Join our email list →

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 10.60% ABV

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.
Reviews: 961 | Hads: 4,069
4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured a very dark brown, nearly black with a small lingering brown head. Aromas of oak, bitter chocolte, espresso, light vanilla and a hint of maple. Palate was medium bodied, smooth, with flavors of roasted malt, coffee, maple syrup, oak and bourbon, with a smooth warming finish.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%

A black beer. Period. Creamy off brown head, simple lacing.

Coffee dominant aroma, not quite as strong as the KBS, but this one has more caramel, chocolate and almonds in the background.

Upfront flavor is coffee. Caramel, maple and almond come through in the middle and the end is mostly creamy dark chocolate. Throughout is a soft ripe black plum that provides a bit of a nibble.

Smooth overall. Feel is a touch light for style, yet at 9.4 it's easy to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

It's always the best high abv beers that lead to the worst low behavior. So some of this was left on a sidewalk in Brooklyn, but that said, I was happy to have the experience of drinking it. Had on tap at a distributor event (S.K.I.) at the Blind Tiger Ale House in the West Village. There was a sixtel of it and that thing flowed freely.

Appearance: Solid and thick and dark. Nice initial head and it sustains well too. Great lacing.

Smell: I've had the GI BCS, and thought this might have a similarly overwhelming aroma, except of Canadian Whiskey instead of Bourbon. I was pleasantly surprised, because the aroma was present but not too powerful. The general coffee, chocolately stout smell could still come through.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich, and lovely.

Drinkability: Except for the high abv that prevents it from being a session beer, this is a mighty tasty treat to enjoy fully.

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%

A counter pressure hand bottle. 3 oz. in a snifter.

Dark black with hints of brown around the edges. A few bubbles, but no real head.

Smells of cocoa powder, molasses, coffee, brown sugar, and some maple syrup.

Tastes really similar to kbs plus some maple syrup. Cocoa, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, coffee and some bourbon.

Mouthfeel is robust, thick and oily, and low carbonation.

Awesome. Really similar to KBS with a nice maple sweetness as well. Also, not as raw as quite KBS.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

A - a dark black color with a typical tan head

S&T - very complex, with an amazing series of flavors as one savors a sip. Coffee, oatmeal, bourbon are among main components of taste and aroma. Maple syrup used in aging makes a subtle but significant contribution to this wonderful drink. Long-lasting taste and well-balanced taste components, if a trifle sweet.

M - full bodied with adequate carbonation.

This is the best stout/porter I've ever had! I tried Founders KBS at the same time. The taste, balance and complexity of the CBS were clearly superior, but then I am not a fan of bourbon which is a bit more pronounced flavor component in the KBS

4.4/5  rDev -5%

Draft pour at the blind tiger

A: black, thin head, coffee like

S: booze, coffee, sweet,

T: kbs with out the burbon, coffee stands out,

M: smooth linering flavor

D: perfectly brewed beer, more drinkable than kbs, impressive beer, founders one of the most sold breweries around.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Spent the evening sipping on snifter after snifter with the owner of Founders at the Milwaukee Beer Week event at Sugar Maple.

A: jet black, small half finger of mocha hued head, small soapy lace ring

S: sweet maple syrup, chocolate, not bitter coffee, about as smooth as a big stout can be,

T: again super smooth, chocolate, maple syrup, roast coffee beans with out the harshness, just a hint of hop bite in the finish

M: full chewy body yet super smooth going down, Hardly any carbonation

D: Hands down the easiest drinking big stout I've ever had. I thought KBS was unbeatable. I was wrong. I had no problem polishing off 3 8oz snifters of this stuff. I could of had more if it weren't for my stinking job I had to wake up for.

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

Drank as part of a Founders Breakfast flight at the Porter's 2 year anniversary.

Pours black as sin with a small, tight tan head and somewhat heavy lacing. Smells of rich chocolate and roasted coffee. Take the flavors of KBS, tone down the bourbon booziness, and mellow it out with more vanilla, dark chocolate and some sugary maple. Creamy, almost chewy. Thick. Mouthcoating.

It seems so simple. Take out some of the hot aspects of KBS by some more barrel aging. The maple helps to round out the harsher notes that usually take longer to smooth in a cellar.

