Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Wants: 2,989
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders CBS Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Hand bottle received in trade with ucusty. Thanks...really appreciate getting this one! Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Bottle opens with a nice solid burst of carbonation...definitely a good sign to get things started. Pours with a thick, oil-like consistency, almost totally opaque in the glass, just the slightest of brown around the edge when held to a moderately bright light. A half finger of cappuccino foam rises on top and sits for a short time, slowly falling to the surface and leaving a thick collar where it meets the glass.

S - Really deep and roasty with some nice dark fruit aspects...good amounts of coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Struggling a bit to find the maple syrup...I know it's gotta be there, but it's not hitting me in the face (must retract this...as it warms the maple really starts to come out). Maybe even a touch of bourbon and some vanilla in there too. Excellent.

T - Really smooth flavors and lots of them. I'm struck first by the large presence of vanilla - almost like melted vanilla ice cream - smooth and sweet. Also picking up quite a bit of woody oak flavors here too. The barrels have worked some magic on this one. Actually quite a bit of bitterness overall too - good hop presence without much flavor added to it - just bitterness. This blends nicely with the dark roasted malt and serious coffee flavors found here. Maple syrup - not sure, without some advance knowledge I'd identify this as maple syrup, but knowing what I know I can definitely find the maple here. It takes form of a complementary sweetness that combines with the vanilla exceptionally well. Sit these on top of a nice bitter base and we have ourselves one excellent stout.

M - The flavor is excellent, but the mouthfeel is really a standout feature of this stout. It is so silky and creamy feeling - feels like I'm drinking heavy cream. Thick and oily -slick on the tongue. Being a hand bottle, not sure about how the carbonation was intended to present itself, but it fits quite nicely for me. Carbonation is on the low side, but definitely not flat...has just enough life to tingle the tongue gently and caress it as the beer floats down the throat. Any more carbonation and I'd be afraid of it being a bit distracting. I've had a couple of beers recently with amazing mouthfeel...this takes a new 2nd place behind the BA Blackout which was amazing.

D - Alcohol really doesn't make itself known very well. There are so many wonderful sweet and desert-like flavors swimming around in this stout, the alcohol might be consumed among them. This really is a fabulous beer...if anything, I feel like it's missing a bit of the maple I remember (but maybe I'm romanticizing my first experience with this beer), but it hardly matters. Excellent American imperial stout...highly recommend doing whatever it takes to try this beer...hope Founders finds it within themselves to bottle this as some sort of regular seasonal offering.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%

Counter pressured bottle courtesy of ucusty.

Notes are scant, so I'll just bang out the highlights. Jet black stout w/creamy head. Smell is phenomenal with vanilla, maple, booze, wood all pouring out. Taste is shockingly good. Especially when tasted alongside KBS and FBS. The other bottles actually cowered and ran off in the Canadian's presence. We've got maple syrup, serious sweetness including vanilla and chocolate perfectly balanced w/roast and some slight bourbon/oaky character. Mouth is thick w/the sweetness making it a true breakfast-worthy beer. Highly recommend. Lived up to the hype for me and then some.

A-Dark Dark Chocolate. Perfection to me is a beer you can't see through, and this beer definitely fits the bill.

S-Bitter chocolate, burnt coffee. Almost a hint of something peppery. Reminds me of hung over mornings with far away friends in foreign places.

T-Extremely delicious, melt in your mouth goodness. The regular breakfast stout is my staple go-to beer at Founder's when it is available, and this one-ups it nicely. Maple and vanilla afterthoughts, bold rich coffee.

M-Thick and rich, as it should be. A meal in itself.

D-Why is this beer so drinkable? I could drink it all night, but Founder's has far too many other great beers on tap to stick with just one. I will have as much of this beer as possible while it is available, and I look forward to trying KBS in a few weeks to compare it.

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%

8 oz pour into a snifter at the Founders Taproom. Pours deep dark brown (not black) with a medium tan head. Delicious looking beer. Smells of coffee, rich chocolate, maple and a bit of alcohol. Tastes like something you would get at starbucks like my buddy said. Almost reminds me of a mocha frappucino. Milk chocolate, mocha, bitter coffee, maple, oak, lots going on here. Mouthfeel is thick, lush, creamy, warming and comforting. All I can say about the drinkability is that I watched my buddy put away his 12 oz pour like it was a pale ale. Its really high. I could drink this all night but there are too many other beers on the tap list I want to try. Absolutely amazing beer, my only gripe is I wonder how different it really is from KBS. I'd really like to try them side by side. Maybe I'll have the chance on the 13th at the KBS release party.

