Founders Doom - Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Previously known as Hand of Doom.
Reviews: 319 | Hads: 1,603

I am surprised i hadnt rated this beer. This is the beer that an Imperial IPA should. Light golden in color smells of hops all around and the taste of hops in so intoxicating that its not funny. I loved this product so much. Well done to Founders for this beer My taste buds thank you very much (294 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +21.9%

A: a light golden color without much head.

S: Oak, bourbon, vanilla, buttered popcorn, balanced out with tropical fruit, papaya, guappa, grapefruit, and pineapple. after being overwhelmed by these flavors they mellow out and a floral and spicy characteristic come through. intriguing.

T: Once again, vanilla initially dominates. Then comes the bourbon and spicy rye. Then it becomes earthy and floral with a big dry finish. West coast pine is all over this thing.

M: smooth, creamy with a little burn on the end.

O: WOW! i don't know about everyone else but i truly loved this beer. Loved it. i didn't to like it this much but its hard not to love bourbon and oak mixed with an IPA. It has some crazy flavor that is all over the map. delicious. /98 (755 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

What can I say? Founders does it again, quickly becoming one of my favorite U.S. breweries. A friend bought a bottle and gave it to a few of us to share, so I wasn't able to enjoy it in a proper glass, but good company is good enough for me. Right away, big vanilla notes, and the sweetness of the bourbon aging is certainly present. Great hops, with a nice undertone of citrus for balance. Bitterness from the hops lingers, which is nice, and as the beer warms and opens up, the vanilla and bourbon become more balanced, and add a nice caramel-like taste. Truly a great beer. (576 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +20.6%

Although I had this beer a few weeks ago, as I look back on 2013, it is by far the finest one I had this year! A perfect combination of hops and malt with the backbone of bourbon. A lot of fun to drink and look forward to the 2 bottles in my cellar as they age! (261 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

I had this on tap, as well as from a bottle (750ml).
To start with, let me explain that my favorite Double IPA ever has been the Double Trouble by Founders. I was on board with this bourbon barrel version since I first heard of it.

A - Poured a low thin head, but was able to leave behind some lacing. The color was very clear, a bit more to a pale amber than gold, but very deep.

S - Sweet, Slightly Hoppy, Citrusy, Oak Barrel... All the factors of this beer come through in a very balanced way.

T - Surprised! I was not expecting the spicier notes of the barrel but more of the Bourbon that was not even as strong as I anticipated. Obviously built on the back bone of an IPA, this thing has balance. At 10% ABV, its too well hidden and this one goes down easy. EXCELLENT, too bad its not a regular beer for them, I could enjoy this for years to come.

M - Smooth, Full, yet complex and clean finishing with just enough sweet and hoppy tail to remind you you just tasted near perfection.

O - I want more, I want it often. Pricy but well worth the $$. I reccommed this to any beer drinkers that like bourbon barrel aged beers. Good luck trying to score some unless you can hit the taproom this week, this won't be lasting long. (1,231 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 release, poured into an 8 oz tumbler. Review based on tastings in April and June.

When poured, it leaves wide bubbles that span the neck of the bottle. This happened when There's not much head, it's a bit syrupy and pours somewhat flat. There was an irridescence to some of the foam, rainbows like soap.

The smell is sweet vanilla bourbon and hop forward. Pineapple, citrus, bitter piney ganja, malt, warmth, alcohol. There is definitely some hop complexity that you gotta look for in between the whiskey bloom. At the back end I taste what reminds me of line dried laundry gone a tad sour, from a lighter Founders taproom pilsner that showcased a single strain.

Mouthfeel is great for this style. It's pretty flat, a bit viscous.