I loved this beer. It's scary how good it is.

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%

Had this at Fathead's today. A couple 9.5 oz servings poured into an snifter.

4.0 A: Pitch black color. Came with about one finger of frothy light brown head with average retention and not really any lacing.

5.0 S: Very complex and the balance between the components is incredible. Coffee is the strongest aroma, with sweet maple syrup, bourbon, oakiness and vanilla, and bitter chocolate playing complementary roles.

5.0 T: All the components of the nose are found in the taste. However, the coffee is even stronger and is the focus of the taste. Maple syrup is a bit stronger. The bourbon is in perfect proportions; just enough to make the beer better without dominating. Semi-sweet chocolate and some roasted barley.

4.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate amount of carbonation. Fairly creamy and super smooth. Could be a bit thicker, but what else could you want in a beer this good.

5.0 D: Excellent beer. I ended up getting 2 pours for myself at the bar and I'm drinking another nearly two pours after my failed attempt at a handbottle trade. I'll put it this way...after nearly 40 oz of CBS today, I would still like another glass.

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

10oz pour (two of 'em, actually) at a breakfast beer event at Fatheads...served in a small snifter

A - one finger of loose and creamy dark khaki foam, settles quickly to a thin film and ring around the glass, some spotty but sticky lacing left behind. the beer is pitch black.

S - sweet maple syrup, oak, coffee, and bourbon. good balance between these, with nothing sticking out more noticeably than the last.

T - maple syrup, oak, vanilla sweetness...some slightly bitter coffee is held in check by dark chocolate, and a warming bourbon. very sweet yet balanced...very suitable for breakfast.

M - medium body, maybe a touch thin. strong prickly carbonation but not overdone. falls apart just a bit at the end, could use some heavier body to hoist up the extra dose of sweetness.

D - always a treat to get this one...feel like this year's version but a little weaker than the past, with a thinner mouthfeel and less of the delicious maple syrup flavors making its way through (we got some of the syrup again too, its heavenly). drinkable and hard to find a better way to start the day.

4.92/5  rDev +6.3%

Flying Saucer wrapped up the first ever Raleigh Beer Week in style by tapping this wonderful beer! Served in a tulip glass a deep motor oil black with a nice tan head that diminished to a thin layer and left a few spots of lacing on the glass. The aroma was very fragrant roasted malts with hints of oak and cocoa. The taste was a wonderfully complex amount of roasted malts, smooth sweet maple, and mild espresso, even more tasty than I had hoped! The beer was very smooth and enjoyable, there is a bit of alcohol presence, of course, but it is very well hidden. I have to say, I had high hopes for this one and it did not disappoint, one of the best beers I've ever had, hands down.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this one on tap 2-3 weeks ago over at Churchkey. At the time, I liked it, but still thought the KBS was better. However, after thinking about it and in retrospect, I was out with friends, spent most of my time and energy enjoying their company, and wasn't able to give this brew my full attention. Fast forward a couple of weeks.... I was out beer shopping in downtown DC and came upon a great bookstore and tap house I had always heard great things about, but had never experienced - Kramerbooks. I went inside and the bartender handed me a draft menu and low and behold.... there it was!

A: Very dark, pitch black even, with a great deal of carbonation for a beer this style. It poured with about an inch worth of head. This one's a beauty!

S: Maple and coffee (just like the name dictates), with hints of chocolate and caramel. It had a very candy-like sweetness, as apposed to a brown sugar-type one.

T: Founders BS with maple sweetness. How to describe this best .... Hmmm...Caramelized, coffee and maple infused, dark chocolate cotton candy, melted into liquid form and slightly chilled. Simply amazing!

M: Surprisingly creamy and smooth. Some of the coffee ground notes I found offensive in the BS are now muted, and the high grade maple prevails.

D: This beer is pure "man candy." No need for syrup, I think I'll just pour this over my waffle!

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%

What would you do for a CBS? about 30 mins before tapping the keg, I broke my foot! I sat at the bar waiting for them to tap, in pain. Enjoyed my one glass and went off to the hospital...