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color is a complete black with a thin tan head and some little lacing on the glass.

The smell is deep coffee with some fresh coffee bean flavor. Some dark chocolate flavor is in the background and gives a nice robust feel.

The taste is big with some nice chocolate flavor that comes out strong. There are some nice coco and mocha flavors that really give a breakfast feel. Some bourbon flavor does come out here and there and there are many complex flavors throughout this beer it would take a while to name them all.

The feel of this beer really well balanced. There is a nice sweet flavor that smooths out the alcohal feel in this beer and hides it well in some great flavor. It goes down nice and smooth and is very enjoyable.

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

I had this at the Founders Taproom yesterday, as the last leg of a Midwest trip. What a great way to finish off a fun trip! Thanks to my good friend and fellow BA TCGoalie for giving me the heads up that this was available at the brewery.

I'm always a little wary of reviewing a beer that I know is rated so highly, but this one made it easy. So tasty and enjoyable to imbibe. This review is from detailed notes.

A: Poured almost jet-black with just a little bit of a brownish tint into a tall, thin, 12 ounce glass that was flared at the top. The head was an attractive mocha that had just about disappeared by the time the beer was brought to me. The beer left a small, dotty, sticky lacing pattern on the sides of the glass, along with a clear, thick film that coated the glass after a sip.

S: As soon as I saw that the smaller pours of this were served in a snifter, I was a little sad that I got the tall 12 oz. glass, because it was a little more difficult to catch the full aroma. However, my girlfriend got the smaller pour a little later, so I was able to get the full effect of the smell from her pour. The main scent was a medium-bodied coffee bean. There was a nice maple sweetness that accompanied the coffee smell, and just a hint of toffee and caramel. It smelled like I imagine a Canadian household smelling at breakfast-time.

T: Phenomenal. The rich flavor was so well balanced between the maple sweetness and the slight acidic coffee taste. The taste starts out sweet and then as the sip is finished, a slight bitter hop characteristic takes over. However the taste left in the mouth after the sip is that rich, coating maple sweetness again. Such a complex and rich flavor. Every component ingredient was perfectly proportioned to the others.

M: Full and coating. The feel was so exciting and satisfying. The beer really disperses its flavors evenly and thickly over the palate. The carbonation was so perfect for this beer that it was almost an afterthought.

D: Not surprisingly, this beer had a fabulous drinkability. I never thought that the sweetness of the flavor overpowered my palate, and there was no alcohol detectable. This beer was so flavorful and rich. Founders really has a good thing going with their Breakfast Stout line and I can't wait to try the Kentucky version soon!

4.08/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Poured a nice rich black color. The head was mocha in color. Quite a bit of lacing for a beer of this test.

S: The thing I kept expecting in this beer and never getting was sweetness. I expected to get a huge maple syrup nose but truth be told it was barely there. Lots of coffee and chocolate. A touch of roast. Little bit of barrel but not that much.

T: Just like the nose. Again not that sweet at all. Big coffee taste. Chocolate after that. Maybe some nuts thrown in there as well.

M: Much lighter than I thought it would be. Very creamy mouthfeel. Nice level of carbonation.

D: This beer was a little bit of a letdown for me. It was an excellent beer for sure but I expected more. I enjoyed KBS much more than this and it was slightly ahead of regular breakfast stout. That being said it would be a nice addition to their bottled offerings.

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%

Counterpressure-filled bottle/growler courtesy bret27 at Woodshop 5.0. Pours darkest brown with a nice tan foamy head and some syrupy legs. Aroma is black roasty malts, coffee, maple syrup, smoke, and caramel. Pretty nice, but not as good as the flavor, which is absurd. Chewably thick body, tons of roasted malts and dark chocolate tempered by a smokey maple syrup note with wood, sweet bourbon-like accents, espresso, faint berries. Incredible. Dry and slightly bitter, no astringency, full bodied, epic.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

Had on tap in a taster glass at EBF 2010

Appearance: pours a deep rich syrup like color with a small hazlenut head that recedes quickly.

