Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Wants: 2,865
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders CBS Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Jcb890

Growler split with Reginaldo. Big thanks to mwa423 for the trade!

A - Pours an almost pitch black with about an inch or so of a dark brown head. Lacing has stuck around for the entire glass.

S - A very sweet smell with a lot of maple, vanilla and oak.

T - Delicious! Oh man do I love this beer. I've been missing this since I tried it at the Extreme Beer Festival. A lot of maple here in the taste with some coffee. Imagine Breakfast Stout with lots of amazing maple.

M - Very smooth and rather thick. Leaves a nice coating on the mouth after sipping.

D - This growler will be gone very shortly after this review is finished. I wish I could bathe in it!

If you can get this beer, please, for the love of all that is holy, do it! I think this is honestly the best beer I have had to date (in my opinion). It is absolutely amazing.

- PS/Update: just finished off the growler... I would trade my soul for more of this.

07-26-2009 21:36:42 | More by Jcb890
mikey711

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

Coincidentally(or not) my brother needed a ride up to boston and I graciously agreed to provide this service as the CBS was on tap at the Roadhouse. I looked at the beer menu to make sure I wasn't dreaming and made my decision. The bartender remarked that I made an excellent choice as the keg was nearing the end. The CBS could no longer elude me.

I received a glass with the jet black beer and its dark brown head. It was syrupy thick lacy and begging me to drink it.

I stuck my nose in to some maple syrup, coffee, vanilla, and bourbon aromas. Each aroma was distinct yet together. As the beer warmed one of these aromas would dominate before giving way to another.

The first sip was great the expected flavors were there. Coffee and cocoa upfront vanilla and maple syrup in the finish. Mild booziness. Agai at different temperatures a certain flavor would dominate but at no point was it overwhelming.

Very full bodied and velvety smooth. Had I had more time I think I could have enjoyed way to many of these. I kept thinking of the KBS during this drinking experience and how I would love a side by side tasting. The problem with this beer is founders may not make it again which would truly be a shame.

07-25-2009 16:10:38 | More by mikey711
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.15/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Opaque black with a bit of ruby, small head and no lacing

Smell: Maple, vanilla, oak, toffee, caramel, booze, brown sugar, molasses. Very sweet.

Taste: Maple, molasses, toffee, brown sugar, caramel, oak.

Mouthfeel: Thick and filling.

Drinkability: Much higher than I expected, probably due to the sweetness.

Good beer, the best of the Breakfast Stout series Founder's has released. That said, it isn't a great beer, and certainly not one of the top ten beers in the world. I have always felt that limited, on-tap only releases tend to hype beer and inflate scores. This is a good example of that theory in action.

07-23-2009 14:06:18 | More by craytonic
indiapaleale

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

The description of this beer goes like this, "Founders Breakfast Stout aged in Kentucky whiskey barrels that were also used by a small maple syrup maker. The beer is then aged underground in the town's local mine. Maple & whiskey soaked wood, Sumatra and Kona coffee beans breakfast stout. Damn. What else can you say?". Sound amazing? It was.

This beer was presented in a stemmed glass. It was dark as night black, almost like cold espresso with a thin, very coffee-colored head.

The aroma is almost heavenly. Lots of dark roasted coffee beans, definite kick of whiskey and the alcohol notes are very apparent, sweet iced coffee with cream, molasses/caramel but alas no maple that I could detect.

The first sip is one of those "holy sh*t" moments a beer lover always hopes for. An immense rush of deep, dark bitter coffee is followed by a smooth, whisky flavor that envelopes everything and almost gives it an "iced Irish Whisky character flavor. Its very complex, the layers are many. There are hints of caramel, molasses and vanilla. Iced caramel macchiato? The barrel aging leaves this one with a dry, yet sweet finish.

The mouthfeel is very, very smooth, almost silky and creamy.

Overall, it is delicious. Does it get anymore amazing than a beer that was aged in a mine in barrels that held both whisky and maple syrup? Unbelievable stuff. There are layers of flavor and the last two to three sips probably could have their very own review. I feel privileged and lucky to have had a glass.