Pour motor oil dark with a thing, mocha head. Very strong aroma, lots of burbon and coffee. Chocolate, toffee, coffee, maple, burbon, and an overall roastiness. nice complex taste. Shifts between the coffee and bitter chocolate flavor, to a burbon with a ending hint of maple. full bodied and very silky smooth feel to it. Very enjoyable drinking it. was a pleasure, but next time im going to the hospital 1st

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served into a goblet shaped snifter. Dark beige head, oily lacing, moderate retention. Aroma of chocolate, coffee, some malt sweetness, some alcohol in the nose and no doubt some hop notes hiding behind the roasted flavors. In the taste, the alcohol is surprisingly well hidden But still warming and the feel is creamy and very smooth. Coffee and roasted malt flavors dominate with chocolate nicely in the background. Overall, hard to find anything in this beer undesirable and it certainly is worthy of the great reputation it has.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Thin layer of espresso-like head, some spotty lacing, deep ebony in color with a hint of ruby - 4.50, S: Smells solidly of maple syrup and double fudge brownie, medium whisky aromas, strong sugary mocha - 4.50, T: Like the nose the maple syrup is loud, there is also a heavy dose of both dark and milk chocolate, at the tail end of the beer a little citrus charm shows itself through all the malts - orange is the most prominent, sweetness is a little brash but not cloying, quite a bit of vanilla and whisky, the whisky and maple syrup meld together quite nicely, an amazing flavor profile - 5.00, M: Extremely smooth, almost velvety with just a hint of grainy grittiness - 5.00, D: A mind-blowing beer, in a world of extreme beers this one pushes the bar up, dangerously drinkable - 4.50

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in KC.

The beer was served in just about every type of goblet/snifter/chalice/tulip glass they could find. My share was handed to me in a wine glass...my serving appeared to be a few ounces less than what everyone else at our table got, but I was still happy to have a pour of Canadian Breakfast Stout sitting before me.

The beer was very dark brown/black with a thin chocolate brown head. There were notes of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and maple in the nose. Based on the smell, I was expecting the beer to have a very sweet maple flavor, but I was wrong. While the beer was definitely sweet, the maple flavor was very mild and almost non-existent. It became a little more noticeable as the beer warmed. The dominant flavors initially were the chocolate and coffee, along with some roasted malts. Hints of bourbon are also slightly noticeable, but nowhere near the extent of KBS.

Overall, an excellent beer that I would not hesitate to try again. If you have the chance to try this beer, do not miss out!

4.04/5  rDev -12.7%

Draft at Founders. Dark as ever black/brown with a nice tan head. Notes of chocolate and coffee in the nose. Maple not that present. Very smooth taste. Good but really expected more out of his after hearing about it for so long. I wish I could have said this was the greatest beer I have ever had but I felt let down in the end. The look and mouthfeel were spot on though for me, it just fell a little short in the taste.

Draft at Mackenzies for ABR. Poured a very dark brown color with a reddish tan head that quickly settles to a slight collar. The aroma is more coffee and leather than I remember with slight chocolate aromas as well. Nice coffee taste with dark chocolate bitterness. Again, I really don't pick up major maple flavors at all although it has a pretty malty sweet taste although as it warms but you do get a slight maple aroma as it warms. Medium mouthfeel, wish it was a little heavier. Pretty drinkable. Lingering bitter coffee flavor.

4.37/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On at in a 10oz glass at Bodega on 8/16/10

Very dark brown; looks all but jet black. A few cola-brown highlights peek through around the edges. Poured about 1/8th inch of hot-chocolate colored foam that skimmed out, leaving ring on the inside. Essentially no retention by the end & only a couple random streaks of lace.

Incredibly smooth & structured aroma. Vanilla, bourbon & maple jump right out. Roasted dark malts are appreciable; molasses, especially & brown sugar. Maybe a spot of dark chocolate. Faint earthy undertones. Doesn't at all smell boozy. The aroma is distinctly maple once warmed.

Tastes far more bold that suggested by the aroma. It has a decent amount of heat. Though not cloying, it is noticeable. Neither does bourbon run rampant; it's nicely seated amid notes of vanilla & wood. Swaths of maple add a layer of complexity. The base stout is solid, too. Roasted malts with a penchant for burnt tones. Molasses, brown sugar & possibly a hint of caramel & toffee. Not overly sweet. Seems to be a mild notion of dry, roast coffee. Slightly bitter toward the finish.