Smell: smells fantastic. Sweet, canadian bacon, maple syrup and waffle like aromas come through. Creamy aroma too.

Taste: tastes like liquid bacon, waffles and maple syrup. Balanced though all of the sweetness with bitter chocolate flavors and a slight alcohol bite. This was my favorite stout at the fest for sure. Creamy whipped cream like texture and flavors meld well with the chocolate shavings and bourbon undertones.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and easy to drink. Hides the abv incredibly and leaves the mouth slightly dry. Texture and finish are second to only kentucky breakfast stout.

Drinkability: Huge for such a powerful beer. This was such a treat and its perfect with rich dishes as well as by itself. Creamy, balanced, focused through the whole session!

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

Served on-tap at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Pours a dark, dark brown nearing black with a nice 1 finger creamy light tan head.

S: Wonderful aroma of coffee, some sweet, sticky bourbon rich cocoa, milk chocolate and a wonderfully rich and potent maple syrup.

T: I must say, that I was skeptical of the hype being given to this beer, but Founders really delivered with this beer (but when do they not). The typical elements of all great BA Imperial Stouts are found; chocolate, coffee, bourbon, oak, vanilla, ect., but the addition of the maple syrup bourbon barrel aging is just phenomenal. Sweet, sticky, rich, but never overpowering. Incredible balance in this flavor profile.

M: Full-bodied with fairly low and creamy carbonation with a nice warming bourbon that coats the entire palate quite nicely along with the maple syrup.

D: I just hope that they bottle this as I could drink this all night long.

Overall this beer certainly lived up to its hype for me and is yet another expertly crafted Imperial Stout from Founders. Highly Recommended.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

This was the first beer I tried at EBF NoTB 2010. Let's see what this great brew is all aboot, eh?

A: Pours pitch black and is virtually impervious to light. A thin tan head settled on top after a fairly gentle pour.

S: Very strong coffee aromas dominate this legendary brew's nose. Are there freshly ground coffee beans in my tasting glass? Whiffs of sweet chocolate and feint oak also meet my nose. Overall, a strong, vibrant, and appealing nose on this one.

T: An explosion of coffee and chocolate flavors hit my palate after the first sip. Bitter espresso, mocha, coco nibs, and dark chocolate are all present in the flavor. There is some warming sweet liquor at the finish - something along the lines of bourbon or brandy. There is some burnt coffee at the end of each sip as well. A really complex and well put together taste.

M: It's not quite full bodied, which I think it appropriate for a brew with so many coffee characteristics in it. The alcohol is barely noticeable.

D: Drinks dangerously well for a brew bordering on 10%. I heard the first batch of this was even better than what Founders brought to NoTB this year. However, I doubt it could have been much better than this already is. A truly exceptional stout.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at Founders in a flute glass.

Dark black color with a light head.

Smell is heavy on the coffee, with dark chocolate and maybe slight maple mixed in. Taste is delicious: a strong coffee blended with dark chocolate syrup. Maple is present, but unless I knew that was the defining characteristic of the beer I probably wouldn't have picked up on it. This has a perfect balance between sweetness and bitterness from the coffee. Alcohol is nearly unnoticeable.. making this one of the most drinkable imperial stouts I've tried. This lived up to the massive hype that has been placed on it.

4.8/5  rDev +3%

So glad to finally see this on tap at Founders! Notes to follow:

At first, the beer doesn't seem that exciting from the look of it, dark, not much head. Two things are unique...there is a dark amber color on the angles near the top of the glass where light can get through. Second, swish the glass around and you can see an almost candy coating on the glass. High viscosity.

I didn't get a very good smell of this beer due to the bar setting. I did get some biscuit and maple in the smell.

The first taste is sweet followed by a balancing carbonation combination of mild pine hops, coffee, chocolate, molasses, and roasty biscuit. It finishes with a lot of maple goodness. The balance is really good between the maple and other ingredients. Wonderful!

A very interesting part of this drink is the maple coating of the mouth after swallowing. It follows with a bit of stickiness, but the maple coating is so unusual.

This is a silky smooth combo that leads to a very drinkable stout. I want more!

4.15/5  rDev -10.9%

Had on draft at the brewery, poured into a fluted glass.

A: A deep rich chocolate with no head, only a thin ring of carbonation at the edge of the beer. It's totally opaque, and looks like... a stout. I don't know what people would consider exceptional about most stouts, let alone this one. It's good, that's about it.