07-23-2009 02:45:10 | More by indiapaleale
twelvsies

Maine

4.55/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

As a big fan of both Founders and barrel aged beers I was pretty excited to get to try this. Served in a smallish goblet type glass. Stout black appearance with a small and tight dark brown head. Malty nose of coffee beans, chocolate, with a hint of whiskey. This beer is so well rounded. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not too sweet - just a nice melding of strong flavors. A bit of vanilla and oak accent a deep rich and roasty malt base with a nice subtle presence of maple and a hearty smack of whiskey flavor. Deep leather flavors and almost smoky. Soft velvet on the palate - just uber smooth and soft. So delicious. Hard not to take giant gulps of this, as it's highy quaffable despite the booze. I might like this better than the Kentucky. A real treat for sure.

07-22-2009 19:42:07 | More by twelvsies
alexgash

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

On-tap at Ashley's. Served in a tulip glass.

Inky, murky dark brown body with a small, light khaki brown head. Good retention and lacing. Rich nose of smoky, roasted malts, semi-sweet chocolate, caramel, vanilla latte, and sugary fruits/maple syrup. Very nice.

Moderate roasted barley and coffee notes up front. Sweet mixture of dark fruits, toffee, vanilla, and molasses take over. Light smoky twang throughout. Full-bodied, thick creamy feel into the finish. Finish is the most maple syrup-affected part of this beer and it works very nicely. Reminiscent of KBS, but minus the bourbon, and plus the sweetness. Delicious and would buy a case of this if it were ever bottled.

07-21-2009 04:20:01 | More by alexgash
BigAl723

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. What a July treat!!!

A: Pours as dark as a northern Michigan sky at night. Black with a creamy head about an inch thick.

S: Vanilla with a slight bourbon smell going on. Very pleasant and inviting.

T: The taste reminds me a lot of the KBS. I taste coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. A slight maple taste comes through towards the end. Hoppy a little also. The taste of this beer is unbelievable, every beer should taste like this.

M: Medium-full bodied. Feels perfect in the mouth. Like an aged stout should.

D: This style of Breakfast Stout seems to flow better than original Breakfast Stout but just as good as KBS.

I loved this beer. The only Founders I have had that is better is Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.

Enjoy...

07-20-2009 22:38:29 | More by BigAl723
wyattshotmaker

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%

poured into a snifter,viscous and black.dark tan head.nice.

nose is pretty incredible.chocolate,dark fruit,vanilla,roasted coffee,interwoven with whiskey.

this beer is impeccably smooth.not as much whiskey flavor as i was expecting,but darkfruit,roasted coffee (minus the acridity!),slight vanilla and whiskey are in the palate.this beer is complex,but not overly so.i really cannot believe how smooth this beer is,all of the flavors mesh so well.

mouthfeel is very smooth with a low amount of carbonation.this is an easy sipper.

if i had to pick out one thing about this beer,it's how incredibly smooth it is.the maple whiskey barrel aging complements this as well.

07-19-2009 00:19:12 | More by wyattshotmaker
klewis

4.03/5  rDev -13.5%

Growler from Party Source, Bellevue, KY

A: Pours a viscous, pitch black with a small, dark brown head. Light lacing.

S: Strong whiskey aroma with notes of cherry and vanilla.

T: A noticeable whiskey character, but less than in the smell. Earthy with flavors of burnt coffee and vanilla. The use of Canadian whiskey barrels instead of bourbon is apparent in a sweet tang on the palate.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Lingering whiskey character on the tongue.

D: Like the other Breakfast stouts from Founders, I find this one enjoyable but hardly transcendent.

07-18-2009 12:55:10 | More by klewis
hughesm4

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

I was fortunat enough to get two glasses out of a tap at Dilly Deli the other night.

A. Pitch Black. First glass had a slight dark brown head on the top that stuck to the side of the glass. The second was nearly a third head, but the keg was nearing the bottom.

S. Great, but not amazing. Bourbon, chocolate, coffe as would be expected

T. The taste is incredible. Very sweet initially that twisted to a bourbon/coffee flavor towards the bottom of the glass as it warmed. Very refreshing on a warm day and I was sad when my glass was empty.

