Founders CBS Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Wants: 2,997
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders CBS Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +3%

Picked up one of 55 bottles of this tasty tipple at the Charleston Beer Exchange. Damned happy to have been able to procure one.

A - Poured into a snifter. Pours dark black/brown with a tiny, large bubbled dark khaki head.

S - Oh, just incredible. The coffee aroma comes out sharp and powerful - like a handful of freshly ground coffee beans. The coffee scent is engulfed in a sweet sugary whiff of maple syrup.

T - Again, terrific. The flavor, when the beer first hits the tongue, is bourbon-tastic. Vanilla bean and bourbon, right off the bat. Maple syrupy sweetness sort of acts as landing gear for the first burst of alcoholic flavor. This quickly delves back into strongly boozy. The aftertaste is powerful, sweet, and alcoholic.

M - Velvety, smooth, and medium bodied. Not as thick as some other powerful stouts, but I think this is calculated as sometimes thicker beers with high levels of sweetness can come off as too syrupy.

D - Due to the ABV I doubt I could really drink a ton of this stuff, but I sure as hell would like to try.

Did it live up to the hype? Yes. Yes it did.

4.8/5  rDev +3%

On-tap at Hopcat

A: Very dark black with small amounts of carbonation.

S: Coffee and heavy bourbon on the taste.

T: Creamy with bourbon coffee and faint chocolate and some slight vanilla flavors.

M/D: Decently drinkable and very tasty.

Everything I'd hoped for, one of the better surprises I've had recently.

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

On-tap at the Church Key - love their twitter updates, always keeping me informed on their brews. In any case, I've been looking for this one for ever, so was very excited to find it in my area. Pour was pitch black with no highlights, a small finger of tan head that left solid lacing on my glass. Nose is a little milder than expected - surprisingly fruity, chocolate and roasted malt. Nice, but nothing compared with the monstrous flavor that comes through. Huge chocolate and roasted malt up front. Then the maple syrup shows up subtly, adding a sort of unique spicy vanilla flavor. Really big, delicious flavor. Body is thick and creamy, full, with smooth carbonation that works perfectly. Overall, this beer was near perfect for me. Exceptional taste and drinkability, all kinds of complexity. Would unquestionably have this again if I ever had the opportunity.

Church Key/$9/10 oz

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%

Happy new year to me! I was just sitting at home tonight getting ready for a night with just me and the girlfriend, making some good food and getting some beer from the collection chilled when I happened to check out Churchkey's Twitter page. CBS on tap tonight 5:00 pm! I explained I couldn't pass this up and we were out front in line at 4:45. As soon as they opened they had CBS snifters pre-poured expecting the majority of people in line to order them. Served in a 10oz snifter.

Appearance was black with a thin tan covering that clung to the sides of the glass. Laced nicely on the glass as I drank it.

Aroma was great, chocolate, coffee and roasted grains were all present but the chocolate was the most present. The barrel characteristics also came through with a vanilla and slight bourbon aroma.

Taste was amazing, complex, smooth and delicious. Chocolate again was the dominating flavor but coffee, roasted grains, vanilla and bourbon. There was some sweetness to it as well, couldn't really identify it as maple but I'd like to think it was the maple barrel effect on the beer.

Mouthfeel was full bodied and creamy with below average carbonation. I don't think I could have asked for a better feeling beer, carbonation was just right and it had a nice body to it.

Drinkability was very good, it was so smooth for the abv. The chocolaty flavor made it very easy drinking and although the barrel characteristics were there they were not overpowering. Could have had several of these if we didn't have to leave.

overall this has to be one of the top beers I have ever had and probably the top stout to date. I was expecting coffee and maple to have a stronger presence and instead it was chocolate that stole the show. Awesome, so glad I got to finally try this one.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to Mikey for bringing this to Rush Hour v.1

...seriously. Never thought I'd be drinking this beer.

A- Dark, robust brown, khaki head, moderate carbonation, fantastic for a handbottle (it 'popped' when opened.. yes!)

S- Whoa. Coffee, maple/honey, rich sugars, smoke. A good deal of smoke. Really complex... begging to be poured into my mouth. Won't deny this beer it's moment of glory...