Overall, I look forward to another release of Doom. I love the hop selection they've used here, and the barrel aging adds a complementary element of flavor that other DIPAs lack. (920 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Founders Doom (opened fresh about three weeks after it hit Mass last year) is nothing short of fabulous, beautiful bourbon aroma that doesn't overwhelm hints of floral hops peak through well. On the first taste huge hit on bourbon followed right after by nice floral hop bitterness, more warming bourbon, vanilla and caramel on the backbone. This brew is huge, full bodied with a great smooth finish. Glad I tried it fresh the floral notes really carried through, with age Doom will really open up. (498 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Excited to try this beer I'm never a huge fan of barrel aged DIPA, but it's Founders they don't typically screw up any beers they've done in whiskey barrels. Pours a slightly hazed bright golden copper hue with a bright white head forming thick, with fine white lacing left behind evenly between sips. The nose comes off like a honey bourbon barrel, toasted oak, vanilla, a bit of charred barrel notes really impressive mild citric hops definitely muted from the barrel aging here. A beautiful marriage between DIPA and bourbon barrels, I'm in love with the first sip it's sweet with whisky malts, slightly vanilla charred oak with big alcohol and bitterness from the muted hops it's an amazing experience for any bourbon and DIPA lover it's the lovechild. It has a kiss of honey that makes the bourbon burn just wash away complex ale in all it's beauty I'm in love with this beer. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied residual sugars abound, great stuff throughout each sip not a bad sensation on the palate. Overall impressive to no end, I'm a fan of this beer...it's gone before you want it to be gone. It's that good don't believe me try it, please. (1,151 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

I had this at Founders on tap, served in a snifter.

Appeared a nice golden orange color, semi-hazy and very enticing. Aroma was of hops and hops, and a very fruity hop presence at that. Bourbon undertones remind me that this is going to be unique.

Incredible. Super mixed-fruit hops and a strong bitter aftertaste. I had an interesting reaction to this taste which took a little while for me to comprehend. At first I thought, wow this tastes like pineapple-orange juice. While it retained that association for me throughout, I realized that the bourbon flavors were synergistic and blending REALLY well with the fruity hop flavors, and for whatever reason this created like some sort of imitation pineapple flavor. I loved it, a lot.

Mouthfeel was rich and coating, and the drinkability was great for this ABV; you can take this beer at whichever pace you deem appropriate. It could have been just a weird personal palate thing with the pineapple, but coming from a DIPA-lover, this is probably the best DIPA I've ever had (over Hopslam, Double Crooked Tree, 90-minute). I do have some PtE coming in to me soon so perhaps the Hand of Doom will have a challenger...we shall see. (1,183 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Served at the brewery earlier today into a brandy glass. 10 oz. for $5.

A Golden brown, murky, big head, lots of big bubbles. 4.0

S Hops, malt, belgian yeast huge smell and very inviting, interesting. 4.5

T Malt candy sweet, hops to match with a great belgian yeast taste as well. I do not know how it can be improved. 5.0

M Big, huge. This demands your attention and returns that attention in a very gratifying way. 5.0

D Savored every drop, great beer! I would never let any of this remain in my glass! 5.0

Notes: Drinking this beer at Founders today reminds me of why I am a beer advocate. It is simply a work of art...something to behold. Why more brewers do not make more of this is beyond me. (705 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

I ordered a sample of this at Crunchys Bar in East Lansing, MI. This stuff blew me away, and soared above Double Trouble in Founder's pecking order.

Appearance- A clear, light amber color capped with a frothy white head.

Smell- Citrus, primarily grapefruit. A tinge of pine, and a hint of malt.

Taste- A perfect balance of malts and hops. Good God, this is one of the best beers to grace my palette in the longest time.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, and a nice little warming feeling when going down. This would be an ideal winter beer.

Drinkability- For as complex and strong as this beer is, I could probably drink a four pack with no problem...just for the sheer enjoyment of the taste.

Great job, Founder's. Keep it up. (723 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

Counter pressure bottle bottle thanks to badnewsbeers

A: Slightly cloudy golden orange color. Head is only about a quarter of an inch thick and does not retain all that well or leave any lacing.

