell was strong coffee with light hints of wood and maple syrup. Taste was fresh brewed coffee with an extra sweetness from the maple, although I can't say I could have pointed out that it actually was maple if I didn't know already. This is like a slightly less boozy, slightly sweeter version of KBS. Overall, I found to to be almost equal to that beer. This is a full bodied beer, but not quite what I would call creamy, and I was left wanting more and more. I can't say I find this to be any more exciting than KBS though.

08-09-2009 17:40:25 | More by alcstradamus
brokenleadedcask

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

Akiser shared a growler with his roommate's and I on 07/25. Reviewed from notes with assistance from Casey.

Pitch black, pours like engine sludge with a heavy finger of dark brown head. Some spotty lacing speckles the pint as the glass disappears. Espresso beans, woodsy oak, fine chocolate and alcohol are all right up front. I just wanna sit and smell it. Belgian chocolate, espresso, more oak, black currant, and plums are all present and accounted for in the taste. Some dryness from the oak tannins. Rich and chewy, some lingering bitterness, think espresso. This is a very enjoyable sipper, not too sweet. Honored to be able to savor this beer.

08-09-2009 15:30:08 | More by brokenleadedcask
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

A modest 8 ounce pour yields a chocolate brown head that is only a skim, rather typical for a tap pour of this sort. Body is a dirty rusty blackish brown that really looks like used motor oil thickness. Nose is still very coffee dominant with only hints of vanilla and bourbon. Maple is only in the background like fresh pancakes with a bit of syrup on top. Oh so sweet and smooth as you take first sip. Bourbon isn't as evident as KBS as a vanilla character comes into play and almost a creme brulee coffee sweetness is developed. Wonderful desert like sweetness is soft yet rich and bold while it paints a very thick coating feel on the tongue. Wonderfully drinkable brew that is nectar with it's tasty sweetness.

08-04-2009 01:29:12 | More by SPLITGRIN
jampics2

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Woah!

Finally get to try this, BOY am I psyched. I've been spoiled this year after attending the KBS release and having 2 cases to work through. But I didn't get the chance to try CBS at the release and I can finally stop kicking myself!

@ Beer Engine. Poured in a cute 8-10oz souviner glass coffee cup. Great creamy head smells like we have a winner.

Taste was absurdly perfect. Great roast - a bit more than KBS, nice chocolate tones and a residual sweetness from the maple to balance out the bitterness of the beans. The whiskey kick in this is second to none. Side by side with KBS it becomes apparent which wins the battle for stout supremacy. Mouthfeel is creamy and freakn' perfect. I had 3, so drinkability was in an unheard-of zone for such a dark and strong beer.

I'm starting to question if I can continue to live in Cleveland after drinking this. Grand Rapids may be the luckiest city in the US to have this on for many days each year.

Right now, it's 4:13 EST. Michagan still sucks, but their beer...oh man, their beer!!!!

A++ offering, great job Founders!!

08-02-2009 20:12:18 | More by jampics2
drgonzo3705

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Beautiful black pour with a nice chocolate milk colored head with good lacing.

S: Light coffee with a pleasant sweetness from the maple syrup.

T: Again light coffee with a nice candy sweetness from the maple.

M: Full bodied with a light creaminess and just enough carbonation.

D: I'll definitely have another, and definitely worth the hype. Great drinking stout. Despite the ABV this will disappear from your glass quite rapidly!

08-02-2009 15:19:27 | More by drgonzo3705
Zippie9999

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Had the pleasure of trying this exceptional stout on-tap at the Dirty Truth in N. Hampton, MA, on 7/17/09. Just getting around to singing this beverage's praises.
A: Jet black with a nice thin brown head.
S: Lots of coffee. chocolate, and almost wood-like notes.
T: Phenomenal. Definitely coffee, espresso, chocolate, and wood.
M: Yummy, thick, creamy, and smooth.
D: Be careful! Nice job in hiding the ABV, which is about 9.5% according to BA. Damn! I'd have several for breakfast any day and would probably be joining AA as a result (LOL!)

08-01-2009 02:53:04 | More by Zippie9999
kirok1999

4.03/5  rDev -13.5%

Served way too cold so we had to wait a bit, sipping KBS till it warmed up. Rich black color, just a wisp of light brown foam.
Smell is mild with bits of caramel and just a hint of maple once it warms up enough.
Taste is rich and roasty, especially in the finish. Bits of chocolate and slight coffee show up. A very lingering dark roast makes this different than KBS. Not overly sweet and the alcohol is well hidden.
Not too dense; rich and creamy.
I had three pours, 2 paid for by the Founders rep Mike Bell, who bought the first round for the whole house!

07-31-2009 03:05:22 | More by kirok1999
reginaldo

Poured out of a growler courtesy of Jcb890. I wish there was a procedure to replace my blood with this beer. It is epic. Pours as any stout should. Jet black color with a dark tan head. Head retention is good as a thin layer of foam remains throughout the glass. Vanilla, coffee, caramel and a sweet maple aroma dominate the nose. The taste is incredible. Very complex beer that gets better as you get deeper into the glass. Starts off with vanilla/caramel sweetness. The coffee notes come through in the middle, followed by a bit of booziness. The maple comes through at the finish, although it's mixed with a nice roasted character. This is one of the smoothest beers I've had the pleasure of drinking. Almost a creamy quality to it. After taking a sip it seems like it coats the tongue. Despite being a stronger ABV it is surprisingly drinkable. All said and done, this is probably the best beer I've had to date. If you ever have a chance to try this, please do it, even if you have to drive to Africa.

07-26-2009 21:52:46 | More by reginaldo