T- Maple is there, but the smoky barrels come through a lot stronger. The woodiness and campfire notes are delicious. The bitter coffee notes do wonders here, and I get a hint of bitter chocolate to round it all out. The honey/maple sweetness and a bit of buttery/caramel bourbon are icing on the cake. Damn.

M- Great body and mouthfeel. No complaints here, good job to Founders.

D- Um, I'd drink three growlers back-to-back-to-back if I could. I want to drink this morning, noon, and night. No sign of the ABV, nothing but pure awesomeness.

And I don't even consider stouts to be anywhere near my favorite style. This one is just that good.

If/when CBS is re-released, I will be drinking it until I run out of money. World-class in every sense, this is what beer is all about. If only it wasn't so hard to come by...

3.93/5  rDev -15.7%

I've had this one 2-3 times at the GTMW and at The Peach in downtown Muncie. If you want to come close to this one just take a Breakfast Stout and stir in a tablespoon of maple syrup. This is an interesting beer and I am glad I had the privilege of being able to try it.Founders does some amazing things with their brews and they never leave me disappointed. So if you've had a breakfast Stout just imagine the same thing with a maple syrup addition!

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

Many thanks again to Mikey for providing a beer that I had only a sip of once before at EBF.

The handbottle opened with a bit of sound, and poured near black with not much head formation, but left a spot or two of lacing. Dark tan ring around the edge of my glass.

Smells phenomenal. Incredible job on the handbottle, Mikey. Even if there was oxidation present, it wouldn't even be able to whisper amidst the symphony of flavors going on here. Complex aromas of maple and marzipan. Coffee takes on almost a hazelnut flavor while still blending with clean, chocolate-covered beans. Sweet nuttiness and chocolatey nougat and almond biscotti with vanilla drizzle. The taste follows with these flavors and just a hint of alcohol in the finish, which is negligible in the grand scheme of the flavor profile.

Canadian Breakfast Stout has low to medium carbonation, which has been well-preserved from this hand bottle. Extremely drinkable and just a very pleasant beer. I would drink this everyday if I could and hope that the rumored future batches are as exceptional as this one.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Review from various notes and thoughts from trying this at EBF, around Philly a few times and recently at ChurchKey in DC.

First off, I'm leaving my ChurchKey experience out of this since this beer on opening night there was oddly sour (and not the last beer I've had there that has been "off"). Appearance wise doesn't differentiate itself much from KBS, thick opaque black liquid with a thin deep tan/mocha head that fades quickly but leaves ok lacing.

Aroma is very similar to KBS, but not as boozy or coffee forward. Dominated by sweet notes of vanilla, oak, maple, sugars, etc with a mild coffee background. The maple is as strong or noticeable as the vanilla or bourbon and oak aromas, or as expected going into the beer. That's not a bad thing, as I prefer this aroma over KBS. Mouthfeel is very nice, thick, chewy, low carbonation, not overly boozy, very silky smooth. Flavors are similar to KBS but a little sweeter from the maple and a little more mellowed out. All the same notes from the aroma and the finish lingers forever. In the end I still prefer the KBS for the stronger flavors and less sweetness, but this is a very complex and pleasing beer and hopefully this will continue to make regular appearances on tap.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Just another whip out of pure awesomeness at the epic Rush Hour Tasting I. This one also came thanks to Mikey711.

A: Pretty thick as well, but not so much compared to the Black Tuesday we poured next to it. Pitch black color, some carbonation but not much, which can be forgiven coming from x week old growler.

A: Sweet maple first hits the aroma, but it's very tame compared to what I thought it would be. Smokiness is the other big word on this one, lots of smoky aromas and roasted malts. A little boozy but not much. Some dark fruits, and quite a bit of porter-esque aromas of roastedness. Some coffee trickles our, but still light. A touch of oatmeal and chocolate round off the nose.

T: Pretty sweet again, but not overbearing. It has some maple taste, but again not too overpowering. An earthy stout taste comes out as well with lots more roasted malts and some coffee. Again more smoky flavors, that I believe some of it stems from the maple syrup, but there are probably some nice smoked malts as well. Some hops and bitterness cut through all that for a nice addition. It gives a bit of a chewy oat taste as well. Some malty flavors billow out as the taste warms bringing a lot of espresso and roast with it. Some semi sweet chocolate comes through late as well.