S: Mixture of Vanilla and citrus hops that is heavenly. The bourbon is very light but mainly comes through as vanilla sweetness.

T: Oh man this is good. The citrus hoppiness and the bitterness of the pine blend very well with the sweetness of the vanilla, but there is also a very smokey quality that is very enjoyable. There is also a bit of a pepper note which adds to the overall flavor profile and complexity.

M: For the most part smooth, with some lingering bitterness. A touch of heat but that doesnt really bother me.

D: I could drink this nonstop for the rest of my life. I really wish founders would bottle this so that i could have it more often as it is one of my favorites (885 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

First thanks much to the generous pal that got me this (you know who you are!)
appearance: Clear honey with a steady stream of bubbles. For a 10+%, a huge whitish head and messy lacing.
smell: Until this warmed it was "merely" a damn good citrus and floral DIPA. After....damn...vanilla mixes with the other. Sweet bourbon mixes with the fine DIPA and vanilla.
taste: The taste is awesome from the chilly pour and only gets better. All the flavors of the nose with a final bitter finish balanced perfectly with the vanilla and bourbon. Damn.
overall: I thought this would be good, no idea it would be a masterpiece but it is. (626 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Having just tasted KBS for the first time, I am super excited to try another tasty barrel aged treat from Founders... DOOM is a clear, carbonated, brilliant copper hue. It's head is sudsy, and leaves ample lacing in it's wake. The aroma on this magnificent creation is simply breathtaking! The bourbon and fruit esters compete for your favor with each whiff. Vanilla cream, strawberry, apricot, french toast, and very bright citrus notes are interwoven into the scent.

The complexity and satisfying nature of the flavor is on par with KBS, without a doubt. If this libation was born a meal instead of a beverage it would definitely be a sweet, bready breakfast. The bulk of the flavor is soft, like pancakes or french toast, with a very clear taste of coconut flakes in the mix. Then, there is a crisp and sharp bite of hops and a wash of bourbon. The finish is dry and lightly burnt. For the alcohol content, the heat and perceived body is only moderate. Seek out this bottle - the Founders brewmaster proves yet again that he is a bonafide genius! (1,051 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I was on a mission to find KBS and I got even luckier to pick up Doom! Somebody never picked up their special order for this wonderful brew and I became the rightful owner. I feel sorry for the sap. Anyways...

A: Pours out a slightly hazy amber color with three fingers of off white head. Head was very thick with good retention leaving heavy and chunky spots of lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like pineapple upside down cake. Very tropical with pineapple and maybe coconut like smell. Sweet and buttery toffee.

T: Similar to the smell. A little bit of earthy hop bitterness and just enough presence of oak barrels.

M: Medium body that is oily and creamy. Carbonation in the light to medium range. Very smooth.

O: This beer was heavenly! Truly unique. Sort of breaks away from the traditional citrus/pine style. Great for the open-minded IPA drinker or any fan of barrel aged brews. (887 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery. It was served in a snifter with a nice 2 finger head. You can pick up bourbon, citrus, and perhaps vanilla on the first sniff. It smelled fantastic and tasted even better. It was very bitter when it was cold but as the beer warmed up it evened out nicely. I could pick up a nice, but pungent citrus taste at first. Then as it warmed I could pick up some vanilla, oak and some sort of buttery taste. I would look for this beer and get it again in a heartbeat. (481 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Glowing shade of golden yellow with some orange hues. Capped by some thick off-white foam.

S: Great aroma of citrus, tropical hops, honey, and some stick maple syrup. Some oak undertones as well as of booze and pine. It is almost as if the hops have been dipped in candied sugar.

T: Probably my favorite beer of the fest. The candied sugar, citrus hops are the dominant flavor with layers of tropical fruit, orange, honey, oak, and maple syrup. The complexity of this beer is off the charts.

M: Fuller-bodied with a slight syrupy texture along with low and smooth creamy carbonation.