M. Smooth, but couldn've been slightly thicker.

D. If you would tell me this is a 9.4 I would tell you no way, even after seeing the label. Great beer, would probably rate in my top 10.

07-16-2009 21:01:38 | More by hughesm4
weeare138

4.45/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appears an opaque black with a small tan head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of oak, toffee, caramel, cocoa, & mild booze.
Taste echoes the aromas with more of a meat flavor with a touch of booze & coffee notes.
Mouthfeel is smooth, velvetty, warming, n chewy.

07-15-2009 18:22:13 | More by weeare138
hopdog

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%

Draft at the Craft Ale House (2 x 10oz glasses!).

Poured a dark black color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of woodiness, earthy, some whiskey, chocolate, nutty, vanilla, and maple syrup. Tastes of chocolate, the same woodiness, lighter whiskey, vanilla, roasty, and chocolate. Lighter alcohol in the finish, but overall well hidden. This was pretty damn good and glad I had a few glasses of it!

07-15-2009 18:21:28 | More by hopdog
degerbah

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%

On tap at Dilly Deli in Mariemont

Poured out of a jockey box into a plastic disposable cup (I can't complain because it was about 10 oz for $5) Came out a thick black with very dark colored head. I got seconds right as the keg was running out and got a half cup of head, but I'm jotting that down to getting one of the last glasses.

Smell was mainly of coffee and I thought understated for such a big beer. Slight bourbon smell as well.

OMG the taste is amazing. Much smoother and sweeter than regular breakfast stout or KBS. I wish I'd brought bottles to do a side by side but the KBS bourbon taste is very bourbon forward, this was much more subtle. I could tste the maple in the esweet smoothness, but not as heavy as I thought it would be. I had to get seconds because I wasn't paying atention and downed my first glass without knowing it.

Very easy drinker for an imperial stout, it was served outside and it was about 80-85 degrees out and it was still refreshing.

This was awesome, one of my top five beers ever. I want to drive to Michigan and hijack any they might have left.

07-15-2009 15:48:39 | More by degerbah
mwa423

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Had on tap at Dilly Deli, now I get to mark this one off the bucket list!

A - Black...black and blacker, no head but some lacing on the glass.

S - Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, malt.

T - Bourbon, malt all over the place, coffee, surprisingly much sweeter than kbs. Absolutely fantastic I doubt beer will not taste as good for a week.

M -This is the only place I can take half a point off. I wish this was slightly thicker and richer like kbs. Don't get me wrong, it's still a winner.

D - I didn't believe it was 9.4 until I re-read it. Amazing, I could drink this stuff until I passed out

07-14-2009 22:23:11 | More by mwa423
pwoods

4.03/5  rDev -13.5%

On tap at Dilly Deli.

A: Pitch, just the sligtest bit of light. No head, little lacing.

S: Good sweetness, lots of maple and molasses richness. Some pleasant notes of alcohol and wood. Some smokiness comes through as it warms.

T/M: More of the rich maple and molasses sweetness. Further notes of wood, smoke, vanilla and warming alcohol. Body is just under full and very smooth.

D: Decent high abv but drinks real easy.

07-14-2009 22:14:56 | More by pwoods
JonMich13

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Flying Saucer Charlotte.

A = Super dark brown/black with minimal brown head. Light lacing.

S = Smell wasn't overpowering here. Could pick up some boozy whiskey notes in addition to chocolate and coffee.

T = Unbelievable collection of flavors. Where do I begin? Bourbon, whiskey, chocolate, coffee, maple, spicy alcohol. All of this changes and evolves as it warms. If you're lucky enough to try this, make this last an hour and wallow in its glory.

M = Not quite the mouth of the regular Breakfast Stout, which is the pinnacle IMO. But very nice and thick, coating. Just not quite as chewy as the original.

D = Maybe the exquisite taste makes this so drinkable. Despite its strength and complexity, I wanted to gun right through this one it was so good.

Overall, a near perfect brew.