Rather full-bodied with a deep-seated grittiness. Has kind of a coating feel, too. Carbonation is a bit high, in my opinion. There's an effervescent prickliness that doesn't work in the beer's favor. A smoother feel would be ideal. Residuals of the flavor profile linger, as does a mild bitterness.

Drinkability is really impressive considering the magnitude of the beer. I like it much more than KBS; I find it has better integration. Highly recommended if you come across it. Columbus BAs - get it at Bodega while you can.

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Extremely dark, almost black in the glass, but some light makes it into the corner of the glass. A very small tan head sits at the surface until the end, leaving a nice lace on the glass for an imperial stout. Looks great, but I've seen some that look much more intimidating. Impressive overall.

S - Sweetness in the form of vanilla and maple syrup, notes of coffee and chocolate, and of course I get a good bit of bourbon. Nowhere near what I smell with KBS, which is a good thing for me, but the alcohol is alive in the aroma here. Extremely pleasant overall.

T - I get a strong maple coffee flavor up front, mixed with some chocolate and fairly notable bourbon flavor (again, nothing close to the bourbon in KBS, so I'm excited for the rest of this one). This is a pretty darn sweet brew, but that didn't stop me from having multiple glasses. I guess I should expect a lot of sweetness in a BS. I preferred this one as it warmed since it was initially served a bit too cold. The flavors really explode and blend nicely to create possibly the best stout I've tasted to date. This brew was somewhat warming, but that doesn't surprise me at all. Taste is off the charts, overall.

M - Not as thick and chewy as I would have guessed (that's a plus), almost thin for an imperial stout, but very smooth. I feel like the carbonation is spot on... There isn't too much at all, which is how I like my heavy stouts.

D - Well I had no issue downing 30 oz. of this delicious beer during happy hour so I'd say it's a heck of a drinkable beer for what it is. You wouldn't want to slam them all night or else you'd probably get sick, and you wallet would be empty (rightfully so). It's a beer that you'll rarely have a chance to try. If you see this on tap, pick up a glass, and don't be hesitant to order another. By the way, I DEFINITELY prefer this to KBS. Much more pleasant and I don't get the liquor and heat that I got from KBS.

4.37/5  rDev -5.6%

Lucky enough to have this on draft while I was up in Madison for the Great Taste...

Very dense dark black oily pour. Aroma is sweet with some slight maple notes, but this maple aspect comes though much more strongly in the taste. Sweet maple, dark chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, oak, coffee - its all here and more. Simply delicious. SUPER smooth and remarkably easy to drink - this one is dangerous! Will cherish every sip if I ever get to try it again. Fantastic brew.

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this on tap @ Churchkey. I was third in line waiting, by the time the doors opened there were over 20 people waiting to get inside.

Decanted into a 10oz. snifter from a pint glass as they were having carbonation issues for the first few beers.

This beer is dark black with no discoloration around the edges. Thick creamy head that dissipates fairly quickly to an oil slick coating. For the amount of maple syrup in the aroma I was slightly disappointed in it not following through to the flavor. Body is astonishingly light for the abv and complexity of this stout. Bourbon flavor is enjoyable but off set by the sweetness of the beer. The two pours I was able to get went down way to easily, especially for 10$ a pour. It was pretty unanimous at our table that it was a mellower sweeter KBS, which we were all happy with.

If you know your going to have a chance to drink this, bring pancakes.

4.28/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Pours near pitch black. No light gets through even in the narrow serving glass. The tan head is just under a finger deep and appears tight and thick. It slowly recedes to a thick cap on the brew. Lacing is plentiful all the way down the glass. Very good job in this department.

S - Aroma is light but still pleasant. Alcohol is present all the way through and has a bourbon type heat to it. Primary aromas are a combination of bittersweet chocolate and milk chocolate. They quickly fade to reveal some roasted and smokey notes. Maple syrup only has a light showing here.

T - Blast of maple immediately hits the palate at first sip. I have to say, it mixes well with the other stout flavors. Lots of roasted malt goodness permeates every aspect of this beer. Alcohol isn't covered as well as in the aroma. It's warm. Very warm. Midway some vanilla comes out. Finishes with heavy charcoal and a little more maple.