D: I am truly amazed that this beer weighs in at 10.4% abv as it is completely hidden. Easy to drink and hard to put down.

Overall this is yet another fine offering from Founders that needs to be bottled. An extremely unique take on the American Double IPA and one that is sure to please. Highly Recommended. (1,007 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Again, thanks to Scalawags for this beer!

APPEARANCE: The first time I had this beer it was in a very dark room, so now that I get to drink it at home, in a well-lit room, I’m pretty shocked at how light it actually is. It leans more towards a straw, yellow color than orange and it is pretty hazy. About a finger’s worth of head foams up when the beer is first poured, but it quickly drops down to a very thin cap of head. However, that cap always covers the full surface of the beer. The lacing, by the way, is exceptional. It creates some very nice layers that are almost Guinness-like.

SMELL: There is bourbon all over this beer. Vanilla is the dominant aroma, which leads me to believe that this is a pretty fresh bottle (despite the lack of “bottled on/best by” date – come on Founders). A little oak, a lot of citrus and a touch of pine round this aroma out.

TASTE: As skeptical as I am of barrel-aged IPAs, when three of my favorite things in the world (Founders’ beers, IPA and Bourbon) are combined it’s hard for me to be upset. The only risk I take with this combo is that the bar is set too high. Nope. Not here.
This is a world class beer. All the citrus (grapefruit and orange in this case), pine, grass, tropical fruits and a touch of spice one might expect from a solid Double IPA are there, but vanilla, oak and some lighter fruit flavors from the Bourbon Barrel are there as well.

MOUTHFEEL: The carbonation is pretty low, only providing a slight tickle, but that is what should be expected from this masterpiece of a beer. The bourbon aging tones down the sparkle to a great degree, but takes nothing away from the mouthfeel. The body is much bigger than a typical IPA and it is as sticky as a Gordon from Oskar Blues. Excellent mouthfeel.

OVERALL: The concept of a barrel-aged IPA is a little weird to me. In fact, it is something I probably would never do if I owned a brewery. There is so much that can go wrong…and I’ve tasted a lot of that. Somehow, however, Founders always finds a way to make everything right. On the short list of breweries that don’t even know how to make a bad beer Founders is there. I feel guilty for drinking this without sharing. (2,206 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

The nose is so complex. Sweet like a honey bubblegum. Brings out a great floral bouquet. Flavor is so soothing. Double trouble is great but the barrel aging really takes it over the top. Beautiful golden color. Very well crafted. I would recommend you get one asap. (265 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A – Pours a golden orange with a solid finger of light cream head which lingers for a good 5 minutes. Lacing as fantastic – thick and unbroken around the edge of the glass.

S – Lots of oaky boozy bourbon, sweet vanilla, the slightest trace of tart citrus. Lacking DIPA qualities

T – Oh wow, initially just straight woody/oaky warm bourbon and some vanilla, minimal alcohol detectable. Eventually the bourbon subsides and delicious sweet and citrusy flavors come through, and the bitterness although mild (relative to the bourbon flavors) comes through. The aftertaste is sweet citrus flavors, mild bitterness, and a smokey oaked flavor.

M – Fairly light bodied for the flavor – well carbonated, making this more drinkable than it probably should be.

O – Absolutely fantastic – the more I drink the more I can get around the bourbon and the more immediately the DIPA qualities are picked up. Fantastic all the way around. (940 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from JTDay. You da man.

COLOR is a bright golden/yellow IPA.

SMELLS of light bourbon-y sweetness followed by grassy, earthy hops. I get some pine as well but the bourbon is more prominent.

TASTES almost exactly like one of them malt-forward hoppy American barleywines at first. It has that west coast citrus crispness, yet has a nice chocolate-y mouthfeel throughout. The hops acts as a wonderful countermelody to balance out the sweet bourbon mouthfeel. Gradually I'm tasting some rich apricot flavor in the finish. The vanilla from the bourbon is merely a backdrop in texture on the tongue.