07-11-2009 02:30:49 | More by JonMich13
dismal

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on tap at Kelleher's Irish Pub in Peoria. Was served in a snifter. The bartender was pretty awesome and knowledgeable and told me this one was tasty and she even compared it to the Kentucky Breaksfast Stout for me since this was my first time having it :) The appearance was pitch black with a nice big tan head. The head pretty quickly went down to almost nothing within a few minutes. Despite this happening it still left some, not much, but some lacing down the sides of the glass. Looks very good. I didn't get to much out of the aroma but from what was there it was some coffee and some chocolate as well as some roasted malts. Could have been just me but all the smell was pretty faint and not there but for what was there it was good, like I said was probably just me. The taste, oh my god! Pretty much incredible. Lot's of chocolate in the taste which I wasn't expecting but it was quite the pleasant surprise. There was also some coffee present and some roasted malt. I could also pick up on the bourbon/whiskey flavors and the oak, very nice. The taste was incredible. I've only had the regular Breakfast Stout which was extremely great but this one was amazing! Pretty thick mouthfeel which was just perfect. Drinkability was high especially considering the high ABV and the alcohol was hidden so well. I went in knowing they had this on tap only to have one and ended up drinking three it was so delicious. By far one of the best beers I've ever had. The regular Founder Breakfast Stout was amazing enough but this one, wow, I could drink this every day all day. Like I said, one of the best I've ever had!

07-07-2009 23:10:33 | More by dismal
jwinship83

4.08/5  rDev -12.4%

on tap at founders night at the bavarian lodge. they claimed this was the fastest keg ever to come and go here and it lasted about 13 minutes. served in a snifter. mike bell said this was one of only 40 sixtels to ever have been brewed for this one.

A- black bodied pour with a head so small its not really a skin. partial skin maybe? little to no lacing left behind.

S- lots of chocolate and dark roasted malts. some sweetness from the maple syrup. lots of oak and vanilla from the barrel. cant find any bourbon.

T- sweet maple syrup and chocolate upfront. lots of dark roasted malts. lots of vanilla and oak. couldnt really find the bourbon until after i let it warm up a bit.

M- full bodied and rather thick. palate coating. low level of carbonation that really works for this one.

D- a treat that i wish wasnt so rare. glad i got to try this one. check it out if given the chance. i would have probably gotten a second glass if i was able to.

07-05-2009 14:21:35 | More by jwinship83
birchstick

Colorado

Poured into a snifter from a tap at Kelleher's in Peoria, IL

A - black with a perfect coffee-brown head...looks beautiful

S - The nose contains heavy burnt malts and dark chocolate with a touch of molasses

T - Wow. It took me a while to figure out all what is going on in there. Starts off with the roasted malt being the most dominating taste. As it warmed a bit, sweet molasses and chocolate tones became noticeable adding a nice sweetness to counterbalance the roasted malts. I also got a lot of bourbony vanilla from the bourbon throughout the finish, which added a nice touch. There is also a bit of alcohol burn on the finish, which is what I expect from something aged in whiskey barrels to have. Also got a lot of maple bourbon on the exhale. This is a beautiful harmony of everything I love about dark, rich stouts.

MF - smooth and goes down nicely. Medium body...I wish it was a tad more full.

D - This was an excellent beer-it is so rich it has to be a sipper. I couldn't have asked for anything more. This was a delicious treat and I am very glad I was able to try it.

07-04-2009 17:40:06 | More by birchstick
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

Had a couple of these today on-tap at 33. What a pleasure!

Poured a deep purple black with a rich tan head. Healthy lacing all around.

Beautiful aroma of dark chocolate, maple syrup, bourbon, and coffee.

With each rich and creamy sip I experienced dark chocolate, bourbon, maple syrup, vanilla, dark cherries, molasses, and coffee. The 9.4% alcohol is definitely present.

Full bodied, thick and creamy, with a light carbonation.

A top-notch Impy stout from Founders which I consider myself lucky to try. Enjoyable in a St. Louis summer. I can only imagine this in the heart of winter.