S: Whiffs of coffee, chocolate, maple, with controlled booze and no hot alcohol. It's a bit nutty, too, but I might be smelling the brewery itself, to be honest. Nice.

T: Syrupy sweet with a sharp hop note along with the mild coffee flavors, with a boozy finish. Toasty roasty notes in the mid palate, with some chocolate sweetness in there as well. I'm thinking about sparking chocolate coffee syrup with a bit of hop bitterness on the tongue. It finishes sweet and boozy. Not too cloying.

M: Smooth, thick, rich - great for the beer. A nice level of carbonation helps it avoid being syrupy.

D: Not mindblowing, to be honest. Another case of an A+ beer being due to rarity and expectations vs. how the beer actually delivers. The sweetness and booziness actually detracts from the perfection of Breakfast Stout. I'm glad that it avoids being too cloying and hot with alcohol, but it's nowhere near the complex and perfectly balanced original.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Served at EBF. Not as sweet as expected, which was a great surprise. It was still sweet, but drinkable. Pours a very dark body with no head. Coffee up front with chocolate, but good god is it coffee driven. Really light body, possibly too light. Very creamy, very good.

Side note: mix 60% CBS with 40% Utopias for a real treat

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

The beer pours a dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is out of control. It has the regular Breakfast stout scent; chocolate, coffee, oatmeal. It also has a kick ass bourbon aroma with a complimentary maple syrup character. I was told by the owner at EBF that the barrels it aged in were former bourbon barrels soaked in maple syrup. The taste is incredible. It has multiple layers of complexity. The rich chocolate and oatmeal flavors along with a stiff, bitter coffee character, followed up with bourbon and maple syrup flavors. Damn, this is an incredible beer; because of the different tastes involved it's open for folks who don't normally care for dark beers. The mouthfeel is near perfect. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is maybe the best beer on the planet. The KBS was my pick before, but this may overtake it.

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Enjoyed on tap at Sheffields 12/06/09. From notes:

A - Jet black without head. Minimal lace.

S - Roast barley, molasses, oak, vanilla, caramel. Whisky intensifies as the beer warms.

T - Sweet chocolate, a bit of whisky, vanilla, and a bit of spice. Smoother and milder than KBS, with mild to moderate hop bitterness.

M - Velvety, full body.

D - Excellent, alcohol is entirely hidden. Delicious beer.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

Dark black.
Brown head.
Espresso.
Aromas of maple, vanilla, chocolate, oak, whisky.
Taste is the same.
Liquid is thick and viscous when held in the mouth.
I'd like some more of this.
Thank you to the drunk guy outside of the Toronado barleywine festival waiting to grab the # 22 bus who decided to share this with me. Haha.

Stunning. Huge thanks to the Charleston Beer Exchange for being the best ever at what they do. The Michael Jordan of Southeast beer stores.

Just may be the best stout ever. Well, at least the best breakfast stout. Wonderful hints of maple syrup, but nowhere near overpowering. Really ties the chocolate and wood notes together into one super smooth package. Believe the hype.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to Kevin for sharing this brew. I should extend thanks to eyebrews as well, who sent a half gallon of Canadian Breakfast Stout as an extra. That is some true Advocacy.

Pours black, reddish dark brown edges. Thin and very fine pathy head with a ring of microbubbles around the glass and a few strands of larger globules of air. The aroma is lousy with dry coffee beans, bourbon that is present but ungodly smooth, and maple that is not just sweetness but complexity and nuance, and dark chocolate.

The flavor begins with fresh cold brewed coffee, rich, smooth, but not bitter or acidic. That dark chocolate is present as well, also rich and it comes with a mild yet rich maple and oak. There is a bit of an herbal twang to it as well, and it is hot, but in such a good way. The finish has big and sweet bourbon notes with a bread pudding type of finish. I had some skepticism toward the high regard for this beer, but this met and exceeded any and all expectation. Phenomenal. The body is thick, velvety, silky, with a light smooth carbonation.

Absolutely delicious.

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

I cannot express how enthused I am to be typing this review! Enormous thanks to Kevin for inviting me (and others) over last night to share this one!

A: The pour is thick, creamy, and dark as the night with a thin layer of mocha colored head sitting on top. Some mild lacing as I drink a couple pours of this.

