Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 3,247
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders CBS Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

4.77/5  rDev +2.1%

I've been waiting for this guy for a while. I'm a lucky man to get a bottle of this. My GF and I enjoyed our first small pours of this with pancakes!

Appearance: Black with brown edges. I see a nice amount of rich coffee head form with each swirl. Nothing that sticks around, but it lets you know that it isn't so thick that nothing is going to be overwhelmingly viscous.

Aroma: Bourbon is the primary smell. Hints of complex maltiness come out. Some black chocolate types of notes along with a hefty dose of bitterness on the nose. It needs to open up a bit before the maple sweetness comes into play. Very nice beer to ponder with your nose.

Taste: Very similar to the nose in that it is all at once complex, but evolves throughout the drinking experience. A lot of bourbon flavor up front, but not so much hot like other bb-aged brews. A hefty bitterness comes into play on the secondary. Lots of dark chocolate and rich espresso notes. But the maple is the real star here. It doesn't whack you over the head with its presence and is really not overly sweet. It almost whaffs into your mouth on the swallow and develops a great aftertastes that balances out the strong bourbon tones and bitterness. After a while in the glass, the flavors meld very well. The maple comes forth more in the initial taste and blends well with the other flavors mentioned before. An amazingly developed and tasty brew.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Thick and heavy, yet the body is light enough to allow your palette to appreciate the nuances this guy offers. This is the perfect beer to enjoy in small pours over the course of the evening. I had three different small doses of this and really had different, altogether remarkable experiences with each.

Overall: This one fits the bill and delivered on the hype. I was a little unsure how it would all come together without clashing, but it is a marvel in that it tastes great, but is extremely nuanced and evolves with each taste.

4.4/5  rDev -5.8%

Well, here it goes. Thanks to woodchopper!
Thanks to my wife, for letting me open this with her!

A: pours black with brown hedging. A gaudy mocha top slowly falls to a solid sheet of lighter mocha. Spotty lace. Pretty beer.
S: Getting the bourbon, not getting the maple so much. Smells malty, dark, with hints of coffee. Smells really good....After a few more minutes, the maple starts to come out and reminds me of maple butternut ice cream.
T: Dark chocolate ice cream, hints of sweet bourbon, flecks of toffee, coffee and not really much maple. Then when I swallow on the subsequent exhalation, I get a really nice rush of the maple. There is just the slightest heat from the alcohol here.
M: Viciously sticky with a full feel and just perfect carbonation. The finish is lasting and combative with my preferred reservation to savor this beer rather than gulp it. This beer has perfectly matched feel for the profile. Only other beer with such a profoundly matched mouthfeel I've had is Hunahpu's.
O: Well, this beer is really really good. The maple tones are subdued with initial tastes, and then initiate their subtle bellicose intents to compel my idle hands to guzzle. Good shit, I expected it to be sweeter, and was pleasantly surprised. I am grateful to have been able to try this one. I would love to have again, and wouldn't pass up an opportunity. A perfect dessert for this accompaniment would be a hot fudge sundae with peanut brittle bits mixed into a rich, high quality vanilla bean ice cream...After which I would probably be sick to my stomach from such a degree of extravagance.

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

An oily thick viscous black pour glugs out of the bottle and into my snifter. A healthy brown head appears and then turns into a nice halo on my glass. Aroma is immediately of maple and chocolate. Taste is of sweet maple, brownie batter and some oaky-vanilla.As it warms the coffee flavor shines through. What I like is it doesn't taste like the burnt coffee flavor I got from the FBS. For as thick and syrupy these flavors sound this beer has such a nice light drinkability... even though its flavors coat the mouth and linger quite long. This beer is amazing but the availability of it drives me crazy. I wish I could get it a little easier... but that might take away from the experience. Overall this is a perfect stout and I would change nothing about it. (except its availability).

4.7/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2008 hand-bottle and 2011 fresh bottle side by side)

Thanks for sharing, Rich and brew3crew!

**The 2008 hand-bottle was significantly better than the fresh bottle. This is my review of the hand-bottle.**

(Aged for 3 years)

Thick and black throughout with a thin layer of light brown crown atop. This is a sticky and thick looking stout, and leaves the glass messy with spots of lacing down the glass.

A divine, complex, and evolving aroma: roasted malt, coffee, rich bourbon, and some sweet maple and vanilla, especially at room temperature.

The taste follows the aroma, but it's even more complex and evolving as the beer progresses from chilled, to cellar, to room temperatures. Initially, this seems very similar to KBS, but as it warms, the vanilla and maple notes emerge more and more, leaving behind something perfect.

Medium to thick mouthfeel with low carbonation. Smooth and incredibly drinkable.

Divine.

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

One of my good friends and I lucked out this past week. I received a bottle of Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout and he bought two bottles of Pliny the Elder. We had the most epic beer tasting afternoon ever. We began with the famous beer from the Russian River Brewing company and ending with the CBS.

Appearance- Black, opaque, and minimal lacing and head. Not much carbonation visually.

Smell- Strong chocolate, roasted coffee, maple syrup, and dark malt notes. Weaker bourbon smell. Has a earthy nutty aroma that lingers slightly.

Taste- This was an ideal/perfect stout. A lot smoother than the traditional breakfast stout and a differently more pronounced maple taste. The bourbon taste isn't as strong as the Backwoods Bastard. All of the aromas come out in the taste, each one being highly distinguishable, balanced so well.

Mouthfeel- Very filling and heavy. Medium to heavy bodied beer. Carbonation in the beer is not as intense but it builds a frothiness on the back end that accents the flavors "frothy goodness".

Overall- The best beer I've ever had to date. Actually bought tears to my eyes. The flavors and smell, each flavor so pronounced and the body of the brew so perfect. This brew embodies the definition of breakfast stout!

4.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Mikasa snifter.

Pours a dark black with one finger tan head. Leaves some lacing on the glass. Very nice.

Smell is pure coffee. Sweet malt. Smooth coffee, some burbon. Very nice.

Taste is all coffee. Sweet malt and some burbon. Very ice.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall this a really good beer. Coffee, some bourbon, some maple. Pretty good. Not better than BT or VB DL, but still very good.

3.03/5  rDev -35.1%

Shared by Whitemomba-- thanks Jason!

Deep reddish hues in the legs and on the edges... Sand colored dark tan head. Nice thick legs. Huge chunks of spotty lace.

Smells like coffee. Coffee rules the nose here, but where's the maple syrup action?
Coffee rocks the flavor too... Very boozy, with roasted coffee flavor, some sweet malt, and a big coffee-flavored boozy bite.
This is nowhere near as good as I remember it being on tap-- too boozy, too much coffee (I like coffee, but this reminds me of "stale" coffee-- not fresh and strong).
Pretty thick feel-- but it's oily and slick.
Overall, this is NOT the same beer I remembered. I'm actually pretty disappointed in this one. It isn't "bad," but it is not "world class."

WAAAY too hot on the back end. (and bear in mind, I like big stouts. I'm not some BMC guy on his 4th review).

Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company