M: Pretty thick, but doesn't weigh your mouth down, with some carbonation (again due to growler). Almost velvety in the mouth but not completely.

F: Finishes slightly bitter from the stout charred malt flavor to the spicy hop addition. It also is semi sweet, which the sweetness up front on the taste has dried off quite a bit to a nice finish. More roast follows late, or hangs around at least, with a little more of the smoky flavors. Definitely a Canadian Breakfast in a bottle... er growler. Thanks again Mikey.

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

Once again my thanks to stowehop.

The color was as close to black as brown gets.

Light brown head, with roasty/boozey/sweet aroma.

The taste was a sweet bourbony malt treat. This was consumed at a slightly elevated temperature so the flavors were perfect in my estimation. The maple was very present and intensefide as we neared the bottom.

This was very drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev -4.5%

On tap at the Thirsty Monk in Asheville, before Brewgrass '09. Never thought I'd see it so far south! Exciting times, to be sure. Had this alongside a bottle of 09 KBS and a pint of Founder's own Breakfast Stout. It don't get much better than that. From coaster notes:

A. Looks like KBS, honestly. Quite dark, nearly black, with a deep red-brown head that is smallish. Thick and dangerous looking.

S. Hmm... this is a smoother, more rounded version of KBS. Delicious rich, sweet roast malt, coffee, chocolate, no real maple smell for me, alas!, but plenty of delicious woody vanilla notes, some booze, a rap to the nose. Everything here seems complementary and lush. Seems like a toned down version of KBS that's less bourbon-forward. I can deal, and in fact this smells wonderful.

T. Once again, this is a more rounded, smoother, subdued KBS, but I still ain't tasting maple, dadgumit! Massive amounts of toasted, roasted, burnt and blackened malt roll over the tongue, thankfully there is smooth malt sweetness to match the bitter and characterful roast. Coffee, cocoa, vanilla and wood (from the barrels), some dark fruit and hints of alcohol... but not as bold and tough as it's older bro. Still very good.

M. Thick, smooth, rich, medium-low carbonation, delightful mocha-roasty sweet finish.

D. Actually more drinkable in quantity than the Kentuck version. Not miles different. Would have preferred to actually taste the vaunted maple. I can't say I prefer Canadian Breakfast stout, but I did quite enjoy it. In the top 15 beers on BA? Nah... but this IS killer stout. Drink if ya can.

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%

On tap, poured into a mini-snifter.

A: jet black with a caramel colored thick foamy head and strong lacing. An extremely inviting beer.

S: a lot going on here- in a good way. some bourbony alcohol, but not too much, raisins, vanilla, maple syrup and just hints of pipe tobacco and coffee as it warms.

T: based on the aroma, I wasn't expecting the bold roasted coffee flavors I got with the first sip- I liked it though! definitely getting maple syrup and butterscotch with every sip. as I make my way to the bottom of the glass the sweet syrup and butterscotch jump ahead of the coffee. The boozy flavor, much like the aroma, is just right.

M: full bodied, silky smooth and creamy. this is a beer you want to hold in your mouth as long as humanly possible- I didn't want to swallow it!

D: Canadian Breakfast Stout is absolutely fantastic. Definitely among the top 10 beers I've had. Really glad I had an opportunity to enjoy this one.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Had the opportunity to enjoy this treat at Stoutday Sunday at Sheffield's. I started with a full pour served in a snifter, but found myself going back to samples which were obtained with the drink coupons.

A: Appearance is pretty much the same as BS and KBS. Black, viscous, thin tan head that doesn't really stick around long.

S: Wow! Where do I start with description? The front has loads of the barrel characteristics. Lots of vanilla, brown sugar, maple which then is met by the bold delicious coffee that Founders uses in their breakfast stouts. The coffee aroma is somewhat subdued in comparison to BS and KBS, but with so many things going on in this beer, the coffee is at the perfect level. Some chocolate on the finish. No noticeable alcohol content.

T: The taste lives up to the promise of complexity and variety that the smell suggested. The maple character lends a sweetness that is not present in BS and KBS which seems to balance beautifully with the bourbon and coffee notes. I drank this side by side with a KBS, and found CBS to be much more mellow and balanced. Both are world class brews, but I prefer this one more due to everything being perfectly in balance. Lots of sweetness on the front with maple syrup, oak, vanilla, and chocolate with a finish of dark roasted coffee. This is the best beer I have ever tasted. Drinking a glass of this reminds me of having pancakes with maple syrup and a cup of coffee. The contrast between the sweet maple and the bold coffee harmonizes in to what I would consider a damn near perfect flavor.