S: Insane amounts of fresh, roasted coffee are the first sensations to hit the nose. There are some nice undertones of bourbon, oak, and chocolate. The maple aromas are present, but not super bold.

T: All the good things about the nose are translated to the flavors of the beer. The coffee is once again very intense, with an ever so slight maple sweetness. The oak and bourbon flavors provide a touch of sweet vanilla to the beer.

M: Despite the travel from Michigan to CA, this growler has held up quite nicely. A smooth, creamy mouthfeel and a nice full body.

D: I cannot say enough nice things about this beer. I'm absolutely thrilled to have had the opportunity to try it, and I would drink more of this again in a heartbeat.

4.8/5  rDev +3%

Picked up one of 55 bottles of this tasty tipple at the Charleston Beer Exchange. Damned happy to have been able to procure one.

A - Poured into a snifter. Pours dark black/brown with a tiny, large bubbled dark khaki head.

S - Oh, just incredible. The coffee aroma comes out sharp and powerful - like a handful of freshly ground coffee beans. The coffee scent is engulfed in a sweet sugary whiff of maple syrup.

T - Again, terrific. The flavor, when the beer first hits the tongue, is bourbon-tastic. Vanilla bean and bourbon, right off the bat. Maple syrupy sweetness sort of acts as landing gear for the first burst of alcoholic flavor. This quickly delves back into strongly boozy. The aftertaste is powerful, sweet, and alcoholic.

M - Velvety, smooth, and medium bodied. Not as thick as some other powerful stouts, but I think this is calculated as sometimes thicker beers with high levels of sweetness can come off as too syrupy.

D - Due to the ABV I doubt I could really drink a ton of this stuff, but I sure as hell would like to try.

Did it live up to the hype? Yes. Yes it did.

On-tap at Hopcat

A: Very dark black with small amounts of carbonation.

S: Coffee and heavy bourbon on the taste.

T: Creamy with bourbon coffee and faint chocolate and some slight vanilla flavors.

M/D: Decently drinkable and very tasty.

Everything I'd hoped for, one of the better surprises I've had recently.

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

On-tap at the Church Key - love their twitter updates, always keeping me informed on their brews. In any case, I've been looking for this one for ever, so was very excited to find it in my area. Pour was pitch black with no highlights, a small finger of tan head that left solid lacing on my glass. Nose is a little milder than expected - surprisingly fruity, chocolate and roasted malt. Nice, but nothing compared with the monstrous flavor that comes through. Huge chocolate and roasted malt up front. Then the maple syrup shows up subtly, adding a sort of unique spicy vanilla flavor. Really big, delicious flavor. Body is thick and creamy, full, with smooth carbonation that works perfectly. Overall, this beer was near perfect for me. Exceptional taste and drinkability, all kinds of complexity. Would unquestionably have this again if I ever had the opportunity.

Church Key/$9/10 oz

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

Happy new year to me! I was just sitting at home tonight getting ready for a night with just me and the girlfriend, making some good food and getting some beer from the collection chilled when I happened to check out Churchkey's Twitter page. CBS on tap tonight 5:00 pm! I explained I couldn't pass this up and we were out front in line at 4:45. As soon as they opened they had CBS snifters pre-poured expecting the majority of people in line to order them. Served in a 10oz snifter.

Appearance was black with a thin tan covering that clung to the sides of the glass. Laced nicely on the glass as I drank it.

Aroma was great, chocolate, coffee and roasted grains were all present but the chocolate was the most present. The barrel characteristics also came through with a vanilla and slight bourbon aroma.

Taste was amazing, complex, smooth and delicious. Chocolate again was the dominating flavor but coffee, roasted grains, vanilla and bourbon. There was some sweetness to it as well, couldn't really identify it as maple but I'd like to think it was the maple barrel effect on the beer.

Mouthfeel was full bodied and creamy with below average carbonation. I don't think I could have asked for a better feeling beer, carbonation was just right and it had a nice body to it.

Drinkability was very good, it was so smooth for the abv. The chocolaty flavor made it very easy drinking and although the barrel characteristics were there they were not overpowering. Could have had several of these if we didn't have to leave.

overall this has to be one of the top beers I have ever had and probably the top stout to date. I was expecting coffee and maple to have a stronger presence and instead it was chocolate that stole the show. Awesome, so glad I got to finally try this one.

Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company