This beer was extremely under-appreciated at the bottle share I went to. I was practically the only one finishing the last half of this 750mL (thank GOD). I'm glad people of BA gave it a higher rating. As big and crazy as this beer seems, Founders did a great job keeping the bourbon light in order to compliment the crisp nature of the DIPA hops. This beer can taste like a blonde barleywine in some respect, especially with some age. Come to think of it, I may want to get more of this.... (1,095 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was our tasting group second time tasting Doom. The first time we tasted it; it was fairly fresh and had a kick you in the head over powering Bourbon hit to it. This bottle had been aged for about a year and in that time it had a chance to mellow out a bit. This turned out to have a great effect on the beers drinkability. Big improvement, and made a great beer ever better. Our group has had a number of Founder's brews, and overall we feel as a group that this is probably one of the best brewers in the Country. (520 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%

A dark yellow to light amber color is presented in the glass. A quarter inch head appears that is white in color and slowly laces down the sides of the glass. A hop dominant aroma with citrus, pine, earthy scents; this is followed by a mild floral fragrance, all of which combines into a striking scent enveloping the nose. The hops dominate the taste, but it all starts with a malty, honey, maple syrup flavors that start out each and every sip. The hops gradually builds its strength with an intense citurs flavor and then a piercing earthy flavor takes over and stays on the palate for some time. A mild grass flavor does linger long after each taste is gone. The feel is watery at the front, with the gradual thickening and stickiness comes out as it reaches the back of the throat. The palate is left with a string arid dryness. The look of this beer was lighter in color than I expected, but the aroma and flavor are top notch. The texture is appealing and leaves a dry clean palate. This would be great with any spicy foods. (1,031 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What to say about this?! Perhaps one of the most different smelling and tasting beers out there. Founders has built a reputation for delivering outstanding unique off center bourbon beers and this is another example of how there is Founders and then everyone else.

Pours a clean orange with decent head. Smell is definitely something you don't experience with other beers. When first cracked there is a big upfront of bourbon but as the beer breaths you definitely get more of the double trouble citrus hops in combo with the bourbon.

The taste is of course unique too. Every sip is different. Sometime more hops and others more bourbon. I guess if I had one complaint would be the citrus is really mellowed from the bourbon.

Overall, as with almost all of the backstage series, I wish it is easier to get and that they would be brewed regularly. But this is an outstanding unique, off enter beer that a true craft beer enthusiast would definitely appreciate the complexity of the brew. Once again a world class offing from Founders. (1,039 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

I don't know why I keep buying these founder's special beers. CBS was ok but impossible to get a bottle of, the rest were easy enough to get but ranged from maybe with age (bolt cutter) to just plain awful (all the rest). Add in I'm not sure an IPA aged in a barrel has ever been even ok and again why I spent 15 dollars on this is beyond me. Still....founders does make a lot of good beers so maybe this one won't be awful.

L. Very light colored orange, almost clearly lager like when pouring from the bottle. A decent white cap but large bubbles so I don't expect them to last too long.

S. Hops and vanilla, really interesting mix. They have managed to just get the vanilla notes to really showcase over too much oak which can sour and turn hops away. Not that those elements aren't here but they are subtle and in the back ground like they should be.

T. Wow this is freaking great. Wonderful citrus ruby grapefruit and orange peels sweetened with vanilla and bourbon goodness. Rock candy meets some kind of sugary hop infused goodness. This is freaking amazing.

M. Thick and sugary like all the founders special releases but very well carbonated which gives it a light and drinkable element that has been missing in many of their past releases.

O. This is desert you'll be dreaming about. Perhaps not a perfect beer but this stuff is just amazing and worth honestly fighting over bottles. One of the best beers I've had this year and I regret not buying a second bottle. The beers been our a few days if not a week and they still had 7 more bottles in the store so I'd not even feel guilty for buying more!. (1,620 characters)

Founders Doom from Founders Brewing Company