MF: nice thick chewy body, low on the carbonation, everything good here

D: Following my full pour of this, I sampled other stouts that were available, but found my self coming back to this. Having it back to back with KBS along with some other great stouts, I realized this one is a stand out! I could drink loads more of this, unfortunately that is hardly possible. The 9.4% abv is nowhere to be found.

Notes: This is hands down the perfect beer for me. I loved KBS when it came out, but found the bourbon character to be a tad stronger than I would have liked. CBS has a toned down bourbon character, and as stated before, it is perfectly balanced.

4.03/5  rDev -13.5%

I drank this on tap into a snifter.

CBS pours a very dark black with no brown in the light with a very nice mocha colored head. The head is about a finger and super thick but is gone quickly. Lacing is ok.

The aroma is light chocolate and oak with a little vanilla. I didn't get any syrup here.

The taste is very sweet, almost way to sweet and now i know where the maple was hiding. It is prominent here with some bourbon and a coffee finish.

The feel is nice but too sweet to be drinkable.

I was very excited to drink this and I like it better than the KBS but to me this is way overrated. There are so many better beers let alone better RIS that no way this is deserving of a top 10 ranking. The rarity really must bump it up.

4.03/5  rDev -13.5%

I tried this side-by-side with KBS. It is an excellent pour, but alas, I'd have to say, I much prefer the KBS.

The maple syrup character makes this just a little too sweet. KBS is already fairly sweet, but this just kicks it up a bit too much. I also prefer the aroma of KBS, but then again, that's because I love bourbon. So if you are not a fan of overly boozy bourbon barrel-aged beers, you are probably going to love this.

All of the other complexities remain. This is a very good beer that I was happy to be able to try, but falls short of being "exceptional" in my opinion.

4.33/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into a snifter.

Inky jet black liquid with a chocolate ice cream colored finger of head that sticks around for a while.

The nose is wet oak, bourbon, cocoa powder, vanilla, roasted coffee, dark malts. Where's the maple?

The taste follows the nose with some strong bourbon notes, lot's of wet wood, chocolate, vanilla, coffee and roasted malt. It finishes with a sugary sweetness that I take is from the maple.

Mouthfeel is soft, slick, and medium bodied with a low level of carbonation. I expected it to be a little more viscous.

I'm really happy I finally got to try this, but I do believe I enjoy KBS more. I'm not saying this beer wasn't delicious, but the hype factor totally killed it for me. The $10 pour was a little rough too.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in a snifter at Sheffield's 12/6/09. Special thanks to HeatherAnn and Steve for the assist!

A: Served an angry jet black. Small, creamy, 1/2 finger of dark mocha/espresso crema colored foam perched on top quickly recedes to a tiny skim that isn't much of a lace leaver.

S: Heavenly aromas of bourbon, espresso, dark chocolate, wet barrel, maple, vanilla, and fudge brownies. Brown sugar, dark fruit, and molassas as well.

T: Exactly as above. Absolutely incredible!

M: The sweetness of the maple really helps to soften the bitter edges of the hops and dark chocolate (like found in regular Breakfast Stout). Sure there's some prickle, but it fits in with everything else now like a puzzle piece!

D: Well, it's about time! I've been fruitless in my quest to try this beer for the last six months, or so. This absolutely deserves all the hype that it receives! Absolutely masterful!

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this a couple months ago but waffled on posting the review for reasons I don't know. I thoroughly enjoyed this brew but I wanted more maple. Minus the aftertaste, I'm not sure it's all that different from KBS.

