Founders Doom - Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Previously known as Hand of Doom.
Reviews by CHickman:
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a very cloudy orange amberish color with a foamy 2 finger bright colored snow white head that faded slowly, leaving good spotty lacing. Tons of bubbles in the head and racing up the brew, it looks like a good aged bottle conditioned Belgian ale.

Smells of pineapple, bourbon, orange peel, charcoal and wine up front; second whiff contains vanilla, oak or wine barrels, mint, brown sugar, caramel, light spices, tropical fruit, flowers, floral hops and merlot like tannins. The hop aroma was not as strong as I expected, nor was the booze or bourbon influence, but man was this sweet and complex with so much going on that it was almost confusing; enjoyable, but confusing.

Taste is unique; on one hand there is the evident barrel aging effect producing sweet wine and bourbon notes, and then there is the juicy hop sweetness that has citrus and pine notes bursting through and then fizzling out for an intertwined complexity. The smoky bourbon flavors come through, as does pineapple, mango, orange peel, guava, gummy bears, brown sugar, caramel and vanilla, and then seems different and complicated after each swallow. The malts and booze are present throughout the flavor, but the hops add juicy sweet fruit with each sip that dances between oaky and boozy, grainy and hoppy, all the while maintaining some form of balance which allows different accents to come through with each sip. I noted coconut, maple syrup, tart sour apple and cinnamon in separate sips, and yet the booze and ABV never let this turn nasty or offensive. Perhaps the hop bitterness calmed the barrel aging, as I can’t explain why this wouldn’t be borderline undrinkable with the strong vanilla and bourbon influence and clocking in at 10% ABV. Somehow it worked well enough to make this pretty drinkable for such a huge, full bodied beer. Don’t get me wrong, this beer puts the hurt on as that ABV hits you hard in every drop, but the experience and variety of flavors involved makes this quite intriguing and enjoyable. This is not a session beer, and I wish I would have split the bomber, but I’m still glad I tried it.

Mouthfeel is oily slick and very creamy, and then the oaky and bourbon notes halt the slide and give it a chewy thick feel that is sweet like honey or syrup with the same kind of consistency; fruity notes and a hop bitterness come through at the end, allowing the barrel aged notes to give off some smoky bourbon-like flavors and peat moss or roasted grain dryness that is almost tart.

This beer was not what I expected it to be, but it was still fairly enjoyable and worthy of the money ($14) for the bomber. A very nice experiment by Founders, but to be honest I’m not sure that I’d buy it again.

NOTE: After thinking about this beer review a week or so, I give it extra credit for being so smooth considering that this is a big burly beer; a DIPA aged in bourbon barrels should have strong booze and be packed with flavor, so in that regard this brew delivered exactly what the brewer set out to do.

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

Glad to get one of the few bottles that Roger has over at Bestway.Poured into an imperial nonic a...like others have notes a honey tinged lighter golden with a nicely formed half finger white head atop that left multiple broken rings of lace behind as it settled.Aromas were lighter than expected but some nice vanilla/bourbon and sweet fruity notes were there,the hops were somewhat subdued giving off light resiny notes.One thing I will say about the flavor profile is that the bourbon barrel is a major flavor component but it doesn't smack you in the face,all the flavors seem to be more subtle but still providing enough.The hops are more leafy and slightly citric,a good shot of peppery spice hits in the back end.Not in your face bourbon or alcohol in my opinion but neither are the hops,a very good beer with out big hops.

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

The (long-awaited) Doom, finally being bottled (previously known as "Hand of Doom" and only available at the Founders brewpub in Grand Rapids). I was a little less than thrilled to learn about this beer, simply because I'm not a huge fan of the flavor meshing between barrels and IPAs, but I'll never shun anything before trying it at least once. Plus, Double Trouble is amazing, so I owe it to myself to see how this one turned out. Picked up a bottle at my local shop, but thanks to Chris for offering to split his with me.

Doom pours a vibrant amber color with very, very nice clarity. It's capped with a thick and foamy white head - fine bubbled, vibrant, and bright. Retention is very nice and it leaves lots of webbed lacing on its decent down the glass. From the appearance, Doom actually reminds me a bit of Pliny the Elder. A very clean looking (albeit barrel-aged) double IPA. The clarity in this one is truly a remarkable thing.

I can't think of any better way to describe the aroma than to just say it's like stuffing your face directly into a pineapple. Super tropical aroma with a light bit of sugary sweetness. Surprisingly enough, I am picking up almost no bourbon at at all in the aroma. Hell, if it weren't for the very faint vanilla and wet oak hints, I would have no idea that this thing was barrel-aged. I know it only sat in barrels for four months, but I'm seriously picking up zero bourbon on the nose. Nevertheless, the tropical essence is still fantastic.

Holy shit, I don't get it... The nose contains almost no bourbon, but the first sip is loaded with it. Bourbon raids the tongue immediately - it's not really "hot" and doesn't come with a "burn", but the bourbon flavor is rampant on the palate right out of the gate. Needless to say, the fruitiness from the nose is much lower; the taste buds are also picking up some light oak, vanilla, and very faint pineapple. I can honestly say this is unlike any other beer I've ever had.

The hops are pretty much buried beneath all of this other stuff, but they do have a small, leafy and bitter presence at times. Some oaky warmth in the aftertaste with more bourbon flavors. As Doom warms up, the pineapple, tangerine, and mango notes actually get a bit stronger and it tastes a little better in my opinion, but I'm still not really digging the heavy booze flavors meshing with my Double Trouble. Medium-thick bodied, pretty slick on the palate and a little sticky at times; good carbonation for an IPA.

Well, this was weird. The smell was fantastic, it really was. I was more than let-down by the taste, however, as it tasted almost nothing like the smell. The bourbon flavors were coming through a bit too much and shadowing the beautiful tropical fruit notes. I know the bourbon was "supposed" to be heavy seeing as how this is a bourbon barrel-aged beer, but I don't know if I'm on board with this craze just yet. I think I'll stick to Double Trouble.

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: A medium amber with good clarity. The persistent head is off-white and mostly creamy.

S: This smells great almost Christmasy with a strong pine-like hops aroma while the oak is bringing cinnamon, oak and some vanilla to the nose. The hops bring plenty of citrus too just their first impression if more of pine. There is a moderate malt sweetness and a floral alcohol notes.

T: Complex hops, malt and oak dominate with an aggressive hops bitterness, a moderately-strong citrus, pine and herbaceous hops flavor and the oak again bringing a medium cinnamon and oak with some vanilla. There is a decent amount of malt backing up the hops and bringing a moderately-low caramel malt flavor with some sweetness. The balance is fairly bitter and the finish is off-dry. The aftertaste is of citrus hops, hops bitterness and cinnamon. The bitterness has a slightly harsh edge but it's not bugging me.

M: A medium-full bodied beer with a moderate level of carbonation and a some alcohol warmth.

O: A big flavorful bitter beer with a great blend of competing elements that resolves nicely.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery. It was served in a snifter with a nice 2 finger head. You can pick up bourbon, citrus, and perhaps vanilla on the first sniff. It smelled fantastic and tasted even better. It was very bitter when it was cold but as the beer warmed up it evened out nicely. I could pick up a nice, but pungent citrus taste at first. Then as it warmed I could pick up some vanilla, oak and some sort of buttery taste. I would look for this beer and get it again in a heartbeat.

4.65/5  rDev +14%