06-30-2009 22:22:03 | More by Monkeyknife
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev -10.3%

sampled on tap at founders june 12/09.

pours opaque black with a small very dense light brown head. the head quickly retreats to a ring around the glass and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is great. dark and bittersweet chocolate. alcohol. light maple. caramel and toffee. light butterscotch. multi-grain bread and biscuit. black coffee. just a touch of citrus.

taste is good. dark and bittersweet chocolate again. maple. multi-grain bread and biscuit. coffee. bit of espresso. caramel. bit of butterscotch. toffee. roasty and toasty. light fruity sweetness. medium-low bitterness level. anise. bit of raisin.

mouthfeel is great. nice big body. silky smooth medium-light carbonation level.

drinkability is good. great balance, nice complexity. not sure how much variation there is batch-to-batch, but the maple in this seems more subdued than the taste i had at DLD this year. good stuff.

06-30-2009 21:29:39 | More by grub
barnzy78

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at The Bavarian Lodge - Lisle, IL

Served a little on the cold side, which probably took away from the appearance and smell categories. Poured black and syrupy with a thin light brown head that dissipated fairly quickly. The thin head left a sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Aromas were weak, but pleasurable - coffee, vanilla, and bourbon mainly. Mouth-feel was incredible! Thick and syrupy with balanced carbonation providing excellent coverage of the palate. tastes were complex and delicious as well - sweet like fresh honey with notes of coffee, bourbon, vanilla, molasses. The maple was slightly present, but not as bold as I anticipated, which actually aided this beer to be more subtle and smooth in comparison to KBS. Also finished sweeter and more complete in comparison to its counterpart. What a treat to have tried this rare gem! Absolutely world class!

06-27-2009 18:44:06 | More by barnzy78
Adamdc

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Had on tap at Redbones. Thanks to fellow BA's for posting that it was being served there!!

A: Jet black pour with 1/2 inch dark tan head. Nice lacing.

A: Incredible blend of choc, roast, malt, maple syrup, molasses and vanilla.

T: Taste is same as aroma but with a little alcohol (well-hidden for 9%) and some hops in the backend. The amazing thing is how all the flavors combine together. It's just a 'big' blend of all the flavors with none really dominating!

M: absolutely smooth and creamy with just the right amount of body. I've always felt that Kate the Great was one of smoothest stouts I've had--this one is right there with it.

D: see above. The smoothness and the well-hidden alcohol make this very drinkable.

This was a fantastic drinking experience. A true standout beer. They need to start bottling this stuff!

06-27-2009 14:55:46 | More by Adamdc
tpd975

4.93/5  rDev +5.8%

HUGE thanks to Gillard for holding this one back to share with the tampa crew at the Cigar City BA Bolita release party.

A: Pours a nice deep dark black. with a small tan head. No lace.

S: Wonderful fresh maple syrup aroma. Hints of bourbon and vanilla hide beneath.

T: WOW! Fresh sweet maple syrup up front, rich, bold, sweet good. The bourbon shows up in the middle. It does not overpower which I like because it lets the maple shine. Vanilla seems to meld right into the maple. The finish a bit of fresh coffee comes out with just a touch of chocolate. Very Very Very complex.

M: Rather full in body, rich, thick, smooth. It lacks carbonation a bit but it has been in the growler a while. No sense of oxidation what so ever.

D: Crazy good. I would love to start and end every day with a glass of this. One of the best tasting beers in the world no doubt about it.

06-27-2009 12:41:37 | More by tpd975
orbitalr0x

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at Bavarian Lodge, Lisle, IL

Arrives in a snifter a deep dark pitch black with a small dark tan bubbly head on top that leaves some lacing behind. Aromas open up as the beer warms with deep chocolate and lots of dark malts. Fresh coffee lies underneath along with mellow oak. The maple syrup sweetness shines through more and more as it gets warmer and adds a really nice twist.

First sip brings big dark malts upfront with a tasty mix of chocolate, mellow coffee and maple syrup sweetness. Oak barrel accents swirl in with vanilla and just a kiss of bourbon. Sweetness lingers on through the finish along with a maple syrup afterthought. Smooth and tasty!

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a nice smoothness and mellow carbonation. Goes down pretty damn easy considering and doesn't have the strong bourbon kick of KBS. I wish I could have got more than one glass but the keg blew in an amazing 15 minutes. A great brew by Founders and I hope to run across it again someday.

06-27-2009 03:52:48 | More by orbitalr0x