Appearance- Pours black as oil with the same consistency. Not a lot of head formed but I gave it a very gentle pour. Almost no cap but a fairly decent collar and it leaves a hell of a lot of dirty brown lacing.
Smell- Wow, as advertised. Big on the vanilla right from the start. Lots of roasted coffee and cream with gentle whiffs of "Kentucky". The bourbon is a lot more mellow than I would have guessed but definitely for the better. Light notes of raw cocoa and bitter bakers chocolate round out the nose. This beer actually smells just like a vanilla Starbucks. A touch of maple syrup in the nose but it's extremely light and honestly not all that noticeable.
Taste- Big roasted chocolate and caramel malts give a gentle sweetness to start that slowly gives way to the gentle "Kentucky" Bourbon. The whiskey is more than present but very subtle. Oaked vanilla and dark cherries are present along with the coffee. The espresso and vanilla are very nice but not as dominate as the nose implied. Finishes bitter with a light maple syrup aftertaste and the slightest flavor of alcohol. Considering the 10% ABV, it's amazing how little you can taste. The maple honestly doesn't really shine until long into the aftertaste. It lingers and lingers, amazing.
Mouthfeel- Thick and velvety with a very full, creamy feel. Carbonation is very light and absolutely perfect.
Drinkability- Like its little brothers (KBS and Breakfast Stout) it's just a f'n phenomenal beer. It may have a tinge more sweetness than both but it's fairly minimal and really not that intrusive. I do wish it was a bit more different than KBS but that's my only minor complaint. Great shit!

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

After not reviewing much for a year, I suddenly see that there are about 30 beers on the top 100 that I've taken notes on but not reviewed. Time to get to work...

Appearance: Similar to KBS. Black oil with a light brown head.

Aroma: Similar to KBS but with some maple syrup. Coffee, Chocolate, Vanilla, Oak.

Taste: Buttery toffee, Vanilla, Dark Chocoalte, Maple Syrup finish.

Mouthfeel: Flattish, oily, boozey.

Drinkability: Very good.

Another outstanding stout form one of America's truly great stout brewers.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

Opening night at Birch and Barley / Churchkey, special appearance by a white whale of a beer, Canadian Breakfast Stout from Founders on draft.

Served in a snifter, beer looks as you might expect. Black, thick, brown thin head carbonation low to moderate. Head leaves minimal lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very complex. There is a dominant aroma of cream or milk, with hints of wood, chocolate, sweet, some smoke, and a tiny sour note in there as well.

This is one of the most balanced and drinkable beers I have ever had. Seriously. Mouthfeel is good, not too thick, not thin at all. Flavors line up well with the aroma. The beer warmed a bit, probably around 50 - 55 degrees when I was drinking it. The cream flavors come through, in the back there is some, slight, roast, a good balance for sure. Lots of chocolate and some wood notes.

This beer lived up to the hype for me. If you ever get an opportunity to try it, do it. Its amazing.

From notes 7-18-09

Eye: Exactly what you'd expect, thick and black. Tannish head, creamy and almost cascading even though no nitro is used on this one. At first when poured into my new "reviewing (pint) glass" the head collapsed and lacing sucks. When poured into my older glass-500 beers and only washed out with boiling water, I get a nice thick creamy light brown head and some pretty decent lacing. However, the head still falls to less than what it began at...retention and lacing could be could be a bit better, but thats bout it.

Nose: Great stout quaility here. Lots of roasted notes and chocolate character here. Some ground coffee bean notes as well. Maple syrup notes in here too, faint but there. I think that if I didn't know to look for it I probably would not have even picked it up. Its very much in the background, but definitely there. Founders does it again, the name says it all, breakfast stout.

Tongue: Chocolate notes, roasted flavors and coffee bean all come through in this beer. Theres some sweetness too in here, maybe its from the maple syrup barrel, can't be sure. Getting a dark fruit on the front of the tounge, maybe like raspberries or something like that, kinda reminds me of tart cherries. Almost like Bell's Cherry Stout in the way it comes through...but less specific and more generic. An overall perceived tartness on the front of the tongue, and its definitely from the yeast and not any fruit. Maple syrup flavor is in here, but for me, its hard to find, it mixes in there so well that its kinda hard for me to pick out. I mean there's a big difference between KBS, CBS, and just the Breakfast Stout. You'd definitely be able to tell them apart side by side. The more I think about it that fruitiness I get on the front of the tongue is from the maple syrup barrel. Fruitiness seemed the best way to describe it but once I look closer I think that its a maple syrup flavor. Definitely complex.