M - Medium bodied with a light and smooth carbonation. The finish starts off sweet and creamy and ends warm.

D - Drinkability is pretty good. Alcohol almost gets in the way but consistently stays just a notch under hot. The flavors come together to make a really tasty libation. I must say though, one pint is probably enough. Any more than that, and I see the maple aspect getting a little cloying. Still a highly recommended brew if you get a chance to try it.

4.52/5  rDev -2.4%

Had the pleasure of trying this out on-tap at Bodega tonight.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is a very dark chocolate fudge color. It's damn near onyx and opaque. There are light burgundy highlights at the outermost edges, but it's very dark and ominous. A thin layer of bubbles covered the surface. They're mocha brown and dissipate quickly. Lacing was spotty and light. Perhaps a little too much abv.

The nose is impressive. It kicks off with an excellent mix of roasted coffee and bittersweet dark chocolate. Coffee seems fairly prominent, and it smells all the better for it in my view. Bourbon is noted, but isn't overpowering. Reminds me of KBS in that sense. That's my preferred approach with barrel aged stouts. Ancillary notes of vanilla and oak are present. A touch of maple syrup is noted, and adds quite a bit of character. More than I expected. Alcohol is present. It's big beer. If you're offended, get over it.

I'm really impressed with Canadian Breakfast Stout. I had high expectations and they are met. Roasted coffee or espresso blends with dark, bittersweet chocolate initially. The chocolate malt base is very sturdy (and tasty). Bourbon is definitely in the mix, but definitely has a restrained taste. It's there, but isn't too bold. Good call. It complements the stout flavors very well. Secondary flavors of vanilla, oak, light molasses, and anise are noted. Maple syrup is noted throughout. It has a nice flavor and adds some character. But I don't think it improves it materially. Just my take. Alcohol is noted, but isn't warming or hot. Finishes chocolaty with a touch of bourbon.

Canadian Breakfast Stout has a medium body that leans toward thick with warming. It's nice and smooth. Carbonation is dialed back nicely. It's good, but more body would probably improve it a little. Drinkability is excellent. This is damn tasty stuff. No question. It goes down too easy for a beer of its stature. I'll stop at one glass, but would love another.

I really had high hopes and expectations for Canadian Breakfast Stout. Founders certainly didn't disappoint. This is great beer. Personally, I don't like it quite as much as KBS, but that's just my preference. I don't think the maple flavor adds that much. It's good though, and it certainly doesn't hurt things. More than solid-all around otherwise. If you have the opportunity to get out and try this one, you certainly should. In typical Founders fashion, it's excellent.

4.02/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to beermebaby89113 for bringing back some of this potent potable from his trip back east.

Pours black with a tan head and little lacing or carbonation to this bad boy.

Complex smells of coffee, maple, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate. Very intriguing and great smell.

Great taste of swirling maple, vanilla, chocolate, a little bit of heat.

I loved the body of this beer but the finish to was too bitter with coffee. More maple and vanilla please.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

On tap at Acadia Cafe, in a fluted tulip. I hate these, I'd rather have balloon snifter. Waaah.

Solid ebon hue, lovely cocoa-tan head, small, but staying, leaving some lace. Looks the part, gets me anticipating something great!

Aroma: Sweetness in the nose, coffee first, then chocolate, a bit of molasses, here comes the maple...whiskey makes a cameo.

Taste: Big, beefy and brawny, ...chocolate starts it out, slathers itself all over the palate, floats and coats...there's hints of coffee too. Oats bring the smoothness, layer on layer of flavor bring the slickness. Nice roasty character on the palate. This is one big in taste, but not overpowering. The deliciousness in this, however, is through the roof.

Now, on to glass #2. It was so good, I had to have another. And I can't believe they still have this.

Rich, and sweet, but not overly so. Sugary maple mixes with coffee and chocolate, and somewhere in the middle, the bourbon peeps in. It might seem like a cacophony, but there's harmony here. Gets sweeter as we go...but the depth of the flavor makes up for that. An utterly rich and complex stout. Decadent? Oh,yeah. Mmmm, but it's amazingly delicious.

Ends very evenly on the palate. Could never call it dry, but it rounds out, and stays mellow. A definite nightcapper, something to settle down with, and close down your evening in style.

Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company