Feel and Drinkability: Smooth and velvet like on the palate. Low carbonation is perfect for this one. Body is thick and heavy, slick on the palate. There is nothing I'd do to this beer to make it feel any better. I don't think that there's anything that could be done to make if feel any better. This one is easy to drink, its so damn good that each sip is as good as the previous, makes a beer like this very dangerous, but I like to live dangerously...haha...no but I do like the beers that are dangerous like this one. Flavor just lingers too, it stays with you for a while. I mean this is already my second growler. Now I did share the first one with some friends, but this one I filled today is all for me, it was too good for me not to review it, too good for me not to go back to. Such a great beer, I hope that this guy will end up in bottles at some point. Really one of the best Double Stouts I've had in a long time. Really quality, if you can get your hands on some then do so. Its well worth the 14.99 I paid for a growler. Actually I'd say its worth much more than that, making this a real good deal.

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

The used motor oil of 10,000 miles, that brown layer that lazily floats atop and settles down to an inky black in which you can see your reflection. The tradition, you know, the things our fathers taught us, long before we knew what it was like to fall in love... we knew how to mow the grass, change the oil, tinker, work on our lawnmowers and go-karts and whatever-it-was-you-had...
This aroma, though, unlike when Mom would say, "Ugh! You smell of gasoline! Go take a shower!" No, this one of rich espresso, woody maple, brown sugar and cream, light warm alcohol, and it somehow smells thick.
And so we would spend our saturdays chasing airplanes, or getting covered in black oil up to our elbows, and loving every minute, as we were learning how to be men, how to be just like Dad.
Those shots of thick espresso, the flavour of maple syrup on the morning's pancakes, the only meal Dad ever made on a saturday morning. And it may be chopping wood, the smell of a fresh oak log, or the night's fire and soft smoke, but this is different, Dad never had bourbon when I was young. The bourbon is in there in force, but softly balanced with the other aspects.
Thick and chewy, as natural motor oil should be, but this is a delicate monster of bourbon, maple, oak, and famous espresso. There are a few bubbles in there, though not many, just enough to give it an even more full-bodied impression on the palate. The oily-syrup slides down the throat and gives way to a warm, lingering bourbon note.
So take a moment, remember when you learned those things, the things that you can think back on fondly, the cold mornings or the hot days, the aroma of pancakes and maple-syrup when you woke up, or, if your Dad did smell like bourbon, of that. It's a delicious beer, one that well deserves to be highly sought after.

Thanks to Wespatrick for sharing.

WOW!!! Full bodied and creamy...the roasted coffee, chocolate, caramel, woody vanilla, and maple syrup...Founders Brewery are certified Geniuses! Superb nose, can smell just about everything but the kitchen sink! Extreme light mouthfeel, one can fall into the trap of drinking way too many without realizing the 9.4%ABV may knock you on your a**. I wish I had a KBS next to this to compare flavours!

4.58/5  rDev -1.7%

Drove three hours one way to Flying Saucer in KC to taste this beer.

A- Opaque with a thin brown head.

S- A little restrained on the nose. Dark chocolate chips, bourbon, coffee, maple, wonderful subtle smoke.

T- Rich pancakes chased with espresso. Light raisin, a milky sweetness mid palate.

M- Slightly viscous but enough carbonation to stay drinkable.

D- Alcohol is well hidden and a sheer joy to drink as it's not bitter like the original.

Had the pleasure of trying this at the Flying Saucer KC on 10/01/09:

4 oz pour-

A: pretty basic looking. Like your typical Imperial Stout. Deep black with a small dark brown head. Looks good and thick.

S: wow, what a smell. At first it smelled strongly of coffee and bourbon with hints of maple and a bit of alcohol. After letting it warm it the smell totally changed. Everything mellowed and aromas of bitter chocolates with brown sugar and oak and some vanilla.

T: one word-amazing! All the things to describe the smell is exactly how I would describe the taste. Bitter sweet up front with a warming alcohol feeling on the way down. Got so much more amazing the warmer it got. I must say that drinking it closer to room temp is by far the best and only way to drink it.

M: thick, heavy, oily, warm

D: Very drinkable for the higher alcohol content. It was so smooth I could drink it all night.

I would have to say that this is the best Imp Stout I have ever had to this point in my life. Very grateful for having the opportunity to try this amazing beer. Would HIGHLY recommend everyone try this beer is you have a